All in the Game

By MorganWardle

𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐞𝐱𝐢𝐬𝐭... Abigail Williams has a guarded heart. After denying herself lov... More

Authors note
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter one || New beginnings
Chapter two || The injury
Chapter three || This can't be good
Chapter four || Fired
Chapter six || Wake up call
Chapter seven || Making dreams happen
Chapter eight || Welcome Home
Chapter nine || Mr. perfectly fine
Chapter ten || Well this is awkward
Chapter eleven || Forgiveness isn't so easy
Chapter twelve || Double trouble
Chapter thirteen || Tough decisions
Chapter fourteen || Breakfast & feelings
Chapter fifteen || I can't trust you
Chapter sixteen || Making amends
Chapter seventeen || The vegan pasta debate
Chapter eighteen || Holy hell that's hot
Chapter nineteen || Secrets revealed
Chapter twenty || Gifts are the way to a woman's heart
Chapter twenty-one || I love you...maybe
Chapter twenty-two || Burnt scones & dates
Chapter twenty-three || What to wear
Chapter twenty-four || Party fun party
Chapter twenty-five || Wine & Gossip
Chapter twenty-six || Boyfriend & Girlfriend
Chapter twenty-seven || The outing
Chapter twenty-eight || Hospital fights
Chapter twenty-nine || Panic attack
Chapter thirty || disaster strikes
Chapter thirty-one || The call
Chapter thirty-two || I love you...not
Chapter thirty-three || A hard goodbye
Chapter thirty-four || One final goodbye
Chapter thirty-five || Third times the charm
Chapter thirty-six || The letter
Chapter thirty-seven || Is it really a choice
Chapter thirty-eight || Remembering you
Chapter thirty-nine || Here to stay
Chapter forty || Happily ever after
Epilogue

Chapter five || Cake face

4.4K 73 8
By MorganWardle

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

How could he be so reckless? 

The image of Nathan falling to the ground clutching his arm stayed with me weeks after it happened. I try my best not to think about it or him, after all doesn't he deserve this? But the more I think about it, the more I realize no matter all the bad things he's done I will always care for him. After all no one deserves an injury as bad as the one he got. 

It's been on every headline in every newspaper and magazine. 'Pro baseball player Nathan Scott acquired series injuries in last Saturday's game. Said injuries could jeopardize Scott from ever playing again.' This had to be just rumors, Nathan is going to play again. He has to what kind of person would he be without baseball being the center of his world? 

••••••••••••••

I don't have OCD I just like things organized, and planned out ahead of time. I'm the type of person who hates being late and always has a plan b just in case. Today isn't any different, got the boys up and fed, got them to school ready for daycare, took them to daycare. Normally I would just head straight to work however I have some free time before work, heading home I decide it's time to clean out my closet I've been putting it off since last summer. 

Halfway through and I have barely made any progress. I'm a sentimental person and a lot of this stuff brings back memories. Like the teddy bear I had as a kid, or the UNCW college sweatshirt that belonged to Nathan...it still smells like him. Hesitating for a moment it goes in the donate pile. I have no use for it, and there's really no reason to keep it now that me and Nate have broken up. 

A pink notebook catches my eye, pulling it out of my closet it's labeled Abby's dream book. I thought I had lost this when I moved here. Me and my mom stayed up late the night before freshman year of high school to make this. It's filled with pictures of my dream bakery and old Williams family recipes. 

It's a silly dream I haven't given it much thought since having the twins, owning my own bakery has been something I have wanted for so long. I keep a jar of savings on my nightstand it's nowhere near to having enough money. It's a dream for the future, and I'm a determined person I have no doubt that it will be a great success.

••••••••••••

Work Carries on like usual, the same customers come and go. Every once in a while, we get the occasional custom birthday cake order. Then a familiar blonde-haired blue-eyed person walks into Val's. Rosemary Vaughn the biggest gossip in Magnolia Creek. 

"Hello Rosemary," I say through clenched teeth. 

We used to be friends once upon a time, before she turned into the biggest gossip and almost ruined my life in high school. The Vaughn's are known to care about no one but themselves and Rosemary is the worst of them all, I find it hard to believe we were ever friends. 

"Abigail," she does this fake laugh thing like she's actually happy to see me. "How are you?" 

"I have been good, what can I do for you?" 

Rosemary claps her hands together. "As you probably already know I'm engaged!" She holds her hand out for me to see. Holy shit that's a big ring, they make rings that big? 

"I didn't know at all...congratulations!" I try to sound as excited as I can but it comes out all high pitched. I'm not jealous of her, people like Rosemary marry for money not love. In fact I'd hate to be the poor soul that has to put up with someone like her for the rest of my life. 

"We are throwing an engagement party soon I'll need a cake by then." 

Don't let her get to you I tell myself, she's just being her bratty little self just deal with her until then. Taking a deep breath I say "sure, just write all the details down here." I hand her a piece of paper. "And I will see what we can do for you." 

She scribbles some things and hands me the piece of paper with a Ruby red smile on her face. Rosemary turns to go and I add her cake to the list of things to get done today. Because if there's one thing I don't want it's to be on her bad side. She stops abruptly turning back around "actually, there's one more thing." 

