Lambency (Ingo x Reader)

By AonabiChan

Ingo x Reader (Warning: this story contains spoilers from "Pokemon Legends: Arceus") Following Ingo's disappe... More

1. The Shooting Star
2. The End of a Dream
3. A New Beginning
4. The Galactic Railroad
5. The Road to Recovery
6. Kindling of the Heart
7. Meeting at Jubilife Village
8. A White Lie
9. The White Desert
10. The Frozen World
11. The Beginning of a Dream
12. The Lost Future
13. Locked Doors
14. New Connections
15. Knowledge of the World
16. Kindred Spirits
17. The Normal Days
18. Rains in the Tundra
19. Laughing Eyes
21. An Awkward Moment
22. Fond Memories
23. A Night on the Battle Subway
24. Fires at Night (I)
25. Fires at Night (II)
26. Fires at Night (III)
27. Ghosts of the Past
28. Victory in the Heart
29. Hands Remember
30. Blueberry Academy
31. New Friends
32. A Heartfelt Conversation
33. The Railway of No Return
34. A Game

20. A Day of Rest

196 9 8
By AonabiChan

Walking along the cliff nearest the south-flowing river, you and Ingo let out a sigh of relief as soon as you catch sight of Brava Arena.

Passing the Diamond Heath, you and Sneasel break into a run under the curious gaze of the nearby wild Pokémon.

The singing brooks and the humming springs

The sloppy swamps and proudly erected tree ferns

The familiar scent of aromatic plants and damp soil.

And when you recognise, at last, the silver smoke coming out from the chimney of the dwellings, you turn around and wave at Ingo, encouraging him to speed up:

"Ingo! We made it!"

His tired expression softens when he sees you radiating with elation.

"That's fantastic, (Name)! I can't wait to have a day of rest, and a change of clothes."

"Likewise! I'm dying for a bath too..."

Sneasel points at his belly.

"Still hungry? You're worse than a Munchlax!", you mock.

You approach the guardsmen, who immediately identify you.

"Welcome back, (Name)! Tulsi's been looking for you those past days! We told her where you were, but she wouldn't hear any of it!"

"You should go and talk to her, she'll feel much better now that you're home!"

You beam.

"Thanks for the heads-up, Fenn and Mint! Warden Ingo here is accompanying me!"

"No problem, Adaman ordered we let him in as well."

"Ingo, I'll introduce you to Tulsi!"

"Gladly."

The children are thrilled to see two new travellers entering the village.

Some of them even try touching Sneasel, who nimbly twists his body to avoid being petted, before finally climbing on top of your bag with a growl.

"Hey, (Name)!", calls out Ore, one of Tulsi's grandchildren. "Grandma was wondering if you'd ever return! She missed you!"

"Hi, Ore! I missed her too! Where is she?"

"Come with me!"

He and his brother Gano take your hand to lead you to the old woman, who opens her eyes wide when she sees you.

"Grandma! Look! We told you (Name) was fine!"

"Hello, Tulsi...!"

She hurries to hug you.

"O-oh! Wait, Tulsi! I haven't bathed since yesterday morning..."

"Tss! Nonsense! As if your being was dirty! Where have you been (Name), my dear? I was worried!"

"After leaving Jubilife Village, we went to the Pearl Settlement in the Alabaster Icelands!"

"But why didn't you return with Adaman and the others?"

"I overstayed... to make up for the time lost with my friend."

You turn around to introduce Ingo, who politely tilts his hat.

"Tulsi! This is my friend Ingo. Ingo, here's my friend Tulsi!"

"Good morning, Mistress Tulsi. I am Warden Ingo, from the Pearl Clan. Pleasure to meet you."

"Ooh, I've heard about you from Warden Calaba! Nice to meet you, Warden Ingo! (Name), I'm pleased to hear that you've made such a good friend and that you're not alone any more! Friendship is very important! It's also an opportunity to travel to new places..."

"About that! Did you receive the gifts I bought on your behalf?"

"I did, thank you! My grandchildren loved them! Ore, Gano, say thank you!"

