Ishq Kinara[Love Ashore] Comp...

By AimmyB

Five people. Five lives. Five tales. Each of them is struggling through life and these struggles aren't somet... More

Character Aesthetics
Prologue
1. Abay Saalo'n!
2. A bunch of idiots
3. A regular Sunday
4. Changes
5. Shift
6. Realizations
7. Conundrum
8. Friends
9. Life
10. Clear Waters
11. Not Quite A Heartbreak
12. Too Much Work
13. Heart Ties
14. November
15. Not So Normal
16. Ashore
17. Serendipity
18. Dive
19. Horizon
20. Promise
21. Epiphany
22. Crown
23. Fall
24. Aurora
25A: Someday
25B. Everyday
26. Steady
27. Ripple
28. Crashing Down
29. Decisions
30. Crevice
31. Souvenir
32. Waves
33. Echo
34. Sinking Ships
35. Losing Grip
36. Fading
37. Unsaid
38. Ships in the night
39. Far from the shore
40. Life as it comes
41. Reminiscing
42. Homecoming
43. Warm
44. The same place
45. Changes and Constants
46. Traces
47. Start Over
48. Shore to the sea
50A. Love Ashore [Last]
50B. Love Ashore[Last]
Epilogue
Thank you Note
Bonus: Still Ashore
Bonus # 2: Then and Now
Once Upon a January

49. Fall into place

3.5K 297 1K
By AimmyB

Maryam placed the piping hot cups of tea on the table and sat across Memoona. The clutter brought Memoona back from her thoughts. Her smile was brighter as compared to other days, as Maryam was used to since she had started visiting everyday after Ibsam and Shoaib had settled their feud.

"Everything's okay, Auntie?"

Maryam's question wasn't answered but the smile remained intact on Memoona's face. She took a sip of the tea and relished the taste.

"You've surely mastered the art of tea making."

Her praise hit Maryam right in the heart. It was just a meager everyday task, one which was often neglected but she had seen this in Memoona, the tendency of letting someone know how their efforts were working even though they weren't that monumental.

Maryam had always found this family fascinating even when the main purpose of hers to know about them was mainly to get Ibsam back to his roots before the guilt consumed him. But in doing so, she found herself drawn towards the wholesome bonding these people share and particularly the kind woman Memoona was.

Maryam had lived a life with a mother and her father used to rate his own children on the basis of how well they were doing for his name. He loved her but his love came with terms and conditions. It gave her the idea that maybe parental love in its crux was just like this? Dotting the fittest and ignoring those lesser than that.

But it was Memoona who changed her notion in regards to this. She loved all her kids differently, but on the basis how they deserved this love but how they should be loved. Her care for Izaan was tender and always worrying. For Ibsam she was often a strict mother yet easy to mold seeing how he was so prone to misunderstandings. And playful with Ibtihaj because he was both her easygoing son and also her best friend she used to share all her worries with.

This was life changing for Maryam, this very knowledge, so much that she found herself slowly unlearning what she had seen all her life. And slowly she started yearning to be a part of this clan.

The love and affection she felt towards them only grew when Ibsam finally mustered up the courage to do something to make amends. He was still on that path. Trying to diminish the wedge between him and his family and since now his family wasn't putting up guards, he was slowly making progress.

But not as much as Maryam. She knew love was the only way here and she tried it with her full heart. The result was as expected. She was openly welcomed in the Ansari household and as their daughter in law.

"How did Hesham's wedding go?"

Memoona's smile deepened.

"It was a beautiful event. Cozy and with just family and friends around. Hesham and Zonish make such a beautiful couple. I will ask Ibtihaj to show you the pictures."

Maryam was very much interested in seeing those. She had heard a lot about Izaan's squad from both Memoona and Abba and she couldn't wait to see it for herself.

"Maryam."

Memoona shifted on her seat and her demeanor indicated she had something amusing to tell her. Maryam looked on curiously.

"I think that it's not far when I'll see my Izzu happy as well."

Maryam was pleasantly surprised.

A sad tinge to her otherwise bright expressions was always Memoona's reaction whenever Izaan was brought up in any conversation and Maryam was no fool, she knew what it was about.

The one thing she literally cursed Ibsam for, was being a key reason for Izaan and Safwa's breakup all those years back. She had seen how much the whole family was attached to the woman and initially it had made Maryam jealous.

