365 Days

By saladasandvegemite

"I am going to die." Yes, you heard right. Dakota Everett is going to die. She is given a year and wants to d... More

362
362
359
359 // 358
358
358
357
354
351
350
250
248
246
245
245
244
240
238
225
224
223
223
223
222
199
183
183
182
172
159
154
153
141
140
134
133
133
121
110
105
99
97
84
84 // Alex's POV
73
72
56
40
32//31
- 1065
Author's Note // Editing In Progress

224

14.4K 596 108
By saladasandvegemite

224

The wedding was beautiful. It was on the cliff overlooking the ocean with fairy lights hanging to create a romantic mood. It was only family and close friends which made the ceremony intimate, and now we're at the reception dinner with a lot of people more than just family.

It's at the same place as the ceremony but somewhere else on the large land. We are in a very large, very green garden, decorated with flowers of every colour in all places. Fairy lights hang from light pole to light pole as people mingle around the tables and dance on the dance floor.

I've never seen Georgia as happy as she is now, dancing away with Kellan to an old classic song. They're so filled with love that it makes my heart swell. I'm so happy for Georgia.

Alex and I are alone at our table, joking about inconsequential things until Levi turns up, his hand guiding a girl towards our table. She looks a couple of years younger than us and is much shorter than Levi (even with heels). She has dead straight, black hair that make her green eyes shine, and is wearing a gorgeous blue dress that clings to her tiny frame without revealing anything. It has a high neck and goes to mid-thigh, and I like how she rocks the look with heeled boots.

"Dakota," Levi interrupts, his hand on the girl's back. "This is Temma. Temma, this is my cousin Dakota and her, friend, Alex who I need to pinch for a minute."

"Sure thing," I say, leaving Alex go.

"Hi, nice to meet you," she greets me, sitting down on one of the white chairs. Her subtle confidence is a change and I can't help but smile.

"You too," I tell her, waiting for the boys to leave. The band starts playing a new song and I now really grin at Temma. "I was waiting until the boys left so now we can really talk! Levi has told me about you so it's nice to put a face to the name."

Her cheeks flush slightly pink as she bites her lip, trying to keep from smiling it looks like.

"If it helps, I know what's going on between you two. You don't have to pretend you're just friends like he told everyone else."

She breathes a sigh of relief and smiles for real. "Oh thank God. I mean, I know this looks a bit weird with the age difference and because of it we haven't really done anything. Maybe you could help me? Give me some advice?" She asks, taking a sip of her water, it looks like, that she's drinking from a champagne glass. I'm doing the same thing.

"Sure thing," I nod, finishing off my water with a gulp.

"Do you think there's a point in trying to get somewhere with Levi? I mean, I like him and all but the age difference is, well, it's 2 years." The poor girl looks so confused that I want to smack Levi over the head. He has confused her and made her think things that aren't true. Stupid boy.

"Don't worry," I reassure her, putting my hand on her arm. "I think he likes that you're younger, so I definitely think there is a point. Remember, boys are stupid. You have to tell them what you're thinking because they won't think to guess."

Temma laughs, her slick black hair shimmering under the fairy lights. "You just called your own cousin stupid?"

"Yeah. And technically my father, brother, best friends and-"

"Boyfriend?" Temma cuts me off, her eyes glinting with what seems like mischief.

"Did Levi ask you to say that?" Then again, what does he know? He hasn't said anything to me about Alex, not really. Has Alex said something?

"Maybe," she laughs, taking a sip of her water.

"Well then you know the truth."

"Yes," she admits. "But I can also see what he's talking about. Your relationship is so natural, like you've always been together. If Levi hadn't told me I would've thought you'd been dating for years."

I don't want to think about Alex, or anything to do with him and me and us. Considering I'm meant to be making him not like me, I can't afford to think of what it would be like if not only I liked him, but if we were to date. I wince, because I can picture it all too well.

So I stand up and drag Temma to the dance floor, where we dance to Shout. The family comes and goes, joining us in bopping along to the upbeat music. Eventually Levi joins us but Alex lurks to the side of the dance floor. I semi-strut over to him, holding my hand out for him to take. "Come on. Dance with me."