"Thaaanks, (Name)!", they shout in unison.

"I've brought you some souvenirs from the North! Look at that Sand Radish!"

"Wonderful! I'll make some pickles and a salad! Let's share a meal all together! You too, Warden Ingo!"

"What do you say, Ingo?"

"Thank you for your kind invitation. It would be a great pleasure, however, I do not wish to impose myself. Moreover, you and (Name) seem to have a lot to talk about."

"Be my guest, Warden Ingo! I insist!"

"Yeah, Sir! When Grandma insists, you can't say no!"

"All right, then. Thank you very much for having me, Mistress Tulsi.", he bows politely.

"(Name), (Name)!", Ore pulls on your sleeve. "Can I play with your Pokémon? I like him! I've never seen one like this before!"

"His name's Sneasel! I'm sure he'd get along just fine with your Murkrow and Gano's Carnivine!"

Sneasel simpers, obviously pleased to be getting attention.

"Tulsi, where's Bonsly?"

She turns around to show you Bonsly nicely sitting in her hood. He chirps.

"It is marvellous to see you and your Pokémon in such good terms.", Ingo comments and looks at you with a soft smile. He remembers that story you told him about Tulsi and Bonsly.

"Hee hee, we're the best of friends, indeed! Wherever I go, he follows! Now come, (Name), I'll give you and Warden Ingo clean clothes while I wash these!"

"Thank you kindly for your offer, Mistress Tulsi, but first and foremost, I must go and talk to Lord Adaman. I will join you later."

"Oh, right! I should go and say hello to him too!"

"Please, don't bother, (Name). I will go in person. Stay with Mistress Tulsi."

"Warden Ingo is right, (Name)! Adaman will wait! I also want to catch up with you!", Tulsi admits with glee. "Have you lost some weight, perhaps? I'll give you some food, too!"

At these words, Sneasel pats your head to get you to accept.

"O-okay, I guess... Ingo, please inform Adaman I'll go see him later!"

"Of course, (Name)."

You smile gratefully before walking away with Tulsi and her family.

***

Leafeon mews to greet the warden.

"Morning, Ingo! How are you?"

"Good morning, Lord Adaman. I am fine, thank you. I trust you are doing well?"

"Not too bad! I've heard from the children that Tulsi had snatched (Name) away?"

"The two of them had a happy reunion."

"I bet!"

"I apologise for the delay in bringing (Name) back to your clan, Lord Adaman, but yesterday's downpour was a serious setback to our progress. They will come and greet you as soon as possible."

"Yeah, that was nasty! By the way, how's Lady Sneasler?"

"Excellent, thank you for asking. She chose to remain at the base of the Coronet Highlands when (Name) and I set off early this morning. Our dear Lady needed some rest and to look after her subjects."

"Naturally. Besides, the Mirelands are definitely not our Noble Lady's cup of tea... I know how uncomfortable our Noble Ursaluna can make her feel, too! Now, Ingo, is there something you wanted to talk to me about? I'm sure you aren't just here to inform me of your presence."

"Indeed. I humbly request an audience with you, my Lord."

"Come on in."

"Much obliged."

Adaman, Ingo and Leafeon enter the hut.

The leader goes straight to a chest and takes out an object wrapped in a traditional cloth.

"I suspect that your request is related to Gaeric and Sabi's report?

"Yes. Sir Gaeric advised that the conditions inside the distortion field were worse than usual, and that he and Sabi had found a valuable clue."

"There it is."

Ingo and Adaman knee down to inspect the package. Adaman then unwraps the strangely shaped item.

"I need your expertise, Ingo. That steel plate... I've never seen anything like it before. Even at Jubilife Village, where the folks have modern equipment and buildings..."

Ingo carefully holds it. It is sturdy, but not too heavy. It indeed looks like a chunk of metal that could come from a Pokémon like Magnezone, meaning...

"It is from another world."

"Call me crazy, but that oddly reminds me of the metal tube that fell in our swamps. You weren't there, but I'm sure it came from that machine!"

