It's Our Secret

By sydsofia13

Juliette and Keira Walsh love being twins. Since childhood, the two girls have been inseparable and together... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Big Steps
Chapter 3 - Who's Most Likely To?
Chapter 4 - Season's Start
Chapter 5 - Everton
Chapter 6 - Space
Chapter 7 - Indi
Chapter 8 - 3:52am
Chapter 9 - Ettie Vs Keira
Chapter 10 - Reuniting
Chapter 11 - Exclusives
Chapter 12 - History
Chapter 13 - Blues
Chapter 14 - Surprises
Chapter 15 - Backstory
Chapter 16 - Make-Do Christmas
Chapter 17 - Moving
Chapter 18 - Ribbons
Chapter 19 - Final Day
Chapter 20 - Roster
Chapter 21 - Sisters
Chapter 22 - Telepathy
Chapter 23 - Keira
Chapter 24 - Mad
Chapter 25 - Heart
Chapter 26 - Groups
Chapter 27 - Substitutions
Chapter 28 - All Too Well
Chapter 29 - Returning
Chapter 30 - Collapsing
Chapter 31 - Time
Chapter 32 - The Truth
Chapter 33 - Bonds
Chapter 34 - Lies
Chapter 35 - She's Back
Chapter 36 - Messages
Chapter 37 - Barcelona
Chapter 38 - Reconciliation
Chapter 39 - Hayley
Chapter 40 - Connections
Chapter 41 - Leah
Chapter 42 - Anger
Chapter 43 - Euros
Chapter 44 - Brisbane
Chapter 45 - Smart Choices
Chapter 46 - Bumps
Chapter 47 - A Year
Chapter 48 - Defensive
Chapter 49 - Tillies Vs Lionesses
Chapter 50 - The Party
Chapter 51 - Ettie and Leah
Chapter 52 - More History
Chapter 53 - Bradie Van Dyk
Chapter 54 - Speaking Out
Chapter 55 - Champions League Final
Chapter 56 - Australia
Chapter 57 - Black Truths
Chapter 58 - White Lies
Chapter 59 - Expiry
Chapter 60 - Soulmates
Chapter 61 - Endings
Chapter 62 - Leah and Hayley
Epilogue
Author's Note
An Update
Ettie's Letters - To Lucy
Ettie's Letters - To Georgia
Ettie's Letters - To Indi
Ettie's Letters - To Hayley
Ettie's Letters - To Leah
The Last Part

Chapter 2 - First Training

12.1K 189 46
By sydsofia13

A few days after my signing with Chelsea, it was announced that Lucy would be signing back with Manchester City after her stint with Lyon. Keira had found long distance to be challenging, but doable. Both her and Lucy hated being apart for such long periods, but when they were together, whether it was for camp or for the off season, they savoured every moment together.

I realised that when Lucy returned to Manchester, it was one full back leaving and another returning. A full back trade, in a sense.

Lucy bronze set to Return to Manchester City after star, Ettie Walsh, makes the move to Chelsea

Lucy Bronze, one of the best football players in the world at this moment, has recently announced her resigning with the English Football team, Manchester City. Bronze's previous stint at Manchester came before her three year run with the French team, Lyon. Bronze is a three time UEFA Women's Champions League title holder, after winning the competition three consecutive times over her period at Lyon.

Winner of the BBC's Women's Footballer of the Year award for the second time in 2020, Bronze is one football's most decorated defenders.

She has been an integral part of the Lionesses side that have reached the semi-finals of three major international tournaments in a row and her return will be seen as a huge boost to City's hopes of reclaiming the WSL crown, as well as their attempts to win a first European title.

This signing comes after City recently lost English Lionesses defender, Ettie Walsh, who signed with Chelsea over the break. Walsh's twin sister, Keira Walsh, will still be playing on the side, while her full back sister has made the move. This move left room for Bronze to come back into the team.
Bronze stated many times that she is "happy to be back." We wish Lucy and Manchester, the best of luck.

