Red Volkswagen || h.s.

By hotgirlharry

Westlake, South Carolina. Home to Brooklyn Callahan, the best latte maker on the east coast. Or so her mom te... More

author's note & cast
✰the story starts when it was hot and it was summer
Enchanted
It's Nice To Have A Friend
New Romantics
Jump Then Fall
I'm Only Me When I'm With You
I Think He Knows
Gorgeous
Message in a Bottle
How You Get The Girl
King of My Heart
London Boy
Today Was a Fairytale
Delicate
Everything Has Changed
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Starlight
Wildest Dreams
august
Death By A Thousand Cuts
✰we found wonderland, you and i got lost in it
Welcome To New York
Superstar
Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince
Style
Dress
A Place In This World
Dancing With Our Hands Tied
this is me trying
champagne problems
Out of the Woods
Last Kiss
Haunted
Long Live
it's time to go
✰how can a person know everything at 18, but nothing at 22?
The Lucky One
If This Was a Movie
cardigan
The Very First Night
Cornelia Street
You Need To Calm Down
I Almost Do
Forever Winter
peace
'tis the damn season
happiness
exile
right where you left me
✰all along there was some invisible string tying you to me
the 1
...Ready For It?
Sweeter Than Fiction
Mine
Afterglow
Begin Again
long story short
Holy Ground
State of Grace
Daylight
Epilogue 1 - Love Story
Epilogue 2 - Christmas Tree Farm
Epilogue 3 - Never Grow Up

Sparks Fly

1.5K 42 8
By hotgirlharry

i'm captivated by you baby like a fireworks show

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Brooklyn."

I feel someone's hand on my shoulder, but I haven't come to full consciousness yet.

I force myself to blink a few times, slowly moving my eyes up to my human alarm clock to discover that it's my mom.

"Um, who is in your bed and why are you sleeping on the couch?" She asks, and last night comes rushing back to me in a millisecond, subsequently waking me up because I remember the fact that Harry is the one sleeping in my bed.

What time is it even?

"It's Harry." I mumble, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up.

"Oh. Wait, is he–"

"Yes." I answer her, knowing exactly what she was going to ask. "It's him."

"Okay, well, I have to go to school."

"It's Saturday."

"Extra sessions."

"Are you gonna scold me for sneaking a boy into the house before you go?"

"Please. You're not even in the same room. And it's not like you've ever had a problem with sneaking boys in the house before anyways!"

"Alright–" I grab and pathetically chuck a pillow at her as she laughs and runs off and I hear the door to the garage open and close.

Now that I'm awake, I grab my phone and discover that it's eight-thirty. I only respond to a text from Devin before putting my phone back down again and letting out a yawn, but I'm definitely not going back to sleep at this point. I sit up and am immediately greeted by Cooper's slobbery morning kisses, so once he runs off again because he has the attention span of a goldfish, I head to my room.

I silently inch the door open to see that Harry is still asleep and in the same position I left him in last night. Which is a good thing, because he's going to sleep for however long his body needs to. Which is a lot.

Shutting the door quietly, I retreat back down the hallway into the kitchen. My stomach grumbles as I walk and I figure Harry will want something when he wakes up, so I open the fridge and find out what I have to work with. Which isn't a ton, but we have eggs and things to put in an omelet so it will work. Does Harry even like eggs? I have no idea. I hope so, at least.

What even is his favorite food? He doesn't seem picky from what I've seen him eat in the last few days. He does seem to like fruit, though. I wonder what food he hates. I feel like everyone has a food that the mere thought of just makes them gag. For me, it's celery. Does he like to cook? He definitely seems like the type to like to cook.

I need to stop. Stop wondering these things. Because these things lead to other things and other things are dangerous territory.

"Cooper, am I in trouble?" I turn to the dog, consulting him with a sigh. He tilts his head because he has no idea what I just said. "You're right. Let's be real. I think I'm in trouble."

***

It's been two hours. It's ten-thirty. Harry hasn't woken up yet.

I went to go make sure he was still alive about an hour ago and he still hadn't moved an inch. So I left him again and now I'm sitting around waiting because I don't want to leave and have him wake up in a panic because he doesn't remember where he is.

How am I passing the time?

One Direction music videos. But don't tell Harry that.

