Desert • Flower | TaeJin || B...

By Kuma__Kuroko

"I've lived surrounded by dirt, no matter how hard I tried it was just dirt.... And you came along! To be the... More

I. Lost and confused child
II. He who longs for flowers
III. Realizing what is important
IV. Understand that you have a family
VI. Being aware of the arid desert
VII. Finding a flower about to wilt
VIII. First words to be spoken
IX. Fear of a possible error
X. Knowing a little more about the strange lord
XI. A charmingly mysterious creature
XII. Gifts for good deeds
XIII. To be able to sleep in peace
XIV. Instincts that remain alive
XV. To protect them all
XVI. Not so desirable solutions
XVII. Peace resumed in the desert
XVIII. Unwanted and unexpected visits
XIX. The rose under the ground
XX. Firmness and protection
XXI. A little more closeness between the two
XXII. Caring the sad soul
XXIII A depressing and silent night
XXIV. Similar to its best days
XXV. Need to give honor
XXVI. Something inevitable
XXVII. Making an effort to heal
XXVIII. What has hurt the most
XXIX. Contact and necessary appreciation
XXX. Happiness that cannot last
XXXI. Support that helps to believe
XXXII. One weight less
XXXIII. The past that does not hurt, but soothes
XXXIV. Talk about what they do not know
XXXV. The nymphs of the forest do not cease to play
XXXVI. Peace in all households
XXXVII. Entering a period of peace and joy
XXVIII. To need help due to other people's foolishness
XXXIX. Healing the wounded and marking the path of light
XL. Disturbing concerns
XLI. Voiceless little ones among vultures
XLII. Additions to the complicated equation
XLIII. Endless bad news
XLIV. Speaking of the past he did not see
XLV. The flower of the cruelest desert

V. Give goodbyes and welcomes

16 2 0
By Kuma__Kuroko

"Is the war already over?"

"Yes, it's over already. Yesterday it did" Taehyung gives a faint smile, holds tightly the wrinkled and shaking hand. "And everyone's celebrating, they're going to have lots of games at night, they're going to set off fireworks... maybe it'll bother you a little when you're sleeping."

"Ah, that sounds wonderful I'd like to see them, but I know I can't... Go over there, enjoy them for me and..."

There is an extended silence that Taehyung dares not break, he allows the man his time to respond to formulate the whole sentence in his mind and say it. It takes quite a while, the people in the room are also getting impatient, all workers very close to the master of the house.

"Ah, yes, yes, fireworks" he says with a huge smile and one of his half closed eyes shows him very tired, but he is happy. "I wouldn't want to have left you in a world of war, that would be very terrible... because imagine if I had had to bury you!" he blurts out scandalized and Taehyung gives a soft smile as he squeezes his hand affectionately. "How I buried my dear Jinri.... Jinri... I love her very much you know? I love her too much, she will be my beautiful and eternal wife."

"I know, dad, I know.... Do you want to rest for a while?" proposes Taehyung sweetly, some of those present gives a stifled groan.

They know that he will not wake up that rest, however, he will stop suffering from the illness that was afflicting him these days.

"Yes, I want to rest a little, but when I wake up we will watch the fireworks together Do you think so?"

"I'll be waiting for you. I'll be here until you wake up." He promises with a broken voice and a fake smile.

The senior falls asleep and not two hours pass when he finally stops breathing. Taehyung places his hands together on the lap of the man who remains serious and peaceful at the same time. He winces, gives a slight sob and smiles weakly. He did not think that the day would come when his father would die, let alone that it would be a day between the war, just any day when they could attack. Still, it makes him happy that it never had to happen. That his dad never had to live through it. It pains him to have lied to him before he left, yet isn't it better this way? That he left believing that the empire is at peace and no one is at risk. That was his biggest worry: that everyone here would end up at enormous risk because the war continues. A senseless war against Japan.

They have been extremely fortunate that, despite being close to the coast, no troops have arrived here. Mainly because the territory is very complicated to use for landing. The doughnuts along the coast are very high and large, and anyone is in danger. No one in their right mind would go through there with a big boat as is the case with Japan and its troops. Taehyung admits that he had his hand in the matter, he was not going to let it be an easy entrance. He had the seabed raised a little and although it took a lot of work, he was satisfied.

On the other hand, there was always the risk that some squadron would arrive here and demand that they take the territory. His father inherited everything from him, even before he became seriously ill. This place is now his, the workers now obey him and they all depend on him. Taehyung knows he can't fail, he has to do everything he can to avoid misfortune. Taehyung feels burdened by it.

He may be twenty years old and yet he feels unprepared for this. In reality, no one can be prepared for a war out of nowhere. It has a certain amount of time and still, they don't get used to sleeping with one eye open because at any moment someone is going to arrive.

"Start the funeral preparations, please. We have to see my father off as he deserves, regardless of the situation." announces Taehyung and people bow to him.

"As you request sir."

A funeral, waiting for the savages, the violent, it's been a bit sad and very hard days Taehyung tries to keep his spirits up; but the death of his adoptive mother and father prevents him. Taehyung prays for the situation to get better soon even though it seems it never will.

