Ishq Kinara[Love Ashore] Comp...

By AimmyB

Five people. Five lives. Five tales. Each of them is struggling through life and these struggles aren't somet... More

Character Aesthetics
Prologue
1. Abay Saalo'n!
2. A bunch of idiots
3. A regular Sunday
4. Changes
5. Shift
6. Realizations
7. Conundrum
8. Friends
9. Life
10. Clear Waters
11. Not Quite A Heartbreak
12. Too Much Work
13. Heart Ties
14. November
15. Not So Normal
16. Ashore
17. Serendipity
18. Dive
19. Horizon
20. Promise
21. Epiphany
22. Crown
23. Fall
24. Aurora
25A: Someday
25B. Everyday
26. Steady
27. Ripple
28. Crashing Down
29. Decisions
30. Crevice
31. Souvenir
32. Waves
33. Echo
34. Sinking Ships
35. Losing Grip
36. Fading
37. Unsaid
38. Ships in the night
39. Far from the shore
40. Life as it comes
41. Reminiscing
42. Homecoming
43. Warm
45. Changes and Constants
46. Traces
47. Start Over
48. Shore to the sea
49. Fall into place
50A. Love Ashore [Last]
50B. Love Ashore[Last]
Epilogue
Thank you Note
Bonus: Still Ashore
Bonus # 2: Then and Now
Once Upon a January

44. The same place

2.9K 291 1K
By AimmyB

When she moved into this neighborhood some six months back, Elaf had just given it a fleeting look. They needed a cheap place and this area provided them with that. Anything else was workable. They settled down and Elaf got busy with her new job. She never tried to explore around and she didn't even have time for it as well. Bus rides weren't as aesthetic as they'd show in the movies. The smoke and the packed inside wouldn't let your imagination run as you looked through the window at the scenic plains, colonies and just commercial areas. They would appear bleak.

But some people had the art of finding beauty in this murky overlay as well.

Elaf was once one of those people.

She wasn't sure if she still was.

She looked out of the window. This was the first time she was actually slowing down and letting her mind relish the serenity around. It was battered but it still has a beauty to it.

It could also be because of the company she had. Elaf glanced at him through the periphery. His eyes were focused ahead. Navigating his way through the unkempt road as he wasn't as familiar with this side of the city he had been brought up in.

There was silence inside the car. None of them spoke much after he opened the door for Elaf to get inside and then drove away. She tried refusing but his one stern look had her resigning. She was sure Areej had left already so, this was the only way she was getting home tonight that too safe and sound. She hadn't forgotten how many times Yusra had asked her to never stay outside after eight because of the notorious nature of this area.

She mumbled her location when he asked and for a small moment, she almost missed his old beat down car. The one which he had gotten from his Nana and revamped to the best of his ability. That car was, mostly, just a piece of junk but Elaf always loved it. Mainly for its history. It was a vintage piece.

But that was one telling sign among many that how much life had changed for the both of them. Sarim wasn't the same struggling engineering student he was six years back and Elaf wasn't a thriving dreamer who loved her journal and her life.

Both had gone through massive changes but the implications were different for both of them. He was still in his element, even though his life had taken one eighty. She had lost that element too and her life also took the same turn, but in the negative direction, a negative one eighty.

The stark difference between how they had become who they were now hit Elaf right there and she looked away. She wasn't bitter about it. It was Sarim in question. She was as proud of him as she was back then for every small achievement of his. She just didn't want him to spend his time making right the wrongs in her life. That wasn't his business to take care of.

But even when she refrained from turning towards him. Just looking from the sidelines, she couldn't help wondering what it would feel like to have this man that he had become a constant in her life. He had always been one but to have him there close and not as someone residing just in her consciousness and memories.

It would be beautiful.

But life had long stopped treating her with its beauty. For the past six years she had been left with just the marred pieces, trying to make sense of them and often reading everything wrong.

She shook her head, earning a look from him. Her focus had gone back to their surroundings. They were almost there. Her street had started and Sarim sighed with relief seeing that it wasn't a silent eerie location. The shops were open and in full bustle.

Stopping the car, Sarim got out of it. Elaf followed suit, not giving him a chance to open her side of the door. What was she? A medieval maid in distress?

He was behind her now as she knew the way from here. She was silent but not jittery. The nerves had left her the moment she entered inside his car. This was it. This was her reality and not that she had invited him into her space. He came willingly so now it was only fitting if he saw what her life was.

The elderly shop owner across the street looked at them and Elaf nodded at him. His response was an affectionate smile. Sarim found the exchange sweet but didn't say anything.

Stopping outside of a rust colored door at the distance of a mere feet, Elaf rummaged through her purse and took out the key.

"This is it."

