A Court of Lightning and Shad...

By padyprongs

Briar Fortin is half Fae, half Illyrian. She lives in one of the smaller camps, but also one of the worst. Wh... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2
Thank You (A/N)
A Court of Shadows and Pain

Thirty-three

3K 73 9
By padyprongs

——
Azriel POV

Briar wasn't in the bed when Azriel woke up.

His heart started racing as he jumped off the bed and checked the bathroom, thinking she had woken up from a nightmare.

Just as he opened the door to the bathroom, the door to his room opened.

He turned around and found Briar walking in.

She had a soft smile written on her face, "What are you doing?"

He remembered what she had said the night before. That he would get breakfast. She wanted to accept the mating bond.

"I thought you..." he said. He shook his head, "It doesn't matter."

Briar walked over to the bed and placed a plate on it.

The plate had pancakes with blueberries on it. It looked and smelled delicious.

"Elain helped me." she said while pointing at the plate. "I hope that doesn't matter."

Azriel noticed the friendship that started to grow between Elain and Briar. Elain wasn't much of a talker, but around Briar she was very talkative. Briar loved to listen while she helped Elain in her garden.

Azriel walked over to where she stood and sat down next to where she placed the plate.

He smiled at her, "As long as it tastes good." Briar snorted.

Azriel placed the plate on his lap and grabbed the fork. He took a bite from the pancake. It did taste good.

He found Briar looking at him, her hands behind her back. She looked nervous.

"You want some?"

Briar shook her head, "I already ate." she said.

Azriel finished the pancakes and placed the plate on the ground.

Briar still stood before him, so he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his lap.

"You should cook more often." he said, earning a laugh from Briar.

"I don't think you want me to."

Azriel pulled her in for a kiss. Just as their lips met, he could feel the bond snap into place. Like the final piece had settled.

He could feel her feelings before, but now, he could even feel them stronger. Happiness flowed through the bond.

Briar pulled away and rested her forehead against his.

"You know," he started, "Nesta gave a biscuit to Cassian.

Briar laughed. "I can see her do that."

"What will the others think now that we are.. mated?" she asked softly.

"They will be very happy and probably want to throw a party." he said. Briar's smile faded. "But, we aren't going to do that."

She let out a nervous laugh.

"We don't have to do anything, okay?" Azriel said, "It's okay like this."

Briar nodded. Maybe in the future."

Azriel smiled and pulled her closer.

——
Briar POV

Azriel had left a few minutes earlier, saying he needed to go with Cassian to some of the Illyrian camps.

Briar got dressed in something other than sweatpants and a normal shirt.

She pulled black pants out of her dresser. A sweater with a deep shade of blue color caught her eye. She put both pieces on.

She always wondered who these clothes used to belong to. Briar guessed Feyre, since the High Lady would wear similar clothes to hers.

A soft knock sounded on the door. Feyre let herself in. "Hello."

Briar smiled at her.

Feyre's eyes widened as she walked closer to Briar.

"Did you accept the mating bond?" she almost squealed in excitement.

Briar nodded as a small blush crept over her cheeks.

Feyre took another step towards her, but looked hesitant.

"You can hug me." Briar said.

Feyre immediately lunged forward and threw her arms around Briar. She hugged Feyre back, something she hadn't done with anyone else before. Only with Azriel.

"I am really happy for you." she said softly.

"Thank you."

Feyre pulled away, "Do you want to go for a walk?" she said. "Elain is busy and Mor isn't here."

Briar nodded, "Of course."

They walked out of the house together, Nyx in Feyre's arms.

"Can he walk?" Briar asked.

Feyre smiled. "He tries to, but he mostly falls over and cries." Briar let out a chuckle.

"Can I ask you something?" Feyre turned towards Briar while they walked around the streets of Velaris.

Briar nodded.

"I know Winter Solstice is a long time from now, but did you ever celebrate it in your Camp?"

It was an odd question to ask in de middle of summer.

"You don't have to answer it. I just got curious."

"No, it's okay." Briar said. "I never celebrated it. I didn't even know what it was for the first few decades of my life."

Briar kept her eyes on the street.

"When I figured out what it was, I got exited, even though we never celebrated it."

"My father and brother used to be out for hours on Winter Solstice." she said, "I would spend the evening on the roof, watching the stars."

Feyre gave her a sad smile. She already knew about everything that had happened.

"Well, we celebrate it. Just so you know." she said with a wink.

Briar let out a soft laugh.

Feyre held out Nyx, "Here, you hold him. He gets heavy."