~ * * * ~

Taehyung leaves home, his large and ever-expanding territory to make long rounds around the coast. That way he can watch for approaching ships. It can be considered a paranoia as well as a duty. Sometimes he does it, sometimes others from neighboring houses do it; in general they help each other in the hope of getting away unharmed.

Taehyung is surprised to see that something finally arrives. It is not a ship as he expected, it is not big or magnificent and it is not full of people; on the contrary, it must have only five or six people. Not to mention that it is dragging four children; they all have bags of faded cloth, some small boxes they can barely carry, skin blackened by the impact of the sun, matted hair.

Taehyung gallops down the slope to intercept them, he manages to scare them off immediately. One of the men stands in front of the group, covering them with his arms and body. Taehyung climbs down from his horse and raises large earthen walls. Solid and strong they prevent them from passing through or returning to the raft they came on.

"You-"

"Do-don't hur-t us please! don't hurt us ple... ase" the man says awkwardly with a hand on his chest. "We didn't come here do anything bad. W-we just wanted to esca- get away from Japan-what-we-want-"

"Flee Japan?" repeats the nobleman with a wrinkled face and disgust welling up.

"Y-yes...over there we have nothing and-and we don't want to" He swallows hard. "B-be part o-of the army...p-please don't-please don't kill us."

Seok emerges, at Taehyung's side and vigilant that no one dares make any false moves against his master. Taehyung analyzes briefly, keeping his hand on the sheath of his sword. They certainly look like miserable people, what little or nothing they have of the world beyond what they brought with them and they are all frightened of him, they look like they are about to die of fright. Taehyung approaches with a stoic face and takes a much closer look, surprised that they suddenly drop to the ground on their knees.

They repeat the plea over and over again not to kill them. Some just poorly mimic what the first one said, apparently being the only one who knows Korean out of all of them.

"Are you Korean?"

"Yes my lord. I-I was kidnapped years ago and-and-"

"Do you trust these people?"

"Yes my lord."

Taehyung gives a soft gasp. It's one thing for soldiers to come, it's quite another for people to come who want to take refuge from the war; being Japan or Korea Taehyung doesn't care. They are human beings who are scared of the situation and Taehyung can't blame them. He can't imagine how scared they are to have crossed the whole sea in such a poor and risky way just to save themselves.

He feels sorry for them, they are still people in spite of everything and he knows that wars come because of the nobles; they very rarely have to do with the people in reality. What's more, the reason for the war itself is not even known, only that there is a rumor that there was an attempt on the crown, but nothing is certain.

"Y'all risked coming here in such a dangerous and uncertain way" comments Taehyung dropping his sword. The rock walls slowly descend. "Why?"

"Many are running away from there in this way, some say that if you reach a certain Coast full of white sand you will be safe because this territory there is no one" explains the Korean, "but we didn't see any coast with white sand, we only saw is full of complicated boulders. We have no food, we had to go down."

Taehyung ponders briefly: that means that more people might come, that's what worries him because it might cause soldiers to come. At the same time, what people are going to look for is going to be a white sandy coast, it's miles away. He remembers it perfectly well because a long time ago he used to go for walks there with his parents. It's almost a month away if not more. Taehyung must send a letter to the people who live near that area to make them aware of it.

"Can we go my lord?

"Where will you go."

"W-we don't know, but... but..."

Taehyung looks at the children standing there. It reminds him so much of him when he was a child and had no one. Thin, starving, haggard, hungry, frightened... their mothers keep hugging them desperately, afraid that they will vanish in their arms.

And if it seems to him such a cruel act, so miserable, so sad?

"You can come with me."

. . .

"My lord, this is very risky. If any of them decide to attack us-"

"I have it in mind, Mr. Kim."

They all watch the group of Japanese eating in a room they were allowed. Taehyung can tell they are desperate and don't stop thanking as they eat, mainly the women who see their children gagging.

"But..." Taehyung sighs with her eyes closed. "I can't let people die who are not to blame for anything and need help." admits with a sad gesture.

The older man does not avoid smiling faintly. Taehyung may not be his former master's biological son, however, Taehyung totally inherited his candid and sweet attitude. None of them agree with this, they consider it an invasion and that they should leave. However, they gradually begin to understand why Taehyung does not throw them out any time. On the contrary, he starts to look for a way to make them at least a small house and be all together. Taehyung simply sees the human value, he sees nothing else. People who need help, just as he needed it at the time and someone reached out to him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 9.6K 63
YOONMIN In which, Jimin's brother's best friend falls in love with him and this pulls Jimin into a big problem. What is the problem? Read to find out...
666 44 32
"The world always revolves around him: a charming prince, selfish like no other, more beautiful than anyone else and only desires what he doesn't hav...
1.3K 144 45
"Of jade is our blood and of jade is our soul. We were born to be praised, to rule this empire. You're Jade Prince, but jade you'll be if you make me...
19.2K 570 70
"Roses are an odd flower. The white shows purity the red shows lust and the black shows darkness. I guess that's why they're known for being romantic...