Game of Thrones || The Sword...

By RickyAdams9

UNDER MAJOR EDITING AT THE CURRENT TIME* Ser Arthur Dayne of Starfall was the greatest knight the Seven Kingd... More

Cast
Dawn
Stories
"The Man Who Passes the Sentence Should Swing the Sword"
The Runts of the Litter
The King's Arrival
The Kingslayer
A Dothraki Wedding and Honeymoon
Words of War
Wishful for a Good Fight or Death
Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things
Wolves, Lions and Excuses
A Golden Crown and Bloodied Hands
Betrayal of the Obvious Traitor
The Cry for War
Planning
The Green Fork
The Whispering Woods
The Quiet Wolf put to Rest
The King in the North
The Bleeding Star
"You hold the reigns"
A Dayne at War
On The Move
To Finally See Her Grace
To Conquer a Mountain
Riling the Lion
Talk of Victory and Life
The Prideful Little Lion
The Second Battle of the Ruby Ford
The Black Lion Roars
A Dayne, A Lion, and Second Sons
Work That Leads to Nothing
Cornered
The Plan
Jenny of Oldstones
"Make It Yours"
Battle of the Flood Bowl
A Brother and Sister Reunited
Staines That Do Not Wash
A Frey and a Trout
Distractions
A Red Wedding
A Sign in the Stars
"You want it darker"
Cider and Dead Kings
The Red Mountains
Starfall
Blood of my Blood
Deadly Secrets
Dragon Troubles
Darkstar
The Dayne Slayer
Breakthrough
The Sword of the Morning
East
Angry Snakes
The Art of Compromise
Dragon Dreams
Stone Men of Old Valyria
"Slavery-free" City of Yunkai
A Different Kind of Cat
A Dance With a Dayne and a Dragon
Horselords
The Champion of the Braided Bloodrider
Past Events and Unspoken Emotions
Reborn Through Fire and Blood
Bloodriders for Her Majesty
A Forgotten Will
Love Under the Stars
A New Dawn
A City on the Rise
A Brave New World
Dragonstone
The King in the North Arises Once More
"What You Would Do If You Lost"
"Never Let Go"
The Bait
The Battle of Shipbreaker Bay
The Queen of the Torrentine
Siege
Old Vendettas
The Song of the North
No Mercy
Lost Enough
A Brother and Sister Reunited II
A New War
The Mormont Returns
Secrets and Banter
A Promise
Fall
"The Monsters Are Real"
Warm Again
What They Have
Set Dates
What They Need
Deal Broker
A Knight, A Warrior, and A Lover At Heart
The North Remebers
Slow Dancing
The Lords and Ladies of the North
The Key
Prophecies
Oathkeeper
Ghosts of Winters Past
The Wary She-Wolf
Dragon Riders
An Ever-shifting Future
Burying a Hatchet
An Understanding
A Way Through
The Bridge of Skulls
Shattered Hope
Not Invincible
"It Only Gets Worse Before It Gets Better"
An Old Face from an Old Life
Visions of the Flames
Hard Truths
Bloodletting
The Long Night
The Long Night II
The Long Night III

The Mantle of Responsibility

2.4K 133 15
By RickyAdams9

~~Cersei Lannister~~

The Iron Throne sits once sat as a monument of a conqueror. A monument of power and triumph over ones foes. But now, it is a monument of sin an greed of power hungry individuals that would do anything just to feel the bladed Throne upon their asses.

Cersei Lannister is no different.

She sits upon the Throne as if it truly belongs to her. Her Queensguard stand in front of the steps, all standing guard and silent thanks to the ripping of their tongues. Euron Greyjoy had mentioned how a man without a tongue is rather obedient and does not speak out of turn.

She guesses it's true.

Her "nobles" all stand in front of her in the great throne room, all looking at the Lannister Lioness with despise. Everyone in the world hates the Lannisters because they think they're gold and lions and they're golden lions make the think they are better than everyone else.

But they are not. A lion is nothing to a dragon..

"If the Mad King's daughter takes the Iron Throne, she will destroy the Realm as we know it."

Cersei begins, already using a petty argument of,'this evil is worse that me' type deal.

"Some of you are bannermen of House Tyrell. But House Tyrell is in open rebellion against the Crown. With their help the Mad King's daughter has ferris an army of savages to our shores. Mindless Unsullied soldiers who will destroy your castles and holdfasts. Dothraki heathens who will but you villages to the ground, rape and enslave your women, and butcher you children without a second thought."

The fact that she has the audacity to call anyone "heathen" speaks for itself.

"This is how Olenna Tyrell rewards centuries of service and loyalty."

