She's a Challenge | 5sos AU

By Liadne_14

"You're a challenge I gladly accept." He smiled. Lola Heart, a complex girl that no one has really figured ou... More

Prologue
Heartless Lola
Get a Clue
Lost
Group Therapy
Not A Date
Shots
Mr. Popular
A Challenge
No Option
Never Have I Ever
Fairness
Mission
Space
Thief
No Fighting
Probable Regret
The Reason
Advice
Repairing A Friendship
No Scars
Fights and Scolding
Muffins and Awkward Feelings
No Simplicity
Insecurities
Progress
Walking And Talking
Sweet Victory
Appearance
Ideas
Broken Promise
Banners and Stuffed Penguins
Day Gone Wrong
Troubles
What Falls, Breaks
A Day With Lulu
Comfort
Threats
Revelation
Fortune Cookies
Broken
Time
New Start
Champagnes and Past Lovers
Epilogue
A/N

Problems

800 38 4
By Liadne_14

Chapter 38: Problems

"We're getting you a new phone," I said, pulling my phone away from Luke.

"I was almost done with that level," he complained as tried taking it back. "Come on."

"No, you're wasting my battery and I'm tired of you taking my phone away when you need it." I struggled to get it away from him. "Luke, stop it."

"We'll get one tomorrow, just let me use yours for now." He pouted, quivering his lip and giving puppy dog eyes. Why does his eyes have to be blue? His eyes are beautiful and I'm envious of it.

"Here," I said, shoving the phone towards him. I got up and spread the blanket on the ground.

"What are you doing?" He asked, getting out of his bed.

"I'm going to sleep on the floor, what does it look like I'm doing?" I took one of his pillows and laid on the floor. He took my pillow and I just stared at him. I was so close from banging on my head on the floor.

"You're not sleeping on the floor." He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Fine," I said getting up, grabbing the blanket and pillow.

"Where are you going now?"

"I'm going to sleep on the couch." I rushed downstairs. I need space for awhile, I need to be by myself even though I've spent hours in front of Diana's tombstone. Again. I don't want Luke to know about the threats. I want to continue with the case.

"Lola, come upstairs, please?" He begged following me down.

I turned around and sighed. "It's just for one night." I headed into the living room and fixed up the couch.

"I promise not to take your phone to play Candy Crush anymore."

I chuckled and shook my head. "It's not about the phone. I just want to spend the night on the couch."

"What's wrong? You're not telling me something," he sat down in front of me.

"Nothing's wrong."

"Something's bothering you. Was it lunch with your dad?" I shook my head. He grabbed my legs and pulled me to him. "Tell me what's wrong. Is it me?"

I tried to hold in my laughter. I shook my head removing his arms from me. "Of course there's something wrong with you," I said, holding his cheeks between my hands. He rolled his eyes and laughed too. "Prom is in a few days and the pressure is on." I pulled my hands away from him and stood up wrapping my arms around his neck.

"You have a whole week to get ready. Besides, since when did you care about prom?" He chuckled.

I sighed and sat next to him. "Since I asked you." I patted his leg. "Time for you to go."

"Are you sure nothing's wrong?" He grabbed my hand and caressed it with his thumb.

My heart swelled. I pulled my hand away and just nodded. "Goodnight." I kissed his cheek and laid down.

"Goodnight," he said getting up and giving me a kiss on the lips. I heard his footsteps go upstairs and I sighed in relief.

"You're hiding something," Mr. Hemmings sang as he sat in the arm chair.

"You heard that?" I sat up, running my finger through my hair.

He nodded. "I also heard your quiet and quick answers." He pointed his coffee cup at me. "You know, I thought you were a bad influence on him."

"But . . . "

He sipped his coffee then set it down. "You're changing, because of him and he's changing, because of you. You want to be better just like he does."

"So what?"

"You want to be better together. But in order for that to happen, you need trust in your relationship."

"I trust him," I shrugged. After the whole cutting and drinking argument, I trust he won't do it anymore.

"I know you do. But he needs to trust you. You're hiding something from him."

