Falling Effect

By holl1e27

The Falling Effect: When you do something that causes something else to happen (i.e. you fall down, you scrap... More

SYNOPSIS AND AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHARACTER AESTHETICS AND PLAYLIST
Prologue
1. Finding Out
2. Telling the Truth
3. To Forgive or Not To Forgive
4. Twins are Genetic!
5. Whining and Dining
6. Hockey Pucks, You're Fucked
7. Twin Sisters and Little Sisters
8. Nightmares and Comfort
9. Drinks and.. Forks?
10. Rough Night?
11. Future Sister-In-Law
13. All Mine
14. Intimate
15. Date Night
16. She Was Never Yours
17. Beach Boys
18. Mama and Mamacita
19. There Will Be No Cocomelon in This House
20. Daddy Issues
21. Lover Boy
22. Forever and Always
23. I Do
24. Love is More Than A Four Letter Word
25. Bonded For Life
26. Get Pucked
27. Gala Preparations
28. Needy
29. Baby Voice Activated
30. Christmas Eve-Eve
31. Baby's First Christmas
32. Sunday Mornings
33. Mother Pucker
34. (Double) Lunch Date
35. Beach Babies
35. Mornin' Lovin'
36. Powdered Sugar
37. Die-Hard Swifties
38. Cup Finals
39. Fantasy Land
40. Yes, Asher Still Loves Taylor Swift
41. Precious Moments Ruined
42. Lost Your Mind
43. Trial and Error
44. Walking and Talking
45. 365 Days
46. Not Just Another Sweet Romance
47. Sick Days
48. Birthday Boy
Epilogue - Forever My Always
BONUS CHAPTER - 1
BONUS CHAPTER - 2
Most Valuable Parent?
Book Poll - Updated!
Spin-Off: In Dirty Harmony - Release Date Announced!
Book 2: Falling Forward
Book 3: Falling Together

12. Kicking and Screaming

37.2K 917 323
By holl1e27

Purple Rain - Prince

4 months later

"I'm so glad the morning sickness is over." Evelyn said, as she walked into the kitchen grabbing orange juice from the fridge. I chuckled, shoving a spoonful cereal in my mouth.

"Are you nervous?" I asked, looking up from my phone to meet her eyes.

"No, I'm excited!" She said as she sat next to me. "Are you?"

"I was a little at first, but now I just want to know." I said grinning, we were hopefully finding out the baby's gender today.

"I've started showing." She said, bouncing her knee.

"Yeah?" I said, meeting her tired eyes.

"Yeah." She said as I placed my hand on her knee and her eyes stared at my hand. I quickly moved it, realizing what I had done.

"I knew my body was gonna change, but now that it's actually happening I'm kinda nervous." She confessed, like she'd been holding that in for a while.

"I think it's okay to be nervous about it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I'm a guy, so what do I know." I say as she giggled.

A sound I'd grown somewhat fond of.

"Hurry up and finish, we have to go."

"Babe, if you wanted me to finish, all you had to do was get on your knees." I say, a smug grin forming on my face.

"Ha, you wish you were getting that luxury." She said as she stood up.

Oh, how I very much did wish. I wished a lot of things, very dirty things.

"Let's go." She said as she snapped her fingers and I set my bowl on the counter. I'll clean it up later.

"Okay, okay I'm coming, chill out mama." I said as her head whipped around, her eyes narrowing, as I threw my hands up in defense.

The drive there was now normal for us. I'd make some sex joke, she'd shut it down, it was a never ending cycle. Why am I even trying anymore? I'll tell you why, sex jokes are just who I am.

"Did you know that our baby is the size of a pomegranate?"

"Really?" I asked, "Crazy what six months can do."

"Only three more to go." She said grinning at her phone.

Once we got there, I parked, she checked in and we waited to be called back there. It was routine at this point.

Evelyn stared at her phone while sitting in the edge of the exam table, her legs hanging off of the edge as she lightly swung them like a little kid. I stared at the stupid diagram again, as I did every time we were in here, physically not being able to wrap my head around it all, even after six months.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my weird uterus daze as Doctor York walked in. "How are we doing today?" She said as Evelyn and I both replied with a simple "good".

"That's good, alright I'm gonna go ahead and get started so you're not in here long. Evelyn go ahead and lay back." She said as Evelyn pulled her shirt up just below her breasts as she usually did. Her breasts that have gotten slightly bigger, might I add.

