The Viscount and The Traveler...

By PrincessChyna1

Addison Hannah is a girl new to London, but not just London... the 18th century. 1814 to be exact. The strang... More

Prologue
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36

2

2.3K 64 2
By PrincessChyna1

Addison

Dear Diary,

I had come to realize this is not a dream, although every night I prayed that it was. My English accent has gotten much better, and I found out that I am in the year 1814 and I must say, History classes paid off to an extent. It was approximately one month ago that I arrived here from the year 22. Although the only people I have spent most of my time around are my teachers and Lady Danbury, I found my time here to be exciting. Today is the day I get to meet Queen Charlotte. I read about her in class and I must say it would indeed be an honor to meet her. But for the other part, which is me attending a Debutants ball, I don't think I would really enjoy it much. I got this white and silver gown made, along with a crown that has long white feathers that almost touch the ceilings. I must now go get dressed, hopefully nobody really sees me in this ridiculous dress. 

I wrote my daily log in my journal and quickly hid it in the ceiling in my closet. I then returned to putting on my clothes.

"Lady Danbury," I said the way my instructor taught me 

"Lady Riverdale" She smiled using the name we both thought was best I keep

"I do believe this is not for me" I giggled  

"Well dearest, if you shall believe it, so shall it be. I would advise you to believe it is for you and when you do, so shall I" She said giving me her infamous smirk of approval.

"I have never been so afraid of something as such in my entire life" I admitted to her

"There comes a time in a young lady's life that she feels most beautiful and this social season is your turn. And once you're married, you will learn to embrace being the beautiful gem that you are. Some marry for love, some marry for wealth, and some marry for a proper life for themselves and their future children. The choice is yours. But just know I will be guiding you every step of the way" she said to me "So young lady, remember chin up, and smile that beautiful smile" she said lifting my chin and ushering me out of my bedroom.

******
At the Queen's Residence

"I am just one in the lot... Perhaps I shall wait for next season" I said standing in the crowded hall of debutantes such as myself

"Perhaps you should not. And if you're lucky enough, you just might end up with this season's eligible bachelor." I heard somebody say making me look away from Lady D

"Miss Eloise Bridgerton," Lady Danbury said to the young lady who stood before us

"Lady Danbury" she mumbled greeting the older lady and turning towards me "Who might you be," she said extending her hand towards me

"I am Addison, Addison Riverdale" I smiled politely at her as she shook my hand.

Just then an older Lady who appears to be her mother came along with a frantic look on her face. "Eloise, please stop running off. You've nearly given me a heart attack." She said sighing in relief. "Lady Danbury" She smiled as if they were good friends.

"Lady Bridgerton" Lady D greeted back and they both shared a look and I knew right then that the two are good friends.

"How is it that you can breathe in all of these corsets?" Eloise asked now breathing in and out

"Well, my mama taught me how to wear them and what to expect from wearing them all day" I chuckled as she glanced at me in pity

"Did your mama do it as a punishment to you Miss Riverdale?" Eloise asked seriously making me chuckle a bit

"It didn't feel as if I was being punished because I was able to take it off if I wanted. But I would rather wear tight corsets for the rest of my life if it would bring my mama back" I said in honesty making Lady D look back at me. Hopefully, I didn't say anything wrong.

"I do apologize Miss Riverdale, I had no intention of saying something that would hurt you. I am dearly sorry" Eloise began rambling which made me chuckle

"It's okay Miss Bridgerton, my mama passed away a few years ago and so did my father. You see it was my Grandparents who helped me get here. And please do call me Addison" I said now getting the attention of the two elder ladies standing before us

"Addison" Eloise said with a graceful smile. As a gentleman said "Attention all debutantes, please form a line in the numbers which you are given. They began to hand out numbers on a sheet to the mothers of the debutantes. Lady Danbury got my number and apparently mine was 12. 

