I've Got What I Wanted

By Phoenix-54

Sequel to I Want Mr Baker! After hiding their relationship for a year, Riley Spence and Caleb Baker finally h... More

I've Got What I Wanted. Part 1
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 2
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 3
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 4
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 5
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 6
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 7
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 8
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 9
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 10
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 11
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 12
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 13
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 14
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 15
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 16
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 17
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 18
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 19
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 20
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 21
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 22
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 23
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 24
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 25
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 26
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 27
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 28
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 29
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 30
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 31
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 32
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 33
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 34
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 35
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 36
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 37
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 38
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 39
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 41
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 42
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 43
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 44
I've Got What I Wanted. Epilouge
IGWIW Valentine's Special Chapter

I've Got What I Wanted. Part 40

11.3K 232 17
By Phoenix-54

Hey! :) Long time eh? Thankfully my exams have finished :) I'm really happy with how they went, with the exception of about one and a half. But what can you do :) This story if pretty much done. Just a few more chapters, so hopefully it'll be done soon. Though, I will miss writing with Riley and Caleb :) But I like my new story :D 
Anyways, I hope you all enjoy. And if you had exams I hope they went well for you :)
Please Vote, Comment and Become a Fan.
Like me on Facebook and Follow me on Twitter :)
Later guys! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER FORTY

"Can you look after Michael for a few hours?" I asked my mum walking around trying to get ready.

"Of course I will. Are you two going out?" She happily agreed.

"Yeah we have something to do." I tried to be as vague as possible, without her asking questions. "We'll be over in around half an hour."

"Okay, see you soon."

I hung up and threw my phone on the bed. "Did she say she'd look after him?" Caleb said coming out of the bathroom. I looked up at him and nodded. "Good," he walked over to me fixing his tie.

Adam's trial is today and I'm so nervous. I still haven't told anyone that it was him. For two months I've tried to forget about it. And Michael and Caleb really helped me do that. Just seeing Michael change slightly every week made time go by quickly. It seems like only yesterday when we saw him roll onto his stomach. When in reality, it was three weeks ago. Now he's laughing every time he's playing with a toy, or when he sees Caleb or me.

And Caleb was there through it all as well. He would try and be home as much as possible, making sure he doesn't miss anything. And I love that he tried to do that. But I didn't want him to start neglecting his job. He's worked so hard to be where he is; head of the History department, deputy senior teacher and coaching the head rugby team. I don't want him to lose any of that because he's skipping things. But all we have to do is sort this stuff out with Adam, and everything will be perfect.

"I was thinking," Caleb cut through my thoughts. "Since your mum has Michael, we could go out to dinner after."

I looked up at him and smiled. "Yeah, that sounds nice. It's been ages since we've been out." I stood up and walked over to him.

"How're you feeling?" He smiled slightly, stroking my jaw with his fingers.

"I don't know really. I don't know what to think. I just know that I want this over with. I have this feeling that something bad is going to happen." I was really happy when he wrapped his arms around my neck, and pulled me into his chest for a hug.

"It'll be fine Babe." He reassured as I slipped my arms around his waist. "If we just get through this then we can forget about it. But if you don't want to go we don't have to."

"No I want to go to see the end of this." I rested my cheek against his chest, closing my eyes.

"Well I just hope that bastard gets what's coming to him. Whatever he gets, it won't be anywhere near what I would've done to him." He sounded so angry and serious. Is it weird I thought that made him a little bit hotter?

"Just think; you're pissing him off by just being with me." I pulled back slightly and smiled at him.

“That makes me feel slightly better.” He chuckled, rubbing my back. “But, I do have a weird feeling in my stomach as well.” He kissed my forehead before sitting on the bed.

“That something bad is going to happen.” I sat down on the stool in front of him. I thought I was crazy for having this feeling. But if he is too, I feel a little less crazy. 

“Not that something bad is going. Just that something is going to happen that we won’t like.” He linked his fingers together, resting his elbows on his knees. “Like he’ll get a sentence we don’t like or he just gets off scot-free. I just feel like we aren’t going to like something.” He looked up at me and shrugged. “It’s just a feeling. I really don’t think anything will happen.”

