Tidal Wave

By zarynmaples

Riley Matthew has it all... Or so it seems... but not everything is what it seems. Riley has liked the same... More

Dedication
Playlist
01
02
03
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13

04

153 17 52
By zarynmaples

DYLAN

I walk out of the dressing room to show Jessica one of the outfits I picked out.

"Oh! That looks super cute! Do you like it?"

I nod. I'm not that picky so it doesn't matter.

"Yeah. I like it."

I go back into the dressing room and try other outfits on. Putting the stuff that I like on one side of the dressing room so we can buy it. I put my original clothes back on and go look around some more with Jessica.

"Ooo! Look at this Dylan!"

Jessica picks up a pink casual dress with flowers on it. I'm not a big fan of most dresses but I like this one for some reason.

"I like it!"

Jessica smiles and hands me the dress.

I walk back to the dressing room and try on the dress. When I put it on and look in the mirror... it's perfect. It's not super dressy. It's just a casual dress but it makes me feel... confident.

I smile as I put the dress with the rest of the clothes I picked out. I grab all of those clothes and walk out of the dressing room.

I sit and wait for Jessica on the big sofa that's outside the changing rooms. Hopefully, soon we can pay and go home. I think I've definitely had enough fun for one day.

"Alright, you satisfied with what you've picked?"

I give Jessica an enthusiastic nod.

"Yep!"

She starts walking towards the checkout and I follow her. Jessica pays and we go to the car with my new clothes. We put the clothes in the back. Jessica gets in the driver's seat and starts the car. I get in the passengers seat and buckle my seat belt. Jessica drives us home. I fall asleep during the short ten minutes of riding in the car.

Finally. I'm home.

I get out of the car with some of my stuff, including my backpack. Jessica helps me by carrying some of the clothes.

I walk to my room once I enter the house and put my backpack by my closet. And also the bags with my new clothes.

I'll put them up tomorrow or something. I'm too exhausted right now to even think about doing it tonight.

I curl up on my bed in a ball. Under the covers of course. I quickly fall asleep.

My eyes shoot open. It's morning already...Ughh! I look at the time on my pink princess clock as usual...

It's seven-thirty!

I'm going to be late for school if I don't hurry! Jessica usually makes sure I'm up in time. I wonder what happened...

Maybe she got caught up in something?

I run to the bathroom to quickly brush my hair and brush my teeth. I frantically put my butterfly clips back in after taking them out to brush my hair.

I decide to put on the new dress I got and my Converses. I think it looks kind of... cute.

I never thought I'd say that about an outfit I'm wearing. It feels great! I hope it won't draw too much attention to me. But maybe it would be nice to have some compliments for a change.

I look for Jessica but I don't see her. All I see is a note left on the kitchen island. I pick it up and read it carefully.

"Hey! Sorry, I'm not here. I got a job offer. I'll be home tonight though. Have a good day at school! — Jessica"

I leave the note where I found it and walk out the door with my backpack over my shoulder. I walk at a fast pace to make it to school before the bell rings. I will be so embarrassed if I'm late!

Universe... please don't let me be late!

Luckily I am not late. I arrive about ten minutes before the bell. Phew!

I look for Jamie and the rest of my friends. I find Jamie talking to Riley and Kirrie.

Oh, dear. Riley is with them. Come on... I can do this. Just breathe. I close my eyes for a moment and take a deep breath.

I walk over to them slowly. I hope Riley doesn't notice me but it may be inevitable since we are all standing together now.

"Nice outfit!" Riley comments.

I don't say anything. My brain won't let me say anything. I'm too in shock. My cheeks are definitely super red right now too.

"Thanks," I say quickly.

I look down at my Converses to avoid looking at him directly. I have no idea why but when I finally look up... I see Heather walking over.

"Riley! What are you doing over here?"

She pauses.

"Why don't you come over here with me? You know, your girlfriend?"

She specifically draws out the word girlfriend.

Wait... girlfriend!?

Before I can even think more, Heather and Riley are already gone.

I mentally sigh out of hopelessness. My enemy and my crush. dating. Wow. This is just great.

I mean I knew I probably didn't have a chance. But now I definitely don't have a chance. Ever.

The bell rings and everyone goes to class. I wait until it's almost all cleared out to go to class. Which works out for me because I don't get trampled and I get to avoid Riley and Heather.

At least until I am in the classroom. Then I still won't have to worry about it because I can just focus on my assignment. Which is exactly what I do as soon as I get to my desk and the teacher gives us our assignments.

I concentrate on the assignment and try to forget about what happened in the commons area this morning.

I finish my assignment and turn it in. I then put my head on my desk for the rest of class.

Of course, then it's computer lab afterward. Which I just write in my journal about how I'm super upset because my crush is now in a relationship with the very girl who tries to ruin my life every day.

Great stuff.

And now dreaded gym class.

I almost throw up while running our laps so that's another amazing thing to add to the list.

Dodgeball is even worse. I immediately get hit and have to sit on the sidelines.

Everyone laughs.

I try to hide the fact that it's upsetting me. It's so hard not to just break down and cry right there. Especially with how the school day started.

Once gym class is over everyone heads to lunch. I walk with Jamie and our other two friends. Riley is... walking with Heather.