I can now officially put full names to all the faces in the band.

I also watched his X-Factor audition. Definitely don't tell him that. But it was fucking adorable.

Needless to say, I've fallen down the dark and twisty rabbit hole that is One Direction and I won't be attempting to claw my way out because why would I want to? I feel like I owe Devin an apology for all those times I mindlessly nodded to everything she was saying to me because it turns out the information was very valuable. She was right all along.

"We could go out any day, any night, baby I'll take you there, take you there, baby I'll"

I slam my computer shut and freeze when I hear the sound of my bedroom door opening from down the hallway. Cooper leaps up from laying down on the floor and trots over to the sound, and I make my best attempt at looking busy and normal.

When Harry emerges around the corner with Cooper hot on his heels with excitement, he's barely picking up his feet and rubbing his eyes like a toddler would when they wake up from a nap. Fucking adorable.

"Hey." I say, and his eyes find me sitting at the table. He gives me a tight lipped smile, trudging over to me and slumping down in the chair next to me. Should I make a bet with myself that he's going to fall asleep again right here and now?

"Hi." He rasps out, petting Cooper with one hand and continuing to rub his eyes with his other.

"Sleep well?" I chuckle.

"I don't think...I've gotten that much sleep...in one night...since...ever."

"You were out for a solid twelve hours. Clearly your body needed it."

"Yeah..." He sighs. "Thanks for letting me crash."

"It's no problem."

"After...I didn't really sleep at all last night– well, two nights ago, so I definitely needed it."

"You didn't sleep at all?" I immediately furrow my brow. I guess that explains his abnormal behavior and how quiet and solemn he was acting yesterday. "How come?"

He sighs again. "I was on the phone with one of our managers until so late, and it wasn't a very...cordial...phone call, and then I was talking with one of the boys about it all day yesterday and trying to solve it...it's fine. Never mind."

Well, now I want to know what the hell this manager said to drive him up such a wall, and I'd like to have a word with said manager.

"What's this guy's name?" He changes the subject, shifting to the dog and smiling down at him as Cooper wags his tail.

"That's Cooper." I smile. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes." He answers immediately. "But you don't have to–"

"Shut up."

"Okay."

I smile and shake my head once I'm pulling everything back out of the fridge, thankful that I didn't make him anything earlier because it would be a cold pile of mush by now. I hear him behind me playing with Cooper, and I infer that he's most likely a dog person from the way he's already interacting with him.

While they're doing that, I pull out my phone and opt to play a little music to get some energy going.

I think 'Still the One' will be fitting, right?

I click on the song and turn my volume all the way up, continuing to put the pan on the stove and turning on the heat. Who I'm ninety-nine percent sure is Liam starts off the song– I'm learning– and I hum along casually while going about my business as Cooper barks and yelps in the background.

"Now I'm back at your door, you're looking at me unsure"

"What are you doing?"

I turn around to Harry looking at me with raised eyebrows and his hands on his hips.

"...Cooking?" I motion to the stove like it's obvious, obviously ignoring the point he's trying to make. I can't tell if he's actually disappointed or trying not to laugh.

"That's all?"

"Yes?"

"Great. So you won't mind if I just–" He lunges forward and snatches my phone off of the counter, and I drop the spatula and move as fast as possible so he doesn't turn it off.

"No!" I yell, jumping up when he holds the device above his head out of my reach, the music now paused.

"Yes."

"Give me my phone." I cross my arms and look up at him.

"Why should I do that?"

"Because I was listening to music."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh my god, just–" I jump up again but he stretches his arm further up and turns around to dodge my attempts.

"Come and get it!" He yells, jogging off back into the living room.

"You're annoying!" I yell after him. "And if your eggs are burnt it's your fault and I'm not making more!" I roll my eyes and internally slap myself on the face for the smile that's threatening to form, going back to the stove. After finishing that up, I cross my fingers that he's not allergic to any of these ingredients or something and find him sitting on the floor of the living room tugging on one of Cooper's toys with him.

"You're gonna make him like you more than me, watch yourself." I hand him the plate and collapse on the couch.

"Can't help if I'm the favorite, that's just how it goes." He shrugs and smiles sweetly. "Thanks." He nods to the food and releases the dog toy, grabbing his fork. "What are we doing today?" He mumbles through a mouthful.