I smiled, tucking my fringe behind my ear. “I guess we’ll see what happens. And just think,” I stood up and walked over to him. I sat down in his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck. “We’re going out to dinner after. Just me and you,” I smirked resting my forehead against his. He smiled, pulling my tightly against his chest.

“You’re actually on fire today. You’re saying all the right things to make me feel better.”

I giggled and moved my head down to his neck. “I’m just amazing,” I said before nuzzling the base of his neck.

“You’re more than amazing,” he whispered brushing my hair back. I laughed and kissed his cheek before pulling away from him.

“I really need to find this book that you’re getting these lines from. Is that what you do when I’m sleeping?” I questioned with a smirk, raising my eyebrows. “Once I fall asleep you read up on new lines to use on me the next day.”

He laughed and fell back onto the bed. “You’ll never find it. I’ve hidden it in a place that you’ll never come across.” He smiled, folding his arms behind his head. I really think he gets hotter the longer I know him. “What’re you thinking about?” He asked, clearly curious as to why I was just staring at him. I shook my head, turning around to put my legs on either side of him.

“No, I’m not telling you. It’ll only make your ego so much bigger.” Honestly, I’m just too embarrassed to tell him.

“It’s clearly me,” he said with a cocky smile.

“See,” I exclaimed, the heat rising in my cheeks. “I didn’t even have to say it and you’re ego has just grown. If it grows anymore you’ll be bound to this room.”

He laughed, shaking his head slightly in amusement. “My ego just gets bigger because you make it grow. I was a very humble man before I met you.” He tilted his head to the side, trying to look serious.

“Yeah of course you were.” I moved off of his lap and sat beside him. “I vaguely remember having this teacher that was self-centred, cocky and egotistical. And I’m sure there were loads of times when I wanted to punch him in the face.” I raised my eyebrows trying to look as serious as he did.

“Really; who was that? I don’t remember working with a guy that was like that.” He smirked and pushed himself up onto his elbows.

“Well then doesn’t that only leave on person then? You might want to change your personality.” I smiled before standing up from the bed.

“The personality you fell in love with?” He questioned as I walked over to my shoes.

“Who said I was in love with your personality? I just say I’m in love with you until my one true love comes by.” I said dramatically, slipping my shoes on.

I really don’t think that’ll ever happen because I’ve got my true love. And I know that’s really cheesy, but it’s the truth. Not many people find the love of their life until later in life, or they never find them. But I’ve got him at nineteen. I started dating him when I was sixteen. And I don’t think my life would be half of good as it is now. I know that all of this with Adam probably wouldn’t have happened. And I would still be in University. But I wouldn’t have Caleb or Michael. I wouldn’t be living with the man I love, or I wouldn’t have a child with him. I really don’t think my life could be any better than it is.

“But he’s already come by, Baby.” His cocky voice carried over to me. I turned around and shrugged. “What’s there to shrug about?” He pushed himself off of the bed and walked over to me.

“That may or may not be true.” I had to look up at him as he stopped in front of me. Its times like this I wish I was taller.

“We both know that it’s true. This would suggest that it’s very true.” He reached out and pulled my necklace out from my shirt. “I don’t think that’s just a normal ring.” He referred to my engagement ring, on the necklace. He smirked and folded his arms across his chest.

“Why do you think I don’t wear it on my finger? I want guys to see I’m single.” I smirked myself and put it back beneath my shirt.

“Well then I’ll just have to find another way to make sure all the guys know you’re not single.” He moved towards me, placing his hands on my hips. He moved towards my neck and I moved away.

“Not now, Handsome. We have to go.” I pushed his shoulders and smiled at him. But the nerves were starting to build up again. I’m glad that Caleb just took my mind off of it, but now I have to face it. I have to go and see someone who used to be my best friend in court for driving into me. It’s not something that you’d ever imagine having to do.

“Don’t worry about it Riley. I’ll be there with you the whole time. It’ll be finished with in a few hours.” He smiled slightly, stroking my hair back.

“Let’s go then,” I smiled while grabbing his hand. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before we start to get ready to leave.

*

“So, Mr Brown,” the lawyer said standing up. We managed to slip in at the back with Mark, the detective who was carrying out the investigation. Mark told us he doesn’t think Adam’s lawyer is doing very well. Now we are watching the state lawyer question Adam. “Where were you on the day in question?” The lawyer buttoned up his jacket and walked over to Adam.