She said turning around towards him. She was standing in a way that the small door was hidden behind her, not entirely, seeing her frame was small but still enough to convey the point across. He could leave. It was up to him if he wanted to come but she hadn't made any move to invite him.

He'd invite himself. No biggie.

"I want to say Hi to Auntie and Uncle. You don't have a problem with that right?"

Elaf sighed, already expecting this would be his answer. She nodded and opened the door. Moving to the side she gave him the room to come in and he did.

The house was small. Not grand in any way but it had a touch of warmth to it. Sarim hadn't visited her place at Jauhar because they never needed to. So it was basically his first time being in a place which belonged to Elad Daud.

"Elaf! You're back?"

The voice came from the innermost section of the house. The hallway led up to the living area. Elaf motioned him to follow her inside.

Yusra was already standing there. She opened her mouth to say something but seeing Sarim behind Elaf her face formed into a pleasant expression. It was a mixture of surprise and relief.

"Sarim?"

She remembered him. Even though they had met just a handful of times she hadn't forgotten.

Sarim greeted her with a smile. Elaf watched them and without saying anything placed her purse on the table and went inside.

"Baba's asleep?"

She asked and Yusra affirmed. She was already making a fuss that they had a guest over but Sarim stopped her politely saying he was just leaving.

"It's good to see a familiar face after so long. I was almost sure that this girl will not be contacting any of you again even though I told her countless times. But thank god she at least tried."

Sarim smiled but the look he threw Elaf's way wasn't at all pleasant. She stood her ground.

"Do visit more often. You didn't even let me prepare tea."

He saw Elaf still standing there. Her body language wasn't hostile. It was almost calm. He read it as it is. This was her place and her life and she had given him a glimpse of it. Now it was up to him if he decided to linger or just turn back.

Ha. As if.

"Some other time, Auntie. I can't say no to tea and the treats you used to send for Irma. So, it's due when I visit next."

Elaf raised an eyebrow. Sarim smirked. He had given his verdict. He wasn't just vanishing. It was her forte. He was staying. Come what may.

She was behind him now as he made his way towards the door.

Her eyes were downcast. He was looking straight ahead. She was contemplating her decision. He was as sure as he was six years back.

"I'll see you tomorrow then."

"I told you to keep it professional...."

A try.

"We aren't meeting at the office. Don't worry about that. I will keep my promise of never making it out of professional bounds there."

Try failed.

She thought and then spoke again.

"Tomorrow's Sunday though."

Another try.

"We used to hang out the most on weekends anyway."

Try failed again.

"I'll pick you up and be ready, we are going somewhere."

"Where?"

He leaned against the door.

"Remember, Granna's? Safwa has bought that place and made it her own. It's nice."

Her face softened. Safwa and her charm. Sarim thought.

"How's she?"

He considered her question and then shrugged.

"Ask her yourself tomorrow. I'll come by at eight. After peak hours."

She panicked. Her playing with her fingers was indication enough.

"You think it's a good idea?"

Sarim extended his hand and conveniently stopped her frantic movements. His hand encased her fingers. There was no force in his touch. Just a promise and a gentle coaxing.

"It's the best idea. We have spent shit load of time apart. All of us. Trust me on this, Elaf, We all need it. Especially you."

He left her hand as gently as he had held it and giving her a last look, he was out of the door.

Elaf stood there.

One man reentered her life a week back and now everything had changed.

But this change didn't scare her.

_____

As soon as he left, Yusra sat her down and asked her excitedly about almost everything. How she'd find him. Where was everyone else? Had she met them as well? What was he doing now and how was Irma doing. Sadly Elaf could give a right and detailed answer for just the first question. Rest was unknown to even her and Yusra was disappointed.

She was a mother and the changes in her daughter's life over the course of the hard years were something Yusra was going to regret all her life. Her friends were the people who had given her immense support to face everything when Daud had fallen ill the first time. When their trials had just started. They were there for her during every step and that had given Elaf immense courage to go through it all.

But then life turned haywire and Elaf not only lost herself but her friends also and it left a mark. So profound.

Since the time they had come back to Karachi, Yusra was trying her best to insist that Elaf reconnect with her people but Elaf's answer was always silence or politely changing the topic. Now that Yusra had seen that one of them was back in Elaf's life, she couldn't wait for them all to meet again.

It was after that long discussion with Yusra, getting ready for bed and finally lying down under her covers that Elaf leaned against the pillow and relaxed.

Relaxed being a tricky word.

It had been a week to that encounter with Sarim in the conference hall and nothing remained the same after that.

Not just the circumstances but her thoughts as well. Her first and foremost priority was ignoring him and that failed miserably. Her second priority was not letting him know anything about her life and keep it just professional. Failed there as well. Her next priority was not giving into anything he was hinting at and there too she almost failed.

