Falling for Death

By magdalenaandi

Book 1 in The Life and Death Duet This is the story of a boy who didn't think he could ever love somebody an... More

Shadow
Bakery
Interesting
Thoughts
Okay
Playlist
Party
Late
Secrets
Friends
Maybe
Dream
Something
Fight
Heated
Memories
Deja vu
This way
Gone
Picture perfect
Before
Why me
Drained to nothing
Part of me
Reason
Date
Again
Therapy
Together
Shopping
One day
Promise
Traitor
Apart
Hate or love
Drivers license
The end of the world
Home
Anything
Dangerous
Hero
Perfect
Bloody valentine
Dance with the devil
Confession
Future
Flowers
Speechless
Her
It always ends
Loved and lost
Move on
Strangers
Life goes on
One last time
New beginnings
The one that got away
Epilogue
Author's note

Life and death

12.2K 237 361
By magdalenaandi

Harper

I opened my eyes suddenly when I heard my phone vibrate front the nightstand. Sitting up, I realized that I had fallen asleep while I was reading last night.

Idiot.

What the fuck-

The device vibrated again. It was Ace. Who else would it be?

Acey <33

I'm outside.

Harper. Wake up.

I laughed, telling him I'd be out soon and put my phone down. Stretching out my arms, my joints made that gross but satisfying crack. I got up and made my bed.

For some reason, this morning I felt oddly motivated.

Going into my bathroom, I rinsed my face, put on my usual make up and did my hair. I decided to put it up in two small bubble braids and leave  the rest of my hair down but curled.

It looked good. I smiled to myself and went to my closet. Grabbing my outfit, a simple mini black slip dress and a white long sleeved shirt. I changed quickly and took out my black minimalist combat boots. Putting those on, I did a little outfit check in front of my mirror.

Cute.

I added some jewelry that matched my outfit and grabbed my bag. I headed downstairs and my mom was sitting on the couch. I was confused because I thought she'd be at work at this hour.

She looked at me and gave me a knowing look.

"What's got you in a good mood?"

"Nothing." she laughed.

"Well you better go now, he's outside waiting."

"What?"

"Sweetie, he came knocking on the door a half hour ago and asked me if he could take you to school. What a nice young man." I laughed, "Now go!"

"Okay okay. Bye mom!"

"Bye, honey."

And just as he said, he was waiting in font of my house for me when I walked outside. Leaning against the door of the passenger side.

Creepy much?

I smiled and went over to him. His eyes raked over my body, scanning my outfit. He licked his lips and pulled me towards him by my waist and kissed my forehead.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"You're fucking beautiful." he mumbled, my heart fluttered at his words.

"So are you." he raised an eyebrow.

"You think I'm beautiful?"

"Obviously. Actually you're more than that." his cheeks turned light pink for a second then he cleared his throat.

"I like your outfit."

I personally love it when people compliment my outfit, especially when it's him.

"Thank you."

"Are you alright?"

"Better now." he chuckled softly.

"Let's go?" I nodded.

"You finally decided to go to school." he rolled his eyes.

"Actually. I was thinking we could skip today." That's not a bad idea but exams are coming up so I didn't exactly want to miss out on anything.

"What about exams."

"You're overworking yourself, you need a break." I shook my head, "I swear, it'll only be for today."

"Fine. But if we skip, where would we go?" he smirked faintly.

"I have a place in mind."

"Oh no."

"You'll love it." I smiled.

"Alright." and in this moment, I thought he was going to kiss me but instead I felt it, he squeezed my ass firmly, I gasped in surprise but it sounded more like a moan.

"Ace!" he raised an eyebrow at me seductively.

"You like that?" Yes.

"You wish."

"That I do." I slapped his chest.

"Go over there and touch the grass." I pointed to the lawn.

"How about no?" he mimicked the words I had told him last night.

"Idiot." I mumbled. He squeezed my but again, his hands feeling up my dress. I bit my lip to suppress another moan from escaping.

"When did you get so touchy?" I'm not complaining though.

"You want to me stop?"

"No." his lips twitched upwards. Suddenly, he pulled his hands away, leaving me missing the feeling of them roaming my body. He stepped away and opened the door for me as if nothing happened.

Fucking tease.

I blushed and got in. He got in on his side and sped off down the busy streets.

I looked out the window to hide the fact that my cheeks were tinted pink.

With one hand on the steering wheel, he moved his other hand to my thigh, tracing small circles on my skin. His cold ringed and tatted hand travelled further up my dress, I arched my back slightly. He played with the hem of the fabric of my dress and slid his fingers to my upper thigh.

"Ace." I breathed out. He hummed in response, acting like he wasn't feeling me up. The feeling in between my legs only increased.

"What's wrong love?"

"Nothing." he removed his hand and I immediately wanted to feel that again. I wanted him to touch me.

I craved it.

I shot him a glare and adjusted my dress, clearing my throat.

"So, what place do you have in mind this time?" I asked curiously.

"You'll see." I groaned.

"If I fail my exams because you brought me to some sketchy ass place instead of school, I'm going to kill you."

"I'll help you study." I heard the double meaning behind his words and my stomach fluttered with butterflies.

