The Bull Prince | Max Verstap...

By water4lily

Joanna Lauda was already a two-time world champion and no longer new to the sport, but what she didn't expect... More

Beginning
Chapter One: The Art of War
Chapter Two: Max Verstappen
Chapter Three: Fernando Alonso
Chapter Four: Mark Webber
Chapter Five: Lewis Hamilton
Chapter Six: Alain Prost
Chapter Seven: Nico Rosberg
Chapter Eight: Joanna Lauda
Chapter Nine: Romain Grosjean
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
THE SEQUEL
SEQUEL - Chapter 01
SEQUEL - Chapter 02
SEQUEL - Chapter 03
SEQUEL - Chapter 05
SEQUEL - Chapter 06
SEQUEL - Chapter 07
SEQUEL - Chapter 08
SEQUEL - Chapter 09
SEQUEL - Chapter 10
SEQUEL - Chapter 11
SEQUEL - Chapter 12
SEQUEL - Chapter 13
SEQUEL - Chapter 14
SEQUEL - Chapter 15
SEQUEL - Chapter 16
SEQUEL - Chapter 17
SEQUEL - Chapter 18
SEQUEL - Chapter 19
SEQUEL - Chapter 20
SEQUEL - Chapter 21
SEQUEL - Chapter 22
SEQUEL - Chapter 23
SEQUEL - Chapter 24
SEQUEL - Chapter 25
SEQUEL - Chapter 26
SEQUEL - Chapter 27
SEQUEL - Chapter 28
SEQUEL - Chapter 29
SEQUEL - Chapter 30
SEQUEL - Chapter 31
SEQUEL - Chapter 32
SEQUEL - Chapter 33
SEQUEL - Chapter 34
SEQUEL - Chapter 35
SEQUEL - Chapter 36
SEQUEL - Chapter 37
SEQUEL - Chapter 38
SEQUEL - Chapter 39
SEQUEL - Chapter 40
SEQUEL - Chapter 41
SEQUEL - Chapter 42
SEQUEL - Chapter 43
SEQUEL - Chapter 44
SEQUEL - Chapter 45
SEQUEL - Chapter 46
SEQUEL - Chapter 47
SEQUEL - Chapter 48
SEQUEL - Chapter 49
SEQUEL - Chapter 50
SEQUEL - Chapter 51
SEQUEL - Chapter 52
SEQUEL - Chapter 53
SEQUEL - Chapter 54
SEQUEL - Chapter 55

SEQUEL - Chapter 04

2.7K 95 42
By water4lily

So, I know it had been a little bit longer, but here we go. I promise from now on you will see a lot more about Max and let me know what you think about the news article style of writing. Enjoy! 

<><><><><><><><><><>

F1 – Flash News Exclusive 21st May 2019

FINDING LAUDA

MONACO – the race every driver wants to win.

Finally, the teams are back in Monte Carlos for one of the most prestigious races of the whole season. Glamour and speed are at home in Monaco just as most of the drivers, which already gave us a good look at some of the competitors. Charles Leclerc had shown his face already, just as Daniel Ricciardo, who had posted a nice picture of himself with the preparations of the Grand Prix clearly visible in the background. By now, all teams have arrived and the paddock is full of the rich and beautiful, the only one who's still missing is Joanna Lauda. But where is the Austrian and why hadn't she arrived yet?

The Lauda family has suffered a terrible twist of fate. Niki Lauda, three-time world champion, father and husband is dead. Joanna Lauda hadn't been seen since the announcement of her father's death almost two weeks ago. Sources say that there hasn't been any movement around the Austrian's city penthouse apartment in Monaco which is why the fans came up with the theory that she has left Monaco before the announcement of her father's tragic death. It is reasonable to assume that Joanna is in Vienna with her family, as team boss Toto Wolf had claimed, but the comment from another driver made fans prick up their ears.

Max Verstappen had said in his last interview as he had been asked about Niki Lauda's death and his close relationship to the Austrian driver legend's daughter that he was positive that the younger Mercedes driver would take some time for herself in the mountains before she would come back to the world of racing. The Dutchman was cornered about his statement about the Lauda family which finally caused him to answer, but did he tell the truth?