He hadn't breached any of her boundaries. She asked him to keep a distance inside the confines of the office, he did that. He never tried to prod her. But he didn't even let her be as well.

There was something in his approach which let her drop her defences, those she had put up all these years. He never demanded. Just asked. Politely with a vulnerability behind that coaxing exterior and Elaf melted right there.

But that didn't mean she wasn't scared. Heaven knows she was.

But being with Sarim, still hiding her inner turmoil as much as she could but still telling him what she hadn't told anyone, about her past and about what she endured, in meager capacity no matter, Elaf realized she was tired.

She was tired of running. Tired of not being able to live her life.

This was wearing her down, this facade was slowly deforming the real her and she was scared, now more than ever to lose it to never get it back. She was scared of becoming a shell of herself.

This fear was new. She saw the pain in Sarim's eyes. She didn't see the pity though. As if he was sure she'd fall back to what she was. And that made Elaf think on those lines as well. What was the harm in trying?

What was the harm in wanting to reach out?

She wouldn't have to narrate her trauma to anyone. Her struggles. She knew the people around her. They'd give her time. They'd never force anything on her.

Then why not?

She missed her people.

She missed each one of them.

The fear was there but with one Sarim Haider barrelling into her life had given it a turn.

For the good, towards the better, leading to the best.

Elaf was still exasperated. Still unsure. And still very much overwhelmed.

But she trusted him.

And she trusted her gut feeling which was telling her to not run away this time around. Stay. And see it for herself.

What could go wrong? Not that there were many rights in her life anyway.

And it wasn't like if she tried he wouldn't retaliate.

Elaf chuckled.

In her room, alone, for the first time in years.

Elaf chuckled and then it turned into a small laugh.

She dropped herself on the pillow and sighed.

Sarim Haider was a force to reckon with.

Years back it was her heart which lost the battle and now it was herself.

And both times, she hadn't really lost.

____

The lanes of Malir Cantt. Hadn't changed much in the span of years he was away. He concluded as he stood in the window of his room. It was bolted and the curtains were drawn to the side. No matter how chilly the weather was, as chilly as it could be in Karachi, Sarim liked the curtains drawn. The light coming in would give his room a refreshing feel.

When he first left, he had packed all his essentials to take along and the rest to be secured. He wasn't sure when he'd be back and he was right. His first trip back home was after two years and before his arrival, Farwa had his room arranged just like he had when he was living here. The gesture was wholesome. Since then, his room would be locked when he was back to the states and before his yearly arrival, Farwa would have it cleaned and would make any changes necessary.

It had lost the particular Sarim touch but that was a given. He was mostly in here like a guest and so this room slowly turned into a guest room of sorts.

It was a painful thought though. His sanctuary in all his teenage years and university life, where he was just him, not the stark opposite outcome of his father's expectations, not a misfit in his own house.

He felt the pain of losing the feel of his old room, then how must have it been for someone who lost herself.

Not entirely but significantly.

He pushed his hands in the pockets of his hoodie.

Whatever he had got to know tonight, which wasn't much, had him thinking in overdrive. Under what circumstances did Elaf and her family leave the Durrani House? What kind of evils those people put her through that she broke the engagement? And what after that? Clearly, it didn't end just there. He had gathered that from the way she reacted to his question.

Her painful eyes. Those eyes which had a story of their own to tell him.

He now knew at least some things but not everything and that was not settled well with him. He needed to know more. But more than that he needed to push Elaf towards her old life and her people. She needed a positive change in her life and he was going in the first direction of that.

He didn't want to force her into anything, not in rebuilding her own life. That was something she needed to do on her own terms. Didn't she have had enough people who tried to dictate her through it? He wanted to come around when she was ready but that didn't mean he would leave her alone to measure the waters and seeing the depth, getting cold feet. He'd be there on every step, for her, with her, by her side.

That's what people in love do right? And he was in love. Still where she had left him. His feelings were as pure. His intentions as sure.

The knock at the door had him turn around. Irma peeked inside and opening it wider came inside with a tray in her hand. Two piping hot mugs of coffee were there wafting the familiar and almost calming aroma.

Sarim opened his mouth when Irma raised her free hand.

"I know I know you don't drink coffee at night but you look stressed and nothing's better than a mug of coffee when something's bothering you. So, here you go."

She handed him one and he took it without any questions.

"Is it that evident?"

Irma nodded, taking a sip.

"Yeah. Even Ammi was worried about why Sarim is so lost since the moment he came home from dinner."

Sarim ran a finger on the perimeter of the mug. Irma looked at him and then rested her face on her palm.

"Is it work related? I've never seen you this stressed when you were in New York."

"It's not entirely the work."

"Ahan? Then what is it?"

He glanced in her way and then sighed.

"I've found Elaf."

"What!"

