Upper Ten Thousand// Anthony...

By stephie177

Upper Ten Thousand Heyerism meant to imply the Ton. More

One
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight

eleven

2.7K 90 4
By stephie177

Lady Danbury was right. All it took was for Daphne and the duke to make their plea to Her Majesty herself and they were able to secure their marriage license.

I smile at Daphne as I manage to track her down at the wedding breakfast. "It was such a beautiful wedding, Daph. Congratulations."

Daphne grabs my hands in hers. "Thank you, Mercy. For everything."

I look at her curiously. "Everything?"

"For being my very closest friend since you moved to London. I cannot imagine we will not be spending our mornings together in the drawing room. Talking out our suitors and all of our plans for the future," Daphne tells me.

"You may be moving into Clyvedon, but you will still make trips back into town," I assure her. "You will simply have to come round to Lady Danbury's drawing room."

Daphne wraps me into a hug. "I will miss you."

"I will miss you more," I assure.

I stand with Val. I think Daphne's wedding has been the only social event he has been excited for this season. And I think it is only because he knows there will be exquisite food and cake.

"I always knew Daphne would marry before you," Val says. I give him a look. "I'm joking... Mostly."

"And I have comfort in knowing I will marry before you," I tell him.

"That I do not doubt," Val assures me. "You may even be able to secure yourself a prince now that Daphne has wed the duke."

"Lady Danbury told me the same thing," I tell him. "She thinks that I would make a marvelous princess." I laugh. "I think she simply wants me to marry him because Daphne did not."

"You don't want to marry a prince?" Val asks.

I shake my head. "I thought about it but no. I would never be able to live anywhere other than London or Scotland. You know that."

"Too bad," Val says. "I was hoping to move into your castle." He looks over my shoulder. "Oh no."

Before I can say anything, Val is gone, and Lady Danbury is beside me.

"Lady Danbury," I greet.

"Lady Mercy. To see you without a Bridgerton by your side, a rare sight indeed," Lady Danbury remarks.

I laugh. "Well, I do think they are all rather busy seeing as how this is Daphne's wedding breakfast."

"Yes," Lady Danbury says. "But I do see a certain Mr Bridgerton looking your way."

I turn and see Benedict looking at me. I smile slightly.

"I... We are friends, Lady Danbury," I tell her.

Lady Danbury nods. "I see. And your friendship also extends to Lord Bridgerton."

"I think my friendship extends to the whole Bridgerton family," I tell her.

"I am sure," Lady Bridgerton says. "Though I do think it extends closer to some than others."

Eloise walks over towards us. "Lady Danbury you are Lady Whistledown." I look at her in shock. "Yes, you certainly enjoy spreading secrets, do you not?"

"Dear child, have you lost your wits? Everyone enjoys secrets. Otherwise, why would Lady Whistledown's paper be so successful? I am flattered by your accusation, but it is simply not true. Though, when you unmask the writer, do let me know," Lady Danbury tells her. She turns to me. "And I will see you at home."

"I see we are playing detective now Eloise. Thought I thought you would know better than to go around accusing people in public. It will not get you anywhere," I tease.

I head over to where Benedict is. "You are not going to believe what your sister just did."

"Which sister?" Benedict questions.

"Eloise," I tell him.

Benedict laughs. "This should be good."

"She just accused Lady Danbury of being Lady Whistledown," I inform him.

"Well, is she?" Benedict asks.

I chuckle as I shake my head. "Heavens no. Lady Danbury tells the world how she feels. She would never write about it in some scandal sheet anonymously."

Mr Granville walks over towards Benedict and I. "A most enjoyable party."

Benedict smiles. "Indeed."

Mr Granville leans into Benedict trying to keep me and anyone else from hearing their conversation. "Um, Bridgerton... Um... The other night..."

"What happened the other night? I do not believe anything happened at all," Benedict tells him.

Mr Granville sighs in relief. "Ah... Very well." A woman joins us. "Ah, dearest... I believe you know Mr. Bridgerton. My wife, Mrs. Lucy Granville."