Verstappen and Lauda are known for their rather close relationship. A hug here, a friendly gesture there. That's nothing new, but the sudden distance over the last months certain is. The reason for that is still unknown to us, but I can imagine that a certain Brazilian is the cause of the sudden rift between our favourite power duo. The fan theories are running wild. From a childhood rivalry between Kelly Piquet and Joanna Lauda to an ugly break-up between Verstappen and Lauda caused by the Brazilian. In the end, all we can say is that we don't know.

One thing, we do know on the other hand. It's 72 hours before the race and Joanna Lauda is still missing. So, the only question to be asked is not if Lauda hides in the mountains or in the capital of Austrian, but if Joanna Lauda has enough energy to come back and surprise us all. Knowing the Mercedes driver as good as I do, I say yes. One should never completely write Joanna Lauda off, even if the signs are bad at the moment. If someone can find a way to recover from something like this, it is Joanna Lauda.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Making her way down the stairs, Joanna could see Mark sitting on the couch, a cup of what she supposed was coffee in his hand and the little lamb sitting at his feet, looking up at him, while Mark starred at it.

Raising an eyebrow, Joanna watched them for a minute before she shook her head and took the last step, causing the little black lamb to notice her, getting to his feet, he ran over to the Austrian while making what she assumed were happy noises.

"Hello, there," Joanna muttered as she had leaned down to gently pat the lamb's wool, after setting her packed overnight travel beg on the floor.

"Does the lamb even have a name?" He wanted to know, trying to break the ice between them, causing Joanna to look up at him.

"Steak." The Austrian muttered, causing Mark to laugh loud and heartily, startling the little lamb which hide behind Joanna. He gave Joanna an amused smile, she almost got him, but as he noticed the Austrian's expression, he knew she wasn't joking.

"Not even you're that cruel," Mark said after a moment. Not smiling. His gaze was rather reproachfully. Who on earth thought that naming a lamb 'steak' was even moderately okay?

"That's not cruel. It's a name. It's a good name for a lamb." Joanna argued but Mark could only shake his head in amusement.

"It's a terrible name. God, I'm glad you didn't name our..." But he stopped before ending the sentence. Nevertheless, he caused Joanna to look up from the lamb she was patting to give Mark a sad but also regretful glance. Normally she would lash out at him, say something mean and try to hurt him with her words as much as he had just hurt her with his, but she simply didn't. There was no point in lashing out any longer. There was no point in being so angry all the time about something she couldn't change.

"I have to leave now if I want to be in Monaco on time," Joanna said, which confused Mark, he had braced himself for the most hurtful version of Joanna, but the Austrian simply seemed so defeated. There was no fight in her and it worried Mark. He didn't know her like that, it seemed as if she had given up.

"I will drive you to the airport." He offered but Joanna shook her head.

"You need to bring steak to my neighbour. I called so he knows you're coming. I will be on my way to Monaco alone." She said while writing something down, another address. Mark hated them all for sending them around looking for people as if he was a private inspector.

"I'm not sure I should leave your side." The Aussie said after a moment in which Joanna had handed him Steak. The lamb wasn't happy about being handed around. Blaring at Mark as soon as he was holding it.

"My father died and I needed a few days to myself, that's normal. I'm allowed to be normal every once in a while." Joanna said, before she got her rucksack and made her way over to the door, Mark hot on her heels.

He wanted to object, tell her that he would come with her, but in the end, he couldn't do anything against it. Joanna was right, she had every right to need some time to herself and a little part of him was glad that she didn't demand him to follow her because there was this feeling deep inside of him that he couldn't follow her where she was going any longer. Something deep inside him told him, that this was about to be it. Joanna wouldn't be his concern any longer. These times were finally over. And getting her to come back was his last move before settling down in life without Joanna ever on his mind. 

<><><><><><><><><><>

23rd May 2019 – MONACO

Stepping from the speed boat Joanna walked towards the entrance of the paddock, wearing a tight black Mercedes shirt and holding her turquoise Mercedes cap in hand while searching her backpack for her paddock pass. Finally finding it, Joanna left her rucksack hanging from one shoulder before swiping the card over the terminal to allow her entrance. She just put on her cap as a crowd of people already formed around her.

