All I Need ✔️

By Chronically-Chaotic

"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me ont... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note Part 2
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Epilogue
Book 2!

Chapter 20

2.8K 138 51
By Chronically-Chaotic

Safania's POV

The next morning I woke up with a terrible headache. I grabbed my crutches and hobbled to the bathroom, where I proceeded to heave out the prior evening's dinner.

"My lady!" Emalina exclaimed as she entered the room and found me in my hungover state.

"I don't feel well," I said pathetically.

"The prince told me you might not," she said kindly. "Let's get you some water."

She brought over a canteen. Even the water tasted sour in my mouth.

"I don't like brandy," I said bitterly.

Emalina smiled. "Let's put you back to bed, alright?"

Emalina helped me back into bed, gave me another sip of water, and went to sit in the corner of the room.

"I'm sorry Emalina," I said.

"Don't be sorry," she said cheerfully. "This gives me time to work on my embroidery." She grabbed an embroidery hoop I hadn't noticed from the corner of the room and sat down at the table to stitch. I watched her for a few moments, then drifted into a restless sleep.

When I awoke, I noticed that Emalina was no longer at the table. Instead, it was Prince Cassius.

"I'm afraid I gave you too much to drink last night," he said, after seeing I was awake.

I didn't respond.

"What I gave you to help ease your pain ended up causing you more pain. I am truly sorry. I talked to Avus and he has restricted me from trying to heal you myself again. He brought some willow bark to chew. It can cause stomach problems, so you should do it after you eat, but apparently it works wonders."

I laughed.

"What's so funny?" the Prince asked, looking confused.

"My name - it means willow. It's just a funny coincidence."

"I see," Prince Cassius responded. He grabbed a plate and put it in front of me. I propped myself up in my bed and cautiously took a bite of eggs. Not only was my stomach surprisingly calm, but I was ravenously hungry.

"I'm sorry too," I said between bites of food.

"Sorry for what?"

"Sorry for what I said. It wasn't my place. I apologize."

"You're not wrong," the prince admitted, sitting next to me on my bed. "My father is putting a lot of pressure on me to get married. But whenever I hear the lords talk about their daughters or see portraits of my potential mates...all I can think about is what kind of life I'm sentencing them to."

I looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

"My father's wives all died. Which was fine for him, he was never that attached to any of them. When you're royal, people are constantly looking for your weaknesses. And wives are typically a way to get to the person you want to control. My brothers don't care about the women they're with either. But...I don't know. I just can't imagine taking a wife I don't respect and care about. Alterius married purely to solidify his claim to the throne, and now they're both miserable. Which, fine in the short run I suppose - Alterius has a solid claim to the throne and both of them are trying to produce heirs. But she's going to raise those heirs. And they're going to be cruel and manipulative just like her."

Cassius walked towards the window. "I don't want to be miserable. I want a wife that I trust with my life. Someone I know will raise my children to be good people. Because even if I were to be the best king that ever lived, if my children are horrific monsters that rule after me and undo everything I've done, what does it matter? But if I care about my wife, if I care about my children..."

"They become your biggest weakness. Which puts them at risk," I finished.

The prince looked at me with his piercing blue eyes. At that moment, I felt like I really understood him. The harsh, cool exterior was a façade for someone sweet, kind. Someone good. But someone who knew that if his kindness was ever discovered, it would inevitably be used against him.

Seemingly aware of how much he had given away in that moment, something snapped. "I know my duty. When it comes time to do what I need to do, I will do it. Whatever it is. There is nothing more important than my responsibility as a prince," he said sharply.

"Enough of this," Prince Cassius said, changing the subject. "Why don't we spend the afternoon in the library?"

"Your highness, I'm not dressed yet," I replied.

"I can help," he said with a smirk. My face flushed again. "No?" he said mockingly. "I'll call Emalina then. I'll meet you in the library when you're ready."

Emalina came into the room shortly after and helped me put on another new dress. I really appreciated her taste - classy, not too ostentatious. The embellishments were minimal, and when the dresses had them, they had a purpose. This dress, for instance, was a plain, dark pink silk, with a simple gold belt around the waist. It was extremely comfortable and light.

