THE ELEMENTAL CHRONICLE

By CaptNAndrews

In the kingdom of Ipuinia, the status of Aristricata relies on one thing: whether you have elemental blood or... More

Author's Note
BOOK ONE: THE CIRCLET
PROLOGUE
ONE | The Red Village.
TWO |
THREE |
FOUR |
FIVE | The Royal City
SIX |
SEVEN |
EIGHT |
NINE |
TEN |
ELEVEN |
TWELVE |
THIRTEEN |
FOURTEEN |
FIFTEEN |
SIXTEEN |
SEVENTEEN |
EIGHTEEN |
NINETEEN |
TWENTY |
TWENTY ONE |
TWENTY TWO |
Twenty Three|
Twenty Four |
Twenty Five |
Twenty Six |
Twenty Seven |
Twenty Eight |
Twenty Nine |
Thirty |
Thirty One |
Thirty Two |
Thirty Three |
Thirty Four |
Thirty Six |
Thirty Seven |
Thirty Eight |
Thirty Nine |
Forty |
Forty One |
Forty Two |
Forty Three |
Forty Four |
Forty Five |
Forty Six |
Forty Seven |
Forty Eight |
Forty Nine |
Fifty | Book one finale
BOOK TWO: THE PENDANT
Prologue |
One | Neorian
Two |
Three |
Four |
Five |
Six |
Seven |
Eight |
Nine |
Ten |
Eleven |
Twelve |
Thirteen |
Fourteen |
Fifteen |
Sixteen |
Seventeen |
Eighteen |
Nineteen |
Twenty |
Twenty-One |
Twenty-Two |
Twenty-Three |
Twenty-Four |
Twenty-Five |
Twenty-Six |
Twenty-Seven |
Twenty-Eight |
Twenty-Nine |
Thirty |
Thirty-One |
Thirty-Two |
Thirty-Three |
Thirty-Four |
Thirty-Five |
Thirty-Six |
Thirty-Seven |
Thirty-Eight |
Thirty-Nine |
Forty |
Forty-One |
Forty- Two |
Forty-Three |
Forty-Four |
Forty-Five |
Forty-Six |
Forty-Seven |
Forty-Eight |
Forty-Nine |
Fifty |
Epilogue |
BOOK THREE: THE GAUNTLET

Thirty Five |

461 27 14
By CaptNAndrews

Thirty Five |

            "The tournament will take place of the span of seven days my lady. The first night of the tournament will be a large welcome ball with all invited noble families, royal families, and elemental knights that will participate. On the second day the current royal elemental forces will fight including your brother, the crown prince and the princess and so on. The third day in the morning will be all new elementals, including yourself, and the afternoon will be the other elementals starting with the lowest rankings in each class to highest rankings. The fourth day will have a festival in the town to celebrate the end of the first phase. My lady, are you understanding so far?" Adyn asked gently while brushing my hair.

            I nodded slowly, "Yes."

            "The fifth day will be the start of the true purpose of the tournament. Elemental ranked winners from the first phase will fight winners from the royal guard. Most of the time those who have made it to the second phase get sponsors, however it is the second phase that the queen truly considers when she watches to add more royal guards into her forces."

            "Right," I replied slowly, "And the sixth day?"

            "On the sixth day, the fighting wraps up and there is a ending ball and finally, on the seventh day the queen will name the new royal guards, award prizes and often will express her thanks to whichever kingdoms decided to attend," Ayden replied.

            I frowned slightly, "Why does the royal elementals fight each other?"

            "Entertainment mostly," she replied with a shrug, "To prove to the queen they're still useful. They must prove that they deserve their standing." 

            My eyes narrowed, "That's foolish."

            "Ah," Ayden gasped, her eyes wide and her face red, "I-I couldn't say."

            I nodded slowly, my eyes moving over to Loli's face who was being extremely quiet. I watched her carefully as she pulled the laces free of my gown and relaced them. I had returned from the catacombs a few days ago and since then, she had been more than quiet. It was odd but I knew that with all that has been going on, it was understandable. Not to mention, the tournament was to start in a matter of days, because of this I had not seen Eliza since our journey.

            "What other kingdoms will come to the tournament?" I asked.

            Ayden perked up, "Oh our allies Neorian, Arianne, and Sophocles are invited. Neorian always replies to their invite. Arianne does not, they simply show up, and Sophocles always decline. Oh it's so wonderful, they always go over the top for the tournament. The Waerburh royals of Arianne are always so exciting, they sure do know how to party."

            "Ayden that's not appropriate," Loli snapped.

            My eyes flickered over to her, "I've heard of that too. The kingdom of Arianne throws the largest ball every few years and declare their land neutral grounds. They call it the Festival of Fun correct?"

            "Yes," she replied, her eyes dropping back down to my gown, "But we shouldn't talk ill of the royals. There is spies everywhere and with the tournament coming up we musn't speak of anything that can cause strife."

            I blinked. The royals of Arianne being huge partiers was nothing new. Their drinking habits and wild sexual nature was discussed throughout the lands. I had even heard that brothels pay more for woman from Arianne as they are known for their sexual aptitude. I'm sure even if they decided to come this year that they would not care if people discussed their sexual nature.

            "And will Neorian be here this year?" I asked.

            "Oh yes! I hear Crown Prince Aldrich will be attending," Ayden replied, a blush on her cheeks, "And I look forward to it too. He is quite handsome."

