Meet Me in the Coffee Shop

By pork_katsudon

WARNING: CRINGE-WORTHY MATERIAL Layla Lewis is a normal girl with a perfect life. She has a great job and a b... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 11

40 6 4
By pork_katsudon

Fire. All around me, there is fire. My chest is moving up and down but I can't feel myself breathing. I only see a cloud of smoke making its way into my lungs. Then, I feel a pair of arms lifting me and the arms are in a protective position. A bright light shines in my face and I realize it's the sun. I've been saved.

I look at the person carrying me and see that it's Maxwell. I smile the faintest smile. He set me down on my feet and at first, I stumble around, trying to keep my balance. Max catches me before I hit the ground and I smile big this time. I look around and see Rupert puking and the empty desert. No Adeline.

"Where's Adeline?!" I ask, frightened.
"Layla, please stay calm," Max says. "I only had time to save you and Rupert. I'm so sorry."
"Why don't you go get her while the building is still standing?!" I shout. "You know what, I'll do it myself."

I find myself running towards the shop. Before I can take another step, the entire building is blown into bits. I'm thrown back by the explosion and I hit the ground hard.

"NOOO!" I shriek. "ADELINE! Oh, my gosh! Adeline!" I keep screaming until my throat hurts. I begin to sob and I cannot stop. Why? Why did it have to be her and not me? Maxwell puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Layla, I need you to listen because I don't have that much time," Max explains. "I'm part of a secret society and I was meticulously studying this place. The bombs are a sign that they are going to take me back and study my results. I've had the time of my life here with you and I will never forget it."
"You're leaving? You're leaving me here?" I ask, breathless.
"I will come back here. I promise."

The moment he says this, we hear a gunshot and see Rupert fall to the floor. From a helicopter above, a ladder falls from the sky. Hesitantly, Max climbs the ladder and leaves me alone in the dark.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 12.2K 43
The feeling of being abandoned by one's own family was not unknown to Aadhira. She hates her family for abandoning her when she was only a newborn, l...
Alina By ihidethisapp

General Fiction

1.5M 37.5K 75
The Lombardi family is the most notorious group in the crime world. They rule both the American and Italian mafias and have many others bowing at the...
11.5M 297K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...