Pulling her cap more into her face, Joanna slung her arm around her backpack, resting it against her chest while she tried to get through the crowd to the Mercedes facility. She knew that everybody wanted to see her reaction, to take a look at her, this was her first official appearance since her father had died after all and not even the best paparazzi had known where the Austrian had spent the last few days, so now they wouldn't give her even one moment of peace.

Following the Austrian down the paddock, Joanna had to dodge people and cameras which were held towards her face. Where were Kiwi and Andrew when she needed them most? The crowd around her was getting tenser with every moment causing Joanna to look around uncomfortable for a way to escape the spotlight but as soon as her eyes met the ones of a certain Dutchman, who was sitting at a table with his father and girlfriend, Joanna froze totally. She didn't even notice that she had stopped right in front of Red Bull.

People were shouting questions at her concerning her father's death and if she inherited all his money, which caused Joanna to give the interview an oppressive look. This was a terrible question to asked not even a whole week after her father had taken his last breath.

Her eyes pulled away from Max, but she looked back right away to see him still looking at her. His gaze was worried, his posture had changed a little bit as if he simply waited for her to call his name and he would jump up and run over to her whisk her away like a knight in shining armour and never allow any of these noisy people close to her, but Joanna won't call his name. She can't do that to him.

Noticing Max's gaze on the crowd, Kelly reached out to take his hand which caused Max to pull his eyes from Joanna and give his girlfriend a forced smile, causing Kelly to lean in and press her lips against his for which Max wasn't prepared.

"For god's sake, leave her be." Jos Verstappen called out as he got up from his seat, which actually quieten the crowd down and caused people to turn around to him, while Joanna took the opportunity to push through the crowd of people but as soon as she managed to break free, she felt a hand around her upper arm. Ready to pull to get free, Joanna looked up to face none other than Jos Verstappen looking down at her. The Austrian reached up with her other hand, the one which wasn't held by Jos and slung around the backpack to righten her cap again.

"Thank you." She muttered which caused Jos to nod very well aware that the cameras were now directed on them, but none of them dared to come too close to Jos Verstappen not in a way they dared to harry Joanna Lauda.

"Do you have a moment, I would like to wish you my condolences without spectators," Jos said giving the people from the international press a displeased glance which caused a few of them to back a step or two away. Nodding softly to herself, Joanna coughed Max's pained glance on her and Kelly's murderous one over Jos's shoulder.

"Of course." She answered while giving a small smile, causing Jos to nod once, before pulling the Austrian with him towards the entrance of the Red Bull facility which she actually hadn't expected. It must have looked strange. Jos Verstappen pulling Joanna Lauda on her upper arm into the Red Bull facility while she held onto her backpack tightly, her expression still a little bit shaken.

Jos let go of the younger one as soon as they entered a corridor causing Joanna to lean against the wall behind her, her hands crossed behind her back as well. Her eyes were on Jos, who seemed to search for the right words, or he was listening if someone was following them, Joanna didn't know but they were never friends. She still remembered the one time she had told Jos to shut up because the grown-ups were talking. Max had told her how much his father resented her for saying that, so she didn't quite understand what this was supposed to be.

"I want you to keep away from my son." The Dutchman started to talk, and Joanna barely contained herself from letting out a snort. That's exactly what she was doing before the Dutchman had pulled her into the Red Bull garage. She tried to keep away.

"Kelly is the better one for him. She's not trying to take a win from him or a championship. She's not a distraction. You were since you presented him with this trophy back in his karting days." The Dutchman told her, and Joanna knew that he meant to threaten her, but she didn't feel threatened. Her mind went back to her awarding Max with his karting trophy and the dinner after.

"You see? We agree on that point. I won't be a distraction to him." Joanna answered him after a moment which caused Jos to nod. He was surprised that the Austrian was so easily pulled away from his son, but in the end, he had never asked Max why the Austrian and he weren't together any longer. He was just glad that this stupidity of his son was finally over. It was just a fling, a phase. And if he had to chase after his childhood crush, so be it, as long as he learned from it and won't do such a thing ever again.

