QUEEN OF HEARTS

By deepapi

"No matter how strong you are, there's always that one person who can make you weak." "Please hold me tight... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE.
2. A NEW START
3. TAKE IT EASY.
4. THANK YOU.
5. YOU'RE NOT OKAY.
6. I FEEL...EMPTY
7. LETTING GO
8. I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP.
9. FAMILY.
10. WE MET BY CHANCE AND BECAME FRIENDS BY CHOICE.
11. TO LIFE AND NEW BEGINNINGS.
12. LEAVING THE PAST BEHIND.
13. HAVING FUN.
14. THIS IS IT, WHERE I BELONG.
15. I DON'T BELIEVE IN LOVE.
16. WHAT'S YOUR WORST FEAR?
17. IT'S A GOOD DAY.
18. LET ME IN
19. A ROUGH MORNING
20. JUST WING IT
21. GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.
22. I LOVE HAVING HIM AROUND.
23. I CARE ABOUT YOU.
24. I STILL WANT YOU.
25. INTO YOUR ARMS
26. A BAD NIGHT.
27. NAUGHTY HANDS.
28. LOSING GAME.
29. YEARNING FOR YOU.
30. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
31. I SURRENDER.
32. LUCAS AND I.
33. DAD, MIA IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND I LOVE IT.
34. DETERGENT SAGA.
35. I'M NOT GIVING UP ON LUCAS AND I.
36. OPTIMISTIC.
37. FIRST DATE.
38. SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT.
39. WE KEEP ON FIGHTING.
40. BUTTERFLY.

1. YOU'RE NOT ALL THAT.

533 90 450
By deepapi

🦋MIA🦋

The airport is a bustling hive of activities, travellers from all walks of life dressed in diverse cultural attire arriving back home from long journeys as others take awaited flights, the sounds of rolling suitcases intermingling with the burst of laughter and heartfelt family reunions.

As I step out of the private jet, I catch a glimpse of families embracing with tears of joy streaming down their faces as they welcome their loved ones back home, friends bidding tearful goodbyes, their voices a blend of comfort and love. I take a deep breath as I envision the warm embraces of my family awaiting me but as I make my way through the airport, no familiar face comes to sight. The absence of their presence instantly washes over me with a mixture of emotions, sadness, longing and disappointment. My anticipation of a joyful reunion after months of being away in Rome, Italy crumbles leaving a void in my heart.

A cold drafty wind is what ushers me back home, cold shivers raking through my skin as I run towards a sleek black Rolls Royce phantom. The black lace mermaid gown adorning my body drapes like a waterfall, caressing the air with every step I take, my purple heels striking the ground. I'm running so fast I hope I don't fall face flat on the ground like last time. Reaching the car I swing open the passenger door slipping inside, the soft and cozy hand stitched leather seat warm in the enclosed space as I roll up the windows to shield myself from the harsh breeze. Leaning back, I shut my eyes in exhaustion and jet lag unable to master another ounce of strength. This has been my life as a fashion model since I turned thirteen years old, I'm nineteen now. All these years have been a rigorous routine filled with runway shows, fashion weeks, fittings and high profile photoshoots for prestigious fashion magazines and tv commercials.

Every morning when I wake up I prepare myself for yet another day in the spotlight. The latest designer outfits are carefully selected for me by talented stylists to showcase my impeccable taste in fashion with each fabric whether satin, chiffon or lace stunningly crafted into a work of art. Back to back appointments is what awaits me at every crack of dawn until the night winds down.

I attended a prestigious private high school and whenever I was on breaks and holidays, all I did was model for luxurious fashion brands that crowned me their brand ambassador and worshipped the ground I walk on. I never spend my days going out, having fun with friends or indulging in the little pleasures of life. My world revolves around a team of makeup artists, hairstylists, fashion designers, modeling agents, photographers, celebrities and personal bodyguards, a life that demands perfection.