I facetimed Keira that night, as I sat on the couch with Leah.
"Hi," I said to Keira.
"Hi Kie!" Leah said as well.
"Hey you both."
"I saw the announcement. Lucy's back?"
"Luce is back." A smile imprinted on her face, obviously happy to have her girlfriend back, not only in the same country, but on the same team as well.
"How'd you manage to convince her?" I asked, laughing.
"It was all her. Apparently she wanted to "see what the English league was like again."" I laughed at this, knowing that the real reason was that she wanted to be back with Keira again.
"Well, now you won't be missing me as much cause you will have her," I added in, slightly biting my lip.
"Ettie, I'm going to miss you just the same, whether Luce is with me or not." This was reassuring. Even though I decided to leave, it still felt nice knowing my sister was going to miss me. Even if it was only a little bit.

We talked for a little while longer, until we turned the phone off and hung up. I had to start to prepare for my first training with Chelsea the next day, and Leah and Jordan had to prepare for their own. The tension in the house is at an all time high at the current moment. Leah and Jordan hadn't been talking, and it felt very weird for me. I felt like an intruder.

"I think I've found a place," I said to Leah, as we were about to head off the couch and go to bed.
"Really? You don't need to rush." She said this with such urgency, that I felt bad for leaving, but I knew I had to.
"I have to Lee. I need to settle in my own place."
"Yeah okay," she said, somewhat sadly. "Where is it?"
"West London. Only a twenty minute car trip from here." She smiled at this, happy to not be too far apart. Although she and Keira were best friends, Leah and I had been close. We had to be, especially seeming how tight Keira and her were. I always tagged along when they went out when we were younger. I know I annoyed them, but they never showed it. But now, Leah and I have a friendship. We have a bond, a connection.
"Okay, that's not too bad," she said, smiling.
"You can come over, whenever you want." We both got up, and went to our rooms. I headed into the spare room, and she headed into her own.

I got up the next morning, and headed to my own training. Millie picked me up from Leah's apartment and we had our own little reunion after a few months apart.
"Ettles!" Millie called out, as I came down the stairs from Leah's apartment. Ettles is the nickname that both Rachel and Millie call me. I'm not sure where it originated from, but now, it is a staple in our friendship. I'm not sure if I have ever heard them actually call me Ettie.
"Mills!" I called out to her, and wrapped my arms around her. "I've missed you, you weirdo!" I said to her, laughing.
"Life has been boring without my boring friend!" Millie replied, laughing.
"I don't understand how that works, but I'll go with it." We drive to training together, listening to music and sending messages to Rachel, who is currently on loan with West Ham this season.

I posted an instagram story - a picture of Millie driving the car.

ettiewalsh7: jealous? @racheldaly3

Rachel replied to the story.

Rachel: Yes, I am jealous! Stop being meannnn!! I miss you both. But I'll see you soon yeah?

Ettie: Of course! I'll be over soon! With drinks :)

"We need to go to Rach's soon. Help her through it. You know?" I said to Millie, as we drove to training.
"Yeah, we should," she replied to me. Rachel had recently broken up with her now ex-girlfriend, Kristie Mewis, who plays for the Houston Dash. She was struggling, but more with being alone than with the break up. She decided that the best thing for her was to come over to the WSL and play a few months away from the Dash. Rachel and Kristie broke up just after they had won the Challenge Cup in 2020. It was a shock to most people. They were very stable, and everyone thought that Rachel had finally settled down. But both Millie and I knew she was restless. She never could do that. At least not yet.

As we turned into the training facilities, I was so excited to go in and meet all the girls. To find the familiar faces that I already knew.

"Are you nervous?" Millie asked me, before we went in. She knows about my history, about my past. She understands my brain, in a way that only a certain few people do.
"A little."
"I'll be right next to you." I smile at this, and we walk inside.

I see so many faces that I recognise but don't know personally. Players like Magda Erikkson, Pernille Harder, Erin Cuthbert, and Sam Kerr.
"Everyone!" Millie said, calling all the girls' attention, "this is Ettie, our new defender!"
"Ettie!" Bethany England said, coming up to me. I knew Beth from national team camps, and so she was a familiar face that I knew.
"Sam! Erin! Come here!" Millie said, in a voice that sounded like a mother scolding her kids. Sam and Erin walked over, laughing and bickering between each other.

