A Flower in War

By c_writes_sometimes

Calanthe Lane-Guerrero's life was upended when her father tragically passed away, leaving her alone with her... More

PART I
Chapter One: The Real Story's Just Begun
Chapter Two: As I Lay Dying
Chapter Three: The Doctor's In
Chapter Four: 2.5K
Chapter Five: Vanilla and Pickles
Chapter Six: My Brother, Dear Father
Chapter Seven: Welcome to LaRusso Auto
Chapter Eight: An Array of Colors
Chapter Nine: A Flower By Calanthe
Chapter Ten: Poor Deer
Chapter Eleven: Beach Day
Chapter Twelve: Scars
Chapter Thirteen: Godzilla vs King Kong
Chapter Fourteen: Meet Shannon
Chapter Fifteen: Like a Lost Puppy
Chapter Sixteen: Moon with the Most
Chapter Seventeen: Spooky Scary Skeletons
Chapter Eighteen: Invisibility or Super Strength
Chapter Nineteen: Butter Blows
Chapter Twenty: The News Lies
Chapter Twenty-One: New Hire
Chapter Twenty-Two: Kata
Chapter Twenty-Three: Balance & Patience
Chapter Twenty-Four: Forbidden Love
Chapter Twenty-Five: Karts & Karaoke
Chapter Twenty-Six: Cant or Wont
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Bonsais
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Abuela
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Forest for the Trees
Chapter Thirty: Hit It & Quit It
Chapter Thirty-One: Punches & Parties
Chapter Thirty-Two: 50th Annual All Valley Karate Championship
Part II
Chapter Thirty-Four: Five AM Bakery Runs
Chapter Thirty-Five: Toggle Bolt
Chapter Thirty-Six: Acting Out
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The LaRusso Name
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Love & Fear
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Taos Family
Chapter Forty: Valley Fest Disaster
Chapter Forty-One: Vines at the Beach
Chapter Fourty-Two: Beach Day Blues
Chapter Forty-Three: Mall Brawl
Chapter Forty-Five: Destruction at the Dojo
Chapter Forty-Six: Reconstruction
Chapter Forty-Seven: Geiko
Chapter Forty-Eight: Reinforcements
Chapter Forty-Nine: Roller Rink Derby
Chapter Fifty: Tigers & Chameleons
Chapter Fifty-One: House Party
Chapter Fifty-Two: Sot Sam
Chapter Fifty-Three: He's So Lucky
Chapter Fifty-Four: Cruel, Cruel Summer
Part III
Chapter Fifty-Five: The Same
Chapter Fifty-Six: Medial Sprain
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Finding Robby
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Lord of the Flies
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Community Center
Chapter Sixty: New Normal
Chapter Sixty-One: Laser Tag & Brawl
Chapter Sixty-Two: Beighton
Chapter Sixty-Three: Back to School
Chapter Sixty-Four: Release Date

Chapter Thirty-Three: Guerrero-LaRusso

612 18 0
By c_writes_sometimes

Cal woke to the dulcet tones of "Sea of Love" by Cat Power playing outside her window. She grabs at her phone, holding the bright screen to her sleepy eyes and finding it's midnight exactly. She laughs softly, stepping out of her warm bed and opening the balcony doors. Robby sits on the edge of her balcony with a small speaker in his hand and a wide smile on his face.

"You said it was so unrealistic. I had to prove you wrong." He explains, turning off the speaker.
"Didn't want to play it too loud and wake everyone else up." He explains, jumping off the railing and grabbing hold of her waist.
"Happy birthday flower." Robby smiles, kissing her softly.
"Thank you." Cal smiles, pulling him into her room by his non-hurt arm. Robby chuckles, sitting down on the edge of her bed while she locks the door.

"Want your present now or later?" He questions.
"Depends on if it's family friendly or not." Robby chuckles, shaking his head.
"Can't do a whole lot of not family friendly things with my stupid shoulder. So family friendly for now."
"Then wait until the afternoon so I can open it with everyone else around."
"You got it birthday girl." Robby smiles, holding her hand.

"You should stay with me... sleep over. I'll leave a note on the door so they know you're here. I even got you a little drawer in the closet." Cal smiles, playing with his fingers.
"Yeah? Not worried you'll get in trouble?"
"Not on my birthday I'm not."
"All right, if you're sure." Cal nods excitedly, pulling him into the closet and opening a small drawer.

