The Truth Behind the Veil ✔️

By rel19studios

"A girl, with so much life inside of her, a girl with such a bright future, chose death to save a man with no... More

Charaters/ Falling
Meeting JP
Insomnia
September 1st
Astronomy
Diamonds or Dust?
Dimwit
Guilt Trip
Sirius' Birthday
Restricted Section
Candonton the Great
The First Attacks
Ultimatum
I'm Ready
Birthdays
Dog Days
Back to School
Every Word
Secret's Out
Ramblings of Truth
New Years Kiss
The Order
Class of 1978
Curse Breaking
Helping Regulus Stay On Track
The Affair with Minnie
Till Forever Falls Apart
What Did I Do Wrong
Procrastination and Friendship
Xylomancy
Into My Own Hands
What Now?
Horcrux Number One
The Beginning of the End
The Curse of Slytehrin
Broken
It's True
Godmother
Christmas
This Damn War
Green
Swept Under
Harry James Potter
The Diadem
Endless Possiblities None Positive
Now He's Mortal
Capture the Flag
Veritaserum
A Dagger To My Name.
Memories
Godric's Hollow 1981
Back to the Future
Epilogue: Good Enough
Not Fully (Extra Chapter)
The End (Bonus Chapter 2)

A Spy for the Order

4.6K 131 107
By rel19studios

"Regulus Black?"

The boy looked up to see a small Hufflepuff holding out a note to him with shaky hands. A few other Slytherins at the table snickered at the young girl.

"Yes?"

She shoved the note into his hands and scurried away not sparing a glance back for the scary upperclassmen.

It was the Thursday before the Christmas holidays; aka NEWTS week. Today Regulus had Potions at ten and Astronomy later that night.

He unfurled the parchment, instantly recognizing Dumbledore's handwriting. The man was requesting to meet Regulus in his office that afternoon at four. What did the Headmaster possibly want with him?

"What does the note say?" Amycus asked, attempting to peer over Regulus' shoulder.

  Regulus hastily shoved the note into his robe pocket. "Nothing important."

  Amycus scoffed. "Pretty secretive for being unimportant."

   "I don't need to explain myself to you, Carrow." Regulus shoved his plate away, stepped over the bench and strutted with purpose out of the hall.

At four sharp, the raven-haired boy knocked on the office door. He still had no clue what Dumbledore wanted but couldn't see it ending well.

"Come in," his calm, deep voice called from inside.

Regulus had never been inside Dumbledore's office before. It was rather dark, covered with strange objects and books. A Pensive sat in the corner next to a perch that held a phoenix. What he'd give to spend a day exploring here. A large glass-stained window welcomed a kaleidoscope of colors into the room and onto the floor. Dust particles floated in the light. Regulus had never seen anything so majestic before.

"Mr. Black." Alas his gaping had to come to end and he faced the powerful, elderly wizard who'd extended the invasion.

  "Professor."

Dumbledore waved his wand and a chair appeared in front of the desk. "Please, have a seat." Regulus obliged but a bad feeling covered him with the action. He wiped his hands on his trousers, staring at Dumbledore determinedly.

"You must be wondering why I have called you here, Mr. Black."

  Regulus swallowed and nodded. "Yes, sir."

   "I've heard you left home." That had happened two years ago. Why on earth was he bringing that up now?

"Yes."

   "Would you be willing to return?"

Regulus' chest restricted painfully, his breathing becoming shallow. No, he thought. No. No.

"How do you mean?"

  The old man's eyes twinkled knowingly, a small smile twitching onto his lips. "I'm sure you've heard of the Order of the Phoenix." Although phrased as a question, it was a statement more than anything. Regulus nodded again.

"Good," Dumbledore said. He pulled a large folder from a drawer. "As you know, we have dozens of members from three of the four houses here at Hogwarts as well as some from other wizarding institutions."

What was he getting at? How did this involve Regulus? Regulus' fingers curled into his palms, instantly wishing to escape.

The Headmaster's gaze never stopped piercing into the seventeen-year-old boy. "But," he continued, his knowing smile stretching, "what we lack... is a spy."

Regulus' life crashed onto the floor. This couldn't be happening. Dumbledore wanted him to go back, to play the part of loyal Death-Eater while reporting everything back to him. He couldn't do that. Could he?

"A-A spy sir?"

   He nodded. "You catch on quick Regulus."

   Regulus hated the way his name rolled off of the Headmaster's tongue. "You want me to be the spy."

  "Correct."

  Anger pulsed through his veins. There had to be another option.

"There is no other Slytherin who I trust enough to do this task." Dumbledore was a Legilimence, of course he was able to see inside Regulus' mind.

"You expect me to pretend to betray my friends for the greater-good."

   "Precisely."

His jaw clenched painfully along with his fists, wanting nothing more than to punch the old man.

   "After everything you expect me to go back to the life I was so terrified to leave? It took me everything to escape that! If I go back—" His voice cracked painfully. "—If I go back, I know I'll crack from the pressure. I'm not strong enough. I won't be able to come back here. I know myself well enough to know that I'm not the right person to play spy for you."

Dumbledore was quiet for a moment, surveying the shaking boy standing in front of him. "Did you not agree to do anything to help Fawn Briggs?"

It was as though a cold bucket of water doused the boy. He stiffened. "H-How did you know that?" he whispered sharply, piercing grey eyes staring down the wrinkled old man.