"But my Lord, if that is the case... Do you suggest that some fragments have been transported to another place?"

"I'm not sure, but what if... What if the space-time rifts were connected between themselves? That's a theory Akari came up with before, and it makes so much sense!"

"How so?"

"When Sabi described me what she'd witnessed in that distortion field - the dark, sooty winds, and now that piece of metal scrap... It was exactly like what I saw, on that day we found (Name)!"

"Has Miss Sabi seen any other elements of that transportation device you allude to? Sir Gaeric did not mention any debris or fire..."

"None of it, apparently."

Ingo places an index finger on his mouth and a thumb under his chin, thinking.

"Or perhaps... What if the distortion fields were all connected to one single place?"

"I thought it was already the case? Do you mean, other than Akari and (Name)'s world?"

"If rifts are a door to a world separate from ours, could there be something in between? Like a corridor? I sincerely cannot believe that the rifts are only a link to the past and the present. That would sound illogical to me that it would be a one-way street. Furthermore, I doubt that (Name) and Miss Akari actually come from the same period of time..."

"Do you mean they're from a different moment... of the future?"

"It could be. Please look at it from that perspective - although I have fallen to Hisui many cycles ago, only a few months have passed since my disappearance in (Name)'s time. Miss Akari has been here for almost a cycle now. How long has actually passed in her time?"

"I reckon you're right... But what's that world in-between ours and theirs?"

"It is beyond me."

Adaman crosses his arms and exhales.

"Aah... That's as far as we get, but I'll take that, at least."

The warden puts back the steel plate on the floor.

"Ingo, I want to show that stuff to (Name) later and see if it rings a bell... By the way, how are they going? Have you noticed anything unusual about them during the last couple of days?"

Ingo cocks his head to the side, slightly confused.

"I am not sure if I follow, Lord Adaman. (Name) and I... To be honest, I barely remember anything at all from our time together. Some memories did come back, though. All I recall is that we were very important to each other."

"Have you had an open conversation about how they ended up here?"

"No, we haven't touched that topic yet. We have mostly been reminiscing about our lives, back in Unova. (Name) had many stories to share about my brother. Was I supposed to bring that subject?"

"Not particularly."

"(Name) is still affected by the loss of their Pokémon. They need guidance."

"I thank you for your patience, Ingo. You're a good friend. Glad my admonition did serve for something!"

"Certainly, Lord Adaman!"

"Honestly, I'm just curious about their state of mind, after they found you and all. I was also wondering whether being around you would jog their memory loose and vice-versa... When we tried to drag out the truth of them about their arrival, they'd have a terrible headache. The only thing they mentioned was that they were on their way home on that subway thing when they got thrown into Hisui."

"Ah, so (Name) was riding the Battle Subw--"

A memory flashes through Ingo's mind this instant.

He inspects every nook and cranny of the scrap of metal, under Adaman and Leafeon's interrogative eye.

"Have you discovered something, Ingo?"

"That..."

That is not a part of my subway, he thinks.

It belongs to another vehicle. It could be from a train as well, but definitely not one from Unova.

Perhaps a train from another region?

He is sure of it.

After all, it used to be his job.

As much as he would like to reveal that piece of information to Adaman, he would rather not arouse any more suspicions on you.

You may not be fully aware of what is going on.

Ingo tells himself that he will ask you directly, in order to know for certain.

The memory slowly fades away, but the sensation remains.

"Please, discard my previous remark. I thought I had a recollection of something, but it was a mere impression. I formerly worked as a Subway Boss, before becoming a warden."

"True, (Name) did mention it. So, Boss, what were you doing exactly on that subway?"

"My brother and I owned the whole edifice, apparently. We were Pokémon battling inside."

"Inside a moving cylinder that transported people from one village to another? How did that work?"

"It is a mystery to me. (Name) would probably be able to explain it to me."

"If you two are so close, maybe they'd confide in you about all of this."

Adaman points at the plate again.

"(Name) better not be faking that whole headache thing! Though I frankly believe they're not the type to deceive us."