Irma all but shouted. Sarim gave her an alarming look and she immediately sobered up realizing her blunder. It was almost midnight and everyone was asleep.

"Where and how? How is she? Did you talk to her?"

"Slow down."

"You know I can't. She's not in the picture for almost six years, Sarim."

He knew. God, he knew.

"She works in my company as a junior on one of the manufacturing teams. I actually ran into her when I visited the other building to meet their head."

Irma was still in shock. Elaf had left their lives so silently but with such an impact that they almost felt she was never there even though she was there in all of their memories. It was tragic.

"How's she?"

"Honestly, I'm trying to figure that out myself."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that she's Elaf but she's not Elaf. It's hard to explain."

"You are scaring me."

Irma was actually looking concerned. Sarim shrugged his shoulders.

"She's lost her spirit somewhere. She doesn't speak much. Remember how talkative she was and how sassy? That got lost. I miss it. She never fights as well. Raza is a jackass and the old Elaf would've torn him a new one but this Elaf, she just nods and gets back to work."

"She must've been through something."

"She has. She's no longer engaged to that jerk, Ruman. She doesn't even live in Durrani house anymore."

"Isn't it a good thing?"

"It is. But these years, they haven't been kind to her, Irma. I'm trying to make things right but there's just so much that I can do. It's sad seeing someone who was once your inspiration to do something about your dreams, has lived a nightmare and her old self is kind of a daydream now."

Irma wound her arm around him and patted his back.

"What are you going to do now?"

"First and foremost, we need to have a gang meeting. The first step towards our normal."

"That's a good idea. Safwa will be delighted to meet her best friend."

"I'm not sure. Safwa would first want to strangle her."

"Now, she's not that bad."

"She's when she's riled up. Good thing Izaan will be there. That idiot can still calm her rage like a cakewalk."

Irma chuckled, resting her head on his shoulder.

"They are made for each other and so are you and Elaf. I just hope from here on everything will fall into place. You all have had so much time apart. Now it should just be the win of love and friendship."

That was the plan. From here on Sarim would be damned if he let things take a sour turn. That was for him and Elaf. For the other two, he could only hope that they'd see what they were losing by being lost even though they were right there in each others' reach.

"When can we all meet her?"

"Soon. When she's ready to be precise."

"I can't wait for my daughter to find out where she gets her fire from. I never knew people naming you can have an impact. It changed when Zimal grew up though. I can already tell she and Elaf are going to get along so well."

Sarim could agree to that. Just in, as if on cue, the already ajar door of his room opened again and there stood the tiny fireball in question, in her cute pajamas and braids, Dodo right behind her and Sarim could say if the dog didn't love Zimal, he'd never have left his comfortable house in Zimal's room.

"Mama! When are you getting back to our room?"

She asked and seeing Sarim, huffed. He hid his smile. She was mad at him. No points for guessing.

"I was just coming. You were asleep when I left though."

"No, I wasn't. I can't sleep with you."

She held on to Irma's hand. Irma gave Sarim a smile and started walking behind Zimal. That's when Sarim reached them and scooped Zimal up in his arms. Her scowl didn't leave her face though. This munchkin could throw a tantrum. Sarim concluded.

"What's with the long face?"

She narrowed her eyes.

"If you haven't realized so let me tell you that me and Dodo are ignoring you."

Sarim raised an eyebrow and then looked at the half asleep dog on the floor.

"I figured you. Dodo seems he's showing his anger by rolling on the floor as much as he can."

"He's in mourning."

"About what?"

"About our cancelled plans. Those we made waiting for you to finally get back from the tall building."

She was referring to his old office cabin. He had once video called them and she got a glimpse of how high up his cabin was. The window showed almost half of New York.

"Oh."

"Yes, Oh! I'm still not talking to you."

She folded her hands on her chest and looked away.

"I should star making up to you and Dodo then, hm?"

"Of course! This is why someone gets angy with you so that you can do things to make them happy."

"I didn't know that. Thank you for this."

He said, pinching her nose.

"Tomorrow's Sunday. Mamu has a thing to do in the evening. But he promises that the rest of the whole day he will spend with Zimal and Dodo. And if she likes we can invite her Mama, Nano and Nanu to our plans as well. What's say?"

She grinned. Sarim always found it comically endearing how easy it was to make her smile.

"Good idea. It's a good plan. Dodo approves."

"He didn't even raise his head."

"He brushed his tail on the floor."

"That's weird but okay."

"Okay! Thank you, Mamu. I love you. Good night!"

She kissed his cheek and hopped out of his arms. Dodo was right behind her. Irma saw them leaving the room and chuckled.

"She's going to be a drama queen when she grows up."

Sarim dismissed her.

"Oh, she already is."

He watched Irma leaving his room, closing the door behind. The exchange with his beloved niece had made his mood better.

