365 Days

By saladasandvegemite

"I am going to die." Yes, you heard right. Dakota Everett is going to die. She is given a year and wants to d... More

362
362
359
359 // 358
358
358
357
354
351
350
250
248
246
245
245
244
238
225
224
224
223
223
223
222
199
183
183
182
172
159
154
153
141
140
134
133
133
121
110
105
99
97
84
84 // Alex's POV
73
72
56
40
32//31
- 1065
Author's Note // Editing In Progress

240

17.4K 643 176
By saladasandvegemite

240

It's Thursday morning and I just got out of the doctors with Quentin and Mum. It's nearly half past nine meaning I'm late to school, but Mum doesn't rush to get there. Instead she goes the speed limit and we sing Quentin's favourite song What Does The Fox Say all the way there.

That song will now be stuck in my head the whole day and I don't even like it. In fact, I have come to despise it. What's worse is that I will walk into class in the middle of English and my teacher won't be too happy about that.

Mum signs me in and the secretary hands me a late pass. I say goodbye to Mum and my little brother and head down the hallway, trying to keep in the spots of sun that are shining in through the windows. It is meant to be 20 degrees Celcius today, so I optimistically wore a t-shirt and jeans. It's probably around 16 degrees now but it should warm up by recess.

I quickly get my books from my locker and go to English, enduring a lecture from my teacher on why tardiness is 'impolite', even though I have a late slip in my hand. I decide not to argue today and just sit down up the back beside Luke. He has saved me a seat so I slide into it. He gives me a sympathetic look and I huff, rolling my eyes in agreement.

It turns out we are going through Hamlet, the scene I was doing with Alex on Sunday. Since then, he has come over a few times and we have continued to read through the play. I made sure to stay in the kitchen where Mum was so that I wouldn't be able to focus too much on Alex.

The class read through the play and the teacher thankfully doesn't ask me to read lines, probably learning from last time that I am useless. Alex can help me understand it but he can't help me with my reading.

Class is dismissed late as it always is, and Luke and I walk out together. We complain about the cold considering he did not bring a jumper either, and then we move onto the plans for the weekend.

"Are you doing anything Saturday morning?" He asks me, leaning against the locker beside mine. I put books in my locker and close the door.

"Not that I can think of, why?"

We walk up the rickety stairs and to his locker, dodging all our peers who are running around the halls. The sun creates quite the buzz of excitement, even though it is far from warm.

"Do you want to come over? We can just hang out, watch movies, talk about Alex's ginormous crush on you." He laughs and stops at his locker. It's outside on the balcony and over looks the courtyard.

I roll my eyes but nod. "Sure, that sounds great. Except for talking about Alex. Let's not do that." I'd rather spend at least a few hours without that boy clouding my thoughts.

"But as the best friend, it is vital for me to obtain intel." Luke closes the door to his locker and laughs. I just shake my head as we head to the cafeteria.

"There's no 'intel' to obtain," I inform him. "He knows this, too."

"Sure." He doesn't believe me, but doesn't push it. "I'm still a good wingman though."

"Whatever you say."

Luke and I end up walking around the school for the twenty minutes of recess before heading to class. Aiden and Lacey are both in my class so I sit with them and talk. We have a substitute teacher and he doesn't even tell us what to do, so we chat.

At lunch Aiden goes to his locker while I go with Lacey to hers. "How's it going?" I ask her. She has light brown her hair out today - a rare thing for Lacey - and it looks really nice.

"Good," she lulls, closing her locker and smoothing out her pretty skirt. It seems everyone was optimistic this morning when they saw the sun. It's warm-ish now, but I could still go with a hoodie. "And you? How are things with Alex?"

I try not to squirm at that question because truth be told, I don't know. We're in an odd situation.

"Okay something has clearly happened there. Every time I have asked you about him you've gone all weird and squirmy and avoided the question." She crosses her arms, being far more observant than I gave her credit for. And then she says; "Oh God, that sounded a bit rude, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that."

I laugh at how sweet she is. "Don't worry, it's fine. I've been friends with Olive for forever. That's nothing."

Lacey laughs as we enter the cafeteria, the stark white walls seeming even whiter with the sun streaming in. We head over to our table in the little hideout with only Luke, Beckett and Ryan there.

"Okay. But you're avoiding the question," she tells me.

"I know. It's weird though, you know? He said he is 'starting to like me', whatever that means, but I don't like him; not like that anyway. But he's been helping me with Hamlet because I suck at it and ugh. I don't know." I rake a hand through my hair and we take our seats at the table. Lacey pecks Beckett on the cheek before sitting down beside him, while I sit opposite, in between Luke and Ryan.