But not anymore. Their adoration for Safwa had her see she was actually more than what she looked. She was full of warmth for the people she loved and she loved Izaan's family dearly.

But the way Safwa and Izaan had to part ways was something all of them were still gutted about. So, seeing Memoona happy and almost contended when she was talking about Izaan made Maryam very happy and relieved.

"Why do you think so?"

"I'm a mother. I know so. I'm seeing his changed body language these days whenever Safwa is mentioned. I see him trying, something he couldn't do all these years so I can only hope and pray that whatever is it, it blooms fully and stays."

Maryam prayed that it was true. She wasn't close to Izaan, given the fact that he was almost always at the hospital and wasn't much on talking if he was around too. But she knew he was a gem and he deserved this.

Both him and Safwa.

"Ameen!"

Memoona mumbled the same. She was sure the right timing for this had come.

____

It was still too early for Zonish to get accustomed to this new place and its patterns, but what she was now used to, was the opened windows and salty fresh air. It was refreshing and she was growing too fond of it.

She also loved the small potted plants on the window sill. Their soothing fragrance in the evenings was calming to the mind after a packed day and she often found it more than relaxing to work close to the window.

And the cute couches in the living room. But the oddity of the beanbag was hilarious. It didn't fit in with the whole interior but it somehow felt important. It added to the whole variety this place was slowly making a home in her heart.

A warm mug of tea was placed in front of her.

And the tea.

Especially the tea.

She saw Hesham busy on his phone and in doing so, he conveniently pushed the plate of toast in front of her.

The one thing both of them agreed on the very next day of their wedding. They were both in favour of a light breakfast and nothing heavy was likeable. This made the morning fuss a calm affair, most of the time.

She finished her toast and saw him collecting his things from the side table. Coming close, she stood in front of him.

Hesham raised an eyebrow when Zonish made a face and started knotting his tie the right way. It was still hard to understand how he messed it up everyday.

But then a thought clicked her mind.

"You never wore a tie to the workplace before."

"Hun?"

Zonish was more sure now and it was making her want to laugh.

"It makes sense. I never saw you in one wherever we worked together."

"So, I didn't know you couldn't start wearing ties one day if you were wearing those from day one."

"Or you were trying to impress me."

Hesham looked away. Zonish got her answer.

"You so were."

"Get over yourself. I don't have to impress you."

"Bold of you to assume I'm already smitten."

"You are already the wife so we will eventually get there. It's a safe deal."

Sly.

Zonish unknotted his tie and before he could say anything, she slipped it out of his neck.

"So, why the efforts?"

She held the fabric in her hand and looked on challengingly.

"Well, they are important."

Trust him to make it charged to mush in no time.

Zonish tossed the tie on the bed and stood there looking right in his eyes.

"They are not needed."

Saying that she immediately picked up her purse and dashed out of there. Hesham glanced at the tie on the bed and at the now empty spot she had just left.

He could just smile.

___

Kumail leaned against the couch and folded his arms on his chest. His eyes had a mirth to it which Izaan didn't like at all.

"Should've ordered some sweets."

Izaan pursed his lips. He didn't have a retort to go with anyway.

"It's good the ball is in her court now, she's gonna use it well. Unlike you."

"Can you stop already?"

"Why should I? This calls for celebration!"

Kumail's enthusiasm was precious but Izaan knew they couldn't do so. Not yet. Not with Kumail's surgery scheduled for next week.

"Once you are done and Safwa doesn't finally decide to be done with me, we definitely will."

Kumail grinned but the Izaan could see he was worried. He shifted and patted his shoulder.

"You'll be okay."

"I have to be. I can't just sit back and let this anomaly of 2cm ruin my life. The life I was just beginning to live."

Izaan liked this about Kumail. In this whole ordeal, he hadn't crumbled. He was worried, yes, but he didn't let his spirits dampen. He was more of a fighter than someone who'd accept fate as it is, the fate that is very much variable.

"You did the right thing though."

Izaan looked sideways at him.

"Life's unpredictable, Izaan. We can't just leave it on our own assumptions and calculations. It has its own agenda, which it follows without making any mistakes. We are prone to those, life isn't. So, instead of just thinking things through, letting doubts pave the way forward, listen to your heart and take the plunge. At the end it's life which is going to have the last laugh but at least we won't have any regrets. We will be able to say that we tried and lived well."