My life is a carefully choreographed routine that has me doing the same dance every single day. The cycle repeats itself and I'm trapped in a never ending loop of a colourless and soul sucking void. I can't help but wonder what it would feel like to untangle myself from the chains of my predictable existence and embrace exploration of something more.

I should have joined university last year but ended up taking a gap year because of my busy career that demands dedication and unyielding resilience. Now I'm finally ready to join tomorrow to further my studies. It'll be the same monotonous routine like it has been all these years, school, studies and modeling.

Despite the demanding and fast paced world of fashion and modelling full of relentless and unpredictable work schedules, I don't mind being a part of it. My parents are beyond proud of me and the tremendous achievements I've garnered through the years. They've done alot for me and all I want is to give back and make them proud. That's why I remain passionate and dedicated about my craft. After all, I'm lucky enough to be living a dream that only a selected few get to experience.

My parents dream for me has always been to be a super model.

As I settle into the plush seats warmth envelopes me in a cocoon of comfort, embracing my body and soothing my senses. The coziness inside offers me solace and a shield from the harsh breeze outside. "Don't I deserve atleast a welcome back home greeting, Mr. Ezekiel," my lips curve into a smile as I scroll through my phone, my thumb gliding across the smooth glass surface. My driver remains silent and I only shrug not bothering to glance at him. He has been my driver for years and our conversations are always not merely a means of passing time but a deep harmonious exchange of perspectives and ideas. He's a chatty old man with worldly knowledge and I always look forward to talking to him. His silence right now is surprising considering he hasn't seen me this past month but I don't want to push him into talking to me, maybe he had an awful day just like me and isn't in the mood for chit chat.

My thumb continues gliding across the glass of my phone as I search for information on the latest business dinners and events that my parents must be attending for them to miss coming to pick me up at the airport. A cascade of content glides up, my gaze fixated on every detail. News articles, posts and messages soon appear together with their pictures at a grand corporate dinner party they've attended. Just like I expected, they prioritized their booming businesses over welcoming me back home. My heart aches for their company but reality hasn't matched my expectations.

The phone rings and I instantly recognize my father's number on the caller ID. I eargely pick it up pressing it to my ear in excitement and anticipation. "Hello pumpkin," his warm greeting carries a familiar sense of comfort putting my restless mind at ease.

"Hello dad."

"Your mother and I are eagerly looking forward to seeing you. Have you already returned to the country?"

"Yes, I arrived a few minutes ago. Mr. Ezekiel is present to collect me, and I'm heading directly home."

"Welcome back home, my dear. Your mother and I are attending a corporate business dinner party in Bliss International hotel. Please drop by here first before going home. You're aware that your presence in grand functions like this enhances our business image and increases brand visibility."

A heavy sigh escapes at my lips at his request. "Okay." Because of my popularity and fame, I have to make appearances at my parents' business events and conferences to generate media buzz and reinforce their reputation as groundbreaking and successful entrepreneurs. My influence attracts more attention to their ventures and brings in potential business partners. I don't mind lending my fame and credibility to my parents but tonight my only wish was to go back home to my serene sanctuary and unwind from a long month of exhaustion and constant scrutiny but now that one wish has been snatched from me. A night to myself is my only wish but I guess I'm asking for too much. "Mr. Ezekiel please take me to Bliss International hotel, my parents are anticipating my arrival."

As the car glides out of the airport, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and baked goods wafts in the air from the cafes lined around for travelers to pause and indulge in the flavours but I can't do that because time is of the uttermost essence to me. My parents are expecting me and I can't keep them waiting in the name of satisfying my cravings.

As miles role by, a deafening silence engulfs the driver and I in the car, one that palpable and suffocating especially because he's always chatty and full of topics to talk about. "For fuck sake Mr. Ezekiel, say something. Your silence is about to drive me insane and while you're at it, turn on the A/C please, it's freezing cold in here. You should slow down a bit too, I need to change my outfit to a new one for the dinner party." I quickly take out one of the black tiered gowns neatly arranged in my tote bag running my fingers on it in gladness that it's not wrinkled. I always change in the car like this most of the time because I rarely have enough time to go back home and change. It's always one appointment to the next for me and I rarely have time for myself. I'm accustomed to it now and always try to make it work.

