five

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss? Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

Today is the grand picnic. Today's picnic is a social event Val decided to attend. Though he has been up and about chatting with his numerous friends about matters I do not care to know about.

Cressida Cowper and another girl walk past me. "I hear she may be courting with bumbling Berbrooke. Quite a good match for her, I rather think."

I sigh as I turn to my brother. "I am going to see Daphne."

Val nods. "Do I need to chaperone you?"

"I think I can manage the ten-yard trip," I assure him.

I walk over towards the Bridgerton family. "Good afternoon."

Everyone smiles and replies a "good afternoon".

I smile as I sit down next to Daphne on a blanket. "Daph."

Daphne smiles as she takes my hands in hers. "I have so much news."

"I hope it is all good," I tell her.

Daphne nods. "Mama has been invited to a private tea by Her Majesty herself."

"I wonder what for," I confess. "It must be something important."

"I cannot imagine it being anything else," Daphne tells me.

"And you and Berbrooke? Everything is done?" I ask.

"It is," Daphne tells me.

"Without any doubt you deserve more than Lord Berbrooke could ever possibly give you," I tell her. "Though I think maybe a duke could give you those things." I can see Daphne smile ever so slightly. "So is true. You and the duke are courting?"

Anthony walks over to the two of us before Daphne can answer. "I would like a word with my sister."

"Daphne and I are in the middle of a conversation, Anthony," I tell him.

Anthony makes a face when I do not move.

"Whatever you have to say you can say in front of Mercy," Daphne tells him.

Anthony sighs. "I was not aware, sister, of what Berbrooke attempted. I would have helped you. You should have told me."

"Would you have believed me? Did you only change your mind about Lord Berbrooke because another man told you the truth?" Daphne asks.

"You truly esteem me so little?" Anthony questions.

"After I apprised you of my wishes, and you proceeded to ignore them... yes, brother, I do," Daphne says before walking away.

I spot the duke walking towards her. I can tell that the duke makes Daphne happy. Happier than she ever could be if she truly were to marry Lord Berbrooke. I just hope the duke can see that Daphne makes him just as happy as he makes her.

Anthony looks at me as if waiting for me to say something.

I shake my head. "I have nothing to say."

"You, Mercy, have nothing to say?" Anthony remarks.

I shake my head again. "No. I do not. This is between you and Daphne. It is a family matter that does not concern me." I stand up. "I shall give you some time to think about your situation." I walk over to Gregory and Hyacinth. "What are you two playing?"