"It is a pleasure, Mr. Bridgerton," she says.

Mr Granville turns towards me. "I do not believe we have properly met."

"This is Lady Mercy Lockhart," Benedict introduces me.

Mrs Granville smiles. "You should join us at my husband's gallery sometime."

I smile. "I would..."

"Oh, I do not know about that. It was nice to see you again," Benedict tells them. He leads me away from the couple.

"That was rather rude, Benedict," I scold. "I do not think..."

Benedict interrupts me, "You do not need to be involved with Mr Granville's gallery."

I grab Benedict's hand and drag him along behind me. I lead him into the study, closing the door after us.

"Mercy..." Benedict starts.

I shake my head. "Do not start with us being alone. You are in your own home. No one is coming in here while a party is happening." I cross my arms over my chest. "But I want to know who I cannot go with you to the gallery?"

"Mercy, you know why," Benedict tells me.

"I want to hear it from you," I insist.

"Mr Granville has parties at his gallery. Parties that do not concern you," Benedict tells me.

"What kinds of parties?" I ask.

Benedict sighs as he sits on the edge of the desk. "You know I will not tell you that. You should not even be asking."

I have to stop myself from stomping my feet. "Tell me, Benedict. I want to know."

"It's not just a gallery for art..." Benedict starts.

"I have gathered that much," I remark.

Benedict makes a face. "There is alcohol and more. There are women of improper morals and men who would ruin a girl like you in a heartbeat." Benedict shakes his head. Mercy, you do not need to know of such inappropriate things."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Were you not the one to tell me about what happens at night? When I am alone?"

Benedict takes a breath. "You should not be talking about such things."

I step closer to him. "You were the one who started it. You were the one who told me."

"After you begged," Benedict states.

"I did not beg," I insist.

Benedict stands up straighter. I see the corner of his mouth turn up. "Yes, you did."

I cross my hands over my chest. "No, I did not."

Benedict laughs as he manages to step even closer to me. "I think you did."

"I was curious," I concede.

"To curious for your own good," Benedict tells me.

I step closer to Benedict, so we are mere centimeters apart. Benedict places his hand on my cheek and my breath hitches in my throat. Even though it is a simple gesture I have never had a man touch me before. Benedict leans in his face centimeters from my own as he places his hand on my waist.

"Benedict?"

I push myself away from Benedict. Anthony is standing in the doorway.

"Mercy?" Anthony looks angry. "We will talk about this later. They are bringing the carriages around."

We all follow behind Daphne as she leaves the house.

"Perhaps I can come with you. I've always wanted to live in a castle," Gregory tells her.

"If Daphne is going to take anyone with her, Gregory, it will be me," Hyacinth insists.

"The two of you are staying here until our dear sister allows us a visit," Colin tells them. He pulls Daphne into a hug.

"You mean if she allows us a visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy the peace and quiet," Benedict says as he hugs his sister.

"I am sure she will write," I say.

Daphne pulls me into a hug. "I am going to miss all of you terribly."

"Even me?" Anthony asks.

"Even you," Daphne assures.

Anthony kisses his sister on the cheek.

Daphne turns to Eloise. "I have a present for you."

I stand off to the side with Benedict. Anthony gives us a look and Benedict moves away slightly.

After Daphne says goodbye to Eloise her mother pulls her into a hug. Daphne takes one last look at her old home before getting into the carriage followed by her husband. It's sad but it is a part of life. Daphne has found a husband that she loves, and I can only hope to do the same.

Everyone starts to head back into the Bridgerton house. Benedict and I included until Anthony stops us.

"I'd like a word with you two," Anthony tells us.

"Brother..." Benedict starts.

"Now," Anthony states.

Benedict and I stand in front of Anthony in the study.

"It was not what it looked like, Brother," Benedict insists.

