Saving the Sons of Durin

By hawkins_2000

What happens when Ellia of Rivendell all but invites herself into the company of Thorin Oakenshield after ove... More

Characters
Introduction
Thand Er
Thand Tád
Thand Neled
Thand Canad
Thand Leben
Thand Eneg
Thand Odo
Thand Toloth
Thand Neder
Thand Caen
Thand Minque
Thand Rasto
Thand Nelequë
Thand Canaquë
Thand Lepenquë
Thand Enenquë
Thand Otoquë
Thand Toloquë
Thand Neterquë
Thand Yuquain
Thand Yuquain-Er
Thand Yuquain-Tád
A/N
Thand Yuquain-Neled
Thand Yuquain-Canad
Thand Yuquain-Leben
Thand Yuquain-Eneg
Thand Yuquain-Odo
Thand Yuquain-Neder
Thand Thirtui
Thand Thirtui-Er
Thand Thirtui-Tád
Thand Thirtui-Neled
Thand Thirtui-Canad
Thand Thirtui-Leben

Thand Yuquain-Toloth

203 6 0
By hawkins_2000

After about half an hour, Ellía managed to excuse herself and slip out of the loud room. She closed the door behind her and walked down the long corridor, passing a few groups of younger dwarves who had chosen to gather elsewhere. The elf smiled and greeted those who looked at her, but noticed one group sending her cold looks and turning their backs to her. The girl's heart clenched bit as she quickened her pace and headed for the front entrance.

She had completely forgotten about the possible dislike from some dwarves as she had been welcomed so warmly by the company's families. Ellía greeted the soldiers she had become friends with before hurrying out the front gates, and down the steps. The cool mountain breeze made her hair whip around her face as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had been in the mountain all day and now her worries were back as she thought back to the dwarves and dwarrow in the halls. She needed to recharge under the sky for a bit and calm her frayed nerves.

The glaring dwarves had looked to be around Kili and Fili's age, but there was really no way of being sure of their actual age, and possibly of a higher class. The males had been dressed in sleek traveling clothes, handsome leather armor, and thick cloaks. The females had been wearing dresses and cloaks like Dis, and some flashy jewels and pendants. If those of the upper class held resentment towards her and her people, would she even be able to stay much longer? Would they demand that she leave their home? Thorin wouldn't allow that, but she didn't want to cause any tension between him and his people.

Someone cleared their throat and she whipped around to see the group of those who had been stand-offish in the hallways. "So, you must be the elf." One of the males said, walking down a few steps as he looked her up and down. "I am Ellía." She replied calmly and bowed her head. One of the dwarrow snickered and crossed her arms over her chest as she looked down at Ellía from the top step. "I don't see how a wee thing like you did half the things they are claiming." The same male said as he stepped down to look Ellía in the eyes.

The elf felt her hands grow a bit clammy as she remained silent. "I suspect you have them all under some elven spell. Trying to earn back the dwarven favor now that we are back in a place of power." He mused with a cruel grin, making the others laugh. "Perhaps she simply kept the company company on the road." A dwarrow sneered with a harsh laugh, and the others joined her. "If that is what you think of me, then I apologize for giving you the wrong impression." Ellía finally said, keeping her voice level. She could not lash out at them without making the situation worse.

"Of course that's the impression we get. They fawn over you. The princes won't let you out of their sight! They have hardly spoken to any of us since we arrived! And two of us will be their future partners." Snapped the first dwarrow as she walked down to stand next to the male. The dwarrow glared at Ellía and growled, "I know whose belt you where, elvish whore...". Before the elf could respond, a harsh voiced called from behind them, "Iri. Áshild."

They all spun around to see Balin standing there with an angry expression. "Lord Balin." All the dwarves said quickly and bowed their heads to him. "I think it would be best if ya' went back inside and behaved like the lords and ladies you were raised to be." He said lowly as he glared at all of them. Without another word the young dwarves hurried back inside and Ellía let out a heavy sigh as she dropped down to sit on the bottom step.

Balin quietly joined the elf and placed a comforting hand on her back. Ellía felt her eyes begin to sting and rested her head in her hands, not wanting Balin to see the tears trying to force their way out. "Don't take their words to heart, El. They all begged to join Thorin on the quest to prove themselves, but he would not allow it. They are jealous that you joined us. That is all." Balin explained gently. Ellía blinked away her tears and looked at Balin with a forced smile. "That must be it." She said, not sounding very convincing.

She stood up quickly and breathed Radag's name into the wind. "Why don't you come back inside. We are about to begin the feast. Thorin wants to officially present you and recognize all that you did to help." Balin said as he also stood up. A distant whiny carried through the air as Radag came galloping over a hill's crest and towards them. "I-I'm not feeling all that well, to be honest." She said awkwardly and bent down to undo her boots.

"Should I bring you to Oin?" Balin questioned, worriedly. "No, no. Do not bother him. I think I just n-need ... fresh air.", she stuttered and pulled off her woolen socks. Balin watched her with furrowed brows. "Lass, is everything all right?", he asked gently, stepping closer to her. Ellía met his concerned gaze and gave him a sad smile. "This is a time for your people to celebrate and relish in your reclaimed home and power. I will only be a reminder of a painful past.", she told him as Radag came to a skidding halt next to her.

"You're speaking nonsense, Ellía. We wouldn't have a king or any heirs without you! You'd be a reminder of all the things we have to be grateful for." Balin laughed. She smiled at the dwarf as she tucked her socks into her boots. She sat her boots next to the steps and rolled her trouser legs to rest above her ankles. Radag let out an impatient whiny and stamped his feet as the elf walked toward him stroking a hand down broad neck.

Ellía turned back around to face Balin and said, "Please, tell Thorin and the others I am sorry, but I cannot go back in there tonight. I need to be somewhere where my every move won't be studied and judged. Where my interactions with you all won't be interpreted for something it is not... I will return tomorrow. I promise." The dwarf stepped forward and brought his forehead to rest against hers and replied, "It is all right, little one. He will understand. They all will."

Ellía placed a chaste kiss to Balin's cheek in thanks and pulled away. As she went to pull herself onto Radag's back, she stopped, remembering something. She hesitated before undoing the belt around her waist and holding it out to Balin. "Kili let me borrow this without informing me this was something Fili had crafted for his One. The dwarrow you called Áshild seemed to notice. I think it's best I do not continue to wear it." She explained as the older dwarf took it.

Balin seemed like he wanted to say something but Ellía returned to Radag and mounted him before he had a chance. "I heard that Dale was celebrating something tonight. That might be what you need!", Balin called as she and Radag turned to leave. "Thank you, Balin." She told him kindly before Radag took off in a mad gallop for the city of Dale. "And where is she going?"  A voice called out to Balin.

He turned to see Fili and Kili walking out of the front gate. "She just needs a night away from the mountain. Come along, lads. Your uncle will be speakin' in a moment." Balin said as her picked up the elf's boots and headed towards them. "Oh, Fili. Um, Ellía wished for me to return this to you." Balin said as he held out the belt.

Fili gently took the belt from him and ran his fingers over there engravings. "Why did she take it off?" Kili asked quickly. "Apparently, your brother's top admirer noticed it. Ellía thought it best if she didn't wear it." Balin explained with an arched brow at the golden-haired prince, still studying the belt. "That is one dwarrow I did not wish to see again." Kili huffed and looked away from the elf's silhouette and to his brother. "Now, now. Come on." Balin scolded and headed inside.

"She'll be back, Fee. Today was a lot for her. And knowing Áshild, she probably didn't help matters. I'm sure Iri was with her, along with their whole mob. You know how cruel they can be to outsiders." Kili sighed and placed a hand on Fili's shoulder. Fili looked up from the belt and watched as Ellía and Radag disappeared behind a hill's crest. "I- do you think she'd ever- I-... never mind." He stuttered out before turning to walk back inside.

Kili grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "Do I think she'd ever give you a chance? Yes, nadad. I do." Kili told him firmly with a smile. Fili stared at him in surprise and asked, "Truly? You do?". Kili laughed and threw and arm around his shoulder, guiding him inside. "Of course, I do. I mean, winning over elven maidens runs in the family, does it not?" The younger prince quipped, earning smile from Fili. "I suppose it does." He said quietly and gently rolled the belt up, placing it in his pocket.

They walked back into the feast hall and joined their mother and uncle at the head of the large table in the middle of the hall where all the direct descendents of Durin sat. Kili whispered, "Don't throw yourself at her, though. She's still very young for an elf. I doubt she's even had her first romance, yet. You do not want to scare her with the idea of being someone's One." Fili nodded in agreement as they sat down. Balin stood next to Thorin whispering in his ear, informing him of Ellía's temporary absence, before joining his family on the right side of the table.

Just as Balin left, Dis questioned, "Where is Ellía?". Thorin sighed and began to say, "She was not feeling well-", but Dis cut him off. "Did something happen. Was someone cruel towards her?" The dwarrow demanded fiercely. "Yes and it will be dealt with later, Dis. Making a scene will not help her." Throin said seriously and had to grip his sister's arm to keep her in her seat. "It was one of you two's prospects, wasn't it? My guess would be that little nightmare, Áshild." Dis huffed at her sons. They nodded in response and Dis cursed.

"I bet she saw your belt on the girl." She sighed and took a drink of her ale. The princes' eyes widened and looked at their mother as Thorin sent them a questioning look. "Yes, I noticed, Fili. I watched you make that years ago." Dis scoffed and took a bite of her cheese. "You gave Ellía a betrothal gift?" Thorin asked lowly. Fili almost spit out his ale and Kili let out a laugh. "No! No! Kili gave it to her to borrow today. It was his idea of being funny, I suppose." Fili said with a glare at his brother.

"Mhmm..." Thorin hummed as he studied Fili's flustered state, but decided not to mention it, and stood up from his seat. The hall became silent as everyone looked to their king. Thorin looked out at his people and felt the most at peace he had been in a very long time. A moment later he called out, "Dayamu khuzan ai-menu, naudad et naumad..."

~ Dwarvish translations ~

Iri (the male dwarf) - Irish for a person who spreads rumors

Áshild (the female dwarf) - a name of Norse origin that means God fighting

Nadad - brother

**Dayamu khuzan ai-menu, naudad et naumad... - Blessings of the ancestors upon you, brothers and sisters...

**{ Some translations used from Dwarvish by lunawolf8074 }

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.1K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...
7.3K 225 28
Urzoth, daughter of Azog the Defiler has been trained all her life to do one thing: befriend the dwarves. Ever since her father lost his arm in the b...
29.6K 913 10
In the next part of our story, the company of Thorin Oakenshield rush across Middle-Earth in order to get to the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day. (Y/n...
8.4K 287 12
Sequel to The Journey(A fanfic). (Desolation of Smaug fanfic. Please watch the movie first, for there are many SPOILERS.) Bre and company were saved...