"It feels like everyone's a therapist." I threw my hands around then slumped into the couch.

"What is it?" He asked, referring to the secret I'm hiding from his son.

"Nothing," I muttered.

"You can't keep this secret from him forever. He's going to find out eventually."

"I'll keep for as long as it takes. He won't find out in time." At least, I hope he won't.

"What are you hiding?"

"Something that could get me arrested," I mumbled.

"Please, don't say I'm harboring a fugitive," he begged.

"I'm not a fugitive. If you'll tell Luke I'm hiding something, then I will be."

"Okay," he said, holding his hands up in surrender. "I won't tell him, but he'll find out. Good night, Lola." He grabbed his coffee and got up, patting my shoulder as he left the room.

"Good night, Mr. Hemmings." I sighed and laid down.

I heard footsteps rush down and I jolted up. "We have to go," Luke said, grabbing my hand and dragging me off the couch.

"Where are we going?" I asked, grabbing my shoes as we went out the front door.

"To Calum's. You're sister called and said something about lies. She was crying and said she's heading over there now." He got inside the car and I ran to the otherside.

"What lies?" I asked, buckling up as he pulled out.

He didn't answer, instead we rushed over to Calum's house. Lulu was outside his house crying and Calum standing six feet away from her. What happened to them? He stepped forward, but she stepped back. Calum ran up to her and hugged her, she pulled away and bitch slapped him. Luke parked and I ran out to Lulu, hugging her as she wept on my shoulder.

"What the fuck did you do?" I yelled at Calum.

"I didn't do anything," he said trying to get to Lulu, but Luke held him back.

"Calm down, Cal," Luke said. "What happened?"

"You lied to me," she cried.

"What happened, Lu?" I asked holding her shoulders.

"He hid it from me, for weeks now. How could he do that?" She sobbed into her hands.

"Baby, let me explain-"

"Stay away from her," I snapped. "What did you do?" I charged towards him. Luke held me back from kicking him into the balls. "You hurt my sister, you said you wouldn't!" I yelled, kicking and screaming.

"I didn't mean to," he defended.

I stopped kicking, but still tried to get to him to hurt him. "Why the fuck is she crying? What did you do to her?"

"You know what I did!" He snapped.

I stopped struggling to try to kill him. She found out about it. Luke let go of me and turned me around. "What does he mean 'you know'?" Luke asked.

"You knew," she whispered.

I sighed and walked to her. "Lu-"

She stepped back and I stopped walking. "You knew he was keeping it from me and you didn't bother to tell me?" She said with disgust in her voice. "Worst of all, you knew how I'd react to news like this."

"I just found out last week. Please, don't be mad at me." I begged.

"And you still didn't tell me?" She yelled.

"I asked her not to tell you," Calum said, butting in. "She told me how much you hate smokers and I begged her not to tell you. She was a call away from telling you."

"Do you have a piercing that I don't know of?" She snapped at him. "Damn it, Calum. You should've told me."

"I didn't because I was afraid you would break up with me."

"You thought I was going to break up with you, because you're a smoker?" She asked calmly.

He nodded in shame. "I was afraid that if she called, you'd break up with me right away."

"You were wrong. I'm not going to break up with you, because you're a smoker. I'm breaking up with you, because you lied to me."

"Lulu-

"I could've helped you quit, but, instead, you kept it from me," she said through her sobs. "It's over Calum."

"No, no, no." He chanted, grabbing her hand and sobbing. "Lulu, please." He hugged her, which made Lulu cry harder. "I'm quitting, I promise not to pick up another cigarette again."

"It's too late, Calum." She pulled away from him.

"Tell me what I can do to change this. I'll be a better person. I'll get my tattoos removed, throw away all my lighters and cigarettes. I'll do anything for you, Lulu. Please, I love you," he sobbed.

"I need time," she hiccupped.

"Who told you, Lu?" I asked, wanting to know who the bitch was that wants to ruin her relationship.

"Max," she muttered.

"That bitch, is going to be a dead bitch," I muttered through my teeth.

