Unrequited love

By sol1tary

Love. As 'beautiful' as love can be it hurts and bleeds. If you're unlucky you may even love the very person... More

𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐒
One | Katie
Two | Katie
Three | Katie
Four | Colten
Five | Brylan
Six | Katie
Seven | Katie
Eight | Brylan
Nine | Katie
Ten | Colten
Eleven | Lilah
Twelve | Alex
Thirteen | Brylan
Fourteen | Damon
Fifteen | Katie
Sixteen | Noah
Seventeen | Katie
Eighteen | Katie
Nineteen | Colten
Twenty | Brylan
Twenty one | Katie
Twenty two | Lilah
Twenty three | Colten
Twenty four | Lilah
Twenty five | Alex
Twenty-six | Damon
Twenty-seven | Katie
Twenty eight | Noah
Twenty-nine | Katie
Thirty | Katie
Thirty-One | Brylan
Thirty-two | Alex
Thirty-three | Katie
Thirty-four | Brylan
Thirty-five | Colten
Thirty six | Lilah
Thirty eight | Colten
Thirthy-nine | Brylan
Forty | Alex
Forty-one | Lilah
Forty-two | Katie
Fourty-Three | Katie
Forty-four | Alex
Fourty-five | Damon
Forty-six | Noah
Fourty-seven | Katie
Forty-Eight | Brylan
𝑺𝑷𝑬𝑪𝑰𝑨𝑳 || Damon
Forty-nine | Lilah
Fifty | Katie
Fifty-one | Lilah
Fifty-two | Brylan
Fifty-three | Colten
Fifty-four | Alex
Fifty-five | Colton
Fifty-six | Colton
Fifty-seven | Brylan
Fifty-eight | Lilah
Fifty-nine | Alex
Sixty | Colten
Sixty-one | Colton
Sixty-two | Lilah
Sixty-three | Brylan
Sixty four || Katie
Sixty-five || Damon
Sixty-six || Alex
Sixty-seven || Damon
Sixty-eight | Lilah
Sixty-nine | Colton
Seventy || Lilah
Seventy-one || Damon
Seventy-two || Lilah
Seventy-three || Katie
𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗘 || 𝗘𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗕𝗢𝗢𝗞

Thirty seven | Damon

21.3K 308 374
By sol1tary

'Lilah got into a fight with Jasmine!!' I read the text Jacob sent to the group chat. Frowning I roll my eyes. The one time I ditch school, interesting shit actually happens.

'Yea. I heard my name being said and I left so fast.' Colton responds and his message doesn't seem so cheery which makes me laugh. That guy goes through so much girl drama just because he decided to take one seriously. It makes me worry about Brylan, hopefully when she falls madly in love with me we won't be going through that shit.

First I got to get her to stop hating me which is why I'm not at school. She's got a game in the next town over which is a three hour drive. Usually it would be fine but it starts at 11am and I wanted to get there and figure out her team uniform so I could buy her Jersey, before then I had to leave at 6am. Driving that early wasn't that fun but at least it was worth it.

Would she appreciate me being there? Probably not but it's baby steps. One day she'll realize that I'm not all too bad and I just fucked up once. I've learned my lesson and I won't do it again and I just need to show her that. Even just being friends would be fine with me, I just don't want her to actually hate me.

Putting my phone in my pocket I don't bother answering the message. As curious as I am about Lilah and Jasmine, my priority is on the sales lady in front of me.

'I just want a Coke please...and nuggets,' I point and she hands me both things after pay.

Trying to juggle the food and the stupid orange flowers I bought, I make my way into the Stadium before trying to find an empty seat. Before I sit down I place the food down so I can put the flowers on my lap.

Keeping my head on the court I move my legs every couple of seconds for people to walk past me. Its pretty cramped and I'm tall so I have to physically move myself for others to get past. It might've been easier if I sat in the isle seat.

'Here to see your girlfriend?' I move my legs for the hundredth time only to realize a girl is speaking to me.

'Um...no just a friend,' I hesitate to answer as she sits down directly next to me.

'Same...well, kind of—oh you're here for Brylan?' She looks at my Jersey before looking over at the vollyball court and pointing directly at her. I had been trying to find her for five minutes and she spotted her easily. 'I'm here for my sister actually... over there she's the blonde one talking to Brylan,'

'Yeah?' I look over at Brylan and the girls sister before looking back at the girl. 'You look really similar,'

'She's my twin...she's the smarter and sportier one,' she rolls her eyes sarcastically which makes me laugh, 'I'm more fun than she is though, which in my books is better.' She's also prettier, which in my book acts as two wins and not just the one.

