QUEEN OF HEARTS

By deepapi

"No matter how strong you are, there's always that one person who can make you weak." "Please hold me tight... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE.
1. YOU'RE NOT ALL THAT.
2. A NEW START
3. TAKE IT EASY.
4. THANK YOU.
5. YOU'RE NOT OKAY.
6. I FEEL...EMPTY
7. LETTING GO
8. I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP.
9. FAMILY.
10. WE MET BY CHANCE AND BECAME FRIENDS BY CHOICE.
11. TO LIFE AND NEW BEGINNINGS.
12. LEAVING THE PAST BEHIND.
13. HAVING FUN.
14. THIS IS IT, WHERE I BELONG.
15. I DON'T BELIEVE IN LOVE.
16. WHAT'S YOUR WORST FEAR?
17. IT'S A GOOD DAY.
18. LET ME IN
19. A ROUGH MORNING
21. GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.
22. I LOVE HAVING HIM AROUND.
23. I CARE ABOUT YOU.
24. I STILL WANT YOU.
25. INTO YOUR ARMS
26. A BAD NIGHT.
27. NAUGHTY HANDS.
28. LOSING GAME.
29. YEARNING FOR YOU.
30. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
31. I SURRENDER.
32. LUCAS AND I.
33. DAD, MIA IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND I LOVE IT.
34. DETERGENT SAGA.
35. I'M NOT GIVING UP ON LUCAS AND I.
36. OPTIMISTIC.
37. FIRST DATE.
38. SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT.
39. WE KEEP ON FIGHTING.
40. BUTTERFLY.

20. JUST WING IT

156 29 58
By deepapi

🦋MIA🦋

I open the door and Lucas enters, closing it behind him only to halt in his steps trailing his mesmerizing eyes on every contour of my figure adorned in a black off shoulder lace bodycon dress with floral ankle strap heels. The lace delicately embraces my shoulders, adding a touch of sensuality to the outfit. The off shoulder neckline is gracefully exposing my collarbone, adding a subtle hint of vulnerability and charm. The vibrant floral pattern on the slender ankle strap heels is effortlessly complemented the elegance of the dress. Lucas's deep voice breaks the silence. "My entire world is flipping right now," he utters, his words dripping with admiration. His gaze remains sorely on me, his eyes piercing like magnets, unable to look away. "Mia, you're uh, you're beautiful." He finally manages to say, the words escaping his mouth in a breathless whisper. We're having group presentations today for the assignments we were given and I want to look formal and elegant.

As I shyly smile, I find myself getting lost in his gorgeous eyes once again, a mesmerizing blend of deep ocean blue and hints of emerald green, drawing me in with their intensity and warmth. It's not only his world that has flipped at this moment but mine too. "You look like the CEO of a successful and prestigious company." He adds and with a tender touch, delicately adjusts the sleeve of my dress for me, his cold fingers grazing my skin and a delightful shiver runs down my spine.

"You look amazing too." He's wearing an all black ensemble of a simple yet tasteful t-shirt fitting him perfectly and slim fit jeans hugging his long legs and accentuating his height and athletic build. Over his t-shirt, he's wearing a leather jacket that fits him snugly, further emphasising his masculine figure. Completing the outfit is a pair of balmoral boots elevating his overall look.

Under his intense gaze, I can feel a blush creeping up my cheeks as I adjust my glasses. Our gazes break away from each other at the same time and a shared fond smile dances on our lips. Lucas opens the fridge door with a gentle pull, the cool air escaping and brushing against our faces as he takes out a glass bottle of milk. He pours the milk into two glasses, the gentle sound of liquid cascading fills the air, adding a soothing melody to the morning stillness. I prepared scrambled eggs and crispy bacon for breakfast today, I'm only unsure if they tastes good.

Picking a plate, I serve him the delicacies, scrambled eggs, fluffy and golden sitting beside a mound of crispy bacon, each strip glistening with an inviting glaze. He tastes them as I wait anxiously to know how they tastes. He's always honest with me unlike my friends who lie sometimes to please me so they don't hurt my feelings. I watch in anticipation as he takes a first bite of the scrambled eggs. His taste buds come alive, savouring the blend of creamy texture and subtle seasoning that melds with the fluffy eggs. The flavours dance on his palate and a smile forms on his lips. "The scrambled eggs is delicious." Lucas states and sigh in relief that my efforts have paid off.

With the scrambled eggs thoroughly enjoyed, Lucas turns his attention to the bacon. As he takes the first bite, he pauses, his discerning taste buds detecting a slightly charred flavour as a smoky aroma wafts in the air. "The bacon is abit burnt, probably because you cooked at high heat." He points out, which is true because I did cook it at high heat. "Next time start on a low heat and increase it as it starts cooking. I'm sure it'll come out good."

"Yes my handsome chef." Patting him on the chest softly, I serve him another plate of scrambled eggs since he loves it. The eggs are fluffy and light, cooked to perfection with a medley of herbs and spices. "I'm abit nervous about the presentation today." Even though I'm used to being in the spotlight from my years as a successful model, I still get nervous sometimes.

"Just wing it and believe in yourself. You'll be fine." Lucas advices me in confidence. "Don't go into too much detail because you'll lose everyone's attention and focus. Keep your explanations short and be audible enough so they can all hear you well."

Believe in yourself.

We finish breakfast and hop into the car driving to campus together. Lucas and I part ways once we arrive in campus and I make my way to the classroom, my footsteps echoing through the hallways. My classmates are bustling about, arranging their notes and adjusting their presentation materials. The professor is standing at the front, organizing the projector and checking the time. The moment arrives and it's my group's turn to step into the spotlight but all we do is exchange glances, waiting for Seth to go to the front of the class and lead the presentation like we agreed. Instead he remains seated, fidgeting with his fingers under the desk.

"The members of group three, it's your turn. One of you to come take us through the assignment like the previous groups have done." The professor calls out for us, Seth still not standing up.

Then he turns on his chair looking behind him and facing me. "I can't do it, I'm nervous."

"I'm nervous too." I whisper back. The other group members are also avoiding our eyes. None of us is willing to go and present the assignment. Closing my eyes I take deep breaths whispering to myself what Lucas adviced me earlier today before opening them and rising to my feet. "Just wing it and believe in yourself."

I take the short notes we wrote for the presentation from Seth before stepping up to the front of the class, my heart almost pounding out of my chest at all the sharp eyes on me. Just wing it and believe in yourself. I start the presentation, illustrating my points on the white board with a marker. As I draw, I keep my explanations short, concise and to the point, ensuring that I'm audible enough for everybody in the class to hear. The more I speak the more at ease I become, finding a rhythm and flow in my delivery. The professor and fellow students are listening attentively, their eyes focused on the board and their expressions displaying genuine interest. This fuels my confidence more and with each passing minute, my voice grows stronger and assured. Towards the end of the presentation, I open the floor for questions, answering the ones I can and the professor answering the ones I find difficult and challenging to answer myself.

After fifteen minutes my presentation ends, the professor and all students clapping for me as I head back to my seat, my shoulders relaxing in relief since I've done well. "Ms. Lazano, your presentation has been exceptional. Great job." The professor says to me and a wide smile curves on my lips as he gazes at everyone in the class. "Lets give Ms. Lazano a well deserved round of applause for her outstanding performance." He adds and a louder applause erupts in the room. Ava holds my hand squeezing gently and smiling at me before letting go and looking ahead as the next group begins their presentation. I'm proud of myself.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

LUCAS.

"There are so many other places I would rather be right now." With a heavy sigh I slump back on my chair in the café I'm in with my bestfriends. The only place I want to be right now is back home with Quincy watching Spongebob Squarepants together or in the garage helping my dad fix cars. Instead I'm stuck here with my bestfriends.
Tk is sitting across from me with an oversized mint chocolate latte in hand, slurping it loudly to taunt me. He's drinking it like the overgrown child he is, doing it over and over again all while gazing straight at me, clearly waiting for me to complain. Beside him is Jakoda drinking coconut milk tea from the same glass with the girl he was with at the party last night. They're even sharing one straw. As he takes a sip, the girl's lips follow suit, the actions synchronized and almost dance like.

Malin is opposite me sipping his lemonade like a sane person. We both need new friends, Jakoda and Tk are insane.

"You two should grow the fuck up. You're so annoying!" My voice comes out louder than I intended attracting attention from everyone in the cafe who turn around in their chairs to glance at me. The girl next to Jakoda gets startled, clutching his shirt tightly and he holds her close to him as if my voice has hurt her. So fucking dramatic. "Why're you so calm like you can't see this shit?" I ask Malin while pointing at the two idiots.

"They must have been flung against a wall when they were young." He shrugs and we both burst out in laughter, Tk and Jakoda glaring at us.

Fishing out a joint and lighter from my jacket pocket I hold them securely in my hand, putting the joint between my lips. Glancing up I find my bestfriends' eyes on me, staring at me as if I've gone crazy. "Are you nuts, you can't smoke in here." Malin whispers as I try lighting the joint. I rarely smoke, I only do when I'm uneasy. My dad doesn't even know I smoke.

My eyes settle on Jakoda and the girl again, how they're smiling at each other with the girl giggling constantly in his arms and leaning in to his touch. Tomorrow he'll do these exact shit with another girl after tossing this one aside and completely forgetting about her.

The door bell jingles signalling another customer entering and it's Mia who looks around the room and our eyes meet. Her smile alluring, she prowls in her floral high heels like a model catwalking on the runway, a powerful walking style she's already accustomed to. Her silky hair shines under the bright lights, the dress revealing her tonned and tanned long legs with all eyes in the room hooked on her. She has some good news to share with me so I told her where I am so she can come over. Reaching our table she greets my bestfriends before smiling at me. "The presentation went so well and the professor was happy. I was nervous at first but relaxed and did my best. I'm so proud of myself now."

"You're this ecstatic over a mere class presentation?" Jakoda asks her and the girl next to him snickers.

"Yes I'm ecstatic over a class presentation."

Not being able to stand my annoying bestfriends anymore, I get up leaving the cafe with Mia next to me. We stroll down the bustling street side by side, passersby stealing glances at her in admiration and some sneakily raising their smartphones snapping pictures of her. She only waves at them, her hand moving through the air in an elegant arc, a simple gesture that's so natural and she's accustomed to. Acknowledging her fans has become second nature to her. "You're insanely famous and popular, everywhere we go multitudes of people are always staring at you and paparazzi following you around." I laugh softly as she waves back at a couple who have waved at her.

"It's because of my past career and family's legacy. I'm pretty much accustomed to all the overwhelming attention now." We continue our leisure walk, the symphony of whispers and camera clicks following our every move.

"Damn, this man looks so fine." Mia and I hear a woman whisper to her friends as they walk past us clearly checking me out. Feeling awkward I bite my lower lip as Mia nudges me and laughs softly.

"I know right, he's so mesmerizing." One of the woman's friends whispers back while waving at me and I wave back after hesitation.

I hate awkward situations like this when strangers stare at me and check me out, complementing me constantly. It happens alot yet I'm still not used to it. Wanting to escape from all the attention, I hold Mia's hand and we hurry down the street.

"Since you did well on your presentation today, I want to treat you to icecream that you love so much." I tell her and she squeals happily like the crazy girl she is. "Take it as a reward." She squeezes my hand hurrying more down the street and entering an icecream shop.

Sliding into the furthest booth in the corner, Mia and I sit opposite each other making our orders and her strawberry icecream sundae with cream and wafers is brought. She shoves a huge scoop of the sweet cold treat in her mouth, totally forgetting about everything around her. My gaze lingers on her for longer as I watch her every move finding them all cute even though to other people they're only normal reactions. Like how she tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear, taps her feet on the floor, fiddles with the sleeves of her dress to distract herself, crosses her legs in concentration, averts her gaze when our eyes meet, ignores me when I tease her, snorts when laughing at the random and stupid things I say and the way her eyes sparkle when she's talking about something she loves. Her every action fascinates me.

A waiter placing a bowl of chocolate icecream sundae with chocolate syrup and sprinkles on the table snatches my attention away from the beauty infront of me as I glance at the icecream. Mia specifically told them the toppings to add on it. "Good right?" She looks at me as I taste the sweet treat, nodding and giving her a thumbs up.

"Let me tell you one of my secrets." I whisper and she moves closer. "I know how to make icecream from scratch."

"That's so awesome." Mia shouts clapping her hands as I laugh at how cute she is. I'm beginning to be more open with her and can talk to her about many things without holding back.

I can't help but laugh at how hungrily she's eating the icecream as if she has never had it before. "Can I have some of that?" Pointing at the strawberries that are part of her icecream toppings, she picks one, holding it out to me so I can take a bite but I snatch it from her instead, eating it myself and she laughs softly. "I have a surprise for you that I've been working on this past month. I'm sure you'll love it."

"What is it?"

"If I tell you what it is then it won't be a surprise anymore. All I can reveal right now is, it's in the den."

"I loved being in your den, can I come over again today?" Mia asks before I can ask her myself. Quincy will be going to a sleepover tonight and my dad will come back late so no one will ask me questions about her.

"I was about to ask you to come over actually." I eat my icecream giving her some because I can already feel the brain freez. I rarely eat cold treats.

Mia finishes all the icecream and I pay before we leave together getting in the car and driving to her apartment. She packs a few essentials in her backpack that she'll need tomorrow morning and I drive back home, making a stop at the grocery store to shop. My dad has been busy lately so I want to do this for him. With the shopping carts in hand, Mia helps me pick everything I need. I've done shopping with my dad so many times that now I know exactly what to buy, it's wired in my brain.

"Let me tell you another one of my secrets." Picking one of the kiwifruits I show it to Mia. "I hate kiwifruits but my dad always insists that my sister and I have to eat them because they're healthy and nutritious."

"He's right, kiwifruits are healthy and nutritious" She takes the kiwifruit from me looking at it. "Actually they aid in digestion. I do add them in my green smoothies occasionally."

"What about this?" I pick one of the pomegranates holding it out to her.

"Pomegranates have anti aging properties, improves immunity and memory, lowers stress levels and soothes stomach infections." Mia states and chuckles looking away. She has not mentioned some other benefits that she clearly knows, judging by the look on her face.

"Pomegranate is an aphrodisiac." I say and she nods, smiling shyly at me. "It heightens sex drive."

"Same to oysters. I don't like seafood though. That's another one of my secrets."

"I love seafood." She mentions as we walk down the aisles. "Aria is the only person I've known that doesn't like seafood. You're now the second one."

"I'm not allergic to it, I only don't like it."

After making the payments we carry the shopping bags to the car. Arriving home we enter the house only to hear my dad and sister's loud voices sounding from upstairs. I wasn't expecting to find them here. Mia slips off her high heels cradling them in her hands and tip toes directly to the den before they can see her, trying her best not to make a sound. I don't want to be asked questions about who I brought home. Dad comes downstairs with Quincy as I put the shopping away in the cabinets and we do our handshake, Quincy hugging me. I always look forward to coming back home to my family.

"You bought a lot of stuff." Dad picks some of the bags of groceries helping me put them away.

"I got paid at the restaurant today so I decided to buy groceries." My part time jobs help me alot in assisting my dad pay and cover the bills in the house.

"Don't spend all your money on shopping. Keep some for yourself." He takes out his wallet fishing out a lot of money placing them in my hand. "Add this to the ones you have. I know you need money to do one or two things in school and with your friends. It's your allowance so keep it."

We cook dinner together, Quincy doing her homework at the dining table. Leaving dad to continue cooking I join my sister to help her with the homework. "Why're you acting so weird today, more than usual?" She squints her eyes at me, tapping her pencil on the table. I've been staring at the door to the den constantly hoping Mia doesn't come out.

Picking her pencil I guide her in solving the math. "You ask too many questions."

Dad gets done with cooking and sets the table, the three of us eating together. Mid eating I catch him stealing glances at me a number of times trying to be sneaky but I can obviously see it. "Why're you so jumpy, what are you hiding?"