The lords begin to murmur amongst themselves as the Lannister Lioness continues.

"You all remember the Mad King. You remember the horrors he inflicted on his people. His daughter is no different. In Essos her brutality is already legendary. She crucified hundreds of noblemen in Slaver's Bay. And when she grew bored of that, she fed them to her dragons."

The crowd begins to murmur louder, buying the bullshit hook, line, and sinker.

"It is my solemn duty to protect the people, and I will need your help, my Lords. We must stand together, all of us, if we hope to stop her."

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

"If you want the Iron Throne, take it."

Yara Greyjoy states as well all either stand or sit around the carved table. I glance at Edric, sending him a silent "thank you" for coming. He had listened to me.

Along with him is Rickard, whom I haven't yet gotten to rekindle with, Elliara Sand and her daughters, and Olenna Tyrell. She's a smart woman and she knows that. Probably smarter than every person in this room.

And she's got all the food in the world.

"We have an army, a fleet, and three dragons. We should hit King's Landing now. Hard. With everything we've got. The city will fall in a day."

"If we turn the dragons loose, tens o thousands will die in the firestorms."

I roll my eyes a little at Tyrion. The Lion without it's roar. That's all he is. I am not saying he's wrong but he doesn't have the stomach for what war truly is. I honestly don think anyone in this room other than me does.

"It's called war."

Elliara Sand states with venom in her words.

"You don't have the stomach for it, scurry back into hiding."

"I know how you wage war. We don't poison little girls here! Myrcella was innocent."

"She was a Lannister. There are no innocent Lannisters. My greatest regret is that Oberyn died helping you escape King's-"

"Enough!"

I shout, slamming my fist onto the table whilst shooting out of my chair. Daenerys looks at me with wide eyes as does everyone else.

"Enough of the bickering bullshit!"

I nearly shout as I look around at everyone.

"Have any of you actually been in a war? Have any of you actually used strategy before?"

"I defended King's Landing-"

"Not a big accomplishment there because it was against Stannis fucking Baratheon, a damn joke."

I shake my head at Tyrion.

"Then what do you suggest then, whatever your name is?"

Lady Olenna asks, eyebrow raise in intrigue as I look all over the map. Daenerys moves to my side and takes my hand but I pull away, refusing to meet her gaze.

"You know..."

I start, trying to think of the right words for a moment.

"The poets and Maesters, when they speak of war, talk of..shield walls, of spears and arrows flying, of the blade beating against the shield like drums of war. They speak of heros who die from the sword and spear while feeling no fear. But I learned in my time that war is really about food and allies."

I say, looking to Olenna.

"You, Lady Olenna, are in control of the entire Reach, the most agricultural productive kingdom. You know war. From the Nine Penny Kings to the Five Kings, the Tyrell's have fought. War is about being able to feed men and horses."

I glance at Yara.

"So, before we go gung-ho over to King's Landing and destroy the lives of everyone, we need to guarantee that we can feed ourselves and everyone else."

I look out at everyone around the table.

"The army that eats wins. The army that doesn't...they starve."

I sigh, taking the pitcher of wine and pouring myself a glass, quickly downing it. Daenerys and Edric look at me with concern before I clear my throat.

"Lady Greyjoy will escort Lady Elliara, Edric, and I to Sunspear where our banners are waiting. We will sail back with our army and the Tyrell supplies will mainly remain on Dragonstone while we siege the city."

"And what makes you think I will follow such a plan?"

Lady Olenna asks suddenly looking at me curiously and for and old woman, she is sharp like a knife.

"If I say "please" would you consider?"

I remark with a smile and she smiles at that. I turn to Daenerys.

"This isn't the full plan, but it's a start. Do you want to hear my suggestion?"

"It's all I've heard so far."

She remarks with humor in her voice.

"Tyrion is a good man. I'm finding myself shocked to say that but he is."

I turn to him and nod out of respect, to which he returns it.

"But he has shit ideas. Listen to him when he's drunk and has been bedded in the last twenty-four hours."

I finish before swiftly turning and walking out of the council room.

~~Daenerys Targaryen~~

I watch Evelyn leave everyone speechless like a complete badass as she leaves the council room. Yara turns to the table, nodding.

"Gods, no disrespect, Your Grace. But if you weren't courting her, I would be."

I should be angered at that but I grin with pride.

"Does that sound good to you all?"

I ask and everyone nods, Tyrion though seeming a bit disheartened at Evelyn's comments about him.

Even though Evelyn is completely right, I can see the stress she has had in the days since arriving to Dragonstone.

Everyone begins to leave and the almost silver-haired boy, her cousin, Edric, stands to leave as well.