Smiling I turn back to Brylan and fixate myself onto her. She hasn't noticed me here and I hope she doesn't since I dont want to distract her. Maybe she prefers having no one she knows in the audience and I'd like to see her play when she doesnt know I'm here. I've never gone to a girls game since it's usually them coming to mine, so I don't really know how to do it. Do I cheer or no? Do I go over there or do I stay put?

The game soon starts and I try to figure out how the sport plays. If I could count the amount of times they stepped outside the court, I'd be rich.

'Are they allowed to do that?' I whisper to the girl besides me and she gives me a confused look. 'They keep going outside the court, I mean.'

''Yea they can do that...under certain rules of course,' she laughs, 'have you not been to a game before?'

'No, we only became...friends...a couple days ago,' I take a sip from my coke. I'd rather say we're friends then admit that I'm practically stalking her.

'You keep straining the word friends,' she scoffs, 'do you mean a special kind of friend? Because my mind is starting to wonder with your choice of words,'

'No.' I loudly whisper before hitting her shoulder which makes her laugh under her breath before she takes her cup to drink whatever drink she ordered. 'But if I'm honest with you...I wish we where that type of 'friends"

She almost chokes on her drink. 'Oh so is she your crush? No. She is, for sure. I can tell by the fact that you're wearing her Jersey number and holding flowers,'

'Okay I'm going to be honest since you seem normal enough,' I give in, 'she doesn't know I'm here and she most likely doesn't want me to be here. I insulted something important to her so I want her to see that I'm not actually a dick,'

'She doesn't know you're here?' She blinks at me, 'well she's staring at you so I think she does now.'

Quickly looking away from the girl I try to find Brylan before spotting her. She's staring right at me yet she shockingly isn't angry. Or at least doesn't look angry. I don't remember hearing a half time bell so I mustn't have been listening since they're all at the bench.

'The halftime was so short,' I make a comment.

'Because it's not halfway through, they get a five minute interval between each game,' she tries to explain to me which only makes me realize how little I actually know about any sport besides basketball and rugby. 'There's three games...or two since it's best to three and right now our team is losing but it's only the first game so it's okay,'

'Jeez five minutes is so short,' I mumble. If halftime in basketball was only five minutes I'd be exhausted during the second half.

'What sport do you play?' She raises her eyebrows, 'you seem to be getting the volleyball rules confused with different sports—is it basketball? You seem really tall just by sitting down,'

'No I do gymnastics.' I drink from my cup whilst giving her a serious look and she tries to hide her shock which makes me shake my head. I cannot help but smile at the fact that she genuinely believed me.

Rolling her eyes she sighs in relief, 'I was so confused since you're not built like a gymnast so I couldn't tell if you where fucking with me or not,'

Nodding in an attempt to end the conversation I want to pay attention to Brylan. She's the reason why I drive three hours at 6am so I kind of want to see if she's good.

Watching as shes passed the ball from a teammate I'm assuming she's serving and I almost flinch when she hits the ball. She does it so aggressively but it goes fast over the net at the opposite team doesn't catch it in time. They give eachother confused looks and I'm even confused myself since she ddint serve like that before. All her hits seem a lot more aggressive but at least the opposing team I struggling to get it back over the net.

The game lasts another twenty minutes and their team is winning. It must've been the adrenalin because they're now ahead by the a shit tone of points.

When, what I consider the halftime bell, goes off I grab the nuggets and wave off the random girl and head down to the boarder which sesperates the watchers and the players. We don't have a separation border at our school but I get why they'd have one at this volleyball stadium. If I wore shorts that small and a shirt that tight I'd want a boarder too. Even though you could jump it, it would require arm strength since it goes halfway up my stomach. But im 6'4 so I don't know if its harder to jump if you're shorter.

'Brylan!' I whisper loudly as I lean over the border. It's pretty close to where the bench her team is sitting on. Maybe a meter or two away, so they all look at me. 'You're doing so good! Those serves was fucking amazing,'

'Thanks.' She looks at me without a hint of enthusiasm, 'I imagined the ball was your head...it really helped,'

Ignoring the hateful comment I glance at her teammates who are gawking at me. It would be nice if Brylan look at me with those eyes for once. Giving them a half smile they look at eachother and communicate with their eyes. I'll never understand how girls do that, I need actual words to have a conversation with someone.

