Brighter Than The Stars: Book...

By oliviarose85

"We always have the North Star, M&M," Elijah reminded her. "It shines bright, just like you do. No matter whe... More

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓃𝑒: 𝐵𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝐹𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑜: ℰ𝓈𝒸𝒶𝓅𝑒
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒: 𝒟𝒶𝒹𝒹𝓎 𝒟𝑒𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓉
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇: 𝒞𝑒𝓁𝑒𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈 & 𝒮𝑜𝓇𝓇𝑜𝓌
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒: 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓃 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝓈𝓂
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍: 𝐿𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝑜 𝒜 𝐵𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝐹𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃: 𝒟𝑒𝒶𝓇 𝐸𝓁𝒾𝒿𝒶𝒽
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉: 𝒫𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝒫𝒶𝓇𝓉𝓎
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒: 𝑅𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝐼𝓃 𝐻𝑒𝓁𝓁
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝑒𝓃: 𝒩𝑜 𝒫𝓁𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝐿𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝐻𝑜𝓂𝑒
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐸𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃: 𝒟𝑒𝒻𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝒮𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓋𝑒: 𝒞𝑜𝒻𝒻𝑒𝑒 & 𝒫𝒽𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒞𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐿𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒟𝓇𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝑅𝑒𝓊𝓃𝒾𝑜𝓃
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝒾𝒻𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒲𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒽𝓎
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒜 𝒲𝒶𝓁𝓀 𝐼𝓃 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒩𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂 𝒞𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽𝑒𝓇
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒞𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈 𝐻𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎: 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈, 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒: 𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒪𝒻 𝒴𝑜𝓊
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝓌𝑜: 𝒢𝓊𝓈𝓈𝒾𝑒𝒹 𝒰𝓅
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒: 𝐹𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹𝓈 & 𝐹𝑜𝑜𝒹
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐼𝓃-𝐵𝑒𝓉𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓃
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒: 𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒪𝒻 𝒜 𝒲𝒽𝒾𝓉𝑒 𝒞𝒽𝓇𝒾𝓈𝓉𝓂𝒶𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝒾𝓍: 𝒲𝑒𝒶𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝓉𝑜𝓇𝓂
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃: 𝐸𝓉𝒸𝒽𝑒𝒹 𝒪𝓃 𝒴𝑜𝓊
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉: 𝒩𝑜 𝒫𝓁𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝐿𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝐻𝑜𝓂𝑒
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒: 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎: 𝒮𝒾𝓃𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝒞𝑜𝓃𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒪𝓃𝑒: 𝐼𝓂𝓅𝑜𝓈𝓈𝒾𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝒞𝑜𝓃𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝓌𝑜: 𝐿𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝒯𝑜 𝑀𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒: 𝐵𝓇𝑜𝓀𝑒𝓃 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇: 𝐹𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝐹𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒: 𝒲𝒶𝓁𝓀 𝒜𝓌𝒶𝓎
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝒾𝓍: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐹𝒾𝓃𝒶𝓁 𝒢𝑜𝑜𝒹𝒷𝓎𝑒
Alternate
Alternate 1.1
Alternate 1.2
Alternate 1.3
Alternate 1.4
Alternate 1.5
Alternate 1.6
Alternate 1.7
Alternate 1.8
Alternate 1.9
Alternate 1.10
Alternate 1.11
Alternate 1.12
Alternate 1.13
Alternative Direction To Version One: Part 1
Alternate Direction To Version One: Part 2
Second Alternate Direction To Version One: Part 1
Second Alternate Direction To Version One: Part 2
Second Alternate Direction To Version One: Part 3
Alternate
Alternate 2.1
Alternate 2.2
Alternate 2.3
Alternate 2.4
Alternate 2.5
Alternate 2.6
Alternate 2.7
Alternate 2.8
Alternate Direction To Version One: Part 4

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝐻𝑜𝓁𝒾𝒹𝒶𝓎 𝒫𝓁𝒶𝓃𝓈

1.6K 94 16
By oliviarose85

Her mom had found a nice bistro between their two homes that Madeline had to admit, she'd never noticed there. It had a French, trendy feel to it, with bright colors on the wall and fun furniture.

"So, Thanksgiving," her mom began as soon as the server left with their drink order. "I've already promised the guest bedroom to my parents, and my sister and her family are staying in the den, so I was thinking about getting you a hotel room for the weekend. That way, when you get overwhelmed by all my family, you have a quiet place to go to."

