Reunion at Sea

By ZoneRobotnik

Shortly after having a nightmare vision about him on an island filled with dark magic, Rapunzel meets the rea... More

Overboard
Ultimatum
Scars
Con
Hamlet
Cure
Goodberry
Nightmare
Feral
Into the Great Tree
Wither
Evil
Brothers
Hook
Heal
Storm
Suspicious
Mirror, Mirror
Top
Perfect
Puzzle
Cage
Plan
Stay
Run
Escape
Fortune
Inventor
Maze
Faith
Into the Dark Kingdom
Mad King
Moonstone
Rest and Relaxation
Restoration
Family
Seer
Amber
Neighbor
Secret
Warped
Town Meeting
Father
Rumors
Rise Up
Blood
Loyalty
His Story
Hollow
A Necessary Change
Old Friend
Something Strange
Precautions
Choice
Wolf
Talk It Out
Together
Rallying Call
Feathers
Therapy
Reprieve
The Return of the King
Strategy
Changes
Mother
Return
Heathens
Party
Strike
Dormant
Tense
Downtime
Mercenary
Truth
Nuru
Back to the Dark

Awakening

238 9 3
By ZoneRobotnik

Varian awoke the next morning and blinked blearily at the sounds of shifting rocks. He watched as the rocks curled around him uncurled and then slowly sat up, looking around. He didn't recognize this bedroom, but he got the feeling that it was made for him. Everything was made of black rocks, some blue like the ones making his surprisingly-soft blanket. He moved the blanket to the side and frowned down at himself, seeing his clothes had been changed. His rather relaxed outfit had been changed into a black tunic with a blue belt, black leggings, blue gloves that reached his elbows and knee-high boots. There was also a white cape wrapped around his shoulders, with the Brotherhood symbol on a black clasp connecting them together. He reached up and noticed his goggles had been replaced by a tiara, of all things, though he didn't know the color yet. Also, his hair was perpetually blue and white now.

"Sun, I hope this isn't permanent." He groaned, climbing out of bed. Ruddiger stirred and curled up, yawned, and climbed up onto his shoulders. "Well, let's go see if we can leave this room, huh, Ruddi?" He stepped down and walked over to the door, cringing at the way his new heels clicked on the floor. That was going to be annoying. "Come on, seriously?" He muttered. "Why couldn't you have just left my clothes alone?"

He sighed and pushed open the doors, finding with relief that they opened without trouble, and walked out into the hall of huge statues. He looked behind him and realized his obnoxious cape was trailing behind him a few feet, and also that it had the black brotherhood symbol repeating along the bottom and had a pattern similar to the black rocks all stacked together, only it was white.

"Oh, come on." He muttered, looking forward. "Uhh...which way to the dining room again?" He was feeling kind of hungry, what time was it? Maybe it was time for breakfast. He hoped so, at least.

"Varian, you're awake!" Eugene ran over to him, then stopped and laughed a bit.

"What?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing, nothing!" He snickered.

"Whaaaaat?" Varian put his hands on his hips.

"Okay, okay. You look like you took fashion advice from the Queen of Arendelle!" Eugene bust up laughing.

"Hey, I didn't pick this!" Varian argued. "The Moonstone did!"

Eugene just laughed harder. Varian glared at him before his expression softened a bit. "Yeah, okay." He sighed. "I guess it does look like I got fashion advice from Queen Elsa of Arendelle." He rolled his eyes.

Eugene nodded, snickering now. "It looks great, though! Magical clothing suits you!"

"Oh, bite your tongue. Is it time for breakfast yet? I'm hungry." Varian sighed heavily.

"Yeah, come on. I was on my way to see if I could wake you up." Eugene chuckled.

"As soon as I figure out how to manipulate the rocks, this stupid outfit is going. Or at least this dumb cape." Varian huffed, which only made Eugene burst into a fit of laughter again.

--

"Varian!" Rapunzel got up from her seat and ran over to hug him, then blinked and looked at his clothes. "Uhm--"

"I know, I know, I look ridiculous." Varian waved it off. "The whole 'magical makeover' is freaking me out, too."

"Well...it looks good!" Rapunzel giggled. "I've just never had to deal with something like this!"

"Yeah, well, your magic thing isn't sentient and apparently taking fashion advice from Queen Elsa of Arendelle." Varian rolled his eyes and Rapunzel giggled. "What's with this cape?!"

Of course, that sent Cassandra and Lance into fits of laughter and Varian huffed and walked over to the chair Hector pulled out for him. "Thanks, Uncle Hector."