"I'm good." he chuckled.

"We're almost there."

He pulled up to an empty looking warehouse. As strange as it was, I was intrigued.

"What are we doing here?" no answer. He got out and came around to my side, opening the door for me.

I got out and gave him a confused look. He only shook his head in response.

Going over to the trunk, he opened it and took out two bottles of pink and purple spray paint.

What?

He nodded at me to follow him as he headed to the building. I looped my arm in his and skipped happily while he walked.

"Are we even allowed to be here?"

"I don't know." I gaped at him.

"So you just decided to take me here without thinking about whether or not it's legal."

"Relax we'll be fine."

"I don't trust you right now."

"You should." I pursed my lips.

"Come on." he said and grabbed my hand. Since we couldn't go in through the door, it was locked, we had to climb through the window.

He stood in front of me with his arms open, signalling for me that he was going to lift me up. I reluctantly placed my arms around his neck and he hoisted me up. I made it through the window without any problem.

He came in right after me. Man is built like a ninja.

He grabbed my hand again and dragged me further into the creepy warehouse.

I took in a deep breath and shut my eyes for a moment.

It's not that I was scared of the dark, I found peace within it but something about this place didn't sit right with me.

It could be me being paranoid again though. I shook away my unexpected fear and he gave my hand a small reassuring squeeze.

"I'm here."

"I know." he brought my hand to his lips and kissed it.

Wow.

"You're safe with me baby." I smiled softly.

"That's makes me feel so much better." I told him sarcastically but deep down I truly meant it.

He rolled his gorgeous eyes.

"This way." he muttered, we walked down a hallway. If it was even possible, it was much much darker in here and that terrified me even more.

"It's worth it." I looked at him.

"Are you going to kill me and leave me in here?" he chuckled.

"Maybe." Help.

"Ace! Stop. I'm not joking." he gave me a look.

"I would never hurt you." I softened.

"That doesn't help."

"I'll always protect you."

"As you should."

"Yes ma'am." I laughed.

"But what if someone's waiting to kill us in here."

"No one can hurt you. I won't let them."

"But if they kill us, we could haunt this place."

"And live forever together as ghosts?" I nodded. "Sounds like a plan." I smiled.

Bright minds think a like, my friend.

"The only disadvantage is that you'd probably get bored of me."

"I could never." his voice sounded sincere. I liked that.

"Maybe I'd get bored of you." No, I could never.

"Impossible."

I was too focused on not looking at the pitch black areas to answer, we kept walking until we reached a staircase that led upstairs to I'm guessing the rooftop.

He squeezed my hand again, noticing my discomfort. I smiled gratefully.

"You're going to really like this." he stated confidently as we headed up there. We walked for what felt like a really long time and on top of that, it was also really dark here.

I'm pretty sure something touched my leg. It better not be a spider or I'm running.

There was a door. He kicked it open and the cold wind immediately hit my cheeks. I secretly loved that feeling.

I know, it's strange that I do prefer cold weather but you have to admit, that feeling on your face as you walk outside when it's almost winter time is a good one.

Looking around, I gasped at the sight. We were on the roof of this creepy building, and unlike that, the view we got from up here was absolutely breathtaking.

We could practically see the whole city.

And since it was coming down to winter, the sunrise was a lot later than usual. I understood why he brought me here.

He led me to a spot where we got the perfect view of the sunset and we sat down. He placed the bottles of spray paint down beside us.

Okay, I think I get what we're doing.

I scooted closer to him and rested my head against his shoulder. He didn't tense up this time.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and kissed the side of my head. We watched the sunrise together in silence.

"See, I knew you'd like it." I laughed and agreed with him. I really did like it.

And I liked it even more that he took the effort to find this place and take me here.

I liked his thoughtfulness.

We pulled away and he leaned against the pillar behind him while I sat close to the edge of the roof. I stared down and watched as cars passed by.

"How did you find this place?" I asked.

"I come here often to think." In a way, it reminded me of the cliff by the sea that he brought me to.

But this place felt even more special. Creepy and special.

"You think often then?" I mused. His lips formed into the smallest of smiles.

"Yeah and my thoughts consist mostly of you."

"I know and you told me you hated it." he shook his head. Also remembering that day.

"I lied. It's just almost infuriating."

"Then stop thinking about me."

"I can't." I smirked confidently and looked back at him. He was still staring off into the distance.

"Well, I can't stop thinking about you either."

"What does this mean?" he questioned.

"It means we're getting somewhere."

He sighed, "It should bother me that I'm feeling this way, but it doesn't."

"Why should it bother you?"

He tore his gaze away from the view and looked at me. "Because feelings are weakness."

I scoffed, "Says who?"

"Life." he replied.

"Then death says otherwise."

He chuckled, "Smart ass."

"No but seriously, it's okay to have feelings. They don't make you weak."

"That's where you're wrong."

"Enlighten me."

"The moment you have feelings. That gives someone the advantage to hurt you. In my case, you have the upper hand. Because you, only you could destroy me." I was shocked. Speechless even at how cold and emotionless his voice was.

