Second Chance (a North and So...

tini_25 tarafından

Different take on North and South. It starts when Mr. Thornton leaves Margaret after his disaster of proposal... Daha Fazla

Introduction
Chapter 1: Roses have Thorns
Chapter 2: Twisted every way
Chapter 3: Revelation
Chapter 4: Walk in the Park
Chapter 5: Going through once more
Chapter 6: First contact with the past
Chapter 8: What happened?
Chapter 9: What's her condition?
Chapter 10: Further explaination of present circumstances
Chapter 11: Men's conversations
Chapter 12: Time to blush
Chapter 13: Working out new strategies
Chapter 14: Bessy's letter
Chapter 15: Missing her slightly
Chapter 16: Chasing her
Chapter 17: Keeping her promise
Chapter 18: Cosy little coach ride
Chapter 19: Frederick Hale
Chapter 20: Flashbacks
Chapter 21: Illuminate forgotten events
Chapter 22: Comparing memories
Chapter 23: A sibling there in hard times
Chapter 24: What father never told
Chapter 25: New way of thinking
Chapter 26: gasping for forgiveness
Chapter 27: Conversations
Chapter 28: Conversations 2
Chapter 29: Secret Happiness
Chapter 30: The shadow of death
Chapter 31: Leaving the country
Chapter 32: The other man
Chapter 33: Last farewell
Chapter 34: Engagement
Chapter 35: The Confrontation
Chapter 36: Wedding bells
Chapter 37: Family tragedy
Chapter 38: Lost children
Chapter 39: One's Despair
Chapter 40: Distrust and Dismissal
Chapter 41: Lullaby
Chapter 42: Trying to mend it
Chapter 43: Dear Fred
Chapter 44: Remembering Oxford
Chapter 45: Being left alone
Chapter 46: Recollection
Chapter 47: Coming home
Chapter 48: A sorrowful message
Chapter 49: How the world collapsed
Chapter 50: Supporting columns
Chapter 51: Back to London
Chapter 52: Confession against Depression
Chapter 53: Helstone
Chapter 54: The Lennox's Philosophy of life
Chapter 55: Ungrateful business
Chapter 56: A very generous gift
Chapter 57: Looking South
Chapter 58: Coming after her
Chapter 60: Spain
Chapter 61: Complicated
Chapter 62: Sincerely, ...

Chapter 7: Hurry to post the letter

2.5K 40 6
tini_25 tarafından

Margaret

Just as I finished my letter for mary, the sun was slowly breaking through the thick blanket of clouds that hung so heavily above Milton just hours ago when we made our little walk outside in the smal park. My mind was occupied with my writing task so I was able to avoid the thought of John Thornton crossing my way today. I was very desperate for distraction when I came home than, but now I couldnt run away from the questions building up in my swirling mind again. 

He was so irretating, and confusing. He still wore that brooding facial expression, like he did most of the times we met. But something felt different now. He was more distant than usual, although I must say not in relation to me, becouse that hardly changed, our relationship was the definition of distance. Or at least so I felt, but I stil couldnt make out the meaning of the change of his attitude towards my father. It was again confusing and strange. 

He made me so agitated, no more than that when he told us about the mill. Hist words disturbed me, people died because of the unexpected prolonged duration of the strike, and there he was, thinking only about his own business disadvantage. Maybe I was a little unjust in deciding so, but I couldnt help it. My opinion of him is, as you could say, carved into stone, I am sure that a miracle must happen to change that fact.

Eventually I went outside again, this time alone to post the finished letter to Mary Higgins. I had to go alone, as my father was busy with training one of his private pupils and Dixon was already overloaded with her chores and my mothers delicate condition, although she surely would disapprove of me not letting her doing it. I agree that going out on my own wasnt the wisest of my decisions, after what happened earlier, but I was determent to post that letter today. Besides, some fresh air and a little exercion would surely do me good. And I desperately needed a change of scene.

So I went out of the house, letting the door close behind me. The street was full with trading people again, and although it was stil not as full as it was before the strike I had to get used to the turmoil again, after the long weeks of weary silence. The next post office was just some houses away, so that I was sure that I could do it. And everything went well indeed, so after finishing my posting task I went back into the direction from where I came from. A strong wind was houling, so I clasped my shawl stronger to my chest as if that would stop the cold entering me. My headache returned to me and I felt a tingling pain inside my head. Oh no, not again please!

I was relieved to see that I already reached the doorsteps, but when I tried to concer those I felt the same pang of pain as I did in the park. I felt my knees give away at once. Oh why was I so stupid to go outside alone again? Couldnt I listen just for once? I winced in pain, knowing that I would crash onto the cold and hard surface of the ground any second. 

But just in the moment when I would collide on the pavement, someone caught me with his strong arms. He linked his one hand behind my waste possesively and pushed me up at my knees in one quick sweep. He was holding me firmly in his grasps, and when I tried to look up and identify my savior, my eyelight abandoned me, leaving me with a question and the fear of being held by a stranger, without having the power to escape anything that would probably follow. I heard him call my name when finally my consciousness left me completely and everything turned black.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

145K 2.2K 91
John Thornton has an eager mind, starved for intellectual stimulation. But what John could not have foreseen was that just as his mind needs nourish...
27.8K 721 22
Elisabeth Armitage merely exists, she is an exceedingly rich heiress feeling at odds with her life. She slowly discovers a way of making peace with h...
51.9K 585 32
When a girl falls inlove with a guy who she has known for a while and later finds out he is her mate but he won't love her back and rejects her inste...
11.3K 663 24
Book is completed! ✅ * January 2, 2020: placed third in romance category for the Duck Awards! The crash that broke through the last of her desperate...