"How's it going, girls?" Ryan asks us, taking a bite from his apple.

"Good," we respond together. "And you?" I ask, although for some reason I'm starting to feel uneasy, like something is going on in my stomach. For a moment I'm worried it's my PMP but I had a checkup this morning and everything was A-okay.

"I'm great," Ryan responds, while Luke and Beckett respond with the average "Good."

Something's not right and I have no idea what it is, but I just feel like I need to leave. I stand up and excuse myself and thankfully, they don't ask questions. I walk by Olive on the way and I explain what's going on. She gives me a hug and says we can talk after school, and then let's me go. She's worried but she knows I will be okay.

After five minutes of aimlessly walking around I find myself heading towards the music rooms. I end up in Music Lesson Room 3, which is a small brick room with a piano and two stools. I used to learn piano when I was young but quit because I was more interested in netball.

I only remember one song, which only came out a few months before I quit. I still remember it though.

I lift the heavy lid of the piano and let my eyes look over the keys, wondering if I can even play anymore.

There's only one way to find out.

I lift my hands to the piano and play:

5, 1, 3. D, D, G.

And I'm off, playing the song until it ends, and then playing it again. And again. And again. I feel the unease slipping away as I pour myself into the instrument, completely transfixed.

I get better with every next one I play and it becomes routine again. I can't believe how much I've missed this, the way the keys feel against my fingers, the way the music floats through the air. It's magic.

I feel hands on my shoulders and I jump, hitting my knees on the piano. I curse and turn around, looking up to see Alex grinning down at me.

"Prick," I mutter, shrugging his hands off me. "What are you doing here?"

He makes himself comfortable on the bench beside me. "That's what I get after looking for you for half of lunch?"

"You didn't have to do that." I look down to the keys, not being able to look at him. I don't know why.

"I did. You weren't in homeroom this morning and I didn't see you at recess, but Luke said you are at school so yeah, I did."

I shake my head. This boy is beyond confusing.

"Sure," I say, and then start playing again, trying to ignore his eyes on me. He doesn't comment on my playing, but instead asks me about this weekend.

"Are you doing anything on Saturday?"

I nod, my fingers continuing to flitter across the keys. "I'm going to Luke's for the morning."

"Oh," he says, his voice sounding a bit off. I look at him briefly and he is frowning. "Well, do you want to hang out after that? Every time we've seen each other this week it's been around Hamlet, so I was wondering if you wanted to, well, yeah. Hang out." I have to wonder what's wrong, because he is still frowning when I look at him again. His eyes catch mine and I instantly look back at the keys, my cheeks going pink. I'm thankful for the curtain my hair is creating between my face and his eyes.

"Sure," I accept, getting to the climax of the song, just before the end. When I finish, I close the lid to the piano and get up, Alex following my lead. "But don't you have football on Saturday?" I ask. I'm sure they have a game.

"Yeah, but it starts at half past four," he explains, holding the door open for me. "Unless you're staying at Luke's until later... Then we could just catch up after the game."

What the Hell is wrong with him? He's not smiling or smirking or laughing and his voice is off. Something is definitely wrong but I feel like I shouldn't ask.

"No. Luke and I are just going to watch a movie and talk about, stuff," I roll my eyes and what Luke wants to talk about. "I should be home at about 2pm at the latest. Is that okay?"

"Mmmh," he says, leading me to my locker.

"Alex?" I ask. He turns his head to face me as we come to a stop in front of my locker. "What's up? You're being weird."

"No I'm not," he fires back, all too defensively. "You're being weird." And then he turns and walks away.

Yes, and I'm the weird one...

The last two periods go by in a blur and then school is over. Olive and I meet in the hallway and walk to her car together, happy to see Alex already there.

"Hello ladies," he grins and hops into the backseat. At least he's back to his usual self. I flick the heating on in the car and Olive turns the key in the ignition.

"So are you going to Dakota's house or your own today, Alex?" Olive asks, sounding like a taxi driver asking for directions.

"Dakota?" Alex asks me. We haven't talked about what we're doing today and I don't know if I want to.

"I don't mind," I shrug, looking at him in the rear view mirror. "Your choice."

"I don't mind either," he says, poking his tongue out at me. I laugh at how much he resembles my four year old cousin; so immature and so cute.

"God you two are useless," Olive huffs, rolling her eyes at the two of us. "I'll make the decision for you. We'll all go to Dakota's house and hang out. I was thinking of inviting everyone over anyway."

"I think you take the phrase 'make yourself at home' a bit too far," I wink. Alex laughs while Olive shrugs.