"I just used the sizes I saw on your clothes at your place. There should be some soft sleep pants and shirts, a couple pairs of jeans, and some t-shirts. I even got you some boxers, just in case."
"You're adorable." Robby chuckles, kissing her nose.
"I'll let you get dressed while I write that note." Cal kisses his cheek, closing the closet door before sitting down at her desk. She grabs a pen and paper, writing a quick note before taping it to her door.

Robby stepped out of the closet, holding his clothes in his hand. The sling still immobilizing his arm.
"Where should I put these?" Cal takes the clothes from him, folding them neatly before placing them on the stool in front of her vanity.
"I'll wrap your shoulder so you don't wear the sling to bed. That's not exactly safe... probably should have said that..." Cal chuckles, helping him out of the sling. She grabs an ace bandage from her bathroom, unrolling it to wrap around his shoulder.

"How bad is it?"
"Not too bad. I've been maxing out on Tylenol pretty much every day though."
"God, I'm sorry Robby... I'm gonna punch the living daylights out of those two! You gonna bail me out of jail?"
"I'd probably be in there with you. Think Mr. LaRusso would bail us out?"
"He may leave us in there for a bit as punishment but maybe he'd bail us out a few days later."
"Maybe you shouldn't punch them then." Robby chuckles.
"Hmmm." Cal hums, tucking the bandage in as she finishes.

"What did you put on the note?" Robby questions.
"Robby is in here with me. We are both clothed. No funny business. Promise."
"Really think they'll be okay with it?"
"I'm 17 now. Besides, they trust me and they trust you. Though I do believe Uncle Danny is gearing up to give us a talk." Cal warns, getting under the covers, motioning for Robby to do the same. Robby slides in beside her, pulling her against his chest by her waist.
"Lucky us." He jests, kissing her ear.
"So lucky."

-

"Did you see the note?" Amanda questioned Daniel softly as they readied Cal's birthday breakfast/lunch.
"I did..."
"Did you check?"
"No. Didn't want to see if it was true or not."
"Oh I checked. They're both clothed, just cuddling." Sam announces, eating a couple of chocolate chips. Her parents sigh happily, a soft chuckle falling from Daniel's lips.

"Thank god for something... Sam... is she..."
"I don't know what you're about to ask but don't. Her sex life or lack thereof is not your business."
"Has she had the talk?"
"Gross dad."
"Samantha..."
"She's had sex ed. Its not like Maria would even care enough to give her one."

"Maybe we should talk to them... both of them... I don't know about Robby's mom but I know Johnny, and his talk was probably not the best."
"Just not on her birthday okay?"
"Yeah, no, of course." Daniel nods.

"There's the birthday girl... and her boy!" Amanda smiles, hugging Cal tightly.
"Happy birthday sweetheart."
"Thanks Aunt Amanda." Cal giggles.
"Happy birthday kiddo." Daniel hugs Cal, kissing the top of her head.
"Thanks Uncle Danny."
"Happy Birthday Cal." Sam laughs, setting another place at the table for Robby.
"Thanks Sammy."

"You two sleep well?"
"Yeah!"
"He woke me up at midnight playing music outside my window. But after that yes." Cal laughs.
"How very 80s of you!" Amanda comments.
"She said it would never happen in real life. I wanted to prove her wrong." Robby explains with a smile.
"That's honestly adorable." Sam sighs dreamily.
"It was." Cal agrees, kissing Robby's cheek. Robby pulls out her chair for her so she can sit down.
"Oh and a gentleman!" Amanda comments excitedly, watching Cal and Robby laugh in agreement.

"Picked a good one Cal... Now, I have banana chocolate chip pancakes all ready. Bacon is almost done, we could do some eggs if you'd like?"
"Pancakes and bacon is perfect, thanks Uncle Danny." Cal assures him, watching him smile.
"Oh! And... dun da da dum... strawberry cheesecake danishes!" Amanda announces cheerily, placing a plate of danishes on the table next to the pancakes.
"Oh this is perfect! Pancakes, bacon, and danishes? My favorites!"

"I remember when you were a kid and you'd dip the bacon in maple syrup." Daniel chuckles.
"Why did you eat such weird combos as a child?" Robby laughs.
"Oh Robby did she tell you about carrots and ketchup?" Sam giggles.
"Flower, come on!"
"Don't knock it till you try it!"

"One time they were out of yogurt so she put fruit in sour cream." Amanda adds.
"Why am I being made fun of on my birthday?" Cal squeaks.
"Oh we're not making fun of you kid! We're sharing great moments of your childhood!"
"Yeah! You only told me about the pickles and chocolate!"
"Oh god that was gross." Sam shakes her head, shuddering.
"Oh, no no no... my birthday means my rules right?"
"Uh oh."
"Uh oh's right. Everyone grab a piece of bacon and some syrup right now."
"Cal..."
"Nope, now."

"I like bacon and syrup! I'm in!" Anthony says excitedly, grabbing his seat and a piece of bacon before pouring syrup onto his plate and dipping it in.
He groans happily, turning to Cal, "I don't know what they're talking about Cal. That's delicious!"
"Thank you Anthony!" Cal looks expectantly around her. Robby shakes his head with a smile before grabbing a piece of bacon and some syrup.
"I better not throw up flower."
"Oh don't be a wuss." Robby chuckles, bringing the salty bacon and syrup mixture to his mouth, taking a hesitant bite. He chuckles, chewing the treat, "Okay, okay, I'll give this one to you. But that chocolate and pickles one I am not trying." Robby laughs.

"Now I feel like I have to try it." Daniel says, grabbing a piece and dipping it in before bringing it to his mouth. The savory sweet mixture dances across his tongue, the perfect mix of salty and sweet.
"Okay Cal, I take it back." Daniel chuckles, finishing the piece of bacon.
"I told you! Don't knock it till you try it!"

-

Cal and Robby went back up to her room to get dressed in their day clothes while the LaRussos set up the presents for Cal to open when she returned.
"Do you think she'll like them?" Sam wonders, putting the gift bags on the table.
"I hope so."
"More importantly... do we think she'll want to?" Sam wrings her hands nervously.
"No matter what happens, she's still family. That won't ever change."

-

Robby smiles at Cal as she braids her hair.
"Maybe you could show me how to do that?"
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. I mean if my hair gets any longer I may need it." Cal laughs, nodding in agreement.
"Well, there's a lot of ways to plait. But the simplest way is just the normal three strand braid... how do you learn?"
"Hmm?" Robby says, not having heard a word she was saying, just continuously watching her hands.
"How do you learn?"
"Uh... I don't really know what that means?"
"Well, do you understand things better when you can see it, hear it, or do it?"
"Uh..."

"You need to go back to school." Cal laughs, finishing up the plait and tying it.
"You may be right. Luckily I have all summer to figure it out."
"You should join me at West Valley, really. I think it'll be good for you. Plus I can tutor you if you'd like? I tutor Sam."
"We'll see flower. For now let's head downstairs so you can open your presents." The two walk down the steps to the kitchen, Robby's gift snug in his pocket.

Cal turns the corner with wide eyes seeing an abundance of tissue paper, boxes, and bows.
"Oh my god. Wow... that's a lot?" Cal laughs nervously.
"We missed a lot of birthdays so we wanted to make up for lost time."
"That's so sweet. You guys didn't have to do this."
"We wanted to, you're family kid." Daniel smiles, bringing her to sit down on the couch, Robby settling in beside her.
"Is there an order?"
"Just the long thin one last." Amanda says, pointing it out to her.

The LaRussos went all out, clothes, shoes, jewelry, books, a new gi, nice & good quality stickers for her laptop case of her favorite characters and sayings, cozy blankets, the presents seemed to never end. Once she got to the long thin envelope, Robby stopped her.

"Hold on, one more." He smiled, pulling out a small box wrapped with a bow from his pocket.
"Robby, I told you not to get me anything."
"You did... but I didn't listen, go on... open it." Cal smiles undoing the bow carefully before opening the small box and moving the tissue paper to find a silver necklace with a pendant that had an etched in orchid with a moon overhead.

"It's the flower you're named after... and the moon for Luna..." Robby explains. Cal can feel herself tearing up at the thoughtful gift, turning to Robby with tears in her eyes.
"Oh god, you hate it. I can return it!" Robby says quickly but Cal just shakes her head, kissing him roughly.
"I love it." She giggles against his lips, making him smile.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, it's beautiful and so thoughtful... I would say help me put it on but I don't think that'd be good for your shoulder."
"Here, you turn to face him and I'll put it on." Sam smiles, taking the box from Cal and gingerly removing the necklace, draping it over neck and clasping it. Cal touches the pendant lightly, feeling the engraved flower and moon.
"Thank you Robby." Cal smiles, kissing his cheek.
"Anything for you flower."

"Is that why he calls you flower?" Anthony questions confusedly.
"Yeah. I'm big into name meanings..."
"So was your dad." Daniel smiled, fondly remembering Jackson going through ancestry books and encyclopedias to figure out what their names meant.
"Yeah." Cal nods happily, before sitting up straight and grabbing her phone, "Oh my god! I almost forgot to show you!" Cal gets to the message opening the video as the LaRussos crowd around her.

"Happy birthday Calanthe!" The hospital staff yells, a chuckle is heard before the camera is grabbed and Dr. Kim comes into view.
"Can't believe you're seventeen now... boy time flies. I hope you're doing okay sweetheart. We all do. We've been non-stop talking about you, coming up with silly stories and hopes for your future. Dr. Chavez thinks you're going to go on to become a famous psychologist... though he's a bit biased. Nurse Nancy thinks you'll be an actress."
"Did you see her in that musical?! Girl sings and acts like a professional!" The group hears off screen, soft chuckles emanating from their lips.
"I think you'll do whatever you want, whatever feels good. Oh!" Dr. Kim runs with the phone a wide smile on her face when she reaches her destination, turning the phone around. A bonsai stands on a pedestal with Cal's father's picture behind it.

"Your dad deserved a place here, and we figured what better place than with his precious bonsai?" Dr. Kim giggles before sighing, "He'd be so proud of you sweetheart. You had the courage to leave, and he always wished he had that same courage to take you away but... he couldn't bring himself to do it... Maria came by the other day... she asked if we knew where you were... don't worry sweet pea, we didn't say a word. She doesn't need to know anything anymore." Dr. Kim sighs before shaking her head and smiling into the camera, "Anyway enough doom and gloom! It's your birthday! I'm so proud of you sweetheart! Keep me posted on how you're doing. We love to hear from you. Always talk about you in the board meetings... probably a bit too much we can get on tangents." Dr. Kim laughs.
"But it's just because we love you. Keep doing what you're doing, and keep fighting for a better future. You deserve it. We love you sweetheart. Happy birthday."

The video ends, Cal placing her head on Robby's uninjured shoulder as it cuts.
"They really love you huh?" Sam smiles.
"Yeah, they're my family. Dr. Kim is the executor of my father's estate. She was like my aunt. She would always teach me different medical terminology while my mom was away on a bender and my dad had to take me to work. I felt bad for taking her time but she always assured me that educating the younger generation was never a waste."
"Wise woman." Daniel comments.
"Yeah, she is."

"Think you have one more present in you?" Sam asks softly.
"I do believe I do." Cal giggles, sitting up and grabbing the thin present. She shakes it, not hearing a sound and shrugs, peeling the wrapping paper off to reveal a Manila envelope.
"How spy of you!" Cal comments, opening the envelope and pulling out the documents inside. She looks at them intently, her eyes flitting over the words at a superhuman speed before she snaps her head up to look at the LaRussos.
"Is this real?" She questions, her voice cracking.
"Not yet. We didn't want to do it without your permission." Amanda explains.
"And we'd need to find your mom before we could even send the paperwork in so she can sign over her rights."

"You really want to adopt me?" Cal cries.
"Only if you want, no pressure. We'll love you either way and you'll always be family Cal, always." Amanda assures her, rubbing her back.
"Sam? Anthony? You're okay with this?"
"Are you kidding? I suggested it!" Sam laughs.
"I'm cool with it. You're pretty awesome so that helps." Anthony shrugs making Cal laugh.
"I... I don't know what to say..."
"You don't have to decide right now. We just wanted to give you the option." Daniel assures her.

"Thank you... thank you all so much... but... you wouldn't be able to adopt me legally."
"I don't understand?"
"I'm an emancipated minor... it's how I left without police coming after me for not showing up to school or work. Once the paperwork came in - I was gone. I was the one paying the bills so I could prove competency and financial ability, plus the abuse... it took a year but I got it." The LaRussos deflate in disappointment, all but Anthony who has his phone out, typing rapidly.
"Wait! We can adopt you! There's um something called adult adoption? And for that we only need your consent!" Anthony states triumphantly.
"You little tech genius!" Daniel yells, smothering Anthony in a tight bear hug.

"So Cal? What do you say? Want to be a Lane-Guerrero-LaRusso?" Sam asks, a hopeful glint in her blue eyes.
"I want to be a Guerrero-LaRusso."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335K 8.9K 21
Maeve Lawrence was a normal girl in Highschool with a little friend group. Until there's a new kid in her apartment area who starts to stand up for h...
830K 24.7K 60
Katherine Flynn has the lifestyle most would envy: huge mansion, six-figure allowance no normal teen would have, imported sports cars, private partie...
121K 1.7K 27
You are a 5 time world karate champion from the valley and you get a injury from your last competition. What happens when you go to spectate the tour...
100K 5.8K 35
-𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐖𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 ᴰᡉᡐᡉᡗʳⁱ 'π“π‘πž 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛π₯𝐞𝐦 𝐰𝐒𝐭𝐑 π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐬 ...