Against The Tide (Formerly Tw...

By deey_jah

In a world where tribal prejudice runs deep, Afrah Abdulmalik and Jameel Saif Albani find themselves bound by... More

INTRODUCTION
Disclaimer/Sneak peek
1: The Covenant
2: A Broken Vow
3: Matters Of The Heart
4: Red Mist
6: Confrontations
7: Inferiority Complex
8: Once Bitten, Twice Shy
9: A Bolt From The Blue
10: An Extra Mile.
11: On Cloud Nine
12: Like A Cakewalk
13: Wedding Bells
14: Up A Creek Without A Paddle
15: Hook, Line And Sinker
16: A New Phase
17: The Lion's Den
18: Head Over Heels
19: When In Rome, Act Like A Roman
20: Raining On His Parade
21: Heart On Sleeve
22: JaFrah
23: Ignorance Is Bliss
24: Drawing The Line
25: Command, Not Request
Afrah/Najah (poll result🌚)
26: Coming Clean
27: Homesick
28: Perfect Imperfections
29: It's Always Darkest Before The Dawn
30: Sink Or Swim
31: You Can Only Lead A Horse To Water
32: All Hell Breaks Loose
33: Love Is Not Enough
34: You Can't Beat A Child And Prevent Him From Crying
35: Chasing Pennies With Dollars
36: In The Doldrums
37: Going Through The Roof
38: Lovey Dovey
39: A Bun In The Oven
40: Bittersweet
41: Nuts And Bolts
42: Cheesed off
43: Battle Of Nerves
44: Triggered
45: From Darkness To Dawn
46: A Fork In The Road
47: Ticked Off
48: Sweet Melody
49: Cold Sweat
50: A Bitter Pill To Swallow
51: Rising From The Ashes
52: A Pillar Of Strength
53: A New Dawn
54: Love And Acceptance
55: Things Fall Apart
56: Bridging Gaps
57: Fading Light
58: A Dance Of Affection
59: Deep-rooted Emotions
60: In A Strange Land
61: Like A Tornado
62: Rough Patch
63: A Line In The Sand
64: In A Quandary
65: Heart In Shambles
66: Elusive Concept
67: Stuck In Limbo
68: Good Old Days
69: A Lost Battle
70: Calling It Quits
71: Letting Go
72: Backed Against The Wall
73: Ego And Pride
74: Shattered Walls
75: The Price Of Pride
76: A Fresh Start
77: Solitary Whispers
78: The Blame Game
Announcement !!
79: Who Is Right?
80: Seeds Of Reconciliation
81: Bruised But Not Broken

5: Aboveground

561 129 12
By deey_jah

I'm dedicating this chapter to ___ummiey 😘💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

JAMEEL

"Najah!" Jameel yelled, lifting his left hand to take a glimpse at the time. He was clad in a white Kaftan. "Aren't you done yet?"

"Just a minute!" Najah yelled back from the room.

Jameel heaved a sigh. "We're running lat—"

"I'm here!" Najah descended the stairs looking like a princess in her purple gown.

At the sight of his wife, Jameel's jaw dropped. He knew his wife was beautiful but she looked breathtaking in her dress. She had to be one of the most beautiful women he had ever come across.

Exquisite!

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "I was having a hard time choosing the jewelry that would go with my dress.

Jameel averted his gaze elsewhere and cleared his throat. "Shall we?"

"How do I look?" Najah's question was rushed. "Should I go with a different veil?"

"White looks fine on you." He replied. "you shouldn't change it."

"Okay..."

"Let's go?"

"Until you answer my question." She smiled sheepishly. "How do I look?"

Jameel gazed at her for a second or so before replying; "The same as always."

Najah pouted; obviously not expecting that reply from him.

"Let's go." Jameel walked out of the house, leaving Najah behind to follow suit.

Outside, Jameel was already seated in the car waiting for Najah so that they could leave. He didn't want to miss the daurin aure of his best friend, Asim.

Immediately Najah got into the car, he ignited it and drove off.

During the drive, Jameel was constantly stealing glances at his wife who had been eerily quiet.

He cleared his throat, but that didn't seem to catch Najah's attention.

"You're beautiful." Jameel blurted. "You're probably going to outshine the bride."

Najah blushed. "Why didn't you say that earlier?"

"I did," he replied. "You just didn't get it. Even without dressing up so much, you always look beautiful."

Najah couldn't stop the big smile that curled up her lips. "Thank you. You don't look bad yourself."

Jameel chuckled. "So you were actually waiting for me to compliment you before you would return the gesture?"

With a smile, she mumbled, "Of course."

Jameel chuckled, then shook his head.

"You look dashing because you decided to wear the Kaftan I chose," Najah smirked.

"Oh really? Maybe you should do that more often."

"Gladly." Najah flashed her teeth. "I'd gladly do that for you."

Jameel smiled; glad that Najah was getting much more comfortable around him after he confronted her about the attitude she had been giving him.

Najah had proven herself to be a good person. Jameel wished he could give their marriage a chance but he couldn't even though he believed Afrah was dead. The thought of it alone sounded like betrayal—betrayal to his JaFrah.

It was almost evening when they got back home. Asim had made sure to pack a lot of food for them.

Exhausted, Najah plopped down on the sofa and removed her veil. "Asim's wife seems very nice." She voiced.

"Oh!"

"We had the chance to speak and get to know a little about each other. I have a feeling we're going to be good friends. Asim is very lucky. Ilham is beautiful, yet she's not arrogant."

"She's also lucky," Jameel sneered. "Asim is not perfect, but he is a complete gentleman."

"They are both lucky," Najah smiled. "I didn't expect Asim to get married this soon."

Jameel furrowed his brows and sat beside her on the sofa, making sure to leave a distance between them. "Why?"

"Because you never mentioned to me that he had anyone."

"I don't discuss Asim that much with you." He pointed out.

"Yeah, but—" she cut herself off. "Anyways, I'm so happy for the both of them. I look forward to being friends with Ilham. I don't have any friends in the city."

Jameel narrowed his eyes at her. "I see you don't want me as your friend anymore."

"Of course I do," she laughed. "No matter how many new friends I make, you will be my best, so don't worry, nobody is about to take your spot." She winked.

Jameel chuckled. "Are you sure?"

"One hundred percent," she replied. "It's a promise, and I don't break promises only untrustworthy people do."

Jameel's demeanor instantly morphed into a gloomy one. He felt attacked.

"I—"

Jameel stood. "I will be in the room."

"Ja—" before she could call his name he had begun to walk away.

Saddened, she sat back down and puffed out her cheeks.

Jameel slammed the door behind him and reclined against it. His heart was thumping aggressively in his chest. His mood was completely ruined. He didn't know why Najah's words affected him that much.

Only untrustworthy people do.

Jameel knew she was right but did she have to say it to his face?

"Jameel?" Najah called from the other side of the door, turning the doorknob. "Please open the door."

Jameel moved away from the door, making it possible for Najah to push it open.

Jameel walked to his bed and sat. "If you came to apologize, please don't, you..." His voice trailed at the sight of Najah holding her ears and squatting, then standing up. She was doing it repeatedly and fast. "What are you doing?"

"I won't stop punishing myself until you forgive me for being so insensitive."

"There was no lie in what you said. I'm indeed untrustworthy."

Najah didn't say anything. Instead, she continued with what she was doing.

"Najah," Jameel called. "I told you to stop."

"And I said I won't stop until you forgive me."

"Who even told you that I am offended?"

"I don't need to be told." Her breaths were now emerging in ragged pants due to the vigorous exercise. "your facial expression says it all."

"Okay," Jameel sighed. "I forgive you. Can you stop now?"

She shook her head. "I don't believe you."

Jameel walked over to her and held her shoulders, restricting her from squatting some more. "That's enough, Najah."

Najah stared into his eyes, entranced.

"Look how badly you're sweating." He led her to his bed and made her sit in it. "I will get a kerchief."

Jameel returned and handed the handkerchief to her. "Here."

"Have you truly forgiven me?" She asked, blinking severally.

He occupied the space beside her. "Yes."

"Sincerely? Okay...I want you to prove it by giving me your biggest smile."

Jameel chuckled at her words.

Triumphantly, Najah smiled. "You're one of the nicest and most trustworthy person I have ever met, Jameel. Never doubt yourself please."

Jameel smiled. His wife's words made him feel a lot better than earlier. "Thank you."

"What does that mean?" She scrunched up her face. "Thank you isn't in my dictionary as a friend."

"I really appreciate you, Najah."

"Now that you're done sulking, do you want something to eat?"

"No, thanks. You can go ahead and eat."

"Alright."

"Najah?" Jameel knocked on her door.

Almost immediately, Najah opened the door; her eyes half-opened.

"Good morning..." Jameel greeted. "I've decided to take up your offer of picking my outfits. Which should I go with?" He asked, showing her two shirts; white and green.

"White."

Jameel furrowed his brows. "Why always white?"

"Because it's my favorite color," she grinned. "Plus, the color looks good on you."

Jameel smiled. "Alright then, the white it is."

Najah smiled too. "Are you leaving for work already?"

"Yes."

"Let me at least make you breakfast."

"No, Najah," he declined the offer. "I really have to go now. I have a lot to do at the office today. It's recruitment day."

"Oh, okay."

"I might return late. Don't wait up for me."

Najah gave a small smile in response.

"Bye, and," Jameel lifted the white shirt. "Thanks."

Immediately Jameel walked into his office, his secretary, Daniel came in with a pile of files.

"Good morning, sir," Daniel greeted, putting the files on his desk. "These are the resumés."

"Thanks, Daniel," Jameel opened the first file and started going through it. "You can go."

Daniel nodded and walked out of the office.

Jameel reclined backward in his swivel chair and puffed out his cheeks. He hadn't even started working, but he was already feeling tired. He had a lot to do.

The ringtone of his phone pulled him out of his trance.

He received and took the phone to his ear. "Angon Ilham!"

"Angon Najah!"

Jameel rolled his eyes but didn't say anything in objection. "What's up? Honeymoon is not over?"

"Far from over," he replied. "I took a leave of absence at the office. It's a thirty-day thing."

Jameel chuckled. "Enjoy your time with your wife."

"Definitely. I'm planning a surprise getaway for both of us. We've been having a lot of visitors and I don't like it. These people don't understand privacy."

Jameel could sense the irritation in his pal's voice. He suppressed a laugh. "You can't chase them away."

"That is why I want us to get away. For a week or so."

"Nice idea. When and where do you plan to take her?"

"Paris." He answered. "She has mentioned it to me before that it's one of the countries she wishes to visit after marriage."

"Nice!"

"I plan for us to leave next week."

Jameel adjusted his posture on his seat. "I wish you a safe flight, bro."

"Thanks, bro." He paused for a while. "Maybe the next time we're going on a trip, you and Najah can come along. It'd be a double date."

Jameel chuckled. "No, thanks. Najah and I aren't interested. Besides," he added. "I'm busy with work. I can just leave everything behind and go on a vacation."

"We will talk about this later, Jameel," Asim said in a serious voice.

Jameel snorted. "Bye, bro."

Ending the call, Jameel threw the phone on his desk and heaved a sigh.

Double date?

He couldn't help but chuckle at the ridiculous offer. No way was he going to take it up.

Jameel shifted his attention back to the pile of files in front of him and resumed going through them.

Four hours later, Jameel had gone through almost half of the documents.  "Daniel," Jameel called through the intercom. "Come to my office right away."

In less than a minute, Daniel was already standing in front of him.

"So, I have gone through their CVs and selected a few people that would be called in for an interview tomorrow." He gestured at the files in front of him. "These."

"Alright, sir."

"And this," Jameel continued, pointing to the files at the extreme edge of his desk. "Have been rejected. They don't have the potentials I seek for."

Daniel nodded, taking note.

"And this," Jameel pointed to the last pile of files. "I haven't even gone through them, and I don't think I will be able to do that anymore. I have selected more than enough. The documents should be given back to their owners to look for jobs elsewhere."

"Okay, sir."

Jameel was busy with some paperwork when he heard a ruckus just outside his office.

He pressed the intercom. "What's going on there?"

"A lady is busy causing a commotion here because her application was declined. She's requesting to see you, and I told her she can't see you without booking an appointment. She's been acting unruly and threatening to beat us up."

"Uncivilized people everywhere," Jameel muttered. "Why haven't you called security to have her thrown out?"

"I have, but they are taking a long time to come here," Daniel replied.

"Don't allow—"

"Mister whatever you call yourself, why don't you allow me in so that you can tell me why my application was rejected? You must be a coward!"

Jameel froze; his blood completely running cold. So many things were going through his head but not a single one he could grasp.

"Are you hesitating? If truly you love me, you wouldn't hesitate. This is a sacrifice we have to make for the sake of our love."

"I love you, AFrah'sjaMEEL."

"Wait!" Jameel yelled. "Let her in."

"Sir?"

"Are you deaf? I said. Let. Her. In." Jameel enunciated his words through gnashed teeth.

"Okay."

Jameel's heart thumped aggressively in his chest. He could practically hear the sound in his ears. He rubbed his sweaty palms together and took in a deep breath to calm his raging nerves. "Jameel, you're just hallucinating. It can't be."

"Why was my application rejected? I have all of the requirements. I demand an answer right now, mister!"

For a second, Jameel's heart ceased beating. He swallowed the incredibly huge ball of nerves in his throat. His blood had completely run cold. For a reason, he could neither talk nor turn around to see the person behind the voice. He was afraid of having his hopes up and shattering them all over again. He wouldn't be able to bear it. His wounds hadn't even healed yet. He didn't want to inflict more wounds on himself. Afrah had died and there was no way she was standing behind him in his office.

With that thought lingering in his mind, he turned around.

Jameel's eyes bulged out of their sockets, and he could feel his blood draining from his body.

Afrah?

"Af...rah?" He voiced; his lips quivered as he spoke. "Afrah!" He staggered to where she stood motionless and engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug. "Afrah!"

"You really are irresponsible!" She tried to free herself from his death grip. "Take your hands off me!" She yelled and stepped on his feet, hard.

Immediately Jameel let her go, she slapped him across the face.

Assalamualaikum/hello!

Did you expect them to meet so soon?

What will happen to Najah?

Please don't forget to vote, comment and share ❤️

Follow me on Instagram and Wattpad @deey_jah

❤️❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 59.6K 40
"I will never marry you." I said in a low voice filled with venom. He moved close. His hands moved to my waist. His hold was firm. His face was so cl...
13.7K 1.7K 49
❝an honest heart is a kingdom in itself❞ ❃ Yaseerah Bako's world is thrown into chaos when an enigmatic figure en...
31K 7.7K 41
It has always been Larai's dream to go to school and become someone prominent in future. She dreams of meeting her Prince charming. She desires true...
Love and Lies By Bitsy

General Fiction

42.9K 3.2K 31
**SPIN OFF OF MARRIED TO MY BEST FRIEND** LOVE...The feeling that makes you feel complete. And once blessed with it, you do everything to cherish it...