Nodding once more Jos left. Not looking back at the beautiful Austrian, which was still standing in the corridor of the Red Bull facility, but her mind was busy with a memory.

November 2013

"I just don't get how you're doing it!" Max said after listening closely to the story Joanna had told him, his pizza negotiated on his plate, but he didn't care. This might be his only chance to talk to a real Formula One world champion until he would make it to F1, so he asked as many things as he could.

Infinitely happy that the Austrian world champion was present to give the top three of the karting races their trophies.

As soon as he heard that Joanna Lauda of all people would hand over the trophies Max knew he had to win. He just had to if he ever wanted to talk to her and even if it would just be a few empty words of congratulations. He wanted to see her in real life and not always from in front of the tv.

This was his chance to get one or two tips from the Austrian, who managed to win her first title in her rookie season and just to prove to everyone that it was her who made the difference and not the car, she went and won the next year as well. Joanna Lauda had won her first title at 17 years of age and was, therefore, the youngest world champion to ever exist. Max, like so many of his generation, desperately wanted to be just like her, or even better.

"How are you so fast?" Max wanted to know grinning at the Austrian, who had taken the time to invite him for a pizza after the race to answer his many questions. After giving his father a pleading look and promising that he will do everything he wants and never again complain, Jos gave a nod, which was the only allowance Max would ever get.

"You want to know my secret?" The Austrian asked, leaning against the backrest while watching the 16-year-old Dutch, who nodded right away, causing the Austrian to smile.

"It's the corner exit which makes me so fast. People think it's the late-breaking, but the late-breaking is a side effect of the way I exit the corner. I don't have to be the first one in the corner, I just have to exit it first." The Austrian explain causing Max to pull his eyebrows together.

"That doesn't make any sense. If I'm not steering into the corner, I will miss it." Max argued causing Joanna to smile softly.

"I promise I'm telling you the truth. You have to trust your abilities and improve every lap." Joanna pointed out causing Max to nod once before taking a big bite from his pizza.

Back then, Joanna hadn't seen Max as a real man, even though he had tried his best to make her believe he was all grown up. In between asking every question which came to his mind. Joanna had liked him back then and she still did as he came onto the grid, even though she gave him a little bit of a cold shoulder as she noticed his little crush.

Thinking about it now, Joanna realised that Max must have considered what she had told him. His late-breaking was nearly legendary by now, he always entered a corner perfectly, even though entering it flawlessly wasn't his priority, but the one thing which must have stuck strongest to him was what she said about improvement. Max had the talent, but he was also working so hard on himself. Every lap, he got better. Every race he improved. Every season he came a little bit closer to the big players. Joanna knew he would be the world champion one day. It was really just a matter of time until he would be a member of their little club.

"Oh hey." Joanna greeted Christian who came over to her, an attentive look on his face. He had hoped to find her in Max's company, but the young Dutch was nowhere to be found.

"Hey." Christian greeted carefully, one hand lifted a little bit as if he was approaching a hurt animal. "I saw Jos pull you in here. Are you okay? Do I need to call someone? HR maybe?"

"HR?" Joanna asked her eyebrows pulled together. She would love to report Max's dad for harassing her, but in this case, it was beyond the point, so she simply shook her head. 

"I'm fine. But could you call Toto to send some people over to get me? I can't even make one step in the paddock." The Austrian admitted which caused Christian to nod before he got his phone from his pocket and dialled a number. While waiting for the Austrian team principal to pick up, Christian gave her a soft smile and put his hand down on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, by the way. I know you hadn't had the best relationship, but it still hurts to lose someone." The Red Bull principal told her which caused Joanna to swallow, before giving him a thankful glance.

"Life goes on, no matter what." The Austrian had muttered causing Christian to pull his face into a comforting expression, before letting go of Joanna's shoulder as the person he was calling picked up the phone.