Busy day tomorrow.

A niece to make up to and in the evening a reunion to look forward to.

____

Ibsam settled his shirt and glanced in the mirror. As always dressed sleekly and ready for another day at the office. He gave himself a critical look. Today he was going to introduce a new app his team had been working on for the past several months. He couldn't let anything go wrong, not even the dressing.

He was once told that his tech savvy self would take him places. While that was true, being Abdad Liaqat's son in law was an added bonus.

Life had been kind on Ibsam. He was working for a top class telecom. His work was appreciated. He had a handsome paycheck in his account every month. Apart from the initial push given by Abdad, he had worked his way through most of the thing.

"Here."

He was yanked out of his thoughts when Maryam pulled him towards her and started fastening his tie.

And he had a beautiful wife.

Goals. Something people would watch from the sidelines and get jealous.

But it was just surface deep. Ibsam knew it. Acknowledge it. But never said it out loud.

"Won't you wish me good luck?"

Maryam shook her head all the while focusing just on his tie.

"You don't need it. You already have the whole team under your spell."

She gave the knot a tug and smoothing his collars went away.

"Isn't that a good thing?"

She shrugged her shoulders. She herself was ready to leave for her own work in her best office attire.

"Won't you tell me if I look good?"

Ibsam shook his head just like she had a while back.

"You don't need it. You always look good."

She mock glared at him.

"I miss those days when you would always be all praises for me. You've become mean now."

"It's been two years since our wedding, Maryam."

"So, there are couples who rediscover their love everyday even if they have been married for fifteen years."

"That's fictional shit."

"Just say you are already bored and go."

"Woah woah! Where is this conversation going?"

"Nowhere just like romance in our life."

She ran a hand through her hair. Ibsam came behind her and turned her towards him.

"What's the matter?"

"I met your mother again."

Ibsam's confusion immediately got cleared. He now knew why she was acting this way.

"And?"

"And she ignored me again like I'm a plague!"

"You need to stop doing this."

"What? I was just trying to be nice, forming a conversation. She acted like I wasn't even there!"

"What else was she supposed to do?"

"I'm her daughter in law for god's sake!"

"The one she didn't want. That's the key point here, Maryam!"

Maryam raised her hands in exasperation.

"So, can't she be even civil with me as a human? I was actually trying. I've been trying for months."

Ibsam was also annoyed now. When they got married and only Izaan showed up on the day without the rest of his family, Ibsam knew that was the last nail in the coffin. Back then he didn't care much. He loved Maryam and also had a deal with her father. That man had brought Ibsam where he was today. His own hard work aside he knew if Abdad Liaqat hadn't sponsored him, he would still be experimenting with his luck and dreaming of where he was right now.

But things changed over the years. What once felt like a blessing to Ibsam slowly turned into a curse. Abdad Liaqat's attention towards him changed into caging and Ibsam never liked being caged. But he was stuck and he had to live like this now.

Maryam never showed any interest in his family in the beginning but she knew no matter how much Ibsam liked to pretend but he had played a very risky game. This could mean he could never meet his family and turn back to them all his life.

Apart from the rest of the things Ibsam agreed with Abdad Liaqat, his love for Maryam was genuine and so was hers. No matter their way of showing and demanding it but it was as genuine as it could be for people like Ibsam and Maryam.

So, for his sake she started trying to tie the broken thread between him and his family and in doing so, she learned more about the kind of people they were. Maryam had always been a neglected child. Her father loved her but he loved his other kids more, those who were more valuable than Maryam.

So, Ibsam's family, the people he himself had left to pursue his dreams, became Maryam's ideal clan and she wanted nothing more to be accepted by them.

Too bad they didn't want to do anything with Ibsam and Maryam.

Ibsam was about to strictly tell her to stop doing this when his eyes softened seeing her wiping her face. She was crying.

"You're just hurting yourself."

"Have you seen how they treat the people who aren't family? Why am I going far, have you seen how they treat Safwa Kirmani. She has no relation with them and still they pour love like it's fucking Niagara when she's around."

"You're doing what I did."

"It's wrong, Ibsam."

"Maybe but they have their reasons to be wary of us. I'm not going to justify or nullify anything. Just keep your distance. Don't do anything that makes you sad because it's not worth it."

"I'm not worth it?"

He hugged her.

"We are not worth it."

"Talk for yourself. I never did anything for them to dislike me."

"They dislike you because of association. Now don't say you'd disassociate with me just to be in their good books. I'll be very heart broken."

"As if you have a heart."

She swatted his arm away and shook her head. He smiled but something tugged at his heart.

He'd never tell her but he was trying in his own way to get back.

He was tired too.

He was ashamed too.

She looked at his lost form but didn't say anything.