“I don’t remember.” Adam gave his answer stubbornly. “It was months ago.”

The lawyer nodded, putting his hands in his pockets. He seems like he had a blasé attitude towards the whole thing. “How do you know Miss Spence?”

Adam sighed and leant back in the chair. “We used to go to school together. And she was my girlfriend before I left.” He probably didn’t know I was here. I took a seat behind a tall guy so I could hide behind him.

“And why did you guys break up? Did she break up with you or you her?" The lawyer walked back to his desk and sat on the front of it.

“We just decided to call it quits. But then she didn’t take me back when I asked her.” He was tense when he was telling everyone that. His jaw was clenched and his hands were in fists, his knuckles turning white.

“So that must’ve been hard to take. And then when you come back she’s in another serious relationship?” He was definitely trying to push his buttons. And it seemed to work last time.

“I hardly call it a serious relationship. I don’t give it much longer.”

Caleb gave out a low grunt from beside me. I looked over at him and smirked. He glanced at me with a sheepishly smile. “Sorry,” he whispered sliding his fingers through mine. I rolled my eyes and looked back at the front.

“Well I would think it was serious since they have a child together.” He got up and turned around to face the desk. Before Adam could talk back, the lawyer started again. “Do you have a watch, Mr Brown?” He asked looking for something on his desk.

“No,” Adam definitely knew where he was going with this.

“Did you lose it?” He picked something off the desk and walked over to Adam. “Because I have a watch that looks like it belongs to you. If I’m correct, your friends Riley, Beth and Aaron bought you a watch like this for your eighteenth birthday. Is that correct?” He set the watch on the dock, to let Adam look at it.

“Yeah I have a watch like that?" He grabbed the watch and held it closer to him. "It's in my house somewhere." He put the watch back, before looking back at the man. 

"Are you sure?"

"Your Honour," Adam's lawyer said standing up. "My client just answered his question. I feel Mr Clarke should move on to a different question."

The judge nodded and looked at Mr Clarke. "He has a point Mr Clarke. He's given you his answer so move on." 

Mr Clarke nodded before taking the watch. "I do find it interesting that when officers went to search your house, they never found a watch like this. Nor did they find one in your car. But I'm sure it'll turn up." Mr Clarke smiled slightly before walking back to the desk. "I believe that you got into a verbal altercation with Miss Spence the day before the accident." He sat down in his chair, unbuttoning his jacket. "Do you mind telling the court what that was about?" He rested his elbow on the chair, propping his head up on his fist. I leaned over to Mark and smiled. 

"This guy is good," I said making him laugh slightly. 

"I would hope so since he represents us quite a lot. But if anyone can get the right conviction, it's him." 

I nodded and sat back in my chair. “I’d rather not. It’s personal and is between Riley and me.” He folded his arms across his chest, looking bored.

“You Honour, I believe this to be relevant to the case. What was discussed in that conversation could be what drove Mr Brown to it.” Mr Clarke turned to the judge. He nodded, and motioned for Adam to answer the question. Adam sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“I was just asking her why she was ignoring me. And she said something about the fact I was saying stuff about her relationship.” He said relationship like it didn’t mean anything. Like it was something he thought meant nothing but dirt.

“Well I’ve been told that it was a bit more serious than that. Mr Jack Martin had to intervene because you were shouting at Riley. Is that true?”

“I wasn’t yelling at her we were talking. He’s got it wrong.”

Mr Clarke leant over the desk and lifted up a tape recorder. “I’ve got your interview here. I just thought that I’d end my questioning by playing it. I think it tells the jury everything they need to know.” He hit a button, and set it on the desk. I sat there and listened to his interview again. I still can’t believe I was hearing this. Even after the second time, it’s hard to understand why he would do that.

After the recording finished, Mr Clarke hit a button. “That’s all I have your Honour.” He sat back in his chair, and crossed his leg over the other.

“Very well,” the judge nodded. “Mr Brown you can go back down now.” He told Adam who stood up. “If that’s everything, I think the jury can go back for discussion.” He looked between the lawyers, looking for an answer.