A press on a tiny button adjusts the seat and it reclines creating additional space as I take off the dress I'm wearing, slipping my feet into the tiered gown while making sure to keep my legs together. Slowly I pull up the dress to my waist sliding my arms gently in the sleeves. Once it sits on my torso I fasten the buttons tugging the dress to smooth it out. With a mirror in hand I restyle my hair letting the locks cascade in loose waves to frame my face. Picking the lipstick laying in my small makeup bag, I paint my lips with its brick red shade. The tranquility of the moment is suddenly shattered when the front of the car connects with an obstacle, the car swerving off the road and the impact making the lipstick smear all over my lips and cheek.

Okay this driver is getting on my nerves now.

"What's wrong with you today?" I inquire, dabbing away the lipstick smudge from my lips and cheek using a napkin. "You're driving like a maniac. If you're having problems, leave them at home. I don't need you coming to work for me unfocused and distracted. If you continue to be careless, you'll be jobless by the end of the evening." I despise being around incompetent people who don't know how to do their job. "Stop playing those irritating and weird songs," I caution him and he remains silent just like he has been throughout the ride. He never plays these kind of songs in the car because he clearly knows I hate listening to them.

Rather than fulfilling my request to turn off the radio, he instead cranks up the music in the car, startling me by the deafening volume. My heart nearly leaps out of my chest as I'm frightened by the sudden jolt.

What the hell is wrong with this driver today. It's like he woke up with one mission, to ruin my night. So miserable. "I can see you don't value your job." I groan in irritation only for him to drive faster, the car swerving over and over again on the road as I grip the edges of my seat tightly, my muscles tensing. The sounds of screeching tires and blaring horns from passing vehicles further heiten the tension, as if they're collectively echoing their concern. Luckily I have my seatbelt on and securely fastened, the only thread of control I have in this chaotic situation otherwise I would be falling off my seat for who knows how many times because of his insane driving.

Curiosity piqued, I steal a brief glance of the man through the rear view mirror, yet regrettably, I'm unable to discern his face with clarity. Several thick locks of his jet black hair dangle loosely across his forehead, obscuring his eyes from view. Adorning his substantial forearms are captivating tattoos, inked and encompassing his huge forearms. Beneath the taut surface of his skin, the veins trace, pulsating in synchrony with each beat coursing beneath his taut skin and pulsating with each beat of his heart as he firmly clutches the steering wheel. He's muscular, way muscular than Mr. Ezekiel.

Wait, this is not my usual driver!

Please don't tell me....

Before I can utter a word and my mouth wide agape, the mysterious driver abruptly halts the car by the side of the road stepping out hastily. He approaches my side with large strides swinging the door wide open and beckoning for me to step out. "Get the fuck out," he commands in a deep, husky voice that bears not familiarity. "Get the fuck out, right now!"

Talk about being rude.

Rolling my eyes, I firmly grasp the hem of my gown before emerging from the car calmly and totally unbothered while directing my gaze forward, fixing it upon his imposing and likely 6'3" figure. My inquisitive gaze trails his jet black hair to his dark and intense blue eyes with pupils flecked with green like beach pebbles, holding no emotion whatsoever, broad bulky shoulders, toned chest, bulging biceps and forearms with lean muscles underneath the black polo tshirt. Then I glance back at his eyes that seem to be darkening, making me shift and a series of cold chills surging through my body. His tall and towering frame makes him look like a king infront of his subjects, his presence exuding a captivating mix of confidence.

He has this incredibly strong aura and energy emanating from him that makes one want to keep looking at him, no matter how hard you try not to, luring you in.

His dark, manacing eyes still fixed on me, scanning me up and down, I open my mouth to curse at him but no words come out. "Who are you?" I finally manage to ask, trying not to choke on my words. "Why're you driving my car and what did you do to my driver. Did you kidnap him, tie him up somewhere?" I start panicking, the man staring at me with his blank expression unrelenting. "What did you do, I'm calling the police."