His words had weight and they also had an impact. He was a person who was facing an unfortunate situation, he had a complicated surgery coming up soon and he could lose his functional abilities if not his life in the process but he was still standing strong fully aware of life and its way of surprising us. It was both heartbreaking and inspiring.

Roshna came inside the room folding her stethoscope, breaking the solemn mood.

"Kumail, did you have your lunch?"

Kumail was suddenly all smiles.

"I was waiting for you."

"I'm not going to spoon feed you."

"That's harsh."

Izaan was so used to their bickering that it felt nothing was wrong right now and things were finally in place.

They'd be. Soon. He was hopeful.

_____

The schedule at the academy was getting packed with each play Elaf was performing and was a part of. She didn't mind it though. She loved being part of this chaos. She was almost always busy with something new.

Her performances were helping her financially as well and it was better than what the desk job was paying her. Not that she had no respect for her previous field of work but she was also aware of the stark differences. There she was working hard but had almost next to no chances of going further and getting promoted in the near future. But here, those chances were plenty. In fact, she was getting prominence, the regular admirers of the art of theater were slowly getting to know her, she was rising in the scales and in circles.

It was another day of practice for their upcoming play where Elaf was playing the lead. She was working extra hard and that was the reason she left the practice room an hour later than the usual timing.

What she didn't expect was to see Deepak Bhai sitting on the stairs outside. He stood up seeing her which confirmed her suspicion that he was actually waiting for her.

"Busy day?"

He inquired and Elaf couldn't help agreeing. It was a mad hectic day.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something."

Elaf had gathered that by now but it didn't mean she was happy with the idea of the head mentor wanting to talk to her. What could it be? She hoped it wasn't something bad.

"It's not something as morbid as your face is suggesting."

Deepak Bhai picked on her unease and tried to comfort her with the fact. Elaf visibly relaxed.

Deepak Bhai was now walking towards the double doors of the main performance auditorium and Elaf followed her.

"You are proving your expertise pretty well and I really appreciate it."

"Thank you."

Elaf didn't know what else to reply.

"You previously worked with Faryal too if I'm not wrong."

Yeah and Faryal's carelessness turned her whole life upside down. Elaf didn't say it to him. She didn't want to appear whiny in this professional talk.

"I saw that play you were in. Faryal had specifically told me about you."

"She told me about you too."

Deepak Bhai nodded, standing right in front of the stage with his eyes focused ahead.

"She also mentioned your prowess on playwriting along with acting."

That was news to Elaf.

"Have you given it a thought?"

"To what exactly?"

"To playwriting?"

Elaf shook her head. No matter she was back to her field but she hadn't yet ventured into this particular thing she was a master of in the past. There was just something holding her back. Lack of motivation. Or her inner reluctance. She couldn't pinpoint it.

"See, Elaf. This academy has expectations out of the people we promote. We know your excellent points and we also know what you lack. You are not lacking anything right now but if there is something which can make you shine even brighter, then as your mentor it is my responsibility to push you to use it. I'm saying I need the script by tomorrow. I'm just asking you to give it a chance and write something we all can show the world. You can do it."

He finished and giving her a meaningful look, he walked past her towards the door.

Elaf stood there staring at the bright stage without any props. A clear playing field.

Should she?

A smile reached her lips.

She definitely should. At this point nothing should scare her.

She never backed down from any challenge before so why should she now?

Her steps going out of there were brisk. She had to get home quickly and open that battered journal of her dreams.

Many of which were coming true.

_____

Zonish had never given much thought to the possibility that how would Alvi House look to her when she'd settle down somewhere else with her life partner.

This never occurred to her in the days leading to her and Hesham's wedding. She had many other things to worry about but now, days after that life changing happening, sitting in the lounge with her family and her husband, Zonish realized the definition of home hadn't changed much, but it had broadened.

Alvi House had welcomed her with the same sense of comfort she always found here but with that, there was another feeling raising its head in her heart.

That there was another home too which she had just left for a while to meet her family. Where she had plants on the windowsill and an out of place bean bag, where the ringing of the doorbell was shrill and she was thinking of getting it replaced. Where she had cooked just once in the kitchen and she realized the spices and sugar containers had no definite order and she spent an hour giving them that.

And most importantly, she had someone there who was slowly making a place in her heart which was handmade just for him. Or maybe he already had it but she was realizing just now. She was realizing it for a while now.

Hesham was currently busy in a very intelligent debate with Ibrahim and Anas and the way both of them were looking at him, Zonish could say his expertise in shit talking was coming in handy.