Briar took the baby from Feyre's arms and held him. He was growing really fast. His little wings only growing bigger.

Feyre looked at her. "Do you want children?" she suddenly asked.

Briar immediately shook her head, "I don't think so." she said, "I love children... But I'm not ready for them. I don't think I want any of my own. At least, not any time soon."

"And if Az wants it?"

"Maybe. That's a choice we need to make together. Maybe a hundred years from now."

Feyre laughed, "Well, you're always welcome to babysit Nyx."

The small boy placed his hands on Briar's face and giggled.

Feyre snorted.

"He always has a perfect timing." Briar laughed.

They continued to walk. Feyre pointed towards a small cafe and dragged her inside.

The two of them sat down, Nyx on Feyre's lap.

They both ordered something to eat and drink.

Feyre turned back to her, "How do you feel now that you're mated?" she asked with a grin.

"The same. The only thing that changed, is that I can now feel Az better." she said.

"I think Az is really happy with you." Feyre said.

Briar blushed at her words.

"He's more talkative since you arrived. And his shadows light up when you enter the room." Feyre said.

She hadn't noticed either of those things.

"He makes me very happy too."

Feyre smiled.

——
Azriel POV

Cassian had noticed the happy look on Azriel's face and immediately threw his arms around him.

He had been rambling about how happy he was for them all morning.

The visit to one of the camps went fine. Apparently, the camp Lord hadn't let the females train for a week now. He threatened to torture anyone in his camp who would let word get out.

Somehow, his spies found out before him.

Cassian talked to the camp Lord. The male looked terrified at the sight of the General and Spymaster.

Cassian would go back the next day, to see if the male kept his promise to let the females train.

Azriel opened the door to the river house, Cassian on his heels.

He didn't want to go back to the House, since Nesta, Emerie and Gwyn were doing some things of their own. He actually sounded scared of the females.

They found Mor, Feyre and Briar in the big living room. Mor and Feyre were both drinking wine.

Briar was seated on a big chair, which made her look very small. Mor and Feyre were laughing at something, while Briar only smiled.

She noticed his presence before the other two females.

Azriel smiled at her as she looked at him.

He turned around and found Cassian smirking at him. "You do have a heart." he said.

"Shut your fat mouth."

Briar's laugh sounded from across the room, she must've heard what he said.

Mor and Feyre hadn't noticed them and were looking at Briar with confused looks.

She dipped her head towards were they stood.

"How did you get inside without getting noticed." Mor raised her eyebrows.

"I always-" Azriel couldn't finish his sentence as Mor pointed at Cassian and shook her head. "He's always loud. I'm impressed."

Cassian sat down next to Mor and grabbed the bottle of wine. "Rhysie isn't going to like this." he said while shaking his head. "I'm in." he took a big sip from the bottle, earning a snort from Feyre.

Azriel walked over to the chair Briar sat on. He leaned against it as he watched Cassian empty the whole bottle.

Just as he finished, Rhys came walking through the door. He looked at Cassian with wide eyes.

"You know it is only one hour past lunch time?" he said with raised eyebrows.

"Doesn't matter, it always tastes the same." Cassian said.

Briar laughed softly.

Rhys' head turned towards Briar and Azriel. He didn't say anything out loud, but his smile told them enough.

Azriel didn't doubt that both Mor and Feyre knew about them accepting the mating bond.

The four of them fell into a conversation while Azriel and Briar sat on the opposite side of the room, silent.

"Can I ask you something?" he said.

Briar looked up at him and nodded.

"I was waiting for the right moment to ask, but Rhys offered something a few days ago." he said. "Would you like to start training?"

Briar's eyes turned big as she nodded.

"It's nothing special. I'll be with you the whole time." he said, offering a soft smile.

"Thank you." she said.

"And, since you don't want to have a big party or mating ceremony." he started, "I think we should go stargazing tonight."

Briar's eyes lit up as he mentioned the stars.

She nodded. "I would love that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.6K 609 44
A story of Rhys and Feyre's life with their court after ACOMAF. ~~ No smut. ~~ DISCLAIMER: I don't own any ACOMAF characters or rights. All belong t...
6.1K 132 7
Nightmares don't just happen in the dark, but in this story, they do. A female from the Court of Nightmares ends up mixing with the Inner Circle. WAR...
10.6K 387 26
A Killer. A Nobody. That's who she is; these are the things she knows about herself- or at least, what had been drilled into her since she can rememb...
661K 25.9K 75
TW: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thanks. (Book one in the Starlight series...