'Don't give my teammates that smile...the athlete smile with those flashy teeth,' she looks at the food I'm holding out to her as if it's a peace offering. I bought them for her anyways so she may as well chug a couple down before the game starts again. 'How do I know you didn't drug these?'

'Just eat them,' one of her friends on the team fists Brylans side softly. 'Are you two a thing? Because he's so cute and if you're not then-,'

'Absolutely not,' she cuts her off, 'if you get with him then I'll be forced to see him at every game and I would actually kill myself,'

'Ouch Bry,' I softly nod. 'I thought me being here helped your serves,'

Hearing the whistle from the coach she calls for them so she puts down the nuggets before correcting me. 'Brylan not Bry. And please stop what you're doing. It's getting annoying.'

Turning around to head back to my seat I feel upset that I barely got to talk to her. I also assumed she would go off on me for coming but she seemed pretty calm. Almost like she expected it which disappoints me, I want to be mysterious and unexpected.

'She really doesn't seem excited to see you,' the girl reminds me as I sit down next to her again. I hadn't realized that she had been watching. 'It was a little obvious since my sister and the rest of her team where mind fucking you whilst she was planning how she was going to slash your throat. What did you do that was that bad,'

Laughing at her comment she's not wrong. She was eyeing out how she would cut up my limbs and I could tell. 'Since you're a girl and all that...how do I make her like me? I'm trying real hard and it's very discouraging,' I refer to the flowers on my lap.

'I dont think there's anything you can do man...first of all youre hot as fuck and you're sitting here in her Jersey holding flowers for her.' She looks at the flowers, 'I'm assuming you don't live here since this is an away game so you probably came like hours to even see her too—you're almost perfect so I dont understand why she hates you. All I can come up with is that you're just not her type or you did something so unforgivable.'

'Thanks for the ego boost,' I lean forward in frustration. If I have to keep following her to her games like a lost puppy I will.

'What did you even do to her?' She asks curiously, 'you seem decent enough but she seems pissed,'

'I insulted her feelings for someone. In all honesty I dont know if that's all I did because she seems angrier every time she sees me,' I mumble. 'I wish I spoke to her sooner, that way I might've had a better chance,'

'Sooner?' She raises her eyebrow.

'She's my sisters childhood best friend.' I sit up and she immediately starts laughing which catches me off guard. I didn't really say anything funny.

'Oh my god! That makes so much sense now,' she looks at me like she found the cure to cancer, 'she might be upset because of the insult but maybe she just doesn't want to get with her best friends brother? I have a guy friend who im close with and I'd be weirded out if he got with my sister...I'd be a little pissed off too since she always gets everything and her having my best friend would kill me since its the one thing that I have and she doesn't,'

'Well Brylan did tell me how my sister was used to get to me or something so I know that's a reason. Well, at least she keeps saying it would hurt my sister so I assume that's why,' I purse my lips. 'I really like Brylan and I wish my sister could understand that she would mean no harm if she was with me,'

'Try talking to your sister about it,' she suggests and I dont give a response. I considered talking to her about it countless times. The issue is I've noticed Brylan do her best for Katie not to find out and if I told her then Brylan might never talk to me again. She already ignores me but at least we do somewhat communicating.

I partly wish that she was never friends with Katie in the first place but I know I wouldn't have noticed Brylan if that was the case. She'd be a random junior from my school that I only ever saw once or even twice in the hallways. Otherwise I wouldn't even know anything about her and I can't help but think about how many people I missed out on for that very reason.

It leads me to think about moving on and trying to talk to someone else more attainable. Then again, I always compare them to Brylan and she's always the better option. I know comparing isn't good but its a subconscious thing and I cant help it anymore.

Watching the rest of the game I get invested quickly. Its so quick paced and requires you to think on the spot. You dont have any time to think about where to aim or who to pass it to since you have three seconds before the ball hits the ground. I would struggle if I where to play volleyball since I need time to think before doing anything.

Looking at the scoreboard then at the timer I count down in my head and the bell goes off at the same time. Our team won by three points and I cheer for them. Well, I mainly cheer for Brylan.

Exiting the seating erea with the girl I realize that I don't actually know her name.

'I'm Damon by the way,' I look down at her. I tend to have to do that whenever I talk to anyone at all.

'I'm Clover but most people call me Clo or Chloe,' she tries to explain but she's interrupted by the sound of the volleyball teams exiting from the doors. Our team is high-fiving eachother whilst the other rolls their eyes at the noise their making. But I know they're just pissed that they didn't win.

Me and Clover waste no time to get to them. Watching Clover high-five her sister, I swing my arm around Brylans shoulder. She shoves it off. Okay.