With a sudden surge of panic coursing through me, I hastily retrieve my phone from my handbag as the man shoves his hands into his pockets, the same calm and unbothered look still plastered on his face. "You're in my taxi," he finally asserts and that makes me glance at him, his voice resonating with deep, firm and mature tone. As a 5'10" woman, standing before a likely 6'3" man, I can't help but feel short. "You ran like the mad woman you are and hopped into my car. Since you were claiming to be in a hurry, I decided to give you a ride but your whiny voice is beyond irritating and you talk too much. I can't stand it."

Checking the plate number of the car I realize it's not mine and that he's right. Glancing at him again I find his scrutinizing gaze still on me which makes me shift and I quickly avert my gaze from him, my heart racing. There's something about his dark cloudy eyes and mysterious nature that make him scary. "Staring is creepy, it's also rude to stare." My voice comes out in a quiver, surprising me. What's wrong with me tonight, I'm always stern with everyone?

He refrains from averting his gaze, his stare growing more fervent as he brushes aside a strand of hair that's hanging over his eyes.

"You are not all that." He finally says and a frown envelops my face instantly. I don't know why but that really hit a spot.

Despite being a complete stranger, his comment has struck a chord with my insecurities, because my entire existence revolves around seeking validation and approval from other people regarding my physical appearance, clothing choices, dietary habits and every aspect of my life. I've succumbed to the influence of others' opinions and fallen into the perilous trap of idealized perfection, pursuing an unattainable standard of perfection.

Just as I'm about to unleash all my frustrations and direct a barrage of curses at him, my phone rings, interrupting my plans. To my surprise, it's Mr. Ezekiel, my driver, on the other line. As I answer the call, his phone also rings and I can hear shouting and complains, the caller demanding to know where he is and why he hasn't arrived at the airport to pick him up. After informing my driver of my location, I end the call.

"I pity your driver, he must be going through a living hell everyday working for you." He blurts out, annoyance laced in his velvety voice.

"I went through a living hell just from this one terrible ride you gave me, so I guess we're even. Why don't you do the both of us a favour and get the hell out of here." I retort, my voice sounding exasperated and full of annoyance. This man has undeniably succeeded in ruining my entire night. Our gazes lock once more, neither of us looking away. Unable to withstand the intensity of his penetrating stare any longer, I avert my gaze while trying so hard not to squirm under his unwavering deep gaze.

"Let me save myself from this torture of being around you." He walks away from me and towards the car, opening the door. "Your annoying presence is sucking the energy out of me. You're a huge mess."

Even after trying so hard no to, I still find myself staring at him. I clearly told him minutes ago that staring is creepy and rude yet here I am, doing the same thing. With deep thoughtful blue eyes, his face angular and his jawline sharp, he's graced with precise features. If I continue staring at him I'll probably be able to define all those prominent features he has. What the hell is wrong with me?

As I stand on the side of the road, my eyes fixated on the departing figure, a mix of emotions swirl within me. The bitter taste of disappointment mingles with the chill of the night air, seeping into my bones and leaving me vulnerable and exposed. All I want is to divert my gaze from him and escape the unsettling encounter between us but something compels me to keep my eyes locked on him. He drives off in his car leaving me standing alone and shivering in the frigid night air. I find myself hugging my body in a desperate attempt to generate warmth and ward off the biting cold. My arms wrap tightly around me, providing a feeble shield. "How wonderful." I sarcastically remark, once more, my day has been utterly ruined. This time by a total stranger who is not only scary and intimidating but rude too. A complete and utter jerk.

Mr. Ezekiel arrives after a few minutes and I slip into the car, sighing in relief and tossing my tote bag on the seat next to me. He pulls out into the road, driving to the venue and I don't bother asking him where he was. I know he was already at the airport waiting for me but I mistook the annoying stranger's black Rolls Royce to mine since I was in a hurry. "Welcome back home Ms. Lazano. It's a delight to have you back home." He glances at me through the rearview mirror, a wide smile on his face.

