ADORE ↠ b. barnes [III]

By evanescence2016

❝ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ sʜᴇᴅ ᴀ ᴛʜᴏᴜsᴀɴᴅ sᴋɪɴs ᴛᴏ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ. ᴀɴᴅ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ғᴇᴇʟ ᴏᴠᴇʀᴡʜᴇʟᴍᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴛʜ... More

A/N & copyright
𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓇𝑒
cast iii
PROLOGUE
« PART ONE »
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
« PART TWO »
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
EPILOGUE
~ B O N U S ~

thirty

303 13 1
By evanescence2016

      THE GAUNTLET WAS READY.

THE SIX INFINITY stones fit perfectly— like a puzzle made precisely for their purpose, and an ultimate weapon in their seemingly endless mission. The nanotechnology was strong enough to contain it, and it had taken them the entire night to make it.

But now, the team surrounded it, eyes wide and hands slightly shaking as they stared at what would define their fate; what would bring them their life back, or shatter their hope completely.

"Alright, the glove's ready." Rocket spoke. "Question is: who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Everyone looked at one another, and they all wanted to will themselves to speak before Thor beat them to it.

"I'll do it." Allura looked at him and tilted her head, accidentally hesitating as she wondered if he was in the right state of mind to do it.

Now, don't get her wrong. She trusted that he was powerful enough to do it. But his state between sober and drunk was making her anxious as she overthought everything that could go wrong, and her senses sharpened to protect the glove from everyone and anyone who wanted to go near it.

"Excuse me?" Tony asked, raising an eyebrow and standing up straight.

"It's okay." Thor said, nonchalantly. Everyone got in the way and pushed him back, Nadenka and Bruce looking at each other as they stared at the scene from a bit afar.

       They were both wondering if they were right for it. Nadenka, with her unbelievable amount of power, and Banner with the large amount of radiation running through his body.

       "Just, wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on." Steve spoke calmly, making Thor halt, unamused.

       "I'm sorry. What? We're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" He asked them, Scott shrugging.

       "We should at least discuss it."

       "Look, sitting here staring is not gonna bring everybody back." He took a deep breath. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me." He rambled. Tony nodded.

       "Normally, you're right.-" He spoke, only to be interrupted.

       "It's not about that-"

       "It's not about that-" Thor then tried to shush Tony, making Allura chuckle at their behavior and lock eyes with Nadenka, who was already looking at her with a knowing look in her eyes.

       This was going nowhere.

       "Stop it! Just let me-" Thor spoke, going quiet for a second as his eyes watered slightly, his will to help being crumbled by the actual situation. "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

       Allura glanced at Thor sadly, her shoulders falling for a second as she understood his situation. He wanted to make up for his past behavior, for the uselessness he felt as his emotions clouded his judgement.

       She empathized with him. But at the same time she knew Tony was right. He was powerful as heck but this was something they needed to be meticulous with; something they couldn't risk getting wrong.

       "Look, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You're in no condition." Tony spoke softly. Nadenka's eyes softened at his calmness.

       She wasn't gonna lie. She had grown a soft spot for the man ever since he calmed her down just a few hours ago when her love died.

       He had talked to her for an hour after that, and even though she still felt like she wasn't breathing enough oxygen, and her heart was as tight as a knot, she had to prove to her family and to herself that she could be strong; that she had to be strong, and that she was going to be strong.

       She had gained a powerful ally in Tony Stark. They had gained a friend, that even if Tony wouldn't say it out loud, he was proud of.

       After all, he did tell her some wise words: "sometimes, it's he children who make up for the parents' mistakes".

       And it was certainly, and completely true. It was a grudge that no matter how much they wanted to solve, didn't involve them— and it was better to be a team, rather than yet another enemy.

       "What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked, his gaze fierce.

       "Cheez Whiz?" "Rum?" Rhodey and Nadenka asked at the same time, both their arms crossed as they heard with annoyed expressions. Allura rolled her eyes at the two, looking down at her arms and admiring the glowing Greek designs that seemed to paint it once more.

       Thor pointed at them, motioning them stop bothering him as he then turned back to Tony.

       "Lightning."

       "Yeah. Lightning won't help you, pal." Bruce said. "It's gotta be me."

        Natasha's eyes widened as he spoke, her blue eyes darting between him and the other Avengers as he said this.

       She was terrified that something happened to him. The first Avenger she recruited, one of her closest friends... her family. She had already failed at protecting Pietro, a young man who gave up his life for them. She couldn't bare losing anyone else.

       And Allura saw this. And she wondered once more, if the loss, the grief and the pain would be worth it in the end.

        She wondered: was death the price for the unreachable stones? Was death the price to win the second war this time? Was death the ultimate destiny, and final conclusion that they'd have to face so that people could get their loved ones back, and the world somewhat restored?

       Would death be a sacrifice or an obligation?

       She looked at the team, the people she had grown to call her family, and she couldn't help but feel her heart clench. Like Natasha, both women who had lost far too much. She would be wrecked if she lost anything more.

       "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. They almost killed him." Bruce paced, stating his point. "None of you could survive." Nadenka nodded in agreement.

       "How do we know you will?" Steve asked.