Samia and Tabrez were also around and they couldn't stop being comforted with the fact that how easily Hesham had gotten along with the family, so much that no one could say that he was a new addition.

Taimoor and Hejab were more focused on her though, or her lack of focus. She had found them wiggling their eyebrows in her way on seeing her lost and Zonish Alvi, for the first time wasn't showing them her claws, instead she just ignored their teasing altogether.

But what she couldn't ignore was a very fine and very stupid specimen which was her husband.

The dinner was spent in the same manner. And the talks afterwards over Chai as well. Hesham had noticed how lost Zonish was but didn't comment on it. Maybe she was really missing her family but if that was the case, now would be a good time to sit down with them and talk, not look into space and at him. It didn't make much sense but Hesham brushed it off. It was Zonish after all.

The ride back home was silent and only when Hesham was parking the car in his designated spot, Zonish broke the silence.

"I want a baby."

Hesham was just going into the empty slot and had to swivel the steering to avoid any collision.

He turned his head towards Zonish who was eyeing him with a scowl on her face.

"Are you trying to kill both of us?"

"You're the one behind the wheel."

The car was finally parked. Hesham didn't kill the engine and fully shifted to look at her.

"What's the matter with you?"

"I just told you."

"That you want a...a BABY?"

She nodded and then proceeded to fold her hands on her front in a perfect stubborn manner. Hesham placed the back of his fingers on her forehead.

"No. No fever. Then why are you talking like you are under some effect?"

"What? Making a baby with me is that much of an impossibility for you?"

Her biting remark should've made him even confused but it seemed like Hesham's mind had just started working. The creases on his forehead due to confusion eased. He looked around at the empty parking lot and the next moment, Zonish knew she was right in his lap.

"What the hell!"

She exclaimed steadying herself which was holding him from his shoulders.

"That's what I wanna yell too! What the hell, Zoni."

His smirk was so damn infuriating she wanted to wipe it off. With her lips of course.

"What do you mean?"

"You can straight up tell me you want to get down and dirty with me. What's with this 'I want a baby' business? I for a fact know you can't even handle babies."

"I can't even handle you! You ass, stop doing this!"

She was pointing towards his smirk.

"This flexing smile! I'm not dying to get down and dirty with you! Oh God you even make it sound so crude."

"What should I call it then? Rumple the sheets?"

"Baig!"

"Make love is more poetic and clean I think."

"You're incorrigible! I can't believe you! This is just so bizarre! I hate myself. I set myself up for this."

She was grumbling and Hesham had had enough of it. He pulled her down so that their noses were touching.

"But it's true, Zoni. I want to go down and dirty with you too."

This was so comical yet it was taking Zonish's breath away.

"Besides, You are yourself a Baby."

"Don't call me Baby. I'm fine with Zoni."

"Okay, Baby."

"Baig!"

"Then don't call me Baig too!"

Zonish narrowed her eyes. Hesham looked on unabashed.

"Okay, I think we can work on this. I can try."

"I have a beautiful name. It's not that hard."

"You are just a narcissist. That's what you're, Hesham."

Hesham froze. Zonish did too.

And the next thing she knew they were kissing.

In an empty parking lot. In their car. With her on his lap.

Talk about a first.

"Wait up!"

Zonish ensured some distance between them, earning a scowl from Hesham.

"Don't pretend that you already didn't have the hots for me."

"Excuse me?"

Zonish fused their lips again.

"What was that, no grand notion of love. No one in mind. You freaking had me in mind didn't you!"

"So, did you!"

Zonish stopped and then she was laughing. Hesham joined in too.

"Yes, I did."

She whispered when she got over the hilarity of all this.

"You already know I did too."

Both of them were silent. For a long time. Just being there. Close. Breathing in the proximity and letting the words make their impact.

"Your glasses really are a nuisance. I will keep this in mind for the future."

Zonish looked around smiling but proceeded to push her glasses some more on her nose.

"And we should get out of here before someone reports us for public indecency."

"We can always prove them wrong. I'm a fearless lawyer. You're a pain in the ass journalist. Partners in crime for life you see."

Zonish could agree with that.

"I like the sound of it. Yes."

And that's what they were. Hesham and Zonish.

Partners in crime.

For life.