I shrug. "What haven't we done?" I joke. "The weather is nice, and I think the water was supposed to be good for surfing today."

"You can surf?"

I nod. "Been doing it since I was little. Have you ever done it?"

"I grew up in rural England." He deadpans.

"I can teach you. Although, after assessing your skill I have a feeling we're going to have to start you on a boogie board."

He rolls his eyes at my teasing. "Whatever. Boogie boards are fun. Can he come?" He motions to Cooper now sitting and wagging his tail, waiting patiently for Harry to throw the tennis ball again.

"He loves the water. The amount of times he's knocked me over while chasing a fish is infinite. So yes."

"You hear that bud? I'm gonna learn how to surf today." Harry snatches the ball and chucks it down the hallway, and we both laugh at how Cooper almost trips over his own feet in his excitement.

***

"For the love of–" I take my hair out of the braid for the third time in ten minutes. "Whatever." I mumble in defeat. I turn off the bathroom light and run back into my room, grabbing my bag and making sure I have everything before turning and leaving to get Cooper's leash.

After telling him that I definitely didn't have any kind of swim trunks he could wear, Harry left to go to his bus where he said he had some. I offered to go with him, but he said he'll be quick and that dividing and conquering will get us to the beach faster.

I think he's excited to surf.

We said we would meet at the beach five minutes ago, but my stupid braids chose to be stubborn so I gave up and am leaving my hair down.

I grab Cooper's leash from the drawer and attach it onto his collar, hurrying out the door and grimacing when I notice how unbelievably hotter it is today than it has been for the past week. I guess we made the right decision for today's activities.

I power walk with Cooper basically running on the leash because he knows where we're going, and I'm out of breath by the time the cafe comes into view so I know the beach is close. I don't see the bus at the cafe, so Harry must've driven up to the beach.

When Cooper sees the beach about a block away, I give up and take his leash off and he bolts at lightning speed down the street. Soon, I hear faint splashing as I slow down and catch my breath.

"I thought you abandoned me!" Harry yells when he sees me climbing up the sand.

I'm ashamed to say I almost trip over my own feet because he's taken his shirt off, and now I'm discovering he has tattoos not only on his arms, but his torso, too. Ugh.

"Sorry!" I yell back after clearing my throat of any signs of weakness. "Got held up."

"I'm kidding. I just got here. Getting a surfboard on top of the bus is harder than it looks even though it looks really cool."

"Thanks for bringing it."

I keep my board at the cafe because there's so much built up junk in our garage that there's no room for it. Plus it makes a cute decor piece up on the wall of the cafe. But sometimes I get weird looks from customers when I'm climbing on a chair and pulling it down, and then coming back later sopping wet and putting it back up like it's no big deal. They just don't know it's mine.

"Stevie also gave me a boatload of food."

"Of course she did."

"She asked if you were going to come in and I told her probably not, and she got a bit too excited."

I roll my eyes and smile, dropping my bag on the sand next to the board and crouching down to take out the towels I stuffed in it. I'm already sweating like a dog and now I'm eager to get in the water and cool off, something Cooper already beat me to because he's already prancing around in the water.

The waves don't look horrible, but they're not fantastic. I think I can manage to at least get Harry to stand up on the board. I know he's excited but I don't think he's aware of how difficult it can actually be.

I glance behind me and see Harry jogging down to the water to greet his new best friend again, and I quickly take off my shorts and tank top so I can join them. After making sure nothing is going to blow away in the wind, I meet both of them down in the water.

"I have a feeling you're going to be the one abandoning me by the end of the day and it'll all be because of that dog."

Harry snaps his head to me and smiles, not responding for a few moments and I raise my eyebrows.

"You're already contemplating it now, I can tell."

He rolls his eyes. "I am not. I just so happen to be a dog person."

"Yeah, I can tell." I chuckle, moving further into the water. "Did you grow up with one?"

"No." He shakes his head. "I'd get one now but I obviously don't have the time to give it the attention it would need. Plus I'm never in the same city for more than a week these days. But I'll get one someday. How long have you had him?"

"Ten years. My mom and I adopted him when I was nine."