Adira looked him up and down and then looked back at her food, clearly holding herself back from saying something about it.

"Did you sleep well?" King Edmund asked pleasantly.

"Yeah, thanks." Varian nodded. "So, what'd I miss?"

Rapunzel sat back down with Eugene sitting next to her. "Well, uhm..." she cleared her throat, "I made a very big decision while you were asleep."

"What, did you finally agree to his proposal?" Varian asked jokingly.

"Well, uh, no, not yet." Rapunzel laughed awkwardly. "I'm going to start a revolution in Corona."

Varian paused and looked up at her. "...Princess, that is way more treason than stealing the withered Sundrop Flower."

"I know, I know." She nodded. "But, we all talked about it and we decided that my father cannot remain on the throne after all that he has done since...since my birth. But, if I just try to confront him, he'll lock me away and go after you! So, we're going to work with the people and turn them against him, throw him off the throne by the will of the people."

"And put Rapunzel on the throne, Long Live Queen Rapunzel!" Lance cheered, raising his glass.

"Long Live Queen Rapunzel!" Cassandra and Eugene raised their glasses.

Shorty mumbled something into his drink that sounded like a vague slurred attempt to copy them.

"We've already started working with the Saporians and Lady Caine's group. I considered talking to Trevor, but...I don't want him to actually bring his troops in. It might be a good place for you and your father to live, though, so you're safe!"

"I'm not running." Varian said firmly. "If you're going to be in Corona, so will I. I'm not afraid of him anymore and I'm joining this revolution." He grinned. "Besides, you might need the services of a skilled alchemist and, while the Saporians are great, Andrew said that I'm the greatest he's seen since Demanitus. Even Demanitus was impressed!

Rapunzel nodded. "Okay, then. Speaking of Andrew, he's going to be sending an airship as soon as we're ready to head back. We'll pick up the caravan, bearcats and Callan on the way. I mean, that is, if you want to come back with us, Hector?"

"Is that even a question, Princess?" He raised an eyebrow. "I'm going to be with my family."

"And I have had enough of this castle for some time. I will be going with you as well." King Edmund nodded.

"Oh...great." Eugene muttered.

Varian poked at his food. "Can I ask a weird question?"

"Go ahead." Rapunzel smiled.

"What color is this circlet-tiara-whatever it is on my head? I can't see it." Varian tapped it.

"Oh! It's white, like your cape." Rapunzel assured him.

"Figures." He went back to his food.

"Speaking of the cape, maybe we could go visit the Queen of Arendelle sometime!" Rapunzel giggled.

"Sure, sometime. Maybe after the revolution." Varian nodded.

"Right!" Rapunzel nodded. "So, uhm, whenever you feel ready, we can contact Andrew and they'll send over the airship."

"I'm ready anytime." Varian assured her. "Uhm, where's my bag?"

"I got it." Lance assured him. "You left it in the dining room, don't worry."

"Good." Varian nodded. "I was worried it got changed into this cape."

"More likely your vest." Eugene snickered.

"Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, Your Highness." Varian rolled his eyes.

Rapunzel gasped as Eugene stopped short. "That's right! We need to celebrate you meeting your dad! Oh, I bet you have a crown, too!"

"He does!" King Edmund confirmed with a smile.

Maximus and Fidella came over to the table and Adira got up to feed them apples. Maximus paused and looked at Varian with a raised eyebrow before he went back to his food.

"Yeah, yeah." Varian rolled his eyes. "'Magical makeover'."

Maximus knickered appreciatively as he continued to eat.

--

Varian pulled the mirror out of his bag and sighed, mentally preparing himself for more commentary on his appearance. Then he tapped the surface twice and said, "Andrew."

The mirror glowed and Andrew's image appeared in it. "Hey, look who's up! The hair's new."

"Yeah, I don't know how to shut off the glowing." Varian sighed. "I'm sure it'll come to me, Rapunzel isn't always glowing. Anyways, yeah, I'm awake, I'm okay. Got some new clothes, everyone thinks they're hilarious, but otherwise I haven't changed too much."

"How do you feel?" Andrew asked.

"I feel..." he smiled softly, "complete. Like...like I've been an incomplete puzzle for my whole life and all the pieces came together and now I can see the full picture. There's so much power running through my veins, and I feel...amazing."

"Good to hear. Do you need the airship sent over?" Andrew chuckled.

"Yes, please." Varian smiled. "Will you be on it?"

"I will." Andrew promised. "Me and Lady Caine both."