"Alright you know the drill." Doctor York said as Evelyn closed her eyes waiting for the gel. "Looks like we're starting to show even more Evelyn, that's always exciting." She said as she spread the gel all over her stomach and Evelyn lightly flinched at the coldness.

She moved the transducer around as she paused, "Give me one second." She said as she pulled the transducer off.

"Is something wrong?" Evelyn asked as worried flashed through her eyes.

"I'm not fully sure just yet." Doctor York said as Evelyn's eyes met my own. Tears threatened to rush down her cheeks as I grabbed her hand.

"I'm sure it's okay." I said trying to reassure her, although I don't know who I was trying to convince more, her.. or me?

"Alright, it seems as though your baby is breech. Which is perfectly normal, so no need to worry. We'll just keep a close eye over the baby to make sure the baby turns on its own like most do." She said, placing the transducer back on Evelyn's stomach and turning the screen back towards us.

"What happens if the baby doesn't turn back?" I ask, as Evelyn squeezes my hand.

"We'll first we'll try some exercises and positions that could help turn the baby back to head first, and if those don't work then that's something we'll discuss when and if we get there." She said as I nodded.

Taking the transducer off Evelyn's stomach after another couple of minutes, she wipes off her stomach, "So other than that, baby is perfectly healthy! Now, are we wanting to know the gender?" She asks as Evelyn answers.

"Yes!"

"Okay, we'll I have it right here in this envelope, feel free to open it here or when you leave, either way you are all set to go." Doctor York said as Evelyn stood up and I shook her hand.

"Thank you."

"Anytime, see you in a couple of weeks!"

Evelyn grabbed the envelope before ripping it open, "I can't wait any fucking longer." She said as I chuckled and stood beside her.

Her eyes scanned the paper until they started to fill with tears, "What is it?"

Her watery eyes met mine as she smiled, "We're having a boy." She said as the tears escaped her eyes.

"A- a boy?" I asked, a wave of excitement coming over me.

"Yes!" She said as she hugged me as I lifted her off the ground.

"Holy shit!" I said laughing.

Realizing she was still in my arms I quickly set her down before clearing my throat. "You're getting your protective older brother after all." She said lightly punching my shoulder.

I chuckled at the reference of one the first times we really talked.

I was having a son. Holy shit.

~

I was finishing putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher when Evelyn called my name. "Yeah?"

"Come here, hurry!" She said as I set the plate I was rinsing off in the sink, quickly walking into the living room, where Evelyn was sitting on the couch with her legs crossed, in a criss cross applesauce way like she was five, with her shirt pulled up over her stomach.

"What?" I said as I stood in the doorway.

"Come here." She said as I slowly walked over to her, "Sit."

I sat down, "What's going on?" I asked curiously as she shushed me.

"Give me your hand." My right hand landed into hers as she she set it on her stomach. Just a simple touch of her skin made me jolt.

"What are you doing?" I asked, very confused as to what was currently happening.

"Just shut up and wait." She said as she held her hand on top of mine until I felt her stomach start to move underneath my touch. My face instantly landed to her stomach, they were such small movements you wouldn't know they were happening unless you were touching her stomach, "Is that?-"

"Yeah, he's kicking." She said grinning as I felt my eyes tear up.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

She left her hand on top of mine for a couple of minutes, the kicking stopping and then starting again, I never wanted to move my hand. And Evelyn wasn't kidding, she really is showing. I guess she's been wearing baggier shirts lately so I didn't notice.

I looked up to her face to see her eyes closed. "You're staring." She said, opening one eye.

"I literally just looked at you."

"Pretty sure I've felt your eyes undressing me everyday for six months now." She snapped her eye shut again, a cocky grin forming on her face.

"Says the one who always has a drool spot on her mouth when I enter the room."

"I do not!" She said as she sat up a little bit, her hand leaving mine.

"You definitely drool, I've seen you when your asleep."

"I don't drool!" She says, her jaw practically on the floor.

"Oh yeah, you do babe." I say as she puts and puts her hand back on mine, as her music plays in the background.

"Okay what is this shit?" I ask, taking my hand off of her stomach.

"What shit?"

"Whatever music shit you got playing, at least teach him good songs." I said standing up to grab her phone.