She'd never tell him but she wanted to know too.

Why Safwa Kirmani was so loved and why she wasn't.

_____

"Sometimes I can't understand you guys."

Safwa exclaimed as Nabeel placed the tray on their table. She thanked him and immediately dispersed the orders. The piping hot mug of plain black coffee was in front of Izaan without a word. He looked up but she was already giving Hesham his caffe crema.

"What did we do now?"

Hesham asked, taking a sip and closing his eyes to relish it. Safwa made a face and almost pushed the plate of macaroons in front of him.

"Sarim. He specifically asked me to keep the usual table clean and gather around. This is business and I can't keep on telling the clients that I need the table for my friends."

"You are the owner, Safi."

"That's why I care for the money too."

Hesham gave her a hurt look which she reciprocated with a shrug. Izaan was as usual silent. They had gathered here because Sarim wanted an other friends get together.

It was way past the rush hours. The coffee house wasn't an ideal place for people at night. It was more of an evening outing thing. The place was doing fine so far. Safwa had formed a nice clientele in no time due to how cozy her place was. Bloggers loved the ambiance. It was Pinterest worthy and that was another attraction.

"Why he isn't here yet?"

Safwa asked again, taking a bite of the skillet cookie she loved. She pushed the tray inconspicuously towards Izaan because it was his favourite too. Hesham pretended that he didn't see anything. If he let them know, Safwa would definitely jab something in his side. The same pan maybe. 

"He said he's just ten minutes away from the coffee house."

Izaan filled them in. 

"I wonder why he asked for an emergency meet up though."

Hesham coughed on his caffe creme. Safwa raised an eyebrow.

"Do you know something you should tell us, Mr. Lawyer?"

Hesham gave her a sheepish grin which confirmed her suspicion.

"What it is."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You know!"

"I just know that he's found something and he would most likely tell you both about it."

Izaan scowled at him.

"You know that something already."

Hesham smiled.

"Well, we have bonding."

"That's a very nice way of telling that you two kept it from us."

"You two have history. I can bet there are things you two did that we'd never know but do you see us complaining?"

That shut them both up. Hesham was almost proud of himself when Safwa perked up.

"He's here."

She was sitting right by the window and had seen Sarim. A scowl settled on her face.

"And there's a woman with him."

Hesham choked on his beverage. Again. Izaan gave him a pointed look and subtly whisked the mug away. Just to be on the safer side.

Safwa turned and held Hesham's arm.

"You rascal! You never told us he was seeing someone!"

"He is not."

"He definitely isn't."

Both Hesham and Izaan spoke together. Safwa looked between them.

"It's true, Safi. Don't you know he's planning on having his name written with all the Ranjhas, Mahiwals, and Romeos. The only thing he's seeing these days is either office documents or his sorry excuse of a face in the mirror."

Izaan just nodded along. The explanation was more than enough.

Safwa wasn't satisfied but whatever she had planned on asking further, didn't get a chance to be voiced out because Sarim was right there walking towards the table. Safwa looked behind him. There was a woman but she was walking in his shadow as if trying to hide her. Safwa raised an eyebrow.

"Hello, Kids."

Sarim greeted. He was grinning ear to ear. Hesham almost gagged. Izaan made sure the coffee was out of his reach.

"Who's behind you?"

Safwa Kirmani, the one to never back down from what she had on her mind. Subtlety was often not her thing. Reason why she was best friends with Hesham.

Sarim turned to the side and the person who came in Safwa's view made her stand up from her seat.

For one whole minute there was complete silence around the table.

"Hi."

Elaf was the one to break it. And as soon as she did, It seemed like everything came in motion again.

"It's our shorty, guys!"

Hesham exclaimed and that broke the ice. He also stood up, embracing Elaf in a hug. She smiled nervously. Her eyes were still towards Safwa who was still standing and still very silent. Hesham engulfed her as a whole in his hug. She shook her head when he patted her arm as if making sure she was real and then gave a thumbs up to Sarim.

"It's good to see you. Damn, it's been long."

Izaan's embrace was as always warm just like he was as a person. Elaf smiled at him. She was glad to see him too but her throat was too clogged to say anything.

Now only one person was left to welcome her but she had her arms folded on her chest. Her eyes were narrowed and she was watching between Sarim and Elaf as if someone would manifest themselves out and say it was all their fault.

"Sit."

Safwa pointed towards the chair. Elaf sighed. So, she wasn't getting a hug. Too bad.

"Now, without further ado, explain, how the hell in God's green earth this happened!"

Hesham was back on track before anyone else.

"We met in the office."

Sarim replied with the ease that everything in his life was sorted. He even folded his arms behind his head in a perfect laid back manner.

"She works there."

Safwa added and for confirmation she looked at Sarim who nodded. She still hadn't sat down while Elaf had.