"I, too, believe in (Name)'s good faith. I would rather not insist if they are not ready to talk."

"Suit yourself, Ingo. Anything else?"

"Have you got any information on Miss Akari's whereabouts?"

"Probably out in the wild inspecting more distortion fields or assisting Professor Laventon and Rei completing the Pokédex? Beats me! I'm not their captain! Why?"

"(Name) and I are interested in her progress in finding a way back to our world."

"Ah, so you've made your decision. You, too, are planning to leave Hisui."

Ingo slightly bows his head and stares at his own hands resting on his laps.

He is suddenly feeling self-conscious about how it may all sound to Lord Adaman.

What an irresponsible warden and unreliable man, after everything we have done for him...

"I'm sincerely relieved you're proactively seeking answers about your true identity and your original world. I feel kinda sorry for Irida and Lady Sneasler, though. I'm sure they'll cry their eyes out when you go, but mostly because of how happy they'll be for you!"

Adaman's smile brings comfort to Ingo's disquiet mind.

"Thank you for your support, my Lord."

"Anytime, Warden Ingo. Please, be our guest and feel free to stay among us as long as you need. Any plan for today?"

"Some rest this morning. In the afternoon, I am planning on visiting Warden Calaba."

"She'll be delighted to see you! It's been a while since your last visit. Please note that during daytime, she's at Brava Arena taking care of Lady Liligant, in the absence of Arezu. You could even properly introduce (Name) to Calaba! She provided Tulsi with medicinal herbs when (Name) was unconscious. Despite everything we've been through lately, I'm appalled Calaba'd rather live as a hermit in the middle of the bogs than spending time at the settlement with all of us! I've no idea what Irida's telling you, but we don't bite!"

"I swear this is not Lady Irida's fault. My fellow warden prefers the quietness of the swamps and enjoys studying the wild fauna and flora on her own. That is how she chose to serve Lord Ursaluna."

"I think she just prefers Pokémon to Humans! Whatever floats her boat... Send her my greetings and my thanks for her hard work."

"Your request will be processed, Lord Adaman."

"Now, you should go back. Tulsi must be smothering (Name) this second! You two keep an eye on 'em, please!"

"We will."

Adaman notices a glimmer of light in Ingo's eyes.

"Although your lips aren't moving, it actually looks like you're smiling! It's good to see you so amused!"

Surprised to be found out, Ingo's face slightly turns pink.

"I was thinking of how (Name) has a likeable and heartfelt disposition. They are very brave - so brave that they are not afraid to dive into action and act recklessly sometimes, or even to expose their weaknesses. That is why I can appreciate Tulsi's affection towards them. Those last couple days made me realise how much (Name) and I need each other."

It is now Adaman's turn to look puzzled, his face flushed with what seems like discomfort. He scratches the back of his head.

"I didn't expect you to be so direct about that sort of things!"

"That sort of things, my Lord?"

"Yeah, you know!..."

Ingo suddenly takes in what he has just said and blushes even more.

"M-my apologies, Lord Adaman. It just came out... It was not my intention to make you uncomfortable..."

"There's nothing wrong with expressing feelings! It's just, well... I mean, that's something you should tell (Name) directly, not me!"

Adaman gives him a knowing smile, while Leafeon wags his tail.

"Don't worry, Ingo! I'm not mad or anything! I'm just not used to someone other than my brother opening up to me like that about subtle and private matters! I'm definitely not as perceptive as Irida on that aspect, but I'm always happy to lend an ear, when needed."

"I won't trouble you any longer, my Lord. Thank you very much for your time. Please let me know if I can be of assistance..."

"All good for now. Have a nice day, you two! If you need anything, you know where to find me."

Ingo humbly bows before exiting Adaman's house. He crosses the village and finds Tulsi's house.

There, he sees you have changed into a clean dark blue tunic and are playing with Tulsi's grandchildren and all your Pokémon. He is surprised that the presence of a Rhyhorn among you.

"Look, here's your friend the warden!", Gano exclaims. His Carvinine cheerfully waddles.

You turn towards Ingo and smile happily.

"Hey! Is everything all right? How was Adaman? I hope he wasn't upset that I didn't go and greet him..."

"Not at all. He's pleased we arrived safely and that you were able to reunite with Mistress Tulsi."

"And if Adaman's got something to say about it, he'll come answer to me!", cuts in Tulsi, chuckling. "Look how much everyone's having fun!"

"Grandma! (Name) said they'd show us how to Pokémon battle!", Ore pulls on his grandmother's outfit.

Ingo's eyes suddenly glow with interest.

"What's a Pokémon battle?", asks Tulsi.

"It's when Pokémon use their attacks against each other!"

"But isn't that dangerous?", she worries.

"In a controlled environment, it is safe to battle. But of course, one can never be too prudent.", reassures Ingo.

"Show her, (Name)! Show her!", pleads Gano.

"All right, now! Why don't we try a Double Battle, since it's the two of you with Murkrow and Carvinine? I have Sneasel and Rhyhorn and all of them are around the same level, so that's fair!"

"YEAH!", the children excitedly shout.

"Furthermore, Warden Ingo here is an expert at it! He helps wielders and their Pokémon to get stronger at the Jubilife Village training grounds. I'm sure he could give you some good advice too!"

He modestly tilts his hat and place an arm behind his back.

"I will stand ready to assist if need be, however I can assure you that (Name) is a competent Wielder. I would be perfectly content to simply watch."

You are touched by his praise.

You tell Ore and Gano where to place themselves and their Pokémon.

"Do you remember our last conversation about Pokémon types?"

"Yes! About their strengths and weaknesses! You said that Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire and Fire beats Grass!"

"Correct! But there are many more types out there, so we need to think about it very carefully if you want to make the right choice. Types are a determining factor for your Pokémon's attack and defence. For example, here, Sneasel is a Poison and Fighting type Pokémon, while Rhyhorn is Rock and Ground type. Sneasel's combat moves would be very efficient against Rhyhorn's Rock capacities, nevertheless, Rhyhorn's Ground abilities would overpower Sneasel because of the Poison type."

"Oooh! So Pokémon can have two types?"

"Yes! For instance, your Murkrow is a Dark and Flying type Pokémon."

"But you said Carvinine was only Grass type! It is weaker than yours and Ore's?", enquires Gano, seemingly disappointed.

"Not at all! Sometimes, Pokémon with a double type may be more disadvantaged than others. Carvinine could put Rhyhorn in great difficulty!"

"That's because Grass is strong against Rock and Ground!"

"Oh, you've learnt your lesson very well! Shall we start battling?"

"Yeah, but I don't know what Carvinine can do..."

"My Murkrow's really good at pecking things!"

"Ah, I see! Maybe Carvivine could use Energy Ball on Rhyhorn, and Murkrow could use her Peck attack on Sneasel?"

Sneasel snorts to show that he has the intention to defend himself.

Rhyhorn does not look so confident. You knee next to him:

"It's okay, no pressure! We're just battling for the fun! When the attack comes to you, use Endure. Sneasel, I'm counting on you to have your partner's back this turn!", you reassure.

Sneasel nods.

"Ready? Let's start!"

"Murkrow, attack Sneasel!"

"Carvinine, use Energy Ball on Rhyhorn!"

"Rhyhorn, Endure! Sneasel, Quick Attack!"

The Pokémon braces himself as a ball of grass hits him. The other Pokémon avoids Murkrow's beak, but fails to hit the bird in return.

"Right! Rhyhorn, Scary Face! Sneasel, use Poison Jab on Carvivine!"

Rhyhorn glares at his opponents, and even Ore and Gano shudder at this sight.

Due to the fear, Carvinine cannot avoid Sneasel's poisoned claw, and eventually faints.

"Aaah! Carvinine can't fight any more!", sighs Gano.

"I'll handle it! My Pokémon can fly while Rhyhorn and Sneasel are stuck to the ground! Use Peck again!"