'You're friends with the cute boy?' Clovers sister looks over at me as if I'm not here.

'Not cute. Don't feel that ego of him.' Brylan corrects her but I'm too busy focusing on her hand that she places on my chest when she speaks to the two.

'Very cute,' Clovers sister nudges Brylan. 'I'm Cindy which is short for Cinderella,'

'It'd actually short for Lucinda,' Clover rolls her eyes, 'she keeps telling people that she's called Cinderella for no good reason.'

'It's really funny actually,' Brylan laughs which makes me look down at her. I haven't actually heard her laugh in a while, I'm not sure how that makes me feel now that I think about it.

'You should laugh more,' I say which makes her look up at me. 'It sounds nice,'

'You're just not funny so I don't laugh at anything you say,' She says as she offers me a nugget which suprises me but I take it. I don't like deep fried foods but I take it anyways since she offered.

She seems more and more annoyed at me everytime I see her but she also relaxes more. Or maybe she's just in a good mood since her team won the game.

'Give Damon a chance Brylan,' Clover backs me up as she pushes the doors open so we can make our way to the busses. Agreeing with her Brylan looks over at her and stays quiet.

'Damon how did you get here?' Cindy looks at me so I explain how I drove and her eyes light up, 'great! Brylan you should go with him,'

'She can do that?' I raise my eyebrows curiously. I assumed they all had to take the buss back together to keep everyone together.

'As long as she checks out with the teacher, she can since its legally the end of the school day and she can drive,' Clovers smiles which makes Brylan frown.

'No thanks.' Brylan denies but I grab her waist playfully so she cant escape me. 'Let go right now.'

'I'll go and mark off for you,' Clover and Cindy look at each other and I give her a thumbs up. Sliding out of my hands the moment I do, she escapes and I stand there awkwardly. The last thing I'm going to do is chase her and drag her to my car. Turning around, I take it as it is. I wouldn't call this visit a waste, she spoke to me. It doesn't sound all that much but to me it's something.

Reaching into my back pocket to grab my carkeys I feel something brush my arm so I look down. Seeing her there I open my mouth to question her but she interrupts me before I can talk.

'I was bribed by Clo. Don't get cocky.' She explains before I can ask anything, 'I dont know why she did that though since she obviously likes you,'

'I'm sorry?' I crease my eyebrows at her last statement. I had assumed we where getting along on a platonic level which is why I continued the conversation. Usually I can tell if a girl likes me and I shut down the conversation immediately. They don't act like Clover did, since most of the time they're extremely suggestive with everything they do.

'Did she tell you?' I relax since I doubt she would tell Brylan since Clover's aware that I like her.

'No but I'm certain that she does...it's so obvious since she's a lot like me,' she holds her duffle bag over her shoulder. I hadn't noticed that she was holding it before but she was dragging it which might've been why I didn't realize. 'She looks at you the exact same way I look at Alex and she acts the same way too. To want someone so badly but know you cant do anything about it,'

'Must be a universal feeling.' I keep my eyes on her and she notices and quickly looks away.

'What are those?' She changes the subject as she opens the car door.

Watching her toss her duffle bag in the backseat she surprisingly hops in the passenger seat. I had expected her to sit in the backseat so she didnt have to talk to me but I don't comment on it in case she changes her mind.

Hopping into the drivers seat I buckle my seat belt. 'They're flowers,' I give them to her and she takes them after buckling her own. 'I bought them for you—I'm not sure if it changed but I remember your favorite colour being orange,'

Taking them from my hands my fingers brush against hers and I almost drop the flowers. Pulling away, I watch as she brings them to her nose so she can smell it. For a second I see a glimmer of excitement but it disappears when she realizes I'm watching her.

Staring at her for a bit longer I look away and start the car as I take a mental note to buy her more flowers. The look she had when she took them from me only lasted a few seconds but I'd kill to see it again.

'Why'd you start playing volleyball?' I back up the car and exit the parking lot. I'm curious on if she has a reasoning like me or she was just bored one day. She's really good and I want to know what drives her to continue being good.

'My parents—' she hesitates but continues when she looks down at the flowers again. 'My parents aren't the best so I started a couple years ago so they could be proud that I was good at something,'

'You're a really good kid,' I try to reassure her, 'it doesn't matter if your parents can see it or not,'

'I know...but I just want to reach their expectations for once,' she picks one of the flower petals off. 'It's so rare that I do, so them praising me whenever I win anything lifts mood for a whole week.'