"Did– whoa–" Harry starts, but is cut off by Cooper coming out of nowhere and jumping up on him, literally pushing him back and making him fall back in the water. I let out a loud laugh, laughing at what just happened and the fact that the dog is almost as tall as Harry when he jumps up on him.

When Harry sits up out of the water and catches his breath I'm still laughing, and he looks at me while he shakes out his hair and stands up, now not dry in the slightest.

"Hardy, har, har."

"Hey, you were laughing at me when you locked me out in the rain. This is a valid reaction. That was funny as hell. Cooper got my revenge for me."

"I'm not saying it wasn't." He fights a smile. "And locking you out in the rain was also funny."

"You know what, I take it back. No surfing for you. Waves are terrible, actually. And I don't really wanna get my hair wet anyway–" I start to retreat back up to the sand when Harry starts creeping towards me, and I know he's wanting to throw me in the water. I don't actually care about getting my hair wet– I was definitely planning on it– but it's just funny to make him all antsy.

"Don't even think about it." Harry says, and before I can get two steps onto the dry sand I feel two arms wrap around my waist and pick me up like it's nothing, turning around and leading us deeper into the water. Seconds later, I'm being dropped underwater.

I immediately come back up and blink the saltwater out of my eyes, sighing when I see Harry still standing in front of me and smiling like an idiot.

"Great. Are we even now?" I say, splashing a little water on him.

"I guess so. Can I get the board?"

***

"At least you stood up."

"I have worse balance than I thought."

"If it makes you feel any better, it took me almost a month to be able to ride a full wave."

"And how old were you?"

"...Eight."

"I give up."

I have to hand it to him, Harry really tried today. It's not totally his fault because the waves weren't great at all, but he still tried. Not with much success...but I'm still proud of him.

"We'll try again, don't worry."

"Yeah, yeah."

I chuckle at his disappointment even though he shouldn't be, and collapse on the towel laid out in the sand. I lost track of how long we've been here, but all I know is that I'd bet a lot of money I have sunburns all over my body and I'm starving. We ate the sandwiches Stevie packed for us a few hours ago, so we're going to have to go and get something else soon or I'm going to become hangry.

Cooper is also exhausted, and it takes a lot for that dog to become exhausted, especially at the beach. So that's how I know it's probably time to call it a day.

I grab my phone for the first time in hours, seeing a couple texts from the group chat with Devin, Hadley, Reagan and I, and one missed call from Devin. I immediately click on the notification from Devin and call her back as Harry sits down and sighs next to me.

"Hey." She immediately picks up after one ring.

"Hi, sorry. Didn't have my phone on me."

"When do you ever? But it's fine, it's nothing urgent. Reagan and Hadley came by the diner and wanted to see if we all wanted to get dinner tonight. I told them to text you and ask because I didn't know if you we're going to the cafe or if you were hanging out with Harry all day..." Her voice gets higher at the end of her sentence and she trails off, and I know she has a smirk on her face.

I clear my throat. "Maybe..."

"Mhmm."

"I'm down."

"Bring Harry."

"Well I would have to ask him–" I try to keep my voice low, but he one hundred percent heard me.

"Just give him your phone and I'll ask him."

"I'm not going to do that." I laugh. "I'll text you guys when I have an answer."

"Ugh, fine. See you soon."

I hang up the call and quickly read the texts in the group chat, feeling Harry looking at me and waiting for an explanation.

"So what do you have to ask me? Unless you're referring to someone else?" He says with a smile.

I turn to face him. "How do you feel about meeting my friends? The other two, at least?"

"Bring it on."

"Are you sure? You can say no."

"Are you okay with me meeting them?"

"There's really no reason for you not to, so yes."

"Then let's do it."

"Don't say I didn't give you an out. I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into."

"Since I am voluntarily doing this, I will not complain."

"You said it, not me. But first we have to take Cooper home and I need to change." I say, starting to pack up everything and gather my dirty, sand covered clothes.

"I'll go grab him." Harry says, standing up and jogging down to the water where Cooper is as I grab the towel he was laying on and begin to fold it up.

They're both jogging back over here in seconds, and I grab Cooper's leash and attach it to his collar quickly before he can get away again, looking around and making sure I got everything.

"...Can you help me?" I reach out my hand to Harry to help me up, because my limbs are jelly from swimming and treading the water so much. He smiles, grabbing my hand and almost making me yelp at how easily and quickly he pulls me off the ground. "Geez."