"Like what?" She said giggling.

"I don't know, Johnny Cash or something."

"You like Johnny Cash?" She asks raising a skeptical eyebrow.

"Yeah, my grandpa loved him." I said scratching the side of my neck, "Password please." I said handing her the phone as she unlocks it with FaceID.

"Not just Johnny Cash, any old classic really. . Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Beatles. I could on for days."

"Really?" She said, resting her hands on the top of her stomach.

"Yeah."

"I was always more into 80s music, you know, Journey, Joan Jett and the Black Hearts, Prince, Whitney, Billy Joel.

My head snapped up at that, "I like Billy Joel."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I definitely didn't peg you for a Journey fan though." I say as chuckles.

"Bon Jovi is good too." She says, pushing her hair behind her ear.

I open the search bar on Spotify before adding a couple of songs to the queue.

"This one is a good one." She said as she turned up the volume on the speakers connected to the TV.

Separate Ways by Journey started to play.

"Is this what they used for the Stranger Things season 4 trailer?" I asked, as it sounded familiar.

"Yeah, but it was a bit of a different version." She said as she leaned her head back.

After a couple of songs from different artists Purple Rain by Prince came on. She hummed in appreciation, "You like this one?" I asked chuckling as she nodded her head yes.

"Come on." I said, standing up she she pulled her head up, her eyes now open.

"What?" I reached my hands out, "Just get up." I said as she grabbed my hands and I pulled her up, walking to the middle of the room.

"What are you doing?" She asked as I turned her around so her back hit my bare chest.

"Just relax and close your eyes." I said as my hands came around and rested on her stomach, with her shirt still pulled up over it, she did what I said. I rested my head in the crook of her neck, taking in her vanilla and peach body wash.

We slowly swayed back and forth to the music as she relaxed in my arms and let her head fall back against my chest. Giving me a very tempting amount of access to her neck.

I could've stayed like this forever.

And thank God the song was basically ten minutes long.

But eventually the song had to come to an end, as she turned around to face me. "We don't have to stop... if you don't want to." She said as I argued with myself on it.

"We have to stop, because I don't know how much longer I would be able to control myself." I said as she sucked in a long breath.

"Just one more song?" She asked as I nodded.

With my goddamn luck I Cant Help Falling In Love started playing as she went to turn around and then stopped.

"Face me this time, Greyson." She said but all I could do was nod, I couldn't form any words.

She wrapped her arms around my neck as she rested her head on my chest. My arms were wrapped around her waist, her belly bumping my torso in the process, but I didn't even care.

"But I can't help, falling in love with you."

The song continued as she pulled her head away from my chest. I looked down at her, her green eyes meeting mine. "Greyson." She said as I hummed in response. "I need-"

"What the fuck is going on here?!" A booming voice echoed our way as our heads snapped to the entry way.

"Dad?!" Evelyn asked in shock, her eyes widening. I thought she was going to let go of me, but she didn't.

"So this is why you can't ever answer your god damn phone?! You've been fucking this goddamn playboy again?!" He yelled as I took a step in front of her.

"Don't talk to her like that." I said reaching my arm out behind me as she grabbed onto it.

Soon Chris came running in, "Fuck Ev, I'm sorry, he followed me here." He said with an apologetic look in his eyes.

"You've known about this?!" Her dad asks as Chris's brows furrow.

"Known about what?" Chris asks, looking our way and then back to their dad.

"Don't play dumb with me, I know they're fucking. He's got her wrapped around his dick."

"What?! Dad stop!" Chris said, his hands forming into fists by his side.

"Chris you need to go." Evelyn says.

"What?" Chris says as he walks towards us.

"We don't both need to be here right now, it's only making the situation worse. I can handle him. Go home, I'll call you later." She says as he looks at me and I nod. He reluctantly leaves after another couple of seconds.

"Now you wanna tell me, why you disobeyed me young lady?" Her dad asks, pointing his finger at her.

"Disobeyed you?! I'm 26 for fucks sake, I don't have to listen to you anymore." She said as a look of complete and utter shock covered her face.

"You better watch your tone with me, Evelyn."

"You better watch yours." I say, anger running through my veins.

"Who the fuck asked you?" He said looking at me before back at Evelyn. "Come on honey, pack some things. You won't be staying with this man anymore."