Varian grinned. "Awesome. How long will you be?"

"To get from here to the Dark Kingdom will probably take a day. That alright?"

Varian nodded. "Yeah, we can hang out here another day."

"Great. I'll tell everyone we can set off, then. See you tomorrow." Andrew smiled warmly. "I'm proud of you, kid. You faced the odds and you reached your goal."

"Not yet." Varian shook his head. "My dad's not free yet. But...soon. I just know that he'll be free soon."

"I can't wait to meet him. See you tomorrow, buddy." He cut off contact and Varian sighed before he put the mirror back into his bag.

"So?" Eugene asked.

"It'll be a day, but the airship's on the way." Varian assured them.

"Perfect, we have time to get to know each other!" King Edmund said cheerfully. "Oh, I should go get your crown!" He ran out of the room.

"I didn't say I wanted it!" Eugene called after him, but he was already gone.

"Aw, but I want to see you wear it." Rapunzel said, kissing him. "Come on."

Eugene sighed. "Alright, but just for you, Sunshine."

"I reserve the right to laugh if it looks ridiculous." Varian said, walking over to them.

"That's fair." Eugene smirked.

"Seriously, stop smirking before I punch you with my glamorous new gloves." Varian threatened, but he grinned at the end of it and Eugene was falling into a fit of laughter.

Cassandra walked over to him. "So, uh, what are these made of, anyway?" She asked.

"The black rocks, but they're so finely crushed together that it feels as soft as sand." Varian said, holding out his arm for her to feel it. "You should feel my blanket, it's amazingly comfortable."

"Are you asking her into your bedroom?" Eugene teased while Lance let out a scandalized gasp.

Varian looked annoyed. "Alternately, if you don't think that's a good idea, my cape feels just as comfortable."

Cassandra chuckled and gripped the cape. "It does feel soft. Wow."

King Edmund came back out carrying a crown in his hand and a cape draped over his arm. He put both on Eugene while he was facing away from him, startling him, and then stood back proudly.

The cape was dark purple and black and long and, like Varian's, had a Brotherhood clasp. The crown was black with purple jewels like Edmund, only it was more like a circlet or tiara than a crown.

Varian raised an eyebrow and then snickered. "Hey, look, we match."

Eugene sputtered and looked at himself. "No one said anything about a cape! And why isn't it furred like yours?!" He looked at King Edmund.

"This is my battle cape!" King Edmund explained. "Besides, this cape is one that your mother made for you when you were still in the womb." He smiled fondly.

"My...mother?" Eugene looked at it. "...I guess it's not so bad, then."

"Yeah, speaking of mothers, I would have preferred my goggles not be transformed." Varian grumbled.

"It's okay, Varian, I'm sure your goggles are perfectly fine under all the magic." Rapunzel assured him.

"Yeah, well, I'll have words with the Moon later." Varian waved it off.

"Well, uhm, since you have a day, why don't I show you around the place?" King Edmund offered. "Also, uhm...Princess Rapunzel, if you wouldn't mind, the Moonstone...damaged a lot of the ground. I wonder if you might be willing to--"

"To heal it?" Rapunzel smiled. "Of course!"

Varian smiled. "You can heal now?"

"Mmhm!" Rapunzel nodded. "I tested it out yesterday after you went to sleep, then healed Adira."

"That's great!" Varian grinned and hugged her, then gasped and stood back. "But if your father finds out, he's going to freak."

"So, he won't find out." She shrugged. "As far as he'll know, it's just the same as before."

"Just don't go using it as a shield again." Cassandra reminded her.

"We haven't actually tested that yet." Rapunzel admitted. "And...I'm kind of afraid to. Being blonde has been part of my identity since...since I was born. It doesn't feel right to go back to brown."

"It's your choice, Sunshine." Eugene smiled. "I only cut it in the first place to free you from Gothel."

"Well, I'm going to leave it long for now." She nodded.

"At least it's not glowing." Varian flicked his own hair.

Rapunzel giggled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 871 20
Just about 1 year after his fall and arrest, Varian alone in the darkness of his cell, longs for one thing. Meanwhile Cassandra's now endless power r...
12.1K 367 28
!Cassarian fanfic! We've said it here so dont complain It gets better the further you go, so please give it a chance! :) Strong language No one was...
18.9K 552 23
When a young boy who lost his mother at a young age and was then blamed for it for almost 7 years, is finally rescued from the abuse and harm, finds...
24.9K 707 13
After an accident that results in injury, Varian struggles returning to normal life. Little did he know that was only the beginning of his troubles...