"Nothing. This food is delicious, you're an excellent cook."

"Lucas is hiding something." Quincy chimes in. "I know him, he's lying to us."

Dad's scrutinizing gaze lingers on me for a while before he picks his spoon going back to eating. I wash the dishes once we're done and clean the kitchen as he takes Quincy to her bedroom to tuck her in. She isn't going to the sleepover tonight and will do so tomorrow instead.

In the den I find Mia on the bed fast asleep with the heavy and soft comforters wrapped warmly around her body. Not wanting her to sleep on an empty stomach, I wake her up to eat and she does before going to the kitchen to wash the plate and cutlery she has used herself, not wanting me to do it for her. My dad comes back downstairs just as Mia and I enter the den and he squints his eyes at me as I quickly shut the door. "You're sneaking around the house and acting strange. What are you upto and who are you hiding in there that you don't want me to meet. Do you have a guest?" He smiles crossing his arms against his chest, waiting eargely for my answer.

"No. I was thirsty so I went to the kitchen to get water to drink, that's all." I lie trying to sound convincing.

"I restocked the mini fridge in your den earlier today and added more bottles of water inside." Dad's eyes narrow at me and I remain silent not knowing what to say next, unable to come up with another lie. "It's late and you need to rest. Goodnight and sleep well." He hugs me and goes back upstairs clearly knowing that I'm up to something. My dad can read me like a book.

Sitting on the couch, Mia climbs on the bed ready to sleep. "Are you in trouble with your dad because of me?"

"No. I never bring girls home, you're the first. If my dad finds out you're here, he's going to ask so many questions and want to know everything. Like how we met, who you are and shit like that but I'm not ready to answer all those questions right now. Come with me, let me show you the surprise I have for you." I get up and she does the same, following me closely behind. Opening another door we enter my art room. "You asked me to paint a blue butterfly and since I didn't have enough time that day, I painted a small one. I decided to paint a bigger one for you this time." Unwrapping the canvas I reveal the big blue butterfly painting to her.

This artwork took me a long time to paint even though it should have taken less. I wanted it to be perfect for Mia even though I know perfection doesn't exist. I guess I want to impress her and make her happy. She's a woman I like everything about. From her smile that melts my heart and I look forward to seeing every time we meet, her laugh that's the sweetest melody and soothes my soul to her deep brown eyes that light up and make me forget about all my troubles. Every single part of her draws me in in a way I've never experienced before and when she's in my arms, I'm filled with calmness and peace.

Mia remains silent, her eyes sorely the painting. "You don't like it?" I can't help but ask because of her silence.

Mia doesn't answer and instead hurries to where I'm standing, wrapping her arms around me in a warm and tight hug. My body stiffens at the touch, my heart hammering against my chest that's now heaving. She pulls back to look at me in the eyes, her gaze alluring as she grins at me and slowly my body relaxes at her touch. I don't understand this weird feeling I get whenever she's close and looks into my eyes. It's something I've never felt before.

"Thank you." She rises to her tiptoes planting a kiss on my cheek, her lips soft against my skin. Then she draws me back into her embrace and my heart does a little dance as a smile curves on my lips, her body fitting right in my arms.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

AUTHOR'S RANT

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER
♥️IT'S OKAY TO DO THINGS ALONE♥️

The blue butterfly artwork is of this sort.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 99.5K 40
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
1.8M 141K 63
"ရှင်သန်ခြင်းနဲ့သေဆုံးခြင်းကြား အလွှာပါးပါးလေးကိုဖြတ်ကျော်ခါနီးမှာမှ ငါမောင့်ကိုစွန့်လွှတ်တတ်ဖို့ သင်ယူနိုင်ခဲ့တယ်၊ လူတွေက သံသရာမှာ ရေစက်ရယ်၊ဝဋ်ကြွေး...
1M 15.3K 38
Ivy Williams had always aspired to complete her university journey without any interruptions or complications. However, not even two months into her...
703K 40.8K 35
|ROSES AND CIGARETTES Book-I| She was someone who likes to be in her shell and He was someone who likes to break all the shells. "Junoon ban chuki ho...