       "We don't." Smart Hulk answered simply. "But the radiation is mostly gamma. It's like I was made for this." Nadenka rolled her eyes, placing her hand on her face as she sighed once more.

       She was loving the attitude and the force of will, but she was getting rather impatient, and just wanted everything to be over with. Even if it meant she had to snap her damn fingers herself.

       "Alright then." Allura spoke quietly, nodding her head at Hulk. "As you wish." She sent him a reassuring nod, which made him shiver slightly as he remembered Ezekyel, who always seemed to encourage him when he turned "nerd" or "geek", as he'd say.

       It only made him more eager to get everyone back.

       Everyone went to suit up, Allura wearing the suit Shuri had made for her. But Tony had made a few changes: since she now had her own glowing skin, the fabric-made effects had been removed and replaced with a resistant transparent material; so that the Greek designs were now her own, but the rest of her skin was still protected.

       She put her hair in a ponytail, not letting anything loose as she felt goosebumps cover her skin; she hadn't really wore it like that ever since she broke free from HYDRA. But she knew it would be an obstacle if she let it loose.

       Nadenka was wearing a black suit, with a thick material on the bottom and a long sleeved cat suit on top, with sapphire patterns covering it. Her ankle boots were black, and had little to no high heel. She always did value style when she fought.

       Her red hair was picked up on a braided bun, and she was wearing a mask that covered her eyes and enhanced the shape of her nose.

       It looked a bit like her old suit, with some changes, but she still loved it and felt safe with it on.

       When they returned, Bruce held the glove carefully, placing it between his hands delicately and staring at it in awe. It looked so innocent, so beautiful even with its different colored lights... But they all knew just how dangerous it was.

       "You good?" Tony asked him, his "science bro", his teammate.

       "Let's do it."

       "Okay, remember. Everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago, you're just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years." Tony instructed.

       "Got it."

       Tony activated his suit and created a shield, just in case the impact was too strong.

       "Friday, do me a favor and activate Barn Door Protocol, will ya?" When Nadenka heard him say that, she shook her head.

       "Give me a sec. I think I'll go get Carol, I'm sure she's gonna wanna be here when everyone gets back." Allura's green eyes snapped to her daughter, Nadenka meeting them fiercely as she nodded. "It won't take long, mamma."

       Allura sighed but nodded, fear taking over her body as she knew that she wouldn't be next to her little girl if anything went wrong, or it all went right.

       Nadenka's body was engulfed in sapphire, as she bent her knees slightly for impulse and then jumped, flying up and getting lost in the sky.

       Then, the compound became dark, and all of the windows and possible entrances or exits were closed and they were left with only their hope and belief.

       "Allt... I beg you. Take care of my daughter." She prayed silently, her voice barely heard as she observed. Natasha looked at Allura and walked closer to her, holding her hand in support as they waited.

        "It's gonna work." She whispered, the former jupiterian nodding.

       "I really hope it does."

       "Everybody comes home." Bruce placed his hand in the gauntlet, the machine adapting to the size of his hand. It was calm.

       Until it glowed, and radiation engulfed his arm painfully and scarred him. But the damage was minimum; compared to Thanos', at least.

       Bruce groaned, crouching as the energy took over his body and marked every cell and nerve on his body.

       "TAKE IT OFF, TAKE IT OFF!" Thor yelled in worry for his friend, Steve shaking his head and stretching hand to stop him.

       "No! Wait! Bruce, are you okay?"

       "Talk to me, Banner." Tony spoke.

       "I'm okay!"

       "Bruce." Natasha's grip on Allura's hand tightened; the woman would've complained, if she wasn't gripping it just as much.

       And after a minute, with all of his might... Bruce snapped his fingers.

       He fell to the floor, everyone running to him as Tony placed ice on his arm with his suit.

       "Did it work?" Bruce panted, Thor calming him down.

       "We're not sure. We're not sure. It's okay!"

       The doors began opening, and Allura grimaced.

       Why in the world were the doors opening?

       Allura looked around, locking eyes with Clint who was answering his phone.

       "Guys. I think it worked." They heard Scott whisper.

       Allura's eyes watered, her chest trembling slightly as she smiled softly, her body filling with adrenaline.

       It worked.

       She and Natasha locked eyes and smiled, going over to hug each other in excitement and relief.

        But right as their arms were about to lock around the other, and their words of encouragement began echoing in the room...

       The room blew up.

       And Allura knew...

       ... something had gone terribly wrong.

They did itttt! This scene was stressing for me because I just wanted them to snap and see what happened. So, I kinda lived through Nadenka's emotions!!

The final moment is coming and I am sooooo excited! I can't believe it!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Stay safe!

- evanescence2016

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 7.7K 85
❝Whatever happens, just know that I never stopped trying.❞ . . .in which she must do whatever she can to protect the world and what's left of the one...
11K 267 23
Not updated often, just for when stuff comes to mind; such as, imagines preferences and one shots. In the future I may post more explicit and mature...
4.5K 131 11
Marvel X Reader Mainly for female reader but can write for other genders :) I do take requests, and this is for all marvel universes I don't own any...
48.5K 1.3K 16
how is it, he wondered, that such a feral beast could live underneath her skin; ...