_____

Running a cursory glance over the working of the coffee house, Safwa started walking around the perimeter. The road by the side was running. The wind was messing her hair but she cared less. Standing close to the entrance, she leaned into the stone wall and looked ahead at nothing in particular.

She closed her eyes and let the air touch her face. Slowly a smile reached her lips.

The late February winds were whispering of the coming spring. She could feel it in her bones too. The promise of something finally getting into its rightful place. Something coming back home.

Something which was snatched from her but now was all hers to lead it back to its safe cocoon.

Spring time was on her. It was on all of them.

She took out her phone and dialed the number. Yes, she loved the idea of spring.

Izaan was in the middle of his ward visit when his phone rang in the pocket of his coat. He took it out.

That's when he also knew something was going to bloom.

Because with Safwa he could always rely on good things happening.

"Hey."

Safwa smiled.

"Hi."

Another Hi and Hey. But this time both could tell the unsaid between the two wasn't going to stay for long.

"Can we meet?"

There was a pause. It was also an opening. She was giving him this chance to change his mind.

But he wasn't going to. Not this time around.

"The coffee house?"

Safwa closed her eyes in relief. She felt a tear getting stuck there. She'd wipe it afterwards.

"The coffee house and don't make me wait."

Izaan didn't know his voice would get stuck in his throat.

"I won't. I promise."

The call ended on that note. A promise of seeing each other soon. None of them voiced it out but both of them said it in their hearts.

Safwa turned the corner. She didn't want to go inside yet.

But life is unpredictable.

She didn't realize her one innocent delay would end up like this.

A car with a mind of its own rammed into the sidewalk. It didn't come in direct contact with her but it resulted in her colliding into the wall.

A sharp pain shot through her head and needles pricked her skull.

She only heard voices of people. None of those were familiar. Before everything went dark.

_____

The consciousness came slowly to her. But as soon as it did, she felt a stinging pain in the side of her head. She held it when the all too familiar motherly touch soothed her. She slowly opened her eyes and found Nusrat Aapa hovering over her.

"Aapa."

Her groggy voice broke the dreadful silence and she saw through her hazy state that Nusrat Aapa sighed in relief.

"Alhumdullilah. You're fine."

Nusrat Aapa frantically walked out of there and soon a doctor came inside. She was checked for any other possible signs of an injury. He asked her questions and she answered those. The pressure on her head was throbbing in pain now but it wasn't so bad.

"It was a concussion due to the impact with the wall. It also made you bleed from the forehead. Your palms were stretched on the gravel. You were out for almost two hours. But it's good to see it wasn't anything critically serious. But since it was a head injury, we will keep you under observation for a few hours and then you will be free to go."

The doctor's kind tone really made it look like a mild happening. The images were coming to her now and she could say it was a situation she wasn't prepared for at all.

Unpredictability of life.

Bisma, who was out there talking to the doctor when she woke up, was now by her side and Safwa had to assure her again and again that nothing serious had happened. Atif Uncle called her as he was busy in the hearing of an important case. Safwa narrowed her eyes at Bisma. What was the need to make him worry by telling him this?

Elaf came rushing from the academy and Hesham and Zonish soon joined too. Sarim was there a few minutes after them.

"Guys, seriously. It was nothing!"

She was trying her best to assure them and it seemed like it worked. Soon, the serious atmosphere has changed into one filled with jokes and teasing.

Safwa's eyes kept on darting around. Her friends sensed her unease and she could swear she saw them all exchanging looks. Next thing she knew they all left her room with a different range of excuses.

Safwa huffed. Her head was now feeling a lot better and she was sure in an hour or two she would be allowed to go back home. She solemnly leaned into the bed. This was such a weird day. From imagining something happening at long last to landing in a private room in the JPMC. Talk about luck.

She was lost in her musing when she felt it. Someone had entered her room. She immediately turned around and to her relief and also anger, Izaan Shoaib was by her bed site, effortlessly checking her file with great concentration.

"A doctor just did the honours."

She grumbled but he didn't look up. Safwa scowled. He wasn't even facing her. Wasn't looking her in the eye.

Safwa's heart lurched.

"Izaan..."

He closed the file.

"Look at me."

And he did.

With bloodshed eyes that were telling of how hard it must be for him to not break down right there.

"No.."

She immediately raised her torso and hugged him. His arms came around her and Safwal felt dampness on her shoulder. This was not right. This was oh so not right.

"I'm okay. It's okay. We're okay."