"Guys, this is Ettie. One of my cool best friends, unlike you two!" Millie, Erin and Sam were all really close with each other, and Millie often jokes that Rachel and I are her national team besties while they are her club besties. Now, I guess, I am both!

"We are so cool!" Sam said, her Australian accent strong. I often forget that she is Australian, rooting from Perth. Her accent just gives me memories of Hayley. Of her voice. Hayley and Sam are friends, but not close, so it wasn't ever going to be weird between us. Sam is very close with India Harrison, as I am told. They are, apparently, best friends, always together, despite India playing for Arsenal.

"Sam, we can't lie to ourselves," Erin started to say, "we are not cool!" Erin has a very cool, Scottish accent that presents itself heavily when contrasted with Sam's Australian accent, or my English one.
I loved these two - Sam and Erin. They were funny, and outgoing, and made me laugh, even when I felt socially awkward. They were going to be fun. They were going to be my people.

As training commenced that day, I started to find my place. As a full back, I am usually given a more of an attacking role than a center back. It meant that I was able to score, assist, and make runs, which normally, a center back wouldn't be able to do. I was good at being a full back. That's where I thrived. But that changed.

"Ettie," Emma said, as we were about to start training.
"Yeah?" I said.
"I know you are going to find this annoying, but can I see you at center back for this drill please? I want to see what you're like working with Millie and Magda at the back." Although I had played center back before, it wasn't where I was comfortable. But, the whole point of coming to Chelsea was to step out of my comfort zone. To try something new, and experience a different style.
"Yeah, of course."

When I stepped out, I was playing center back. I was in an entirely new position, in an entirely new club. A lot had changed in a day. A lot had changed.

But, surprisingly, I played alright in the new position. Madga, Millie and I worked cohesively, not letting our small team lose in this training drill. We kept position, and I was even able to go up and score a goal from halfway (as we were on a smaller pitch as it was a training drill.)

"And you seriously saying you have never played center back before," Sam said to me, as we sat down together, drinking some water. Sam, who is Australian, is in long sleeves and has tights on, and it's only september. She really hasn't climatized yet.
"Well, a couple times, but I was never that good," I said back to her.
"I've played against a few good center backs, and you're definitely one."
"Who's the best?" I asked her, curious of her response.
"Inds, for sure."
"India Harrison?" I asked her, just confirming we were thinking of the same person.
"Yeah, sorry, I just call her Inds."
"I've heard she is a beast."
"She most definitely is." I've heard a lot of stories about India Harrison, and now that she is over in the WSL, I'll be watching what she does.

We then started up drills again, and I soon got used to playing center back. Although I did make a few errors, none were dangerously costly. I saw Jess Carter on the side, looking noticeably annoyed that I was on the field while she wasn't. But I couldn't help that.

As we finished up training, I walked with Erin, Sam and Millie. Their constant laughter made me bubble with happiness. They are all such positive people, smiling and cracking up, over everything. I think I've found my people. It was easier than I thought. Easier than I expected. I can now say with certainty, that this was the right decision. I made the right decision.

Note:
- hope you guys are liking the start to this story
- I'm sorry it's kinda a slow start, but it'll quicken up soon.
- let me know if there is anything specific u want to see etc

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 6.1K 41
Sometimes to feel comfortable, one must experience a little discomfort and for Eva Valtersen, that was exactly what she needed. After being recruited...
414K 6.4K 54
ON HOLD "You know, I made a promise to myself a year ago that I'd never fall in love again." Niamh spoke as Leah tilted her head to position her ear...
271K 3.7K 24
Ella bronze, yeah that's right, i'm Lucy bronze's younger sister. I'm 19 years old, i just turned 19 actually. I am a forward who plays for wsl side...
122K 2.3K 30
Aleid van Alstine has been representing the Netherlands since she was seventeen, kickstarting her career at nearby club FC Twente, before moving to G...