            My nose crinkled, "He is many things but I would not say handsome."

            "My lady please!" Loli said exasperated, "Mind your tongue."

            She was beginning to annoy me now.

            "I happen to know Aldrich and I'm sure he wouldn't mind my words," I gritted.

            Loli laughed, "My lady I remember his flirting well. I would not call it knowing the crown prince of Neorian; I would call it him trying to bed you."

            "Get out," I snarled.

            Her face paled, "If I misspoke—"

            "—Get out now." I replied coldly, "I am tired of your loose mouth and I will not stand it. You know nothing of my relation with Aldrich and I will not allow you to cause foolish rumors."

            I didn't care about the sudden tears that fell freely from her face as she rushed out of the room, I was beyond angry and hurt. I had thought Loli to be my friend and yet here she was insulating that Aldrich and I were anything but friends. Such talk was dangerous, to my honor and to my standing as Lady Roisin. I had enough troubles within the court life without Loli adding to it.

            "My lady are you alright?" Ayden asked softly.

            I looked back to her, "Aldrich and I are friends, he's a lovely man but there is nothing between us. I couldn't fathom thinking of him anything but a friend."

            "You owe me no explanation," she replied with a small smile, "But I do understand your fear if such rumors get out. It is not my place but I think your reaction was more than fair."

            I relaxed slightly, "Thank you Ayden. I know Loli is still young, she has much to learn."

            As did I.

            "My Lady as the tournament begins tomorrow, Princess Eliza has sent a bundle of gowns for your use for the week of the tournament as well as hair accessories," Ayden hummed.

            My head tilted and I pointed to the gown on my bed, "I have a gown."

            "Yes, and it is gorgeous however," she replied slowly, "You will need many gowns and many looks for the tournament. Being the sister of the shield, you will be watched by all eyes."

            I froze, this was something that hadn't occurred to me. It was no wonder Fionn wanted to hide me in a marriage, everyone would be watching me because I was the sister of the royal shield. They would want to know if I was Fionn's weakness, or if I was his strength. Either way, it seemed how well I did fighting was only a fraction of what I truly had to do.

            "Where are the gown's now?" I asked slowly, curling my fingers tightly.

            "They are in the Princess' dressing room. She has also accepted your use of the room and I'll be helping you get into your attires every day. However, I'll have to leave your side during the events as I must fulfil my own duties as the fire elemental from the house Balsick. But I'm sure your brother will make sure you aren't alone during the events."

            I nodded gratefully, "That's fine, thank you for all your help."

            Her cheeks heated, "I wish I could do more."

            "You've done more than enough," I replied warmly.

            And she had, she had been such an amazing friend to me, I would be forever grateful. As she continued to brush my hair, my mind continued to wander to Gwynestri's husband. The fae had clearly seen me and had spoken to me, speaking my name and conversing with me. It made me think back to the only other fae I had spoken to within visions. He knew I'd have questions eventually, was this the moment he meant?

            "My Lady?" Ayden asked suddenly, "Are you alright? Would you like me to fetch some tea for you? I hear Princess Eliza has some new teas to be tasted."

            I hummed, "Actually, could you fetch me a cup of mugwort?"

            "Mugwort?" Ayden asked slowly, "I-I don't think that is such a good idea."

            "It's alright," I replied with a small smile, "I won't be as reckless as last time."

            Still with hesitation, she nodded before stepping back and away from my hair. I stood, moving over to the gown that lay on my bed. I pulled it off the bed, the laces that had not been fixed yet falling freely onto the floor. I placed it carefully onto the chair, the silk soft to my touch as I moved it. Once, the gown was moved, I sat on the edge of the bed, my eyes wandering my room carefully. He said when I wished to speak with him, all I had to do was drink the tea.

But how would he know I'd drink the tea?

I sighed softly as Ayden returned with a cup of the tea.

"Are you alright?" she asked softly.

My fingers took the cup carefully, "Yes. That's all for tonight. I'll see you tomorrow morning for when it is time to dress for the welcome event."

"Should I let the princess know you're drinking of the tea?" she asked.

"No," was my firm reply, "No one should know."

"Yes my lady," she said slowly, with hesitation.

"Will you betray my trust?" I asked, clenching the cup harder.

Her eyes widened with surprise, as if the thought hadn't crossed her mind, "Of course not. You are my lady before anyone else is. This will remain between us forever if you wish."

"Thank you Ayden," I said with a smile, "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

She left me alone then, and I drank the hot tea. It burned my throat as I did but I did not hesitate. Once it was done, I placed the cup onto my vanity table and looked over at the lit candle in the room. For a moment, I debated blowing it out. It was a silly thought, but I feared with the flame out my vision would become as dark as the room. However, it quickly left my mind as I blew the candle out and then laid back in my bed, my eyes shut as I awaited the vision.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 512 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
257 13 11
Character Description and Aesthetic Contest prompts: โ€ขFantasy: In a kingdom of elemental magic, you gain the ability to control all four elements...
145 11 16
๐““๐“ฒ๐“ฟ๐“พ๐“ผ ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ถ: ๐““๐“ฒ๐“ฟ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ถ ~~~~~~~ Meet Alaia: A thought to be weak and useless slave to a selfish monster, in a realm where ever...
4.1K 725 71
Tallulah James wants to know where she belongs and what her life's purpose is. The only problem, she doesn't have all the facts. But who is keeping...