She broke the hug and cupped his face. Izaan's eyes were now having their fill of her face.

"I was ..there when they got you here."

Safwa shook her head. Their current position was making it hard for her to even console him so she made him sit on the stool beside her bed.

"Nabeel called me. I was the first one to know."

He again wasn't looking at her. Safwa wanted to tell him to stop but seeing his face she couldn't do so.

"You were lying there on the stretcher when they got you inside and even though you looked okay without any visible signs of an injury, it wasn't okay. You weren't smiling. You weren't even looking at me or anyone. You were silent and that....it scared the shit out of me. So much that I was so close to losing it."

He didn't have to tell her that. Safwa had seen him when he was at work. Calm, composed and in control. None of which he was right now.

"Izaan, it was nothing. Just a stupid person who didn't know how to drive. Please, don't let it affect you like this."

"But it was you, Safwa. I could've lost you. Before even getting you back."

"You always had me."

He shook his head. He rested his hands on the back of his head, almost bunching the hair there. He was breaking down and Safwa didn't know how to stop it.

"I lost you. I let my insecurities take over. I let everything cloud my mind enough to just not do anything about what we had."

He held her hand.

"It wasn't easy for me as well, you know. I was as into it as you were. It meant the same to me as it did to you. Yeah, I wasn't good at expressing it but I loved you with what I had in me, Safwa. I still do."

Safwa's fingers were encased in his palm, making soothing circles on his hand.

"But the problems weren't easy to tackle either. That time they surely weren't. I was lacking so much as it is."

"You weren't!"

"We were just kids. That too madly in love. We didn't look at the downside. But that could work. We had that in us to make it work."

"Then why didn't we?"

Izaan bent his head.

"Because I was a coward. I was afraid of pulling you into something that you weren't used to. I was afraid that in the end it wouldn't work out. That you will see how much of a mismatch we both are. And then you will drag along. You won't leave. You won't say anything but it will kill your happiness and I will be the one responsible for that."

Safwa had always admired how deep this guy was. But right now she was cursing it. Why did he have to think about everything with all possibilities in mind? Why couldn't he just be like everyone and see what was on the surface and go for it?

"That's all assumptions."

Izaan didn't deny it. He wasn't defensive. Just letting it out of his system whatever he rightfully or wrongly did and assumed.

"Then the whole Ibsam fiasco."

Safwa opened her mouth to say something but Izaan had leaned down and how his head was right in her lap. Her heart broke seeing how he was so vulnerable right now. He didn't deserve this. Both of them deserved better.

"I know both of us worked through that and now my family is whole again but it took 6 years to reach here, Safwa. It took six years for Ibsam to repent what he did. That time it would've been next to impossible if we both tried it because he was unyielding and my Baba was so hurt. Our family was falling apart and then it did."

She ran her fingers through his hair without saying anything. She wanted him to talk. To just tell her everything which he didn't back then. Every dark thought of his. Every messed up reality and every fear.

"It's not easy being a witness to it. Seeing one of your own getting away because he didn't want to suffer anymore. Even thinking that he was suffering is something that broke us all. Especially Baba. Your own kid telling you how he's ashamed of where he comes from. That shit isn't easy, Safwa. My family was going through hell that time and I couldn't drag you along. It wasn't always your responsibility to sort things for me and my clan. You didn't sign up for this. You were always looking for love, sharing love and that time my family couldn't give you that. All we had were problems, torn relationships and a truck load of mess we needed to sort through. My parents were constantly questioning their own upbringing. Where did they go wrong? How did Ibsam grow so tired of it all? Abba was silent. Angrily though. Because he couldn't stop anything from happening and Ibtihaj had lost a part of himself. We weren't right for you then."

Safwa's hand stopped and that's when Izaan looked up.

"But that's where I was wrong. You were a part of the family, not an outsider. I pushed you away thinking it was the right thing while you were the one who finally made the family complete again but talking to Ibsam. Irony. Izaan Shaoib again reading the signs wrong and rolling with his insecurities and assumptions."

"That's the man I love you're bitching about."

He chuckled and then straightened up.

"I'm not proud of how I handled things, Safwa. I snatched the right of making a choice from you. Some things couldn't be resolved while some could be. I made mistakes, read the signs wrong but I never wanted to hurt you. I just wanted to protect everyone around me in whatever capacity I could but in doing so, I couldn't protect us. Our love. All these years I kept on longing for you but had no guts to come and tell you that it was still you. It will always be you. Because somewhere I knew you deserved better than this messed up guy you gave your heart to."