"Sorry. Still have energy."

"Maybe I should've woken you up instead of letting you sleep."

"Next time you have permission to wake me up."

Next time?

"Noted. Let's go." I nod my head in the direction we need to go. "Can you and your energy get the board?"

He nods, picking up the surfboard and carrying it above his head down to where the bus is parked on the street. He carefully slides it onto the roof of the bus and makes sure it's secure before turning back to me.

"Let's just drive. I'm afraid if any of us spend another minute in the heat, we'll stroke out."

I look down at Cooper and how hard he's panting and agree with Harry immediately, letting Cooper sit on the floor on the passenger side and me sliding into the seat as Harry gets into the driver's seat. When he turns on the car and the air conditioning kicks in, I sigh in relief.

The clock reads that it's almost five, so I know my mom will probably be home, if not on her way home by now. She didn't get to formally meet Harry this morning, which might mean she's about to meet him now. When Harry eventually parks in front of my house, I open the door and let Cooper jump out first before turning to Harry since he hasn't moved yet.

"C'mon." I tell him so he knows it's okay for him to come inside. He nods, opening his door as I shut mine and pull Cooper along with me up to the front path. 

"Mom?" I call out when we get inside, Harry shutting the front door behind us.

"In here!" I hear her respond from her bedroom, so she's definitely home.

I take Cooper off his leash and he walks off in the direction of his water bowl, and I make my way to my mom's room only to meet her halfway in the hallway.

"Hi. Uh," I turn around quickly to glance at Harry and see that he's a few steps behind me, looking like he's unsure of what to do. "This is Harry." I tell my mom.

"Hi Harry!" She greets him enthusiastically.

"Hi Ms. Callahan." He responds, sort of shyly, too.

"Oh please, call my Casey. That title is reserved for my students." She laughs, waving him off and he smiles. "You two sure look like you got some sun."

"Way too much." I look at the tops of my arms and see a solid shade of pink forming. "It was fun, though. But I think we were gonna grab dinner with the girls? Is that okay?"

"Of course! I was thinking of going to see Stevie later."

"Tell her I'll be there tomorrow if you do."

"And how do you think she'll take that?"

"...Just tell her."

"Whatever you say."

I turn to Harry. "I'm gonna change. If you want, you can use the bathroom?" I tell him and he nods, following me with his stuff he got from the bus and disappearing into the bathroom while I walk into my room and shut the door quietly.

I toss my bag down and pull out my phone, sending a quick text to the group chat that we're ready whenever they are. Then, I change into a big t-shirt and shorts before sitting down at my desk to brush and braid my damp hair. At the same time, Devin responds to my text and proposes we all just meet at the diner because she's about to get off her shift, so she'll be able to sit down. Everyone agrees, and just like that, there's the rest of my night.

A few minutes later, I hear a soft knock on my door.

"Yeah?"

"It's me." I recognize Harry's voice as he comes in. "Ready when you are."

"I need two minutes. We're just gonna meet at the diner if that's okay?"

"Perfect."

I nod, ducking out of the room and into the bathroom to pee and run some aloe over my burns before they start to hurt. I notice my nose is pink too, so now I look like the long lost twin of Rudolph. I disregard it because it's my fault for not reapplying sunscreen, and I leave the bathroom as fast as I came.

"Ready."

He nods, following me down the hallway after I grab my phone.

"Bye mom!" I yell out so my mom knows we're leaving.

"Bye you two!"

We step back into the heat, and I'm glad I decided to wait to shower because I'm sweating all over again.

"Do you want to drive again?" Harry asks, probably noticing my annoyance and how slow I seem to be walking from today's activities.

"Yes." I sigh and he chuckles, unlocking the bus and I run around to the passenger side again.

***

The diner is busy– busy for a small town diner, at least– when we walk in, and I spot the girls already sitting in a booth near the back of the floor. Devin's back is to me with Reagan and Hadley facing the doors, and Hadley is the first one to notice us approaching.

"Remember, if they start getting weird I'm happy to fake an allergic reaction or something."

"I don't feel like that will be necessary but I appreciate the effort."

I nod to him once just as we reach the table and all three of them look up at us. Devin's face remains still because she's past the initial shock, but Hadley's jaw drops a bit and Reagan chokes on her drink.