"Why are you talking to him?" Calum asked.

"He just told me he saw you smoking and asked if I knew you were doing that." She wiped her tears and sighed. "I wish he didn't."

"Please, don't do this, baby. We can work this out, no break."

"I need time to think if I can be with you or not, Calum." She gave him a kiss on the lips and muttered a goodbye, then headed to her car.

He sat in the grass, watching her leave. Luke and I walked to either side of him and sat down. "Did she really break up with me?" He whispered.

"I'm sorry, man." He patted his back.

Calum started crying again, chanting 'no' over and over again. My sister and Calum were so perfect together, but he did hide it from her. It's just, he should've been the one to tell her. It wasn't a little thing for them, it was a breaking point between them and one person finally broke. But it wouldn't have happened if Max didn't tell her.

"I'm going to kill him," I muttered.

"Heart, you're not going to hurt anyone," Luke said.

"Because of him, they broke up. He's the one who's hurting my sister, repeatedly." I got up and dusted my pants. "You," I pointed at Calum. "You're going to throw every cigarette and lighter you have. Prove to my sister that you're better than this."

"What if she won't take me back?" He sniffled.

I rolled my eyes and pulled his arm up. He stood up and dusted his pants. "You are going to show her reasons why she should take you back."

"But-"

"Shut the fuck up and get in your house. Throw out all your shit so you can show her you can quit smoking. If I can, you can."

"What do you mean, 'you can'?" Luke asked, standing up. "You said you never smoked."

Great. Just great. Good going, Lola. "Actually, I said I've never been high," I clarified.

"Have you?" He crossed his arms.

"Maybe," I gave an awkward smile.

"So you lied to me?"

"Great, more problems!" Calum said, throwing his arms in the air. "I'm going to go inside before you two drag me into this." He said, backing away then leaving us.

"Wimp!" I yelled at him.

"Lola, you lied to me," he said, pulling me back into the argument.

"This was before us happened." I rolled my eyes, thinking how ridiculous this is. "You know how I was before we got closer. You know how big of a lying bitch I was-"

"But you still should've told me," he argued. "Do you want us to end up like them?"

"Of course not, Luke. We're not going to be like them, because you're not as stubborn as my sister."

"What about trust?"

"If you trust me, the truth to my lies will come out gradually. You won't have to find out from anyone else, because it'll just slip out of my mouth. You can trust me, Luke, but can't expect me to tell you every lie or secret I've kept." I sighed, grabbing his humongous hand. "We are not going to break up because of a lie."

"How do you know that?"

"Are you hurt?"

He shook his head. "No."

"Then we're not breaking up. Remember, if you're hurt by me, then it'll be over."

"I give you permission to hurt me," he whispered, repeating what he said when we had our first therapy session.

(A/N): To be honest, I'm actually sad that this story's going to be over. I really love writing this, because it's not usually the kind of story I'd write. It's different and I like it.

Anyway, so I started college, but I still have my regular high school class still (only two classes). But still, I start high school in the morning and college at night. My first day was today and it was okay. I feel like it's going to soak up all my time from writing.

This story maybe ending, but I have a new story coming up soon. It'll be a series and I'm really excited about that. I always write some things from my other stories and try to put it in to the current one so it can all connect, but now I'll have one that'll connect for sure. It'll be those stories you don't have to read the first one to get the second one. It most likely won't come out until July, but maybe it'll come out at the end of the month.

Comment, Vote, and/or Follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

523 24 23
Ashton was bestfriends with Jack ever since they were 2 years old. Then something happens Ashton meets this new girl who moved accross from him and h...
541 6 32
"Lucy listen to me! Everything is going to be ok. Trust me" "Calum... I can't trust you. He's already ruined my life before so how do I know you won'...
15.9K 430 41
Michael Clifford. The schools bad boy. Michael Clifford is the guy your parents warn you about. One night stands every night. Dropping girls as if th...
2.5K 305 22
Whitney Brown is starting to have feelings for her best friend Luke. She hopes he will have feelings right back, but she doesn't want to lose his fri...