Hot Potato

By ZonderZorg

Gigi, an aromantic bi, doesn't know what she wants most - a husband, a lover, or her own restaurant. She has... More

Introductory Matter
1. Double Whammy
2. Of Luck
3. A Waiting Game
4. Quandary
5. A Hot Potato
6. An Interview
7. So, Now What?
8. Analysis
9. Food for Thought
10. My New Empire
11. Meeting
12. Introductions
13. New Direction
14. Why Now?
15. Not Safe for Work
16. Acquainting
17. Decision Time
18. The Heart of the Matter
19. Of Shipping and Shopping
20. Proper and Not
21. Of Connections
22. Spot On
23. Videos
24. Police
25. Comfort and Not
26. Of Hate and Love
27. Dunc's View
28 . More Oh, Wows
29. Of Romance and Love
30. Of Bonding
31. The Moment of Truth
32. A New Company
33. Acquisition
34. Spreading the Word
35. Addressing the Staff
36. Reevaluations
37. Of Accounting and Slips
38. Of Leads and Leadership
39. Moving Forward
40. Of Marketing and Management
41. Of Recruiting
42. Marcy
43. Reorganisation
44. A Third Wheel
45. On a Plate
47. Mac and Cheese
48. After-Dinner Treats
49. Pieces Falling into Place
50. Whoops!
51. Calming the Waters
52. The Power of Three
53. Grand Opening

46. Of Bobbles and Bubbles

70 8 7
By ZonderZorg

We took the elevator to the parkade, where Dunc led us past a few dozen cars until the trunk popped open on a sleek, silver-grey sedan as we neared. With the lid up, I couldn't see the make, so I asked, "Nice car – what is it?"

"A Mercedes E350."

He loaded the three suitcases, then as the lid powered closed, I read the plaques. "Wow! Fanciest four-wheel-drive I've ever seen."

"It's great for Whistler in winter road conditions."

"You ski? Hah, of course, you do – to be up among the mountains."

He nodded as he opened the doors for Marcy and me. "I have a chalet up there."

I settled into the front seat, sighing as I sunk into the deep leather upholstery, and when Dunc got in, I asked, "Can we drive past? See if they've got him yet."

Marcy snorted a laugh in the back seat. "Your impatience, G. So eager to know, yet so slow to decide."

While Dunc backed out of the slot, he said, "We'll drive by. Satisfy my curiosity, as well."

He threaded through the aisles, working his way from under Winners toward the Home Depot parking area. Then we turned a corner, and I ducked down. "Fuck! That's him."

Dunc stopped the car. "He can't see through the tinted glass. Sit up and watch them nab him."

We watched as Garth walked to his car and unplugged and coiled the cord. Then as two uniformed police emerged from the rows and approached him, I fist-pumped. "Yes! Yes, yes, yes."

The three engaged in conversation for a while, Garth pulling out his wallet. Showing ID, I assumed. Then the two officers headed back toward their car. "What the fuck?"

"Probably false ID." Dunc pulled forward, turning the car to block the aisle, then he got out and ran toward the police car, beckoning me to follow.

I paused to wonder why. Of course, to confirm identification. I got out and ran after him.

When Garth had finished coiling the cord and stowing it, he got in and started backing out of the slot. Oh, God! How do I stop him?

Dunc was now at the police car, and whatever he had said, it caused them to drive forward, put their bumper against the tiny car and stop it.

I reached Dunc, and as he pulled me into a side hug, I began controlled breathing to help me regain calm. The two officers got out and approached Garth's mini car. No guns drawn. Of course not. This is Canada. Gotta stop watching US programming.

Garth complied with their order to get out and place his hands on top of his head, protesting as he did, "I already told you. You've got the wrong person. Whoever you're looking for, I'm not him."

"Frisk him," I shouted. "Pat down his crotch; you'll find a massive penis."

"Gigi?" He slapped a hand to his mouth. "Aww, fuck!"

"Gotcha, Garth."

Dunc held me as I trembled. "No need to fear him anymore, Gigi."

"Yeah. I think the shaking's from relief."

We watched as Garth was handcuffed and bundled into the back seat of the police car. Then Dunc said to one of the officers, "A short while ago, I phoned in some information about an extortion note from him." He pulled out his wallet and took a piece of folded paper from it. "Put this in an evidence bag. His fingerprints will be on it."

Garth called from the back seat, "What about my car? It's unlocked, and my computer bag's in it."

"The keys are still in it," One of the officers said. "We'll have it taken to the compound."

"And my computers?"

"We'll take care of them."

Dunc pulled me close and whispered, "They'll mine them for evidence."

"Yeah, just thinking that."

By this time, a small crowd had gathered to watch, and someone beeped at Dunc's car blocking the aisle. He released the hug and took my hand. "Nothing more we can do here. Come, let's head home."

"Ummm! Sounds so good."

Marcy had remained standing beside Dunc's Mercedes, and as we approached, she raised her arms in a cheer and said, "Fast thinking, Gigi. Brilliant!"

"Thank you. Use a prick to ID a prick. Poetic justice." I shrugged. "And to twist Shakespeare's, hoist with his own petard –foist with his own peter."

Five minutes later, as Dunc pulled into a huge empty space, I said, "Wow! Lucky. Three spots directly in front of your house. Rare to find any parking open around here."

He pointed up through the windshield at the sign. "Vancouver bylaws. Resident-only parking by permit. My double lot gives room for three or four cars out here. With only three other residences in the seven blocks between Cambie and Main, all having their own street parking, there are always open spaces." He chuckled. "The meter maids and tow truck operators love keeping it so."

Dunc lifted the luggage from the trunk and grabbed two pieces while I took the third. Then he led us through the gate in the hedge, along the walk and up onto the veranda. As he unlocked the door and keyed the alarm pad, I smiled at Marcy's eyes growing round, taking in the scene. "Wait 'til you see the kitchen, Marce; it's better than in most restaurants."

He set the luggage down inside. "I'll take these up later. Let's go find a worthy bottle of Champagne – we need to celebrate Garth's arrest."

"If that's even his real name."

"Indeed, Gigi. This is what I had argued to the police. His ID may be valid, but he had possibly used a spurious name with you to evade detection. Told them you had identified him before he approached his car."

He led us into the wine room, and I delighted in Marcy repeating my previous wows. After pondering for a while, Dunc said, "Let's do the 2008 Roederer Cristal – 99 and 100 points from the top writers. Still young but already showing superbly."

Then at the granite-topped island in the kitchen, he opened the bottle with a quiet hiss, and as he poured, he said, "I was taught that Champagne should be opened with a sound no louder than the sigh of a contented woman. Until yesterday, I had no reference for that."

I sighed, then sighed again. "Continue treating me like this, and I'll give you a lifetime of them."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Did the arrest of Garth make you cheer?

Marcy's appreciation of Dunc should now be much stronger. Might this evolve beyond only friendship and work?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 977 50
She's dead by the third chapter. Okay, it's a bit more complicated than that. Okay, it's A LOT more complicated than that. Renata wants nothing more...
410K 1K 4
[ COMPLETED ] 🌟 FEATURED NOVEL ON WATTPAD'S @sport 🌟 ("FREE KICKS" Reading List) 11.3.21 Just two dudes kissing with their socks on. It'...
3M 99.9K 129
Natalie and Evie are very different people. They are very different in age, in income, and at different stages of their lives. Natalie is a partner...
27.1K 2.2K 40
When Charlie Miller loses her job the week before both her roommates move to California, she decides it's time to get out of Texas. But with her bank...