"Yes, Toto." He said.  "I think I've found something you would like to get back." Christian started to speak, suddenly using his business voice, earning himself an eye roll from the Austrian, but he couldn't see Joanna, the way he had turned away from her.

"Little bit under 6 feet tall, golden hair, blue intelligent eyes. ... Yes, actually ... she would like to be picked up. Great." The Brit said a shit-eating grin on his face, happy that he had used the opportunity to annoy the taller team principal a little bit. Must have brightened his day, Joanna guessed.

Pocketing his phone again, Christian was about to walk away with a smile on his lips as he realised that they still had a guest, so gave Joanna an open smile. He was always friendly with her. Joanna Lauda had been close friends with so many of his drivers in the past, he was used to the Austrian and liked her company. He jokingly referred to her as the driver who got away. 

"Do you want a juice box while you wait?" He asked causing Joanna to huff. She wasn't twenty any longer, but she did like her occasional juice box, so she nodded before allowing Christian to carry her backpack.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Wearing an expression which was meant to scare the paparazzi away, Toto and a little group of Mercedes staff made their way over to the Red Bull facility, which must have looked like a lot of trouble and normally that was the case, but this time Toto was unbelievable thankful that he had to make his way over to Christian Horner. Joanna was there, safe and sound, he trusted Christian enough to keep Joanna safe even though she wasn't a Red Bull driver, but this was about human decency, and it was no secret that the Brit liked the Austrian, who had spent so many hours in his facility and garage as Sebastian Vettel still drove for Red Bull, feeling more welcome and better protected at Red Bull than in her own team back then, so Toto was sure Christian would take good care of Joanna.

God, he was so glad that Mark had somehow managed to get Joanna to Monaco, even though he didn't understand why they hadn't called. It would have made things easier, and he wouldn't have had the stress of trying and organising a driver in case of Joanna not showing up. None of them had seen the Austrian since the news broke that Niki Lauda wasn't with them any longer and for a moment Toto was deeply worried. Joanna was a grown-up but losing someone can make a human being do a lot of stupid things. 

So, he called Alain Prost and asked if he knew something of his goddaughter but even he had no clue and only a small idea where she could be. The Frenchman had to call Max Verstappen about the exact location of the woodhouse in the mountains and to their surprise, the Dutchman didn't waste a moment before telling them. He was ready to do everything to help under the condition that Joanna would never know about his involvement. 

Sharing a look with James over the head of Susie and Kiwi, Toto wasn't sure if he should murder Joanna for not answering her phone for nearly a week, or if he should kiss her. The Austrian's PR agent and assistant was a bundle of nervous energy, while Andrew her Canadian performance coach tried his best to calm the Aussie down, which was kind of entertaining to watch but as Susie started to worry as well, Toto knew that they needed to do something.

Sitting around and waiting for her to come home just wasn't cutting it. They were all worried and they needed to know what was going on. He thanked God that Christian had decided to call him at this moment. 

Toto was about to enter the Red Bull facility but was stopped by a man in Red Bull clothes.

"I'm sorry, are you invited?" He asked the Mercedes principal and Toto was ready to tell him to fuck off because he was only collecting his own driver which a father of a Red Bull driver kidnapped before.

"Edward, it's alright. Let them in." Helmut spoke down from the window of his office in on the upper floor, before the window closed again and the man, Edward let them enter only for a girl to appear which led them up the stairs and to Christian's office, where she knocked, causing Toto to share a look with his wife, which meant that the Red Bull principal was enjoining this way too much for his liking, but Susie told him with one look that it wasn't worth the fight right now. They would get Joanna and leave again.

As Christian's voice sounded through the door that they were allowed to enter, the girl opened the door before walking away. Toto was the first one to enter only to see his 27-year-old star driver sitting cross-legged on a sofa in Christian Horner's office, the Brit in front of her laughing at something the Austrian had just said before she took a sip from her juice box. 

"I can't believe that Olivia is that big already." The Austrian had said after gesturing at the picture of Christian's family which was standing on his workdesk, causing the Brit to turn around and take a frame before handing it to Joanna and saying something about his son, Montey.  