He bites his lip and puts his hands in the pockets of his slacks. "No, I'm alright."

I put my hand on my hip and raise my eyebrows, raising my voice over the music which just got louder. "Why not? Scared?"

"I'm not scared. I'd love to but..." He trails off, looking down.

"But what?" I ask, taking a step towards him and almost falling over. Damn heels.

"Uh," he mumbles, kicking the ground with his shoe. "I, um. I can't, uh, really dance."

What?

He can't dance?

Oh my God.

Don't laugh, Dakota. Don't laugh. Keep it in. Breathe in, breathe out.

"Huh," is all I manage, biting my lip to suppress any emotion.

Alex Stanton can't dance.

Breathe.

"I know. It's stupid. I'm eighteen, I should know how to dance." The music slows right down and I smile, tugging at his hand. "Come on, I'll teach you."

He takes his hand out of my grasp, the heat disappearing from my hand. "No. Not in front of people."

"Okay," I tell him. I lead him out from under the large marquees and along a cute little stone path. The pebbles are black beneath our feet and there are hedges running away from the path. It is starting to mist with rain and the air mixes with the rich, earth smell that accompanies it.

There is this tree behind the hedge where the music is still audible, but only just. I take his hand and lift his chin so that he's looking at me. I put one hand on his shoulder and take his hand with my other. He hesitates, tugging at his lip before putting his hand just above my hip.

"A bit further up," I instruct, sliding it up with my own hand so that it is in the correct position. I can feel the warmth of his fingers melting through the material of the dress and I take a breath, trying not to react.

Stay calm, is my constant reminder as I instruct Alex how to dance. Remember, he has to not like you. It won't be fair on him to get any deeper into this than he already is.

"What are you thinking?" He asks, his voice concentrating. He's getting the hang of it now, but still has to work hard not to step on my feet. I find it cute that Alex can't dance, considering he is brilliant at pretty much everything.

I wasn't going to tell the truth but I figure, why not? This may even give me ideas. "About how to get you to stop liking me."

He doesn't stop dancing but his face screws up. The music changes to what I believe is the last song, much more upbeat. We keep slow dancing. "Why would you want to do that?"

"Because I don't want to hurt you." More honesty. I look down at his shoes, moving from side to side on the pebbles.

"Hurt is inevitable." He lowers his voice, as the rain grows heavier. The branches of the tree are covering us. "Pain is inevitable, especially in relationships. If the guy likes the girl but she doesn't like him back, there is pain. If they both like each other but can't be together, there is pain. And if they get together, therein lies more pain. With every fight, every threat of a break in the relationship, there is hurt. It's inevitable, Dakota, it can't be helped. Just like my affection for you. Nothing is going to stop it. Nothing can."

We kept dancing until the music stopped, and even until after that. I couldn't stop thinking about what he said, that pain is inevitable. Maybe he is right, but I hope he isn't.

We're only stopped when Levi and Temma come find us, linked by the hand. They look so comfortable together without being overly affectionate and gooey, which makes me smile. I can see them lasting for a long time, if there is something to last yet. I'll have to ask Levi.

We head home and because it's late, everyone heads to bed. Georgia will be off on her honeymoon now, so Levi and Temma take her room. I unwillingly slide out of my dress and put pajamas on, packing my suitcase. Alex and I are flying back in the morning so that he can make his football game in the afternoon, so we have to be packed and ready to go by 9am. I set out a change of clothes on top of my zipped up suitcase and crawl into bed, not waiting for Alex to return from his shower to go to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253K 9.4K 25
Riley Brown. The name sends chills down the spines of her classmates. But that doesn't mean she's evil, in fact, she's very fun and brave behind that...
2.9K 138 29
Have you been so beaten down that suicide is the only way you feel that it will all end? I guess your not the only one out there who feels the same...
446K 5.5K 14
He's the player of the school , he's known for hitting and quitting , every girl wants him and doesn't care if he uses her then breaks her heart as l...
810 57 16
Alice and Derek are bestfriends. Alice is a 17 year old who loves to have fun but is insecure about herself. Derek is a jock.He is known to play with...