"And she didn't run away when you found her?"

Sarim gave Elaf a knowing look. She glared at him. Why were these two talking as if she wasn't in the room?

"She tried."

"She's actually sitting here if you wanna talk about her. Do it directly."

Elaf finally took part in the conversation.

Shots fired. Sarim leaned some more in the seat. He did what he wanted to do. Now everything would go on its own.

Safwa turned to her with her arms on her hips. Typical desi mum style. Hesham almost looked nervous. Izaan couldn't deny he was enjoying it. But he kept his face neutral.

"Safi, we can..."

"One second."

She raised a finger in Hesham's direction. Now she was directly facing Elaf.

"You want to talk? Let's talk. Where the hell have you been!"

Elaf was taken aback at the direct approach. She didn't know what to say. From where to start.

"The last time I reached out you never replied and when I finally got to that damned house to see you that fucker fiancé of yours told me to get the hell out of there and that you don't wanna see any of us."

She was angry. Elaf dropped her head in her palms in exasperation.

"When was that?"

"Hun?"

"The time. When did you get there to meet me?"

"A few days after we last met in the hospital."

Elaf nodded. It made sense.

"He probably said all that to you to vent. To cause damage if he still could. Just to spite you."

"Why would he do that?"

"If you haven't figured it out he's not a sane person."

"Still you are engaged to him, aren't you?"

"Was."

Safwa narrowed her eyes.

"Was?"

"Was. I broke the engagement."

A beat of silence which was broken by Hesham's loud yelp.

"Finally! I was right!"

All eyes around went towards him.

"You knew?"

Safwa asked. The edge in her voice was enough to make anyone reconsider their answer but it was Hesham. He never considered things once, reconsidering them was way out of question.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"I also know that fucker is married."

Elaf was confused.

"How do you know that? Even I didn't know that!"

She watched Hesham eyeing someone at her side. She turned around. A relaxed Sarim Haider smiled at her.

"A man gotta do what he gotta do."

Izaan jabbed at his side but today his warnings weren't working well.

Elaf gave her nastiest scowl to him when Safwa clapped to get their attention again.

"You actually broke it?"

Elaf was offended. She really thought she didn't?

"I did. By throwing the ring on his face."

Hesham whooped. Izaan smiled. Sarim smirked.

Safwa ignored that and asked again.

"When exactly did you break the engagement?"

Real talk. Elaf looked away and then at her.

"Soon after our last meet up."

Safwa pointed towards Sarim.

"How long after this idiot had fled the country."

"Don't put it like he ran from a case of money laundering!"

Hesham didn't like her tone. Safwa turned the same finger towards him.

"I will see you after this. Just stay put."

"You can't keep on asking shorty questions! I have something to ask too!"

"Later!"

Safwa dismissed him and put her attention back to Elaf.

"So?"

Elaf didn't want to look at Sarim when she answered this question. She bent her head.

"Two weeks."

"Two weeks after he left."

"Yes."

Safwa sighed exasperatedly. The boys were silent. Sarim's relaxed demeanor was no longer there.

Just two weeks?

Just two weeks after he was gone.

He could've waited for those two weeks.

He could've delayed his flight.

"Why?"

Safwa' voice was soft now. Elaf bit her lip. They all were silent.

"I had just graduated and I wanted to support my parents. I wanted to find work but they were against it. They point blank refused to let me out of the house in search of a job. So, I was left with no other option. I asked for Baba's share in the property. His inheritance. You can say the whole fiasco started from that one demand of mine. It was chaos after that. But it ended up with us out of that house and Durranis out of our lives. So yeah."

She looked up after completing her sob story. Safwa's face was pained. So was Izaan's. Hesham pushed his chair close to her and hugged her sideways. Sarim was just staring at her. Elaf couldn't tell what his reaction was.

"Then?"

"Sukkur."

"What the hell was in Sukkar."

"Hot weather. Lots of it."

Safwa didn't look convinced. The rest were anticipating what she'd say next.

"It was a fresh start."

"For how long you were there?"

Elaf stopped. There was no point in keeping it to herself.

"Five and a half years."

Silence. Once again.

"That's...that's a long time."

Elaf could agree.

"It was. We came back to Karachi some six months ago. Baba's condition kept on worsening and it was hard there. We lived in a town at the outskirts of the main city and everything was away from there. Baba would get angina in the middle of the night and then I'd have to arrange anyway to take him to the hospital. There were not quite good job opportunities and I badly needed a stable one. So, we decided to move again."

She still wasn't telling them the extent of her struggles in Sukkur. But she knew these people could read her like no one could. The solemn silence was an indication.

"That's it. That's my sob story."

She smiled. Safwa was  teary eyed. Hesham was completely silent. Izaan and Sarim too.