"Thank you."

"I have a gift for you, to welcome you back." He picks a bar of chocolate from the dashboard holding it out to me and I smile taking it and tearing off the wrapper. Bringing the velvety dark and delectable treat closer to my nose I inhale deeply, the aroma of chocolate wafting in the air. In anticipation I break off a piece, placing it on my tongue and allowing it to melt away, tantalising my taste buds. Whenever I arrive back home from trips, he makes sure to give me chocolate to welcome me back.

We arrive at the venue and I hurry out of the car, rushing inside the hotel ballroom already bored out of my mind even though I just got here. This is exactly what happens when your parents force you to attend a grand corporate dinner party with them. A party full of ultra wealthy and royal old folks dressed in designer attire, busy showing off and bragging about their riches and everything they have while trying to bring others down. All people do here is talk about their huge achievements over the years and how powerful and influential they are. It's a competition on who has more than the other.

The guests are swaying side to side to the live orchestra that's filling the atmosphere with enchanting melodies while mingling and holding conversations about their huge companies and organizations in an attempt to make themselves look superior. A team of impeccably dressed waitstaff are walking around to cater for their needs, trays full of champagne flutes in hand. Cameras are flashing in every corner of the ballroom, photographers and paparazzi trying to get the best shots and stories for the tabloids. Already used to this kind of environment, I head straight to the VVIP table reserved for me.

The society has a common perception that being a celebrity and public figure is fun and means you have everything in life. You're filthy rich, have huge numbers of fans, you're recognized everywhere you go, get special treatment wherever you go and have an advantage because job opportunities present themselves to you. Being a celebrity opens many doors in life which would have remained shut had fame not been achieved.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side, being a celebrity comes with it's challenges and downsides. Celebrities have no privacy, people constantly judge you, your famous status attracts so many fake friends and you can't do things that an average person can, like going to the grocery store without getting mobbed by paparazzi and pictures of you splashed in the tabloids the next day. Not to forget stalkers whose obsession can turn into threats and physical harm. Such things stop you from indulging in the little pleasures of life.

Your life isn't yours anymore, instead it's for the public.

This is the kind of life I'm living as a celebrity and public figure. My modelling career is huge and successful and everywhere I go, people recognize me. Paparazzi pop out of nowhere taking pictures of me and sometimes the endless flashing of cameras make me wince.

Breathing out a heavy sigh I sit down staring at the tiny tattoos inked on my fingers to distract myself. Right now I have seven different small and cute tattoos on my fingers that I got over the years. Tattoos make me feel like I'm my own person and keeps me grounded amidst life's storms and turbulent waters.

My feet are now sore to the point that it feels like they're chained to heavy stones and all I can do is drag myself. Tapping my fingers on the table my closest friends finally join me. Jodan, one of my bestfriends holds my hand pulling me up and wraps his arms around me in a tight embrace, spinning me around before pulling back. He smiles widely at me as he sits down taking out a hip flask from the pocket of the grey Hugo Boss blazer he has on. I'm sure it either has vodka or whiskey in it. This guy always spins me around whenever he hugs me just to get on my nerves. I'm a bit dizzy now. "What the hell are you drinking now?" I point at the hip flask as he takes a sip scowling at the taste and passing it to Aria, his girlfriend and my bestfriend too. Their parents must have dragged them to this event like mine did to me.

"Vodka. This is not my type of party, with all these old folks dancing around, I'm already bored out of my fucking mind." Jodan sighs leaning back on the chair. Aria rests her head on the table and he tenderly runs his fingers through her lustrous coal black hair.

Jodan, Aria, Tommy, Vin and I have joined Barmford private University and commencing our first year as freshmen tomorrow. Joining university marks an exciting and significant milestone in one's academic journey and students always look forward to university life and experiencing the new life there. Most of them are full of excitement for what's to come. When it comes to me, it's a contrast, I'm not excited about it and I'm not looking forward to my four years there.