Safwa gave him a warning look.

"Yeah, I know. So, here this guy is. Work in progress. Striving to be better at this whole thing than he was back then. But it's only up to you. I'm here. I will always be here. I will make mistakes too no matter how much I try not to. But this time, I won't ever push you into anything. If something happens, we face it together. We guide each other and we make it work. I promise you this. I will not be the same twenty two years old Izaan who was second guessing everything. I will be better. For you and for us."

Safwa had already made her mind, before the accident, leaning on that wall. This is why she had called him.

So what was the point of delaying anyway?

She wound her arms around his neck and kissed the corner of his mouth the same way he had done in the conference hall all those years back.

"Let's start over. As new people with the same love but promise me you won't keep me waiting ever again. I hate that. I will kill you if you do so."

Izaan rested his forehead with hers. It was always just so easy with her. He was a fool to make it complicated. 

"I promise. No more waiting."

It was a new beginning. They were just right there. Just ashore.

____

She had to get her dressing done before leaving. Izaan had duty going on and he was right now busy there. Safwa was bummed about it and she let it show on the same junior doctors of his who had come to her room. Needless to say they soon left seeing her mood.

Nusrat Aapa was scolding her and Bisma was smiling when Izaan entered the room.

Safwa felt the tension filling the air but then it vanished. Bisma gave Izaan a smile and both Nusrat Aapa and her left the room.

"So, this is how it's going to go?"

Izaan asked. He wasn't looking at her. His whole focus was on changing the bandage on her forehead.

Safwa was offended.

"Don't be deluded that in this city you are the only doctor."

"I'm actually the only doctor who can handle you."

"Get over yourself."

"You scared the junior doctor off with your glare. And then I had to come and patch you up. It's self explanatory, Safwa."

Safwa wasn't seeing him in his professional way for the first time and one thing she loved to hate in Dr. Izaan was how confident he was. Dealing with people from every walk of life had honed his social skills. This would also explain the junior doctors flocking around him. Safwa's eyes hardened and Izaan's smile vanished. He straightened his posture and somewhat he was the same medical student Izaan from six years back. Safwa smirked. Good.

It was Izaan's turn to be offended.

She came out of the room with him.

"Are you done?"

Izaan shook his head.

"Not really. My duty hours are over but I was heading to meet Kumail before leaving."

Safwa knew about Kumail's condition. When they were talking a while back Izaan had mentioned that.

"I'll come with you."

She started walking with him. Their retreating backs were in direct focus of Bisma who was smiling through her tears.

____

Sarim was told that he would find Elaf in the main auditorium and that's where he did find her. Bending over her journal while her legs were hanging down. Sarim smiled and took steady steps towards her even though he was feeling anything but steady today. The pocket of his blazer was heavier than ever. And so were his steps.

He narrowly avoided tripping over a raised step and that's when Elaf saw him.

"Sarim!"

She called him excitedly and stood up on the stage. He reached there using the side stairs.

"You are exactly on time. I was just winding everything up."

Sarim helped her collect her things when she gave him a confused look.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine. What were you doing?"

He pointed towards the pile of discarded paper she was now pushing picking to drop in a trashcan.

"Oh, this. I'm trying to get back to playwriting and to be honest it's not easy. I'm so out of ideas so I'm trying my best to get motivation from somewhere."

She was talking animatedly and Sarim loved that. She used to get like this whenever the subject topic was her theater chronicles.

"And I have a play coming too. It's a lead role and that is also adding to my ongoing worries. I know I will do fine but still it's been so long I was at the center of a play so I'm literally scared."

"You don't have to be. You're something else when you get up there."

He pointed towards the central stage and Elaf smiled. She almost twirled towards it.

"That's true. The role is just so fascinating and has so much scope for me to improvise which I will. When I know it can make the performance better then why I wouldn't. But I won't tell Deepak Bhai though."

During her ramblings, Sarim's hand did go to his pocket but then he heard her going on and on about her passion and his hand stopped there.

The dilemma of right timing again struck him hard.

"What do you think? Should I take him into confidence beforehand or do it afterwards like the last time? I'm leaning towards the former. Yeah, I will talk to him tomorrow."

And just like that his hand stayed put and he didn't do what he was intending to do.

Not when she was so much immersed in something she loved so dearly.