"I'm not packing shit. I told you I don't have to listen to you anymore."

"HEY! GET IN THE FUCKING CAR!" He yelled and something inside of me snapped.

I turned to Evelyn, her teary eyes meeting mine, "I can't control what I do to him." I whisper, as she looks at her dad and then back to me, giving me a nod.

"Stay here." I say, kissing the top of her head.

"I said, quit talking to her like that." I said as I walked towards him, my jaw clenched so hard I'm surprised it's not broken.

"And I told you, to back the fuck o-."

Before he could finish the sentence my fist met his face as he stumbled back, grabbing his cheek. "You don't get to talk to my girl that way." I said before my fist met his face again, and again, and as I was about to punch him again I felt a soft hand on my bicep as a jolt of electricity went through me. "Greyson stop, he's not worth it."

"She's not your girl." He said spitting out blood on my white tile floor. "She's my daughter, you're just a guy who couldn't keep it in his pants and ruined her life." He said as I closed my eyes, jaw clenched, hands balled into fists. I was about to turn around and take for another round when I felt Evelyn's hand on my cheek.

"Don't listen to him, you didn't ruin my life." She said as I opened my eyes to meet hers as tears rolled down her cheeks.

I grabbed her hand that was on my cheek, as I kissed her palm before removing it and turning around to face her dad. "I suggest you get the fuck out before I call the cops for trespassing."

I said as he chuckled before slowly getting up, "Don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart." He said before he walked outside, getting in his Cadillac and I slammed the door.

I walked back into the living room, walking up too Evelyn, "Your girl?" She asked as I lightly chuckled. "Come here." I said as I wrapped my arms around her and she cried into my chest.

After a couple minutes she pulled away, wiping her tears, "Thanks, you didn't have to do that."

"Anytime, babe." I said as I winked and she lightly chuckled.

I sighed before pulling away, "I need a drink... or ten."

"Knock yourself out."

~

"Greyson, how much have you had to drink?" Evelyn's voice echoed towards me as she came down the stairs, her wet hair draped over her shoulders after just getting out of the shower.

"Umm. I don't know." I shrugged my shoulders as my head felt a bit loopy, and an ice pack rested on my right hand.

"Maybe you should stop, you have off-ice training tomorrow." She said as she stood by the edge of the island.

Although the hockey season had ended, our off-season was the time we needed to practice the most. We got 2-4 weeks off from June - August, if we chose to do so. You got to pick what weeks you take off.

"That sounds smart." I slightly slurred.

"Come on, let's get you upstairs." She said as I slowly nodded.

Walking up the stairs with Evelyn's hand around my waist was distracting enough as it is, and then you throw in the straight whiskey I've been drinking. I thought I was going to pass out honestly.

She led me to my room and set me down on my bed, "Hold on." I stood up, as I swayed a little, before grabbing the waistband of my sweatpants and pulling them down. Evelyn's cheeks got bright red as I stood there in just my boxer briefs, but I didn't care.

"Lay down Grey." She said as I realized she started calling me Grey earlier. She's only ever called me Greyson.

"You started calling me 'Grey'. Don't stop" I said, pulling the covers to my waist as I leaned against the headboard.

"Sounds good." She said giving me a small smile.

"You know, I wasn't lying, when I told Ellie I don't fall in love." I said as a look of hurt flashed through her eyes, before she quickly covered it up.

"Yet somehow, I can't stop myself from falling for you."

AHHHH!

HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIT.

I have been waiting to post this chapter since I wrote it. AHHHHH!

Also: 3,011 words, OMG

I don't know if I've said this but this book will have some time jumps (like the one in this chapter) because I want you guys to see them raising their little baby, not just the pregnancy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74K 1.2K 19
#2 in the carolina colts series dimitri & nadia's story ~ his eyes focus on my lips briefly as he whispers "why do we always end our time together li...
109K 3.2K 35
A single mom with a past, and a tattooed bad boy who needs to change his future. Macy Roberston knows better than to get too close to the bad boy hoc...
41.5K 733 29
[18+] Dallas Tucker was a force to be reckoned with on the ice, he was the best of the best. Every coach wanted him on their team, every guy wanted t...
943K 27.1K 66
COMPLETED - It's puck at first sight for Jules Martin, when his gaze falls on Luna Larsson at his first College ice hockey game with a new team. The...