Murkrow beaks Sneasel on the head. Your Pokémon becomes frustrated as he cannot manage to touch the bird that is flying in circle above him and cackling.

"Oh! Is that true that (Name) and their Pokémon are in trouble?", asks Tulsi, turning to Ingo.

"I wouldn't be too quick to claim victory.", he whispers. "(Name) has more than one trick up their sleeve."

"Rhyhorn, look over there! Break this rock and use Smack Down!"

Rhyhorn runs into a nearby boulder to destroy it and deftly throws a stone at Murkrow, who falls to the ground. In shock, she is unable to fly away.

"Perfect! Now Sneasel! Use Slash!"

He swiftly attacks Murkrow, who faints soon after.

"Noooo! We lost!", whine Gano and Ore at first, before bursting into laughers.

Sneasel and Rhyhorn too jump happily and run towards you with pride, expecting to be congratulated.

"I won against you only because it wasn't my first battle! My friend who's a crack at Double Battles used to say that if a battle is not serious, it is not fun!"

A vision pops up in the back of Ingo's mind.

"I like winning more than anything."

The man in white.

The image flickers, but Ingo can clearly tell that the man is smiling at him.

"I am ˙̵̢͍̬͍̰̪̘͒̌̒͆ʇ̵̢̻̙͓̪̙̹̳͎̋́͜ͅǝ̷̫̩͓̭͈̜͓̱̈́́̈́ɯ̴̧̛͚͓̯͔͍͙͔̃̋͋͠ͅɯ̴̬͂̔͆Ǝ. I won together with Ingo. But if we fight again, we won't know what to expect.

"Emmet.", Ingo blurts out.

"Did you say something, Warden Ingo?", enquires Tulsi. Her Bonsly cheeps.

The warden shakes his head

"I am sorry. I was lost in thoughts just now."

He then glances at you comforting and encouraging the children, while Sneasel and Rhyhorn are friendly communicating with Murkrow and Carvinine. He claps and cheers enthusiastically:

"Bravo! Excellent! What a great battle that was! Master Ore and Master Gano have done their best. You only lost to (Name) because of their long experience and implacable strategy. You are promising young Wielders! All of us, me included, are but passengers on the road of progress. If you keep training, you and your partners will bond and eventually become stronger together! I can only encourage you to work together as brothers, close rivals and allies."

He cracks a smile.

"My twin brother and I always used to challenge each other to get better. That was the kind of relationship we had."

Emmet's voice resonates in his head:

"It's always a lot of fun when we're together!"

Ingo then notices your melancholic expression and wonders whether his words brought back distant memories to you.

He knows that you miss Emmet, as well as your home.

He hopes his presence is still enough to make you happy.

"I want to train some more with you, (Name)!", says Ore, whose Murkrow caws stoutly.

Tulsi softly puts her hand on Ingo's forearm:

"Warden Ingo, please come with me if you wish to refresh yourself. In the meantime, allow me to wash your clothes while you bathe. I will lend you one of my son's kimono."

"I am much obliged, Mistress Tulsi, but I do not mind taking care of my own belongings and save you some time."

"I've got plenty of time, now!"

She is so insistent on being helpful that Ingo does not dare say no. He accepts to follow her.

He steals a glance at you and his heart pounds when he sees you laughing so merrily with everyone else.

Smiling so light-heartedly

Putting aside the nostalgia

Forgetting where you come from to focus on the present.

He shies away from the voice in his heart who wants him to confess that he needs you.

***

While you help Tulsi hang the rest of the laundry, Adaman comes to meet and ask you how the trip went. He also advises that there is something he would like to show you later.

Leafeon rubs against your legs and purrs, prompting Sneasel to hiss at him. The latter gets even more offended as Adaman's partner snobs him.

After a brief talk to Tulsi and her grandchildren, the leader and his Pokémon leave. You sit down on the porch, and that is when you see Ingo return, wearing a charcoal-coloured nagagi and assorted haori. You cannot help but gaze at him with eyes shining in awe.

"Woah! You look superb dressed in a kimono!" you compliment.

He stands still for several seconds, stupefied.

"T-thank you kindly. The cut of the kimono makes me look good, I assume..."

"You used to be snazzy in your Subway Boss outfit, but this one is another level!"

"Snazzy?"

"Yes! Stylish and attractive. Something of the sort...", your voice fades after realising you have pronounced it too eagerly.

"I didn't know that word. Or perhaps I didn't remember it. Thank you for saying it, anyway."

He sits down right next to you. You find him more relaxed and seemingly younger.

"How did Masters Ore and Gano go?"

"We kept Pokémon battling for a bit, and finally stopped to lend a hand to Tulsi with the laundry. Adaman came soon after."

"What did you talk about?"

You are slightly taken aback by Ingo's tone.

"Nothing in particular. He was curious about how the return leg went, and if I was better here than at Irida's... He also said he wanted to show me something, but it wasn't urgent."

"I see. Very well."

He sounds relieved, somehow.

"It was a good fight, earlier. Your pedagogy is good. The children and their Pokémon looked very happy."

"You'd have done better than me..."

"I wouldn't guarantee it. As you have rightly pointed out, your Pokémon and theirs are of similar levels. Mine would have appeared too strong and frightening for impressionable young children. The purpose isn't to scare them from Pokémon battles, but to make them enjoy it step by step."

"You're right. I'm not certain if I could teach... I was just trying to be in the moment. It was a fun battle, indeed! It's been a while... I haven't been Pokémon battling for... Maybe more than a month, already? I've lost track of time here, I don't know how long it has been in my world... And now I've got to learn how to get sync with new Pokémon all over again..."

"I presume you don't lose the experience you've acquired over the years."

You silently watch all the Pokémon interact with each other.

"By the way, (Name). Whose Rhyhorn is this?"

"Ah! He belongs to one of Adaman's guardsmen, Thym. He used to carry me around on his back, when I was too weak to walk. We also worked together to help a child who was in a pinch, once. He's a good boy, and pretty strong too! I didn't expect him to charge at me when he saw me! He couldn't stop and blasted that rock, over there...", you point at what is left of the mineral. "Thym told me that his Pokémon missed me, so he agreed to let him stay and play with me today."

"My hunch was right, Pokémon are naturally attracted to you!"

Ingo smiles softly, prompting you to blush.

"I... I've always felt so much better around Pokémon than with any other human beings. Until I met you and Emmet, my closest friends were my own Pokémon. It doesn't mean I'm asocial, or that I struggle to make meaningful connections. Put simply, I've got the feeling that Pokémon understand me even better than I do myself."

"And you understand them. Pokémon, too, want very simple things. Peace and quiet. Compassion, meaningful connections."

He places his hand on yours. This contact and gentle expression send shivers down your spine.

"I think you and I understand each other as well."

You stare at Ingo's hand to avoid his gaze, feeling your face burning up.

"You know, (Name)... I was talking to Lord Adaman earlier, and I thought... I..."

His voice is suddenly small. It feels like his throat dries out - he either cannot find the right words or is hesitant to admit them.

He sighs, before letting go of your hand.

"Is everything all right, Ingo?"

"Yes. It was nothing. I think I've lost my train of thought."

He cracks a smile.

"I enjoy your company."

You chuckle.

"I do too. But Ingo, are you actually a Pokémon?"

"An interesting thought... Who knows? After all, Pokémon are my closest partners since I've fallen here. That is the reason why I can relate to your own experience."

He then looks at you with a serious expression.

"(Name), do you remember how you've arrived in Hisui? We've never discussed it in details until now."

You observe him for a second.

Your ears are ringing

A humming sound, reverberating from far away.

"That's correct, but I honestly can't remember much... It almost feels like a dream... I left Johto in disarray, then I was riding the subway..."

"The Battle Subway?"

"Of course! There's only one... Right?"

A sudden flash of light makes you blink.

You touch your forehead.

"Ugh... I can't remember flying back to Unova, though... But I'm sure I was on my way home..."

You close your eyes but continue to see flashing lights and to hear whistling sounds that give you a headache.