Upon seeing Christian turn around Toto realised that the Brit was holding a juice box as well. This was so weird but thinking about it, Toto wasn't sure he ever expected to find them in any different way. Christian's drivers were mere kids after all. The only thing which was missing was some pens for colouring.

Kiwi was the first one, who moved. The ridiculousness of the situation was not as big as her worry for Joanna. Nearly running over, Kiwi slung her arms around Joanna's shoulder and head only to pull the younger Austrian into her chest to give her a firm hug.

"How do you keep doing these things?" The Aussie asked causing Joanna to give her a confused look.

"Was I put under house arrest, and you forgot to tell me?" The Austrian answered, not understanding why her team was so worried about her. She just needed some time on her own and it wasn't the first time, well maybe it was the first time in a very long time in which, alone didn't mean she would be alone with Max.

"We were just worried about you, darling," Susie said after another moment which caused Joanna to huff. She hated when they all mother-hened her for no reason.

"I can take care of myself." She answered before getting up from the sofa, thanking Christian for allowing her to stay and the juice box, she gave Kiwi a pointed look, causing the Aussie to let go of her, before joining Andrew's side again.

Making their way over to the Mercedes facility, the team made sure that Joanna would stay hidden in the middle of them, even though people had little interest in leaving them be. Entering their own facility Toto barked that he wanted security guards for Joanna as long as they would stay in Monaco, causing the younger Austrian to roll her eyes, but Toto ignored her. All he did was calling Joanna into his office and telling the others to go on with their work.

"You know that I have to ask this," Toto said, changing to German as soon as he and Joanna were on their own in his office.

"Can you drive?" Toto wanted to know, and Joanna was ready to kill someone if she had to have any more conversations in the next few days she never wanted to have.

"Don't know? Maybe my three titles were just luck." The younger Austrian replied while letting herself flop down on one of the chairs opposite from her boss.

"Don't give me an attitude. Not after nearly scaring me into a heart attack." The older one told her, earning himself an unimpressed look. He wasn't in the mood of having this conversation either.

"I can drive, Toto. I went through worse while still driving and winning." The younger Austrian pointed out. Not in the mood to talk about it again. Her father would have already given her a lecture about abstinence and that drugs are bad. Joanna knew that she wasn't planning on her having to go through withdrawal ever again. Two times was enough.

"Yeah, at Ferrari, but we care about you, other than them. If you can't drive, you tell me, we get you help and you're on medical leave until you're ready to come back." Toto said and Joanna knew that she needed to be thankful for that. Not every team was handing things like that. If someone at Ferrari would have ever known about her problem, well scratch that, they all knew but nobody cared because Joanna never crashed, but would that have happened, they would have dropped her without a second thought.

"Understood?" The team principal pressed which caused Joanna to nod. "Yeah, got it."

"Good and now get lost. We all have work to do. James wants to see you." The Mercedes team principal said, his eyes already on some papers which were laying around, causing Joanna to roll her eyes, nearly expecting him to say that he saw her doing it, before getting up and walking over to the door.

"Yes, boss." She said effusively as she saluted him.

"Joanna," Toto called again, which caused the Austrian to turn around to face the older one. Already expecting to get into trouble for that, but Toto's expression was soft.

"It's good to see you. I'm glad we didn't lose both of you." Sometimes Joanna forgot that Toto and Niki were very close and that he missed her father. Giving him a weak smile Joanna left the office. They had work to do after all and that sounded like the perfect thing to do right now. Headfirst into as much work as she could find, so she could ignore the death of her father and the separation from Max looming over her head. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.2K 502 26
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 she is Daniel Ricciardos sister. She is the less successful, living in the shadow of her brother. Daniel races for McLaren along side...
241K 3K 36
Alex was on a plane to Barcelona. Unexpectedly she made friends with two guys who sat next to her. They were touristing in the city. Thinking she wou...
29.4K 423 45
Being born into the mafia, you are given the choice at eighteen to stay or leave. But even if you choose to leave, there are always rules that need t...
54.7K 861 34
„You're perfectly wrong for me And that's why it's so hard to leave." - Shawn Mendes --- After 4 years, Azalea (24) moves on and starts to go on date...