I've not checked out the dorms so I'll do that tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should reside in the dorms or buy myself an apartment close to campus. I've heard stories of horrific and unbearable roommates that irked me.

As my mind wonders, my parents come to sight on the dance floor busy holding conversations with the Senator, my mum all smiles but I know it's fake. She would rather be in a spa all day than make unnecessary conversations with strangers she'll probably never talk to again. Draped in a tailored black bodycon dress hugging her figure and embracing her slender waist, she crosses her arms against her chest, maintaining her poised and confident stature. Then she starts tapping her black Christian louboutin pumps on the polished hardwood floor, the sound echoing in the room. I whistle at her and she turns around meeting my eyes with her sparkling emerald green ones, her gaze framed by long and dark lashes. Her lips curve into a smirk and she does the gun sign with her fingers like she's shooting herself, drawing a loud laugh out of me. She's also bored of this corporate dinner party and only attended to support dad and be by his side. She's dad's biggest cheerleader and her support for him is unwavering.

Dad takes a quick notice of what mum has done and glances my way before looking back at her as I laugh harder. He leans in, whispering in her ear and she slaps his hand away playfully before walking out of the room elegantly. Dad's gaze remains fixated on her and he excuses himself, following her out in haste.

I don't even want to think of what they're probably going to do. I'm blessed with two total freaks in the name of parents.

My parents have shared the sacred bond of marriage for twenty two years now and will be celebrating their twenty third anniversary soon. Even after all these years, the enduring flame of love continues to burn brightly within their hearts.

Their love is evident in the way their eyes light up when they catch each other's gaze.

They met in high school and dad never stops talking about how mum played hard to get all those four years but he never gave up on her because deep down he knew he had met his future wife. The moment he set eyes on her and she said hello to him, he knew right there and then that she was the one. Even before they started dating he already knew and felt that they would be together for a lifetime, their souls destined to intertwine. My siblings and I have heard that story so many times that now we know it word to word. Mum and dad are forever love sick teenagers and it's awe inspiring.

"Pass the hip flask to me." Holding my hand out to Jodan he picks the hip flask throwing it my way. Bringing it to my mouth I take a sip of the liquid before chugging it down and gasping as it glides across my tongue and burns my throat leaving a lingering after taste of bitterness that clings to the back of my throat. Since the hip flask is now empty, I get up grabbing two glasses of champagne from one of the waiters' tray who remains standing next to me and just giving me a weary look as I drink from one glass to get rid of the sour vodka after taste stuck in my mouth, ready to gulp down the other.

"Move along." I wave him off and he promptly retreats to another section of the ballroom.

With a heavy sigh I look around wondering what I'm doing. This isn't clearly how I expected my night to be. It has been terrible right from the second I got inside that stranger's taxi.

I would rather be in bed sleeping soundly than be here right now.

Noticing that my parents aren't back yet, I grab Jodan and Aria's hands pulling them out of the ballroom with me. Swaying in drowsiness because of all the vodka and champagne I've drunk tonight and almost tripping on the long gown, I rip the bottom part of it, my friends giving me odd looks.

"I was never going to wear it again anyway." I shrug throwing away the ripped part.

Reaching the parking lot I open the door slipping into the backseat of Jodan's sleek black Bentley continental GT V8. With Aria in the passenger seat and Jodan in the driver's seat, he drives out of the vicinity once we've all strapped our seatbelts. All I want is to get home, take a long warm bath and have a good night sleep on my cozy bed.

As I wait for my first day at the university tomorrow, a whirlwind of emotions flood my mind as I wonder how it's going to be. The anticipation is both overwhelming and exhilarating, like it's going to be a moment that marks the beginning of a new chapter in my life. The uncertainty of this new beginning is a weight that bears down on my shoulders. Will it pull me deep into the abyss of darkness or bring me into my power?

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

AUTHOR'S RANT.

Quote of the chapter.

♥️YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL♥️

Feel free to leave as many comments as you want and vote if you like it. Let me know what you think.

Thank you so much for reading❤. Have a nice day/night❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...