"Hey." I say as casually as possible to them, sitting down in the booth next to Devin and scooting so that Harry can sit and all three of us are squished together. Devin is the first to respond, because like I said, she's slightly used to it by now, but the other two just stare at Harry and I feel compelled to kick them under the table.

"Hello." Harry says to them, giving them a tight lipped smile.

I clear my throat loudly and obviously, prompting them to sit up a bit and they finally spit out words. Both of them introduce themselves, making me silently laugh at their stuttering and I end up giving them a nudge them under the table to at least try to act slightly calm and collected. They can freak out later but I don't want Harry to feel uncomfortable right now.

"So is Niall singl–"

I immediately kick Reagan under the table for the second time, this time after we've ordered, and she snaps her mouth shut while Devin stifles her laughter and Harry smiles and shakes his head.

"How was everyone's day?" I say, and Devin only laughs more.

"Great." Hadley chimes in, nodding a little too enthusiastically. "Ethan and I helped our dad clean out the garage."

"Ethan is her brother." I whisper over to Harry and he nods. "Sounds fun. Reagan? You?" I say at normal volume again and she snaps her head to me.

"I, uh..." She stares at me like she's lost all of the life in her, and I realize this is hopeless just as our food comes and saves me from circumventing every topic imaginable.

I nudge Devin and she collects herself from laughing– barely– and does me a favor by doing her best at creating a conversation that's not centered around the obvious, but still not painfully awkward. Everyone loosens up and I definitely owe Devin for that one because I don't know what I would've done if we had continued to eat in silence.

When our plates are cleared and everyone is done and the sun is setting and the diner starts to clear out from the dinner rush, I'm about to take off with Harry, but the moment I stand up out of the booth, Reagan is yanking my wrist and making me trip over my own feet as she beelines to the bathroom. I look back to Harry with concern and he's just laughing and I roll my eyes and smile.

"What are you–" I laugh as Reagan pummels the door down and we walk in, promptly followed by Devin and Hadley. "Don't just leave him–"

"That was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life."

"What? Sit across from him and eat dinner?"

"Yes!"

"Do you think he would tell me how he really feels about Simon Cowell if I asked?" Hadley suddenly says.

"I thought I prepped myself enough but wow he's so much prettier in person. Scale of one to ten, how much did I embarrass myself? Be honest."

"I guarantee you he has had far more embarrassing interactions with fans before. And I promise you he's not the type to get all cocky when someone gets excited. He's actually nice."

"He was looking at you, you know." Devin chimes in suddenly.

"Well it's great to know that his eyes work."

"Like, looking at you looking at you."

"Admiring." Hadley adds. "I saw it too."

"I don't think–"

"I know you're not about to say something negative." Devin says, and I promptly shut my mouth. "Hm." She sasses me.

"All I'm saying is that he likes what he sees, clearly. Whenever you laughed he got way too smiley for it to be nothing." Hadley nods.

"This is not some rom-com-magical-Hallmark movie-fairytale land where the big hot shot is going to fall in love with the small town girl and realize the true meaning of life!" I spit out. "Harry and I are friends, and we just hang out together, and in a couple months he's gonna go back to his big tour and his big life and forget about me and that's fine and everyone will move on. And nothing else is gonna happen."

"Are you trying to convince us or yourself?"

I don't know.

I sigh. "Dinner was lovely. I will see you all when I see you. Now, if you'll excuse me..." I turn around, swinging open the door to the bathroom and stalking my way out of there before they drive me crazy.

I see Harry sitting back down in the booth looking at his phone. His eyes snap up when he senses me approaching and he smiles and stands up.

"Everything okay?" He chuckles, looking at me with those green eyes that have had me under a spell since that first night and I nod.

Who was I trying to convince?

"Great. Ready?"

He nods. "Anywhere in mind?"

"Um..." I think for a moment, "wanna take the surfboard back to the cafe?"

In other words, how do I make today last as long as possible?

"Lead the way."

***

"Are you sure you don't need help?"

"It's fine. Plus you're too short." Harry smirks as he hauls the board off the top of the bus and I smack his arm.

"Unnecessary."

"Necessary."

"Just come on." I open the front door of the cafe and let him go inside first as he carries the board.