"Not what it looked like? You and Mercy were alone in the study very close to one another. You are lucky it was I who found you. You are lucky it was not Lord Lockhart. Otherwise, you would be heading for a duel," Anthony insists.

"We did not even kiss," Benedict tells him.

"Unlike you, my lord, my brother would never duel," I tell him.

"Mercy..." Anthony starts.

"No. You did not see what you thought you did. You are overreacting," I tell him.

Anthony shakes his head. "It does not matter, Mercy. Benedict should have been the one to put an end to it before it even started," Anthony states. "You two are friends. I know that. But you need to be careful. This could have ruined both of you. Both of our families. I trust that it will not happen again."

"Surely not my lord," I tell him.

I sit in my room unable to sleep after what happened today. I sigh as I realise I have left my book in the drawing room. I head out into the hall to go and get it. I stop when I see Dora walking towards me.

"Is everything alright, Miss?" Dora asks.

I nod my head. "Yes. I was just going to retrieve my book. What are you doing up at this hour?"

"I was coming to find you, Miss," Dora tells me.

"Whatever for?" I question.

"Lord Bridgerton is here again," Dora tells me. I sigh. "I can tell him you are asleep or that you do not wish to see him."

"No." I shake my head. "No. It is fine. Have him wait in the study again. And make sure he does not make a noise."

"Yes, Miss," Dora says as she leaves.

I take a deep breath as I walk into the study. It takes everything in me to not start shouting. Anthony stands to greet me.

"Mercy," Anthony starts.

"Why will you not leave me alone?" I question.

"You are angry. I know," Anthony starts.

"I am beyond angry with you, Lord Bridgerton," I tell him. I can see Anthony fighting not to roll his eyes. "I am not a little kid anymore, Anthony."

"I know you are not and that is the problem, Mercy," Anthony tells me.

"You are not my brother," I state.

"No, I am not," Anthony states.

"You do not get to tell me what to do," I tell him.

"You were alone with Benedict," Anthony reminds me.

I scoff. "And you are the one here with me now. In a study in the middle of the night while I am in chemise and a dressing gown."

I can see Anthony trying his hardest to not look down at my appearance. "If your brother saw what I saw you and Benedict would be getting married. Is that what you want?"

"Would that be so bad?" I question. "To marry someone as kind and caring as Benedict?"

"You are too young," Anthony states.

"You have no say," I remind him. "I could accept a proposal tomorrow if I so desired."

Anthony shakes his head. "We both know you wouldn't."

I take a breath. "Did you come here to argue with me?"

"No," Anthony tells me. "I came here to make sure that you stay away from Benedict."

I laugh. "No. I will not."

"You two are going to wind up in a compromising position," Anthony warns. "And next time it may not be me who finds you."

"And Lady Danbury could walk through the door right now and it could be me and you headed to the altar," I argue. "I will not stop spending time with your brother simply because you want me to."

"I am looking out for you," Anthony insists.

"I have had enough." I cross my arms over my chest. "I think you should go, Anthony."

Anthony nods. "Of course. Good night, Lady Mercy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 1K 11
Anthony Bridgerton based One Shots
82.8K 2.9K 11
{CURRENTLY REWRITING} โ–ฌโ–ฌ GUNS AND ROSES. โ people do understand the language of the heart, you know, even if the head does not always comprehend it...
46.4K 1.6K 26
หšโ‚Šยท อŸอŸอžอžโžณโฅ๐๐„๐–๐ˆ๐“๐‚๐‡๐„๐ƒ ๐€๐ง๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ ๐ž๐ซ๐ญ๐จ๐ง ๐…๐š๐ง๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ | ๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐Ž๐ง๐ž โNaomi Sharma is it?โž
169K 3.7K 21
A Bแด‡ษดแด‡แด…ษชแด„แด› Bส€ษชแด…ษขแด‡ส€แด›แดษด Sแด›แดส€ส in which Elena Bennet gets caught up in a forbidden romance. โ€ผ๏ธ Does not follow the exact story lineโ€ผ๏ธ