'I used to do phycology in sophomore year before I dropped it but I learned that a lot of parents are like that due to trauma,' I try to tell her that it's not her fault. 'Their parents were like that and so on...its not because of you its because of them and you're doing so good Brylan,'

'I know...but like I feel like I'm just so unlucky,' she rambles anyways, 'I mean seriously. My parents think I amount to nothing...my schoolwork has been getting harder and to me school is never hard- My crush loves my best friend and my best friends brother loves me and if my best friend found out I could lose her- oh and don't forget about the fucking party incident that's had me fucked up for a fucking year.'

'What party incident?' I hesitate to ask in case she might start crying. I'm not sure what I did but me giving her flowers seemed to make her so emotionally vulnerable to the point that's she's telling me of all the people in her life.

'Yea the fucking party. And offense but I hate jocks. They're so entitled and if your fucking soccer friend didnt drug me then-,' she goes off but almost immediately shuts herself up.

Stunned I look over to her but she keeps quiet and keeps her eyes on the road. 'Brylan what do you mean 'drug you."

Staying silent I find a place to pull over so I'm not multitasking. I dont want to hear and accidentally swerve. 'What do you mean drug you?'

'I don't know why I said that.' She brushes her braid behind her ear. 'Its not actually true-,'

'No Brylan I'm not letting this go.' I ignore the fact that she's obviously lying to me. I never point out anything she does since its obvious why she's doing them. 'I will not drive anywhere until you at least give me a name or some context because you said I know this person.'

'When I was fifteen I went to Kourtneys 16th and she's popular so everyone was there...even other people from other schools,' she plays with her hands before deciding to pick at the flowers instead. 'I know her because she's sisters with someone on my volleyball team and she always brings us cookies.'

I remember going to that party since Kourtneys house is huge and so was the amount of guests there. It was insane and everyone talked about it for a week after. People who weren't invited or didn't crash it  immediately tried it with Kourtney in hopes they'd get invited to the next one.

'I had just turned fifteen and I didn't know the basics of parties since I wasnt friends with that group of people. So when one of the 'cool' juniors offered me a drink I got excited...I thought he would be my cool fantasy boy.' She pauses for a few seconds and I keep quiet so I don't scare her into not talking anymore.

'I was pretty out of it after a couple sips but I wasnt knocked out so I was somewhat aware of what he was doing when he dragged me into am empty room... he didn't actually put it in me...you know- in case i was virgin so I couldn't use the recent penetration as proof if I tried to report him...but he used...other...' her voice cracks as she touches her mouth which finishes the sentence for me.

'What's his name.' I try my hardest to keep myself calm.

'No i dont-,' she shoots her head over to me but I keep adamant. Im not going to ignore it this time because I seriously don't mind sitting in this car until she gives me his name.

'I said. What's his name.' I narrow my eyes with a threatening glare. I don't mean to scare her but I will do anything for that fucking name. 'I promise I won't do anything.'

'Okay but you have to fucking swear Damon.' She reaches her pinkie out. 'I'm not kidding...you cant tell anyone or talk to him about it because the only one who knows is Alex. If you do then I seriously won't talk to you...like no exceptions this time.'

Reaching my hand out I fold my pinkie around hers. I don't do 'pinkie promises' but if it means that she'll tell me then I'm willing to hold her pinkie.

'Ivers.' She says quickly but I give her a confused looks so she repeats herself. 'Jordan Ivers.'

Feeling my face drop I stay quiet because I feel so shitty. She wasn't joking when she said I knew him becuase I had hungout with him not too long ago.

We snuck into a bar and they surprisingly didnt card us and it's an inside joke for us. I always told everyone about it and the amount of times I've talked about how amazing he is in front of her is insane. She probably felt so shitty about me boasting about his character when he's actually a peice of walking shit.

Usually when people brought him up I'd laugh and talk about how funny he is, but all I can think about is how funny he'll look when I bust his face in.

'You cant do anything Damon. I'm serious.' She snaps me back into reality. It must've been obvious what I was thinking about. 'You promise?'

'I promise I won't lay a finger on him.' I lie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 2 24
"𝑲𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒎𝒆 𝒐𝒓 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆." 𝑶𝒏𝒚𝒙 𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒆 𝑱𝒐𝒉𝒏𝒔𝒐𝒏 doesn't know what it's like to have someone love her. She wants to f...
484 7 35
𝙶𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚊𝚗: 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚞𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚌𝚔 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚠𝚘𝚗 𝚠𝚘�...
44.1K 791 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...