It's quiet when we walk in and I don't see Stevie anywhere, and it's normal for there to be no customers sitting around at this hour.

"Okay, it goes up there." I point to the hooks above the front window that it sits on.

I watch as Harry pulls out the nearest chair and stands up on it, effortlessly placing the board in the hooks and hopping back down when I usually have to strain my arms to reach high enough.

"Maybe I am a little short..." I mumble in defeat as Harry slides the chair back under the table and chuckles.

"Told you." He circles around me and goes straight for the vinyl bins, filing through them for a few seconds and then his face lights up. "I didn't know this one was here."

He doesn't show me what it is before dropping it in the record player and carefully moving the needle onto the vinyl. The static fills the air before the piano introduction to 'Your Song' by Elton John starts to play.

"A classic." I smile as he agrees.

"Wanna dance?" He proposes and I raise my eyebrows, but he doesn't really give me a choice before he gently grabs my hands and I have to force myself to ignore the sparks that fly and zap and ignite something in me at the contact.

He spins me under his arm and I laugh, letting him spin under my arm and then my breath is caught in my throat when he gently places his hand on my waist and I just know my cheeks are fire truck red right now and not because of the sunburn and wow his dimples are really distinct up close and I know this is just a harmless little dance for fun and most likely means nothing but holy shit is nothing making me feel everything

"Ready for the chorus?" Harry suddenly snaps me out of my...whatever that was...did I space out for the entire first verse?

He steps away at the pre-chorus and runs behind the counter, snatching up a spoon in preparation to give what I hope is the performance of a lifetime.

"And you can tell everybody!" He sings out into his spoon, and I burst out laughing at the passion with which he sings, "this is your song..."

"It's mine?" I gasp dramatically and he nods dramatically.

"It may be quite simple but...now that it's done..."

This is the first time he's sung around me– in person, that is, and not through my phone speakers.

"I hope you don't mind," he repeats twice, "that I put down in words..."

"I do mind, actually."

"How wonderful life is while you're in the world." He shakes his head at me and smiles as he continues, the small instrumental break now playing before the next verse.

"I feel like I'm getting my own private concert."

"Appreciate it. Most people don't get the luxury. I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss..." He continues the song, dancing around the room while I laugh at him as he sings into his spoon and bumps into tables and chairs.

He nails every note of the song as he sings along with, more like over, Elton John, and when the last chords of the instruments are playing through the cafe, he's spinning me under his arm again and again for a big finale and even tries to dip me, but it doesn't really work because I'm laughing so hard.

"You're a terrible dancer." He shakes his head at me as he pulls me up to stand up straight, not letting go of my hand after the fact.

"Apologies. I'm not a good singer either so I have no idea what my redeeming quality is."

"It's your fish facts. Those are great."

"My fish facts?"

"If you want the place to yourselves, just say the word." I whip my head over to the bar where Stevie is emerging from the kitchen, followed by my mom, and I remember her saying she was going to come see Stevie. Have they been here the whole time?

"Oh, hey. Sorry." I chuckle as I try to catch my breath. "We're fine. Carry on. Ignore us." I say, looking over to my mom whose eyebrows are raised and arms are crossed like she's just caught me red handed.

"Whatever you say..." Stevie mumbles, retreating back into the kitchen and my mom follows her after a few moments and I turn back to Harry.

"Your turn." He says, tossing me the spoon and waiting for me to go choose and play and perform a song.

"But I can't sing. And according to you I can't dance." I cross my arms.

"Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me." He winks playfully. "Now come on, I'm waiting."

Ugh, fine. I was definitely trying to convince myself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 4K 35
"You don't have the right anymore to look at him like that, Harry." Liam shakes his head as he watches the curly boy glaring at his ex-boyfriend and...
8.8K 136 57
Vada Carter. 18 years old. Not famous, just a stupid girl. Harry Styles. 19 years old. Very famous, but he's just a stupid boy. "You can't say stuff...
6.8K 446 34
In which a boy in a bookstore finds a broken boy and they fall in love and fix each other. - - 'Tell me a story, L-lou.' Harry asked, sleepy. 'What a...
258K 6K 51
"Look Harry, I don't know what you're getting at here, but I'm really not looking for anything right now, and I am so busy with work, and -" "You wo...