"Lord Edric...could I speak with you for a moment."

He nods whilst everyone else clears the room. He stands on one side of the table while I stand on the other.

"You're wondering what all that was?"

He asks suddenly and I raise a brow, nodding.

"Well, Evelyn and I got to know each other in the weeks since her arrival in Starfall. I learned much from her in the short time and she became my family. But she told me what war was really like."

"She has told me everything about it as well."

"Has she?"

Edric raise a brow and I look at the young man in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well...she spoke of Lady Maege Mormont and how she was like an anchor for her sanity. She spoke about how she would carry the weight of responsibility, never letting anyone take it from her because she cared so much for her troops... It nearly killed her."

He says sadly. Evelyn never told me that she would do this. Whenever I saw her in my dreams and spoke with her, she always seemed tired and miserable and it got worse and worse as time went on.

But now knowing it was not only because of the war, but because she was constantly worrying over everyone in her command and the stress of leading them.

The fact that Evelyn nearly worked herself to the grave scares me.

"I can't let that happen."

"Forgive me, Your Grace, but I don't know what you or I could do to help her take that weight off."

"We're her family, Lord Edric... I love her."

I admit quietly and his eyes widen a bit but he doesn't seemed shocked.

"She loves you too, you know."

"She does?"

"Mm-hmm."

I slowly sink in my seat, eyes staring off at nothing but my mind racing like lightening. My heart beats just a bit quicker and I feel giddy inside.

"But she loves people as well. And Evelyn can't help but feel responsible for every single person that joins her path."

I nod slightly.

"Thank you, Lord Edric, for speaking with me."

"Please, Your Grace. Just Edric."

"Okay then..Edric."

Before Edric reaches the door, he turns back to me.

"You know... I'm glad that Evelyn's here with you, that you two are together. You'll both make amazing Queens."

I blush slightly and am about to answer but he leaves before I get to. I sit in the now empty council chamber alone in silence. I stand from my seat, moving towards the open window to watch the waves of the Blackwater crash on the shores of Dragonstone.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you."

I nearly jump in surprise and I whip around, seeing Lady Olenna standing at the other end of the table.

"Forgive me, my Lady, but you surprised me."

"An elderly woman surprised the Mother of Dragons."

She chuckles, sitting down in a chair whilst I move to her, sitting across from the Lady of Highgarden.

"I won't try and break the ice here with you, Your Grace, so I'll get to it. What exactly is Evelyn Dayne to you?"

The question shouldn't have been a surprise to me but it is. I look away from her for a moment, wondering if my answer could affect the alliance with the Lady of the Reach.

"We're lovers."

"Oh. Do you just toss around in the sheets or is there more to that?"

"I love her."

"And she loves you."

Lady Olenna smiles.

"I never saw love as a terrible thing, whether it be between two men or two women, love is love. My grandson, Loras, often leaned towards the other sex. He was with Renly Baratheon at the start of the War. Made House Tyrell even more powerful than it already was."

She says, seemingly reminiscing on past wars.

"But love blinded him. Love is what got him prosecuted by the Faith Militant and blown up along with Margaery in the Sept of Baelor."

My eyes widen a little as Olenna just shakes her head sadly, looking back to me with full seriousness.

"Don't let this love for her blind you to the reality of the world. Evelyn Dayne isn't allowing it to blind her, you see? She holds you now at a further distance because of the wars to come. I've known people like her before, the truly good people of this world. I've outlived them all."

Lady Olenna stands.

"To protect what you have, you mustn't be a sheep. Your family were dragons. You are a dragon, so be a dragon. But know when to be a dragon and when to be yourself."

And with that, Lady Olenna Tyrell leaves me alone once again in the council chamber.

~~~~~
A/N

Wow, holy shit that was probably my favorite chapter to write like ever! Evelyn is just proving herself a badass at every turn. I really hope you enjoyed it because I certainly did!

Feedback on this chapter would be absolutely amazing.

Thank you all so much for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 608 25
The sweet butterfly of House Targaryen narrowly escaped with her life as the rebellion came to an end. Hidden in the sand, she emerged a dragon with...
39.5K 1.1K 51
🚧UNDER HEAVY EDITING🚧 Riva Targaryen is Rhagar Targaryen's twin sister. Viserys always envied his older sister and looked down at her just the way...
11.1K 547 53
In the wake of the flames forbear, the House of the Dragon stakes it rightful claim and hereditary with Fire and Blood against House Pendragon. Upon...
84K 3.2K 180
Have you ever wondered what might happen if there was a change in the story? Imagine a scenario where some of the people who had died were still aliv...