"So you'll do it then?"

Regulus' lips quivered, nails digging painfully into his palms, surely drawing blood at this point. His thoughts were racing. For Fawn—For Fawn, he'd do anything. Having the inside scoop could be helpful for the mission. It could help her get back. He could find the secret to Voldemort's power. He'd have protection. No one would know he was a spy if he returned now.

Regulus's eyes squeezed shut. He took a deep, reassuring breath. "Fine." He nodded. "Fine. I'll do it." He paused, his mind turning. "Can I at least let them know?"

   Dumbledore shook his head. "You May tell Miss. Briggs, but no one else can know."

   Regulus nodded sharply. He held out an arm, shaking it with Dumbledore's stiffly. "Fine."

   "Good. You should write to your parents and let them know you will be returning this Sunday."

Regulus wrote a long, detailed letter, telling them how sorry he was and that he realized how mistaken he'd been. He told them he was ready to join the Dark Lord, to be unwaveringly loyal now. Then he wrote Fawn, briefly saying he'd be staying at Hogwarts for the holidays. And just like that, Regulus had covered all the bases. Regulus Arcturus Black was now a spy.

*****

Walburga Black stood strong and regal, waiting for her long lost son. Students filed off of the Express, hugging family and chatting loudly with friends. She watched like a hawk as Regulus talked quietly with Amycus and Alecto Carrow, approaching slowly. He nodded to both of them, straightened his back, and walked determinedly to his mother.

Walburga, grabbed his shoulder, the hint of a grin on her face before she apparated the two home.

Orion Black waited for them in the foyer, a glass of Firewhiskey in his hand. "Welcome back, son."

"Thank you for letting me back home, Father."

   "I trust you will not pull a stunt like that again?"

Their son shook his head. "Never again. I was wrong to try and follow Sirius. I realize now how corrupted Dumbledore and his army's views are. I only think I needed to find that for myself. I am now completely devoted to the Dark Lord and his services."

Walburga grinned in a sinister way. "Wonderful, Regulus. The Dark Lord will be here Christmas Eve. We will go through on your initiation then."

The mansion was quiet, too quiet. Dinners were a silent, tense affair. Only Kreacher brought any sort of hope. The house elf had always taken a liking to the youngest master, and was delighted to have him back in the ancient home.

But Regulus wasn't the same boy Kreacher had known two year prior. His posture was the same, as were his mannerisms, but his eyes were filled with a new light that Kreacher had never seen before. Regulus was calculated. Every step, every word was thought through carefully. Yet there was a fire that flickered under the ice. The fire grew with every word against Mudbloods and Blood-Traitors.

Kreacher didn't understand but was happy to see his young master filling with life for the first time. Everyone in the home, and even those that visited were empty. Maybe Regulus would stay. Maybe Kreacher wouldn't have to be alone anymore.

The Dark Lord sat at the head of the long table where Orion Black usually was. He was straight-backed and glared at anyone who wasn't. Bellatrix was to his right nearly wetting herself from excitement. Regulus' heart pounded in his chest. This was it. There was no going back. He had chosen this. There hadn't been force, only manipulation, and Regulus knew that but chose to do it anyway.

"Regulus Black," The Dark Lord's voice of silk said, "How wonderful to have you back."

  Regulus bowed his head. "Thank you, my Lord."

"Now that you have returned, in order to show your devotion to me and this cause, it is time you become a Death-Eater."

  Regulus could feel his throat closing. "I'd be honored, my Lord."

   "Come here then."

Bellatrix and a few of the other Death-Eater's cackled.

He couldn't look at Narcissa. She had written to him, wishing him well once he'd escaped. He could feel the disappointment pouring off of her.

The strides to the other end of the table seemed to drag on forever. The Dark Lord's fingers ghosted over his arm. They were cold, dead-like, and chilling. His wand point dug into the flesh of Regulus' left arm.

"Do you, Regulus Arcturus Black, vow to be loyal to me for the rest of your day."

  "Yes, my Lord." Voldemort grinned.

  "And you will carry out every mission I set for you."

   "Yes, my lord."

"Well then," his brown eyes lightened maliciously, "Morsmordre."

A sharp, burning pain shot up through Regulus' veins. He wished to pull away but didn't. The Dark Mark materialized and Regulus held back tears. A moment later a snake slithered between the skull that was permanently etched into his arm.

He wanted to vomit. There'd be no way to explain this. Sirius, James, Peter, Remus, Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, Alice, Vanessa, Davey, Jasper, Emmeline, Frank, Mr. and Mrs. Potter; they'd all hate him.

It's for Fawn, he thought. It will all be worth it if I can help Fawn.

"Welcome you to the family."

The Death-Eaters cheered loudly but Regulus couldn't understand why.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 6.9K 50
'We were the perfect love story between the sun and moon...until the world got in the way. And when the world began to crumble...we crumbled with it...
693K 16.6K 85
Diana Faye Lupin The twin Sister of Remus Lupin. The only girl who's immune to a Certain boy's flirtirous actions. The last girl you'd expect to fall...
2.8K 90 14
Marauders era 1977-1978 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ,,Can I sit here?" the girl asked standing in the door to the train apartment. T...
704 42 19
"You're just a spineless, big-headed, moron Potter. Why on earth would I go out with a fleabag like you?" "It's just, James Potter!" says Sirius, lea...