"I don't have to make myself at home when it basically is my home. But yes to the plan?"

"Sure. I'll text everyone," I volunteer.

"You don't have to. I was just being nice and saying it was a plan. I already asked. They'll be there at four." Olive laughs like she's gone mad, her orange hair in two high ponytails making her look even madder.

"God, you're an idiot," I join in on her laughter.

"Yes, yes I am."

We get home and we set Alex on the task of making popcorn while we run upstairs.

"What was going on at lunch?" Olive asks, jumping on my bed and making herself comfortable. "You seemed so out of it. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I nod, glancing to the door quickly. "It wasn't anything mucin-related. I don't know what it was really. I just was feeling really uneasy but that disappeared when I was playing piano."

"You played again? That's great!" She exclaims, bouncing up and down. I pad across the room to dig my hoodie out of a draw. "And damn, that's strange. Could it be anything Alexander-related?" My best friend is smirking now, her eyebrows raised suggestively.

"Definitely not," I dismiss automatically.

"How do you know for sure?" She asks. "He's been here nearly every day since you got out of hospital and I know you're attracted to him. You don't think it could be that you're actually starting to like the guy?"

"Nope." I shake my head profusely. I know I don't like Alex but I can't deny that I am attracted to him. "But, hmm." I don't know how to say this without it sounding like I like him.

"Just say it. You're running out of time," she huffs, before freezing. Her eyes widen. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that everyone's going to be here soon and Alex is going to be up here in a few minutes as well. God, so-"

"Stop stressing," I laugh, shaking my head. "You're overthinking it. And I know everyone will be here soon but I don't know how to say it."

"Just say what you're thinking. I can decode it."

I take a breath, walking over to my door to close it before sitting on my desk chair. "You know how I'm useless at Shakespeare?"

She nods, frowning.

"Well, Alex has been helping me with that. He's really knows his stuff, so that's why he's been here so much since Sunday," I explain, biting my lip.

"Okay," Olive trails off. "And?"

"Um. Okay. Well. It's just that- um. He's really confident with it and it's just, I don't know."

Olive's face brightens in understanding and she lets out a small squeal. "OH MY GOD!" She squeals, her eyes widening. "That turns you on, doesn't it? Alex reading? Holy shit, Dakota!"

"Shut up," I grumble, knowing my cheeks are flaming red. I curl up into a ball to hide my face when my bedroom door swings open.

"What happened? I heard someone scream," Alex asks. I don't dare to look at him but Olive bursts out laughing.

"Olive," I groan. "Shut up."

"What happened?" Alex repeats, but this time he sounds more amused and curious, than worried and curious.

"Nothing," I protest, keeping my head on my knees. "Nothing happened."

"Let's just say you're a lucky man." Olive bursts laughing again and I look up at her, my eyes murderous. She stops laughing, says "Oh shit," and runs out of the room. I don't bother chasing her, but wait until the footsteps have reached downstairs. Then I look up.

Alex is still here, standing in the doorway with his eyes on me. I can't look at him right now without my cheeks flaming, so I walk to the door. He doesn't move and when I look up at him, he smiles. "Why am I a lucky man?" Alex asks, his voice low and not pressuring.

I groan, shoving my hands in the pockets of my hoodie. "It doesn't matter. Just get out of the way, will you?"

"If you ask nicely," he says, putting his arms on either side of the doorframe to stop me from leaving.

"Please?" I ask in a sickly sweet tone, batting my eyelashes.

"That wasn't the type of asking nicely I was referring to." His voice is suggestive and I really really want to punch him. Instead, I decide to mess with him. I take step toward him and run my hands up his chest, my eyes flicking up to his when they reach his shoulders. I stand on my tiptoes and lean in, enjoying the serious and shocked shade his face has turned.

I can feel his breath on my lips and it's then that I slip underneath his arm and run down the stairs.

When I get there, I'm faced with Olive in kitchen, eyebrows raised, arms crossed. "Nice restraint," she drawls with sarcasm. "Really. I'm so proud."

I huff, pulling my blonde hair into a ponytail.

"Shut up and get the popcorn."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
694 26 23
COMPLETED (Bonus Chapter coming soon) Vera has 22 days to live. She has a disease that is slowly killing her. The doctors are unable to identify what...
810 57 16
Alice and Derek are bestfriends. Alice is a 17 year old who loves to have fun but is insecure about herself. Derek is a jock.He is known to play with...
386K 9.3K 36
A naive teenage girl gets pregnant by the school player when he convinces her to come over and 'study'. Will he stay the player and leave her or beco...