"11 mama? Are you telling me I would have to walk down that treacherous isle sooner rather than later" Eloise said 

"Eloise! Mind your manners young lady" Lady Bridgerton exclaimed pulling her in line 

"Are you alright, child?" Lady Danbury asked in a concerning tone

"I am okay" I said honestly 

"You haven't told me that your parents had both passed away." She said 

"I haven't really talked about it much, my sisters are both married and so is my brother. I decided to take a trip to the Americas doing some research. Then I reached out to my grandfather for something, and somehow I ended up here" I told her, leaving out as much details as possible. 

"Your siblings? I was under the impression that you were the only child" She said as the gentleman in the tailored white suite began calling off names 

"I was not expecting to be here as long as I stayed Lady Danbury, I truly thought I would have awaken from this reality by now" I said only so she could hear 

"You know, sooner or later you would have to tell me the truth. You sometimes speak as if you are from a different era." She chuckled making me do so as well 

"I think I forgot how to walk" I said frantically looking up at Lady D

"Remember Miss Riverdale... breathe in, breathe out, stand tall, and as you like to say 'STRUT YOUR STUFF!" She said lightening the mood 

"Miss Eloise Bridgerton" I heard now forgetting my own fears and looking up at my new friend who looked at if she would pass out at any given moment. 

"I hope Eloise is alright out there" I said just as I heard whispers and gasps among the quietness. 

A few moments later I heard "That's it, I've seen enough" I heard a voice speak in authority who I assume belongs to the Queen herself, and seconds later I seen Eloise appear back through the doors and dashed in the washroom. Lady D strolled over to Lady B as did I. 

"I'll go check on Eloise" I said looking through the door to see the ton of people and the Queen neck deep in some news articles. 

"I would really appreciate that, my darling" Lady Bridgerton said looking down at me. 

I quickly dashed to the ladies room and I entered and locked the door behind me. "Eloise?" I said looking at her bend over the hand basin. She quickly looked up and hugged me dearly. 

"Ugh Addison, I thank you for being here. She saved the day" Eloise grinned eagerly

"Who did?" I asked 

"Lady Whistledown... The fundamental source of all rumors is Lady Whistledown, her opinions have the power to shape people's perceptions of current social events. Today, she surely came through when I needed her most" Eloise clapped excitedly. 

"Sounds like the person I would like to meet, all the while staring clear of her" I chuckled 

"Well, you are sounding too much like Penelope. Although she is my favorite friend, she doesn't think of unmasking Lady Whistledown, well at least not the way I want to" She sighed and I can tell she's a bit disappointed. 

"Miss Eloise, come on... besides I said I would want to steer clear of her. Now helping you unmask her. I'm all up for it" I smiled pulling her out of the washroom. 

When we got back to the elder ladies, I saw a few more people gather around them. This was my turn to grow nervous, I haven't been around people except the ones around my new/ temporary home.

"They are my siblings, with the exception of my elder brothers." Eloise nudged me 

"Eloise-" One of her sisters started as she cut her off 

"No, Daphne please don't start with the comments." Eloise said as her sister furrowed her eyebrows and sighed in defeat. 

"I was only going to say that you're still a diamond" Daphne said looking at her sister with sincerity "You must be Addison, it's sad that I didn't get to see you walk down the aisle as well. And you look as beautiful as ever. My name is Daphne Basset." She said extending her hand towards me 

"Addison... Addison Riverdale" I smiled

We all stood talking for a little longer before we all decided to part ways.

*****

 Lady Danbury was telling me that she had spoken to the Queen and I would make my next debut at the Queens ball. She truly has my best interest at heart and I love how I get to have a huge decision in everything and her reasoning is, "This is your time and I want your experience to be one you'll never forget. After all I wouldn't mind attending a wedding again this season" 

I don't know if I want to get married, not because of my age but the fact that I know I'm not from here. Not this time period at least. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 90 18
In 1815, Lilith Radcliff has always had the perfect life in Germany as the daughter of an Earl. But when a threat is made against her family she is n...
167K 3.9K 36
Lady Carina Eliza Grey. The only daughter of the Earl, Charles Grey and the deceased Countess, Elizabeth Grey. Viscount Anthony Bridgerton. The elde...
221K 5.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
9.3K 139 12
𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐? 𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒉, 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 �...