"... Or could it be that I was actually on the Train Magnet, or another train from that region? I'm sure I was going somewhere..."

You start sweating and panting.

"(Name), what is going on? You look very pale.", Ingo enquires worriedly.

"I don't know... The more I try to remember, the more I feel sick..."

You hear distinctly the high-pitched squeal of train brakes.

Ingo softly places his hand on the back of your head and pulls you against his chest.

"Enough, (Name)! Lay your head on my shoulder and rest."

"I-Ingo..."

The palm of his hand against your cheek and temple is so warm.

"... Ingo, do you remember how you ended up here? What happened when that Pokémon attacked you in the tunnel? Did you fall through the space-time rift?"

"I haven't got a clue. The furthest memory I have from this place is waking up, alone, in the middle of the mountains. It was very long ago."

"There was no rift in the sky?"

"There wasn't."

"Maybe it immediately closed after you fell from it..."

"I haven't the foggiest."

"But when Akari opened it and landed here, it didn't close afterwards, did it?"

"Indeed, it didn't resolve by itself. Miss Akari is the one who very recently shut the huge rift on top of Mount Corronet, with the assistance of the almighty Dialga and Palkia."

"N-no way! S-she tamed two legendary Pokémon!?"

"Yes, she did. A lot has happened but to put it in a nutshell, the three of them have been unable to open it again. Moreover, various other smaller rifts and space-time distortions keep randomly materialising here and there. Miss Akari is as perplexed as the rest of us, that's why she and Mister Volo have been carrying out this investigation together, lately. I'm unsure what they're looking for, but it would be worth checking if any progress was made. This puzzle is missing so many pieces, and I hope she could explain it to us in further detail. We'll talk to her in a timely manner. For now, I'd encourage you to rest."

"What about you? What will you do?"

"I'll stay with you until the afternoon, as I've planned to visit my fellow warden to bring her up to date with the latest news from the Pearl Clan."

"Of course."

"I think you should have a nap this afternoon. Mistress Tulsi won't hold it against you."

Rhyhorn moves closer to you and gently nudges your leg. He seemingly wants you to climb on his back.

"I'm amazed you actually enjoy letting me ride you, Rhyhorn! It's uncommon..."

Sneasel hops on Rhyhorn's back and mews to motivate you to do the same. The mount grunts and bucks him off. Disappointed, Sneasel jumps on Ingo's laps and pouts.

"Lady Sneasler likes to carry people on her back too.", Ingo says, petting Sneasel.

"I think she likes to carry you on her back."

"Oh... That's because we've known each other for a long time, and I don't wiggle in her basket so as not to destabilise her."

"I think she prefers you of all people. You're her most precious warden, after all."

"P-precious, you say... I haven't done anything specific to deserve such affection from our Noble Pokémon."

"You don't need to. You're a likeable person, so I understand her feelings very well! If I were a Pokémon, I wouldn't mind carrying you around to have you close to me all the time! Hee hee, I wonder if that's how Rhyhorn feels about me?"

You did not expect Ingo to be taken aback by your words, and suddenly feel self-conscious about your remark sounding childish.

You stand up and straddle Rhyhorn, who seems to be over the moon. He merrily trots in large circles.

"I can't imagine a situation where you'd need to carry me on your back...", Ingo shyly resumes.

"I did, already."

He is speechless.

"I beg your pardon?"

"That's a long story..."

***
(1 July 2022)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.3K 253 23
Book 1 Ash Ketchum had supposedly died in that Forest Fire created by the Boss of Team Rocket Giovanni after being betrayed by the ones closest to hi...
272K 6.4K 60
After travelling back to Kanto from a long holiday with his Mom, Ash finds all of his friends in the Kanto region. They all meet and discover a tourn...
18.4K 1.9K 37
It's horrible to don a mask. Most wear some kind of mask in their life--and for the most part, they're never of the best quality. All they cause...
23.7K 534 8
An autistic Korean American young man died saving a family who were playing Pokémon Go. Luckily for him, he reincarnates into the world of Pokémon! ...