“Actually, your Honour,” Adam’s lawyer said standing up. “I have one question I would like to ask Miss Spence.”

I widened my eyes and looked at Caleb. He looked down at me with concerned eyes. I looked over at Mark and shook my head. “I’m not getting up in front of him.”

Mark nodded and stood up. “Yes Mark, come here.” The judge said seeing Mark stand up. Mark walked down the aisle and through the gates. He walked over to the judge with the two lawyers. I squeezed Caleb’s hand as the talked amongst themselves. After a few minutes they walked away from the judge. “Questioning is at an end. So if the jury could go back and discuss and come up with their judgement, we shall resume in a number of hours.” He dismissed the court, and I let out a breath.

“I nearly had a heart attack.”

Caleb smiled slightly and stood up. “Let’s go get a coffee. I think we’ll be here a while.” He pulled my hand to make me stand up. I held his hand as we made our way out of the court room.

~

“Do you think they’ll take long?” I asked Caleb, sitting down on a bench outside. After thinking I was going to have to get up in front of Adam, I really just needed some fresh air.

“I don’t know; it’s different with every case. But he’s not really got a lot for him. Like, that recording basically says everything.” He sighed and slipped his hand onto my thigh. “We just have to cross our fingers and hope he gets what he deserves.” He looked at me and smiled.

“Well like you said, he’s not got anything for him. I guess we’ll just wait.”

He nodded taking a sip of his coffee. “We won’t be here for too much longer. Well, hopefully, because I’m starving.” He groaned, putting his hand on his stomach to emphasise the point. I laughed and nudged his shoulder with mine.

“I seriously wonder where you put it all. You ate less than two hours ago. There is no way you could be hungry again.” I shook my head in disbelief. “I would love to see what would happen to you if you didn’t go to the gym. Your body might become in proportion to your big head that holds your massive ego.” I smirked, and raised an eyebrow at him.

“And I ‘seriously wonder’,” he mimicked me. “Why I sit here and listen to the abuse you give me.”

I laughed and moved into his side. He wrapped his arm around me, and placed his hand on my side. “I’m just making up for lost time. All those years I had to sit in that classroom, or walking around school, and I wasn't allowed to say anything back to you. All those times you teased me in class, or just generally annoyed me. I’m just getting my own back.” I took a sip of my coffee before resting it on his leg.

“I’m pretty sure you’ve given your fair share over the years.” He said with a slight chuckle.

“Well I don’t think I have.” I brushed some hairs off my trousers, acting like I didn’t care. As long as he can keep me occupied for the next couple of hours, I’ll cut back on the abuse.

~

“I believe you’ve come to a verdict.” The judge said to the jury. One of them nodded and stood up. “What is your verdict on the charges of attempted murder, dangerous driving and fleeing a crime scene?”

I held my breath and gripped Caleb’s hand. He ran his thumb along my hand calmingly. “We find the defendant guilty of all charges.” The man said exactly what I wanted to hear. I let out my breath and closed my eyes. I ignored the rest of what was said, trying to come to terms with what just happened. Part of me was happy, but another part was sad that it was one of old best friends up there. That’s what makes it hard to understand.

I smiled slightly when I felt Caleb rest his head against mine. “It’s finished with Babe.” He whispered in my ear. I turned my head and pressed my lips to his.

“I love you,” I said against his lips. He smiled and squeezed my hand.

“I love you too,” he kissed my temple before pulling me into him.

I can’t believe this is all finished with. I don’t have to worry about him ever again. All I have to do now is tell everyone that it was him. Which I’m really not looking forward to doing. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

720 8 23
You and Colby have just gotten married. And you have your whole life a head of you. You guys have had your "fun" moments but what will happen if some...
731 9 75
Riley is in her second year of college. She is moving forward and leaving behind her sketchy freshman year. Her best friend is the only one who knows...
839 494 50
Riley Mitchell's tumultuous relationship with Arlo Knight has always been rocky and with the addition of the transfer student, Lain Adler, things are...
Forbidden By Kristin

Teen Fiction

572K 12.4K 34
Olivia Chandler thought she had it all until she met the one man who changed everything. Her teacher. They are soul mates in essence but they know ho...