Elaf's face was unreadable as she stopped talking and reached his side. They were now standing at the side of the stage.

She stopped in front of him and looked...angry.

"You again chickened out didn't you? And I was freaking out over nothing rambling there like a woman possessed!"

Sarim was taken aback.

"What?"

She straight went for the pocket and took out the box. It was right on her palm.

"This. I was waiting for you to actually go on with this!"

"You...know?"

Elaf smacked him in the shoulder and huffed.

"I practically visit your place twice a week. Zimal is very resourceful and so is her mother. I've been waiting for you to do the deed for a week now. Every time you get cold feet, I want to smack something on your head so bad!"

Sarim sighed heavily. Of course.

"Do you even get the cold feet or you just don't wanna propose to me?"

"Yeah, I don't want to, that's why I keep on moving with this freaking box always in my pocket."

"Don't be sassy with me! Now you will do the remaining honours or should I put it on myself as well?"

Sarim laughed at her urgency and that made Elaf laugh as well. She came closer. They were away from the lights so in the darkness, the form of his was alluring and soothing both.

The stage was away. That bright arena of hers. And she was standing there. Away from it with this man.

One world of hers there and one here.

It was all fitting.

"You really do want to marry me?"

"Of course, I do. There's so much in the package. You have a hefty pay cheque. You are good looking. Your family is nice with a nice sleepy dog. You have your own place and you happen to love me as well. What's there not to like?"

"Hmm. By this logic I like the package too. You are cute, you are talented and in near future you are going to be famous as well. Your parents adore me and you also love me. So, it's all very tempting."

"Then seal the deal."

She extended the box towards him and then her hand as well.

In just a few seconds after that the ring was shining on her finger.

It was a perfect fit.

Like both of them were in each other's life.

"I'm going to cry."

Sarim sighed and welcomed her weight as she almost jumped into his arms. His face was smiling and eyes were shining, brighter than the lights on the stage.

____

Safwa and Yusra were listening to Elaf gushing about how Sarim finally got the courage to go on with what he had planned. Sarim rolled his eyes at her exaggeration but his face was still smiling. He glanced at Daud sitting next to him and saw his features totally into an expression of love and adoration for his daughter.

"She's going to be so happy with you. I can already see that."

Daud whispered. Sarim felt the hint of pain in his voice.

"She feels it, uncle. That you are silently letting the regret consumme you. She's not happy about it."

"I know. She told me countless times but I can't help it. I was denying my daughter this all her life without even knowing. The happiness on her face makes me want to go back in time and change everything. She should've gotten all this way back but because of me she couldn't."

"Timing is a fickle thing, Uncle. We can't mess with it. You realized it now and that's more than enough. You are at least now a part of every achievement of hers. This has to mean something for you because it means the world to her."

"I wish I wasn't too blinded by what I had always believed in my life. What I adopted from society about the grand notions of career lines. And I wish I could see my family for the people they were."

Sarim looked at Elaf's beaming face and then at Daud.

"Talent in its every form is precious. When the kids don't get to bloom with it, they start wilting. They become a shell of who they actually are. It's so cruel of society to deny someone to be who they are. To embrace what they are good at. Think about it, uncle. If we let every kid pursue what they are good at, how bright and full of countless talents this world will be? Surely a more vibrant world to live in. "

Daud could say it would be beautiful. If Elaf's smile was an indication.

"Bygones are bygones. Let's just forget it. It's more than enough that now you're present in Elaf's life this way. You should chin up for just that, Uncle, because there are parents out there who don't give their kid anything. Which shouldn't be even happening but alas."

His words were encouraging. Daud was really letting himself roll in self pity when he actually was doing everything in his power to support his daughter.

Elaf glanced in his way. She smiled and he reciprocated it.

Everything finally fell into place.

____

Author's Note 

Just one more chapter to go along with an epilogue. I might post both together. :')

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

961 29 12
A story of friendship, love, heart-breaks, twists in lives. A spoonful of suspense can be found here and there.
16.6K 1.5K 70
FIVE dfferent love stories, consisting love triangles, heartbreaks and betrayal, fading friendships and relationships. There exist plenty of ways to...
15.8K 857 33
A tale of love where a girl who knew nothing about love learnt it from the very person who she fell in love with but later, fate decides to put more...
2.8K 517 12
In this story when one friend loses all hope in her life, the other one shows the path to move on and also encourages you to follow up the passion...