"I was actually thinking I'd just sleep in Maddie's room with her," Elijah confessed, looking across the table at her mom as he tapped his knuckle against the plate in front of him. "I mean, if that's cool with everyone. Not sure if that breaks any house rules, but-"

Her dad let out a quiet laugh. "We've never been given an opportunity to make up that sort of house rule before. Madeline's only actual boyfriend was back in high school. Since then, she's just kept her head in the books. If there's been anyone else since Martin Martin, they've never been important enough to bring home."

A smile took over Elijah's face as his eyes moved to Madeline beside him. "Martin Martin?"

"The kid used to say that if they ever got married, he'd change his last name to hers, so his name could be Martin Martin," her dad told him. "They dated for two and a half years, and he was completely in love with her. Probably still is. I'm sure you'll meet him. If she's home on break, that poor schmuck shows up, apologizing for something I don't dare ask about, and talking about how when college is over, they should give it another try. Nice enough kid, but he's living in a fantasy world if he thinks I'm ever going to give him permission to marry my daughter."

"Marty's living in a fantasy world if he thinks he'll get my permission," Madeline chimed in. "He's never taken the breakup seriously. He assumed when I told him I was done, I just needed a breather. I feel bad about it, because we were really good friends before we started dating, and my entire circle of friends from high school are attached to him.

"But my dad's right. I'm guessing you'll meet him. He seems to think that because we dated for so long, and are on friendly enough terms again, he's part of the family, even though my parents never much cared for him."

Elijah placed his elbows on the table and dropped his chin down to his clasped hands. "Well, when he shows up, I'll handle it."

"By doing what, exactly?" Madeline asked.

A smile took over his face. "That'll depend on him, won't it?"

"Well, onto the original topic," her mom said. "Yes, you can absolutely share a room with Maddie. Seems only fair, since the two of you do that anyhow. I'm honestly amazed by all this. Twelve years have passed, and you two are still completely comfortable with one another. You had a bond as kids, but I thought it would take some time to find that stride as adults. You two are probably more comfortable around each other now than you were back then."

Elijah unclasped his hands to reach for her own, giving it a small squeeze as his smile turned into a closed-lipped one. He took his time looking at her, and Maddie couldn't stop herself from feeling small butterflies in her stomach. Then he looked away. "I've always loved her, and always cared for her more than anyone, but I get what you're saying. When I was waiting for her to get home, I expected this weird reunion, where we wouldn't really know what to say to one another, and there'd be all these uncomfortable silences. We're both so much older now, and I wasn't sure how much that bond stuck.

"Once I opened my eyes and looked up at her, everything just sort of fell into place. It felt right. We still need to get to know each other. I get that. So much has happened in my life, and hers that we've missed. But that familiarity and trust never left."

Madeline knew her skin must have been pink from the warm feeling cascading through her body, but this time she wore it with pride as she placed a soft kiss against his cheek. She had had little time to prepare for seeing him in her home, but she had time to think about it once she stepped into the church for his dad's funeral.

She'd thought about how tightly she'd held onto him in her mind, wondering if he'd done the same, or if he'd finally given up and let her go. When he didn't show, she assumed that was his way of saying he let her go. Her father's words after the funeral didn't help matters.

But if he'd had shown up, would they still look at each other the same? Feel the same? Converse the same? Would they have to work toward building a newfound friendship, or would everything fall into place?

"Well, I can't say I wasn't worried for Maddie," her dad admitted. "When we didn't see you at the funeral, a part of me was grateful you left that life behind you, but the bigger part of me couldn't bear to see what it would do to her. Maddie will be mad at me for saying this, but so be it. Her smile was always a bit dimmer after you left. Every milestone just sort of drifted under the radar, because nothing was quite as important to her without you there to celebrate with her.

"I don't blame you for leaving, Elijah, and I wouldn't have blamed you for staying gone if that's what was best for you. But you coming back gave me back my daughter, and I'll always be grateful to you for that. Seeing her smile like this... let's just say I never thought I'd see it again."

Madeline was already looking down when she watched Elijah's hand pick up her own, and her eyes followed their travel up toward his lips. He placed one small kiss on her knuckles, then set her hand right back where he'd found it. "It's a good smile," was all Elijah said to that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 1K 75
In which two ex-step-siblings reconnect after just about blowing up their family the first time around... Three years ago, Maddie fell hard for Jacob...
350K 9.6K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
16.4K 1.1K 44
Everything about Elijah that was worth loving walked out the door of his apartment with Madeline, leaving him little more than a shell of a man. No a...