"Ok—" 

"You might have everyone else fooled, but I know exactly what happened in high school. And don't think for a second, I will ever let you live it down, I have many ways to blackmail you." 

WHAT. THE. HELL. 

I almost laugh she's just joking...right? What happened in high school was years ago, and it wasn't my fault it was hers. She purposely stole the boy I liked knowing I liked him, so I got back at her. Alex was my first heartbreak and the reason I vowed to never date again...until Nathan and look how well that turned out. 

"Oh, really like what?" 

Her smile turns malicious it sort of reminds me of the grinch's smile. "Everyone in the town thinks your boys are a result of some stupid one-night stand, I know the truth." I won't let her get to me I keep repeating in my head. "Which is?" 

"Tell Nate hi for me when he comes crawling back to this hole in the ground." 

OH MY GOD! How does she know? 

She does a little wave as she goes. That's it that's my breaking point, I completely lose control. Picking up the cake I had been icing before she walked in, I throw it at her. People all around let out gasps, or a quiet laugh. Everyone is thinking the same thing I am, Rosemary deserves it. But she's magnolia creeks Princess since her mother's the mayor. 

Rosemary let's out a screech, "you will pay for this Abigail Williams!" She stalks out of Val's as if on cue Val rounds the corner and she doesn't look happy. "Abby a word NOW!" Yikes, I have done it now, I meet Val in her office. "What were you thinking?" 

"I don't know, but she deserved it and don't think she didn't because trust me she did." 

"Abigail anyone in their right mind knows that girl deserves anything that's thrown her way. That doesn't mean we act upon those things. This looks bad...especially for the bakery." 

"I know, I tried not to let her get to me she's just so frustrating!" 

"I heard what she told you before you dumped that cake on her, that's the only reason I'm not madder about the situation. I'm going to give you the day off please don't let it happen again." 

A tear escapes my eye and Val hugs me. I'm not sure why I let her get to me, she just mentioned Nathan and something in me snapped. Sitting in the parking lot in my car for a good thirty minutes something comes over me, I'm not sure what makes me do it, but I pull my phone out and dial Nathan's number. 

I don't even know if it's still the same one he used to have. While it rings, I think about what I'm going to say if he picks up. 'Hey, it's Abby you know the girl you left behind to go off and follow your dreams. Well guess what I was pregnant and had your kids...anyway I would love to catch up if you have time.' That never happens though because he never picks up the phone. 

••••••••••••

My sister Aria is the one who greets me at the door. "Abby what are you doing here this early? Mom and dad weren't expecting you for another hour or so." 

"I had some trouble at work...nothing to worry about." I tell her when I see the expression on her face. "What about you? I thought for sure you would be out on a date with that cute boyfriend of yours." 

"We broke up." She says like it's the easiest thing in the world. Stopping in my tracks I turn to face my sister. "Aw why I thought he was cute?" 

"Abby, you know why." 

Of course, I do I just like teasing her. Aria has had a crush on her childhood best friend since eighth grade, I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now except him. Oh to be eighteen and in love, I remember those days and the heartbreak it brought with it. I just hope she doesn't follow in my footsteps, and I hope more than anything Julian opens up his eyes and realizes how amazing she is before it's too late. 

"Mom is in the kitchen." She tells me before wandering off. 

Just like Aria said mom is in the kitchen chopping onions for the soup she's making. "Hey," I say making my presence known. "Abigail what are you doing here this early?" 

"Work problems..." 

"What did you do?" I look at her offensively, "why are you so sure it's my fault?" 

"Because you are a lot like your father hot headed, you both lose your temper way too easily." She goes back to chopping the onions, and I join her peeling the potatoes. "It was my fault but Rosemary started it." 

"Figures, when will the two of you put the past behind you?" 

"Probably never she hates me as much as I hate her." She finishes the onions and dumps them into the pot. "What exactly happened I want to know everything?" So, I retell everything not leaving a single part out. By the time I'm done she looks shocked. "How does she know about Nathan?" 

"I don't know, I mean it's not like we kept our relationship a secret. I shouldn't have let her words get to me yet I did." Following her gaze to the window leading into the backyard where the boys are chasing my dad. 

"As much as I wish it weren't true, he will always be a part of my life I might as well admit it." 

"It will get easier Abby." 

I wish that were true as well, why didn't anyone tell me being a single parent would be so hard? I have made many sacrifices over the years, of course I'd do them all over again for my boys. But for once I would like something too, to follow my dreams the way Nathan did. 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

And just like that another chapter has come to an end. Things are going to start getting interesting in the next few chapters and absolutely cannot wait! 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Friday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 10 16
Ethan wants nothing more than to escape his past and start over, but fate has other plans when he crosses paths with Abigail, a girl who won't stop t...
1.8K 79 18
Abigail is trying to make it through the world without the person she called her soulmate. What will she do with a best friend who blames her? A rel...
132 5 17
Victoria Murphy Carter has it all. A lovely home, a handsome and caring husband, money to ensure her family is happy, a cute little girl and pregnant...
756K 47.7K 35
Formerly known as Hall of Fame / Peyton loves baseball. Losing his ace pitcher brother turned Santiago away from the game. Can she make him fall for...