"I can't believe it."

Safwa suddenly cried. She started walking around and trying to calm herself.

"Safwa."

It was Izaan this time. She gave him a wounded look. Conversation through eyes. They both had always been good at it.

"You've been in Karachi for the past six months and not once did you try to contact me!"

She had practically shouted. A few heads turned towards them. Elaf looked around alarmed.

"I don't even talk about these fuckers."

She pointed around at the guys. They looked offended but no one tried interfering.

"But me? Not even me! I was your best friend!"

"You're still my best friend."

"Then why the hell!"

She exclaimed again and it again garnered reactions. Elaf scowled.

"Geez, Safwa! What's with you! I left a mellow, always sensible best friend. Where did this Mafia boss' temper come from?"

Both Hesham and Sarim looked at Izaan. Elaf got her answer. Not that she already didn't know.

"Really!"

"Oh you don't wanna know, shorty. Curiosity killed the cat."

Elaf turned to him.

"I see you're still alive. So, no. Some cats are too strong for curiosity."

He looked almost proud. Safwa was quiet now. Elaf got a glimpse of Izaan silently holding her hand. She didn't pry it away. He was trying to calm her down.

They weren't still together. Elaf could tell that but how they were still so much in sync. It was tragically sad yet beautiful.

"Now can I ask my question?"

As if she said no he'd stop. This was Hesham Baig.

"How the hell your hair grew so long! What did you do? This is some exponential growth."

Elaf kept on looking at his face and then she laughed.

It was small. It ended in mere seconds.

But it affected Sarim Haider right where it was supposed to.

"Let's go."

Safwa announced in a calmed voice. Elaf looked up at her. By now Safwa had reached her side and made her stand up.

"We have so much to catch up on. You are coming with me."

"Hey! We are also meeting her after years! You don't get to whisk her away."

Hesham was not happy but Safwa didn't care.

"Actually I do. We have a bonding, you see."

His words directed at him in a sweet voice. Elaf saw her picking her purse. She made her stand up. Elaf looked at Izaan who motioned her to go forward. They both needed this. Sarim was still silent. Hesham was grunting at Safwa but he wasn't protesting anymore.

"But Mama is waiting for me."

"I will talk to her. It's been so long anyway. I miss her."

Safwa informed her. Pulling Elaf after her she started walking out of the coffee house. The guys didn't stop them.

Elaf craned her neck and her gaze met his. He was looking right at her. And kept on doing so till she vanished out of his side.

And that evoked something within him. What she had told just a while back, the changes he had seen in her over this whole week, and now seeing her leaving. Sarim abruptly got up from his chair. Both Hesham and Izaan looked alarmed but then he was briskly walking out of the door too.

Hesham looked at Izaan.

"I'm going to get demoted from a fifth to a third wheeler and that's all on you. Learn something from him before you start sprouting silver from your head."

It was basically a low blow but it made Izaan chuckle.

How he wished.

_____

She was alone in the parking lot when Sarim got there. Safwa was surely getting her car out from the other side.

Elaf looked up when she saw him coming towards her.

"What?"

Her words got numbed as she felt his arms around her.

It was so familiar. The same way he had embraced her when she broke down after getting kicked out from the dramatics club.

The same way he had hidden her from everything in that hospital corridor.

Elaf closed her eyes.

She missed this.

She missed this vividness of having him around.

So she tightened her hold on him. Her hands clutched his shoulders while her head was right on his chest.

"Don't vanish again. Ever again."

Elaf smiled.

Not that she was going to.

She won't.

Not after this.

But she didn't say it.

She couldn't say it.

The horn of Safwa's car broke the spell and Elaf immediately turned away from him.

He saw her sitting inside on the passenger seat and just as the car was about to swerve and drive away, Elaf glanced at him through the window.

How different it was from the last time she had seen him while she was sitting in a car just like this.

Then everything was wrong.

Now everything was right.

_____

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

887 58 21
The tale of two madly in love souls, craving each other more than anything, torn apart by unexpected and unfortunate circumstances.
56 0 1
It’s tiring to go the distance for someone that you love. It’s even harder to cherish them in your heart and mind every single day. Only the special...
14K 800 19
Pain is what every one says everyone has experienced also but pain of a girl who doesn't know what is love from her childhood what happens when she...
114K 8.5K 49
تم سے رنجش بھی ہے اختلاف بھی اور کچھ ع ش ق بھی ᴍᴀɴʏ ʟɪᴠᴇs ᴇɴᴛᴀɢʟᴇᴅ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ; ᴇxᴘᴇʀɪᴇɴᴄɪɴɢ ʙᴏɴᴅs, ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇs, ғᴜɴ, ʟᴏᴠᴇ, ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʙʀᴇᴀᴋs. ᴡ...