Haven's Winter (#Wattys 2015)

By delenaftw

»And as the sun turns the sky to gold, then bright red, then dark blue, I realize something. Something I knew... More

Chapter One: Harsh Reality
Chapter Two: Noah What's-His-Last-Name
Chapter Two (part two): Alex
Chapter Three: Twenty Questions
Chapter Four: Deal With The Devil
Chapter Five: Going Undercover
Chapter Six: I'm Not Her
Chapter Seven: Camping Trip
Chapter Eight: Hearts Are Breakable
Chapter Nine: Game On
Chapter Ten: Cold And Sweet
Chapter Eleven: Surprise, Surprise
Chapter Twelve: Setting Heart
Chapter Thirteen: Take A Chance, Pay The Price
Chapter Fourteen: Drunk Confessions
Chapter Fifteen: Osculum Dare
Chapter Sixteen: Heart To Heart
Chapter Seventeen: Light Of A Thousand Stars
Chapter Eighteen: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter Twenty: Intuition
Chapter Twenty-One: Theory Of A Lie
Paper Planes [PLEASE READ THIS]
Chapter Twenty-Two: Broken
Chapter Twenty-Three: Right Before My Eyes
Chapter Twenty-Four: Only Love Hurts Like This
Chapter Twenty-Five: Tear Me Apart
Chapter Twenty-Six: Where Rainbows End
EPILOGUE
Q&A
SEQUEL
THE SEQUEL IS UP!!
Hey, everybody!

Chapter Nineteen: I'm Yours

6.5K 327 32
By delenaftw

Hey,

So, the new chapter is here... Woohoo!

I was thinking about how long I want this story to be. I still don't know. It could be twenty-two, or it could be like thirty-five chapters long. Anything's possible...

Anyway, please, comment, vote and enjoy!

——

I don't know what to do.

Do I just confront him and ask what that was about?

Do I leave and don't give him a chance to lie?

My decision is made for me when Noah turns around, still on the phone. A look of horror crosses his face as he sees me. ''I gotta go,'' He says to the phone.

He hangs up, not taking his eyes off me. He's searching my eyes for something, anything to give out what I've heard.

I snap out of my shock and turn around, walking away.

I don't need this in my life.

''Snow, wait.'' Noah immediately goes after me, taking my arm and turning me around.

''Let me explain,'' He says and I scoff, not looking at him.

''There's nothing to explain, Noah.'' I finally look at him, ''I get it.''

''No, you don't. I need to explain what you've heard. It's not what you think.''

I snatch my arm back, ''It's not? So, you were not going to lie to me and tell me that you couldn't go out with me tonight? You were not meeting someone behind my back?''

Noah runs a hand trough his hair, and his silence answers my question. ''Unbelievable,'' I mumble and start to walk away again.

A strong arm grabs my waist and covers my mouth. I start to kick and scream, but the sound is muffled by someone's hand.

He opens the janitor's closet and gets us both inside. He releases me and I break away from his hold, suddenly more furious than hurt.

''What the hell do you think you're doing?''

I can barely see him because of the dim lighting, but I see his face, and I refuse to think his expression is apologetic.

''Snow, please, let me explain.'' Noah pleads and I cross my arms and sit on one of the buckets that's turned upside-down. He doesn't react to my stubborn behavior. Noah just sits on the floor and leans against the wall, but the room is small and he's still too close to me. His long legs are in front of him and he puts his elbows on his knees.

''I'm listening.'' I say impatiently.

He sighs, ''What you heard is not what you think you did. The person I was talking on the phone with is not some other girl I'm seeing. There's no one else, Snow.'' He pauses, waiting for me to look at him. I do, and I'm surprised to find such determination on his face. He continues,

''God, I shouldn't be telling you this,'' Noah mutters to himself and I cut in.

''Noah, I want the truth. So, if you're not ready to give it, then let me out of here.''

''Okay, I get it. But, just promise you'll at least try to understand.'' He says.

I can do that. I'm not promising I'll understand, but I'll try. I nod.

He takes a deep breath. '' I was talking to Zach on the phone. He got into some trouble with this man and he needs me to bail him out. Like always.'' Noah says and I frown. Not saying anything, I listen to him continue.

''But first, you need to know the beginning to understand the rest. Zach has a gambling problem. He likes to bet and he plays poker. The downside to that is, he's not very good. Zach has a dept to a man called Marco. Marco is rich and therefore has a lot of men working for him. He borrows money to people and is not very generous if you can't pay him back. Everyone in the gambling world knows not to mess with him. Ever,'' He says, looking me in the eyes. I nod, swallowing hard.

I'm scared of where this is going.

''But Zach, being the idiot he is, owes him a lot of money. And if he doesn't return it, he's as good as dead. Zach got into trouble with Marco's men before, and I was the one who saved his sorry ass.''

I don't know what to say. I've never heard of Zach's problem. True, I've only seen him once and Noah doesn't really talk about him. Noah continues,

''I've told you before that my grandpa was the one who taught me to play poker. Lucky for Zach, I can actually play. Marco lets me bail Zach out, as long as I return the money to him.'' He looks at me.

I feel a lump in my throat. That doesn't seem fair. I don't have any siblings, and probably don't get it. But, anyway, it doesn't seem right to me.

''And now, the idiot screwed up again, and I need to step in. Again. Snow, what you heard is not what you think. Zach was telling me that he needed me to play again and win back the money he lost. And I have to. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but it's safer if you don't know. I still feel like I shouldn't have told you. Marco's men can't have anything on me. And right now, you're my weak spot. If I screw up, I'm as good as dead, too. And I do not intend to bring you down with me.''

I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes. This isn't fair. ''You don't have to do this,'' I say, almost pleading. I get off the bucket I'm sitting on and kneel in front of Noah. ''You don't have to clean his mess up for him.''

He gives me a sad smile and touches my cheek, ''He's my brother, Snow.''

I close my eyes, not able to keep the tears locked away anymore.

''But, what if you actually lose? What if you aren't able to pay Marco off? What will exactly happen to you?'' I ask, afraid of the answer.

''Don't think like that, Snow. That's not going to happen.'' He says.

Oh, God. It's worse than I thought.

Suddenly, an idea comes to my mind. ''What if you told him you wanted out? Both of you. Can you tell him that you and Zach don't want to do this anymore?''

''It's not that simple.''

A tear falls from my eyes. This is so unfair. I look down at the floor and Noah wraps his arms around me and brings me to his chest. ''Don't worry, Snow.''

I hug him back. ''I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't want to lose you,'' I say and he holds me tighter.

''You won't,'' He replies.

Why do I feel like it's not up to him?

''Who else knows about this?'' I ask. ''About Zach's problem, I mean.''

''Alex,'' He answers and I look up at him, surprised.

''Alex? As in, Anna's boyfriend Alex?'' Honestly, I'm a little hurt Alex knew this before I did.

Noah sighs, ''Yeah. He was there when Zach came to me once, asking for help. I told him not to tell anyone. Especially you or Anna. Turns out he's a pretty decent guy.''

I nod. I know Alex and Noah hung out a few times, but I didn't know they were that good of friends.

Suddenly, a thought comes to my mind. ''Earlier, when you talked on the phone. You said that he shouldn't let anyone see him. Especially not 'her'. Who were you talking about?'' I ask, turning to look at him.

He sighs, ''My Mom. She knows Zach has a problem, but she thinks he's getting over it. I can't bring myself to tell her that he's not. It would destroy her. So, I try to fix it the only way I can.''

I feel bad for their mother. She deserves to know what's going on in her son's life.

''Are you nervous about tonight? Do you think you'll win?'' I say, hoping that he'll somehow give up.

He laughs and kisses my forehead. ''I don't think. I know I will win.''

''This is so unfair,'' I say, burying my head into his shirt. He takes my face gently in his hands and makes me look him in the eyes. ''Snow, don't worry, okay? I will be fine, and I won't let them hurt you. I'd rather die than let them do something to you.''

That's what I'm worried about.

I nod and close my eyes. Noah brings his lips to mine and kisses me. He kisses my tears away and pulls me into his lap. I put my hands on his chest and enjoy his warmth. I push the negative thoughts out of my mind as I pull him closer. Noah's hands on my waist make electricity rummage trough me and I put my hands in his hair.

When we break apart, we're both breathing heavily. He puts his forehead against mine and closes his eyes. My heart is beating so loudly I'm sure he can hear it, too.

''I love you,'' I say, not able to hold it in anymore.

''I don't blame you.'' He laughs and I hit his chest lightly.

He takes my face in his hands and kisses me softly. The look in his eyes makes me feel all tingly inside. His lips turn into a smile as he says,

''I love you, too.''

——

They said the 'l' word. lol.

So? What do you think?

Please tell me your opinion and if you like it, vote.

PLEASE READ THIS:

Okay, I need to say something... As adorable as I find your impatience, I need you to understand me. I have to wait until the chapter has a number of votes I'm at least satisfied with to publish a new one. I think I update very frequently (as opposed to most who update weekly), so why is a few days gonna hurt?

But, think of it like this; when I update depends on you. If you vote more and tell me what I need to fix, my story will be better and my updates will be faster.

Also, I need you to know that I'm grateful for EVERY ONE of your votes. I really am.

Stay awesome!

Thank you,

Love, muah. ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 65 29
𝒐𝒖𝒓 [ 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 ] 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌 ➼ She's tired of it―she's tired of it all. Watching from behind. Sneaking peaks, never being able to say: I love...
21.1K 94 32
Vinnie becomes tik tok famous and make new friends. But what happens when he falls in love with one of his friends? 😳😬 Please read to find out and...
248 27 22
In the silent world of a reserved boy, a cheerful, famous girl shone like an unreachable star. His unspoken love for her was a beautiful dream, yet u...
170K 5.8K 27
Noah Rollins, your typical all American good looking man and my long time best friend. He had it all the hockey career, the perfect girlfriend and...