Emalina braided up my hair, took a step back, and smiled. "You are so beautiful," she said. "I know you hate it when I say that, so I'll just keep saying it until you don't hate it."

"Thank you Emalina," I said, only mildly irritated. I grabbed my crutches and hobbled off to the library.

When I arrived, the Prince was so engrossed in whatever he was reading that he didn't even look up. I looked through the various books on the shelves, when I spotted one on the history of the Perian Kingdom. That would be helpful to understand the dynamics of the castle, but I also couldn't let the Prince see me reading in Ledish.

I glanced over to find the Prince still fixated on his book, then quickly sandwiched the history book between two books from the Eirlin section, taking all three to a nearby desk. Flipping the book open, I began to read slowly, my reading comprehension far inferior to my listening comprehension. What sound did that little squiggle make? "Peria was founded by King Arasius in Year 62 after the Great War," I read.

I had only made it through ten pages when I heard footsteps. A new guard appeared in the doorway.

"Your highness," the guard said.

Prince Cassius looked up. "Yes?"

"His majesty the King requests your presence at dinner this evening."

The prince sighed. "I told my father that my first priority was tending to my wounded guest. I will be spending dinners with her."

"The King requests her presence as well," the guard replied.

"She is ill," he responded.

"His majesty understands that your guest has been confined to a wheelchair due to a leg injury. However, his majesty also understands that her injuries have healed to the point where she can ambulate on crutches. Therefore, it is possible for her to walk to dinner with you."

The prince looked like he was trying to figure out what to say.

"The King also told me you would likely try to figure a way out of this. Which is why he told me to tell you that he will not accept no as an answer."

Cassius sighed and looked at me. "I am truly sorry," he said to me in Eirlin, presumably so the guard couldn't overhear.

"Sorry for what, your highness?" I asked, confused.

Prince Cassius plastered a fake smile on his face. "Tell my father I send my regards, and that we will be pleased to join him this evening. And on your way back, please send in my maid."

"Of course," the guard replied.

The minute the doors closed, Cassius let out a string of angry curses.

"What is it? What's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"My family is...a lot to deal with," he replied. "I was trying to spare you as long as possible, but I knew it was a matter of time."

"What do you mean by a lot to deal with?" I asked, concerned.

At that moment, Emalina appeared in the doorway.

"Emalina, we're having dinner tonight with my family," Prince Cassius told the maid. Her eyes widened as she looked at me. Were they really that bad?

"I'll get to work, your highness," she said, curtseying and retrieving me.

"Get to work doing what?" I asked her.

"Dinner is only a few hours away, and you can't go dressed like that. I need to restyle your hair and get you ready in a new outfit."

"What's wrong with this?" I said meekly, lifting the comfortable gown I was currently wearing, as Emalina helped me up and pulled me along.

"While you're getting her ready, please prepare her as much as you can for what to expect," the Prince instructed Emalina. He walked up to me as Emalina was practically shoving me out the door. "I'll see you in a few hours Safania," he said, taking my hand and kissing it softly.

Everything seemed to freeze for a brief second. It felt like the skin he kissed was burning, as were my cheeks. As he lifted his head, we made a connection for the second time that day. I felt the hairs on my arms stand up as a chill ran through my body. "Let's go," Emalina insisted, pulling us apart.

"So what's the deal with that?" she asked as we hurried down the hall together.

"With what?" I asked.

"Don't try to play innocent. There's something going on between the two of you."

"He's just interested in figuring me out," I tried to reply nonchalantly. "I'm his latest puzzle to solve. That's all."

Emalina didn't respond, but I could see by her face that she didn't believe a word of it.

I wasn't sure that I did either.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 1 9
Enmae cannot forgive herself for the wrongs she committed that have ruined her life. Torn between wanting a simple happy life and knowing she is unde...
2.1K 194 14
"I thought you loved me" i said while controlling my tears from Stroming down. "I never said that" he said blankly staring me. "Then what was those...
182K 11.4K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
6.8K 253 26
Betrayed by her own kind, a young teenage girl finds herself at one of the kings worse death camps where she will work until she dies. But she is det...