Jamie and I get our food and start walking to go to our table. But before I can sit down...

"Ha! Looks like the loser got herself a new wardrobe!"

Heather pauses to giggle.

"A wardrobe of spaghetti and meatballs!"

She dumps her whole tray on me. I'm covered in spaghetti and meatballs as well as chocolate milk. Everyone is laughing. I feel so humiliated. I can't hold it in any longer. I start crying.

"Awe look! The loser is crying! Boo hoo!"

The laughter increases. I run out of the cafeteria so fast. I try to find somewhere to just hide. The tears continue to roll down my cheeks. I honestly don't even care that I'm covered in food and drink right now.

I just want... my parents. My mom. My dad.

I continue to let the tears roll down my cheeks. Today has been really bad and It's only halfway over. I wipe the tears away as I finally stop crying.

Jamie comes over to me. She looks concerned.

"Hey... I'm so sorry about what Heather did in there. I'm here for you, okay?"

She sits down by me and hugs me which causes me to start crying again. I curl up into the hug. It feels so nice. I wish that having a friend like Jamie was enough to make everything okay. She's amazing. I just have so much stuff happening to me that it's... too much.

I'm pretty sure I'm soaking her shirt with my tears. I feel really bad about it and I pull away.

"I'm sorry. I'm soaking your shirt."

I wipe the tears from my eyes once more. Jamie shakes her head.

"It's okay. Really."

I take a shaky breath.

"Come on, I have some clean clothes you can wear in my bag."

Jamie pulls me up by the arm and leads me to the girls bathrooms. She pulls out of her bag, a yellow t-shirt and some jean shorts. She hands them to me.

"Here you go."

I take them and step into the stall to change. I put my now very ruined dress in the trashcan.

"Thank you, Jamie."

She gives me a smile.

"It's what friends are for."

The bell rings.

It's time for class again. Jamie helps me up and I walk with her to our next class. It's not that interesting. I just do another assignment and turn it in.

After that, I lay my head on my desk as I did earlier. For some reason, the cold, hard desk feels really good against my cheek.

The bell rings and everyone crowds out the doors for recess.

Jamie and I wait for it to clear up and then we go under the trees which are far out to the end of the playground. I sit against one of the trees and Jamie sits beside me.

"I really wanted to sock her in the face for you. I really did."

I look at Jamie, curious.

"What she did was really messed up Dylan. And she has always treated you like that. I hate just watching it happen. I won't anymore."

I look away and nod. I stare blankly across the playground to the school. I don't say anything.

She continues talking to me but I can't really concentrate on what she's saying. I space out.

I wonder how different my life would be if I were pretty. If I was like Heather. Everyone would treat me so much differently.

I almost don't even hear the bell I'm so lost in thought. Luckily, Jamie pulls me up.

"Hey, come on. We gotta go to class."

I'm just ready to go home.

We walk to our last class. Unfortunately, I have an advanced learning class and Jamie has art. Which means we won't be together.

I walk to my advanced learning class. It's only me and four others. I'm glad at least, there is no Heather or Riley in here.

We work on more advanced stuff. I worked my way into this class. You have to make masters on your end-of-year tests and have really good grades. I just like to learn and read things so it came naturally to me.

The teacher goes over a couple of things and then we are able to do what we want. With exceptions of course. I decide to doodle in my journal and get some emotions out.

I really like Riley. I knew he probably would never like me back. But I had this naive hope that maybe... it could be possible for someone like him to like... someone like me. A loser. A nobody. An ugly duckling.

It really doesn't matter though. It's just a dumb crush anyway. I need to forget about it.

But I can't...

The bell rings and it's time to go home. Well, there's a good thing. I grab my things and rush out of the school like everyone else.

I walk home, trying to clear my mind. I stare at the sky. It's something I always thought was amazing. So simple yet so beautiful.

My mom always told me that the most beautiful things aren't beautiful to everyone. They take it for granted. I never understood what that meant. I still don't.

I open the front door and walk straight to my room. I curl up in my bed and get underneath the covers. I lay there, thinking. Feeling like I need to cry but I can't. I can't do anything.

I end up staring at the ceiling for a while, lost in my thoughts. I have nothing better to do.

"Dylan! Dylan!"

I look over at the doorway to my bedroom. I see my sister, Syrah. She's nine.

"Hmm? What?"

She walks in.

"Where is Jessica?"

I think for a moment and then I remember.

"She got a job offer. She left a note on the table for us."

Syrah leaves my room and I continue to stare at the ceiling.

It starts to get kind of late. I hear the front door open.

I get up to see who it is.

It's Jessica!

"Hey, you! How are you? Did you have a good day?"

I nod, not saying a word.

"Well, I have some exciting news. I got the job!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 99 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
4.9K 393 30
COMPLETED Laura Anderson doesn't like breaking rules, she tries to be as far away as she can from danger. She's about to start Junior Year, the appea...
1.2K 36 22
"Dear Crush, I exist... and trust me or not, but no one else in this whole world can love you the way I do..." He fell in love for the first time in...
801 67 21
Riley is going to turn seventeen and was excided to plan everything. Everything was going his way, but not everything always has a happy.ending, thin...