"Same goes for you. You could hurt me."

"You're right I could. You trust too easily."

"So I'm wrong for trusting you?"

"No. Because like I said, I would never hurt you. It simply isn't possible. Even though that's all I'm good for. I could but I'd rather die than do so."

"What if I don't care that you could." I said quietly.

"Then you're stupid."

"People will always be able to hurt me. It's inevitable. But you, I don't care if you hurt me. Remember what I told you?" he nodded.

"You're too good for me."

"Maybe." I teased. He managed a laugh. The mood lifted a little.

"I'm glad we met, Harper." I smiled.

"Me too."

"I've never met anyone like you."

"That's because I'm so cool. Better than everyone."

"That's true."

"You're cooler though."

"Not possible."

"Take the compliment. Nobody's cooler than me but you. So be grateful." he shook his head and got up. Extending his hand to me.

I took it and he helped me up.

He grabbed the spray paint bottles and handed me the pink one and he took the purple one.

"What are we doing with these?" he walked over to the wall. The plain wall.

Oh my gosh.

"Watch." he opened the bottle and started spraying the paint onto it. It took me a while to realize that he was writing out names in bold. I grinned and went beside him.

The hiss of the spray paint was the only noise we could hear.

I retraced our names with the pink paint and then started drawing random things beside it. I added flowers and butterflies onto our names and he retraced them with purple.

It looked so cool.

After a while, my arms got tired and I put the spray paint bottle down.

"Hold on. Isn't this illegal?"

"It is." I gulped.

"Well if we get arrested, I'm saying it was your idea."

"They won't do shit."

"I don't believe you. This is a crime and we're the criminals."

"It's not that bad. Come on, admit it. This is art. Art shouldn't be a crime." a laugh escaped my lips.

"True. It does look good and technically we did this building a favour." I pointed out.

"Yes."

"Wait. Doesn't anyone own this building?"

"It's always empty."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I sighed in relief.

"Okay."

"But we're trespassing." I added, he shrugged.

"Too bad."

"We're criminals now."

"This is the first time you did something illegal?"

"Well... no."

"So the good girl has sinned?"

I mean, me and the twins have done some shady stuff but I'm not exposing myself like that.

Stealing from the dollar store is one of them but that's all I'm saying. Well, you'd be lying if you said you'd never stole from there.

"I'm not a good girl." he licked his lips. Amusement flashing in his eyes.

"What happened?"

This particular memory sparked in my mind.

"I was eleven, me and this boy went to an abandoned attraction park, we brought spray paint and graffitied everything. It was really funny." something lit up in his eyes.

"Who?"

"I don't know, it was a while ago but it was some kid named Alex or something like that." his lips slowly formed into the smallest of smiles.

No really, He was just some white kid that had a name that started with an A.

Wait-

No. Never mind.

"Oh! I might have some photos of that day, my mom has this album full of pictures of me when I was younger. Maybe later we can check." I went on.

"I already know what little you looked like." I snorted.

"Oh yeah because you like to stalk me."

"Possibly, yes." I beamed.

"You should show me more photos of little you. I'd love to see them."

"Maybe one day."

"No, one day." I corrected.

"They're embarrassing."

"I doubt that." he rolled his eyes.

"Harper, watch this." he took the bottle out of my hand and threw it off the roof while I stood there, clearly not expecting that.

He threw the other one there too.

Suddenly, the sound of a car's alarm going off blared through the area. I covered my ears as the alarm got louder and then it stopped.

Relief washed through me.

"Ace!" he winked.

"What?"

"That wasn't funny."

"Yes it was." I glared at him.

"Wow you're such a bad boy." I said sarcastically.

"But you like bad boys."

"No. I don't."

"You like me."

"Do I?" he smirked.

"Yes you do." he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me to him. Our bodies were pressed flush against each other.

He leaned down slightly and cupped my face with his other hand. I slowly wrapped my arms around his neck.

He stared into my eyes for a moment then, our lips collided. The kiss started off slow and passionate and in no time got heated and sensual.

I moaned into his mouth as he wrapped his hand around my throat.

"Good girl." he said, resting his forehead against mine. I smiled breathlessly, my heart fluttering for the millionth time today.

"I don't like you."

"That's not what you said when I was-" I cut him off.

"Shut up."

"If you kiss me again, I will."

"No-" I was interrupted.

"Hey!" Someone yelled, it sounded like an older man, actually it was multiple people, we turned our attention towards them.

They were standing where the car was, looking up at us. They quickly made their way towards the entrance of the building.

Oh shit.

"Fuck." Ace muttered.

"This is your fault."

He shook his head and threw me over his shoulder and ran down the stairs back to the window where we came in from and put me down.

He hoisted me up and I climbed out. He followed suit.

The sound of those people kicking at the door caught our attention. Luckily, they didn't see us.

He dragged me back to his car and that's when they noticed. They pulled out their guns and pointed them right at me.

My eyes widened in fear. Ace clenched his jaw and signalled for me to get in the car. I did. As soon as he got in, he sped off.

I was breathing at an abnormally fast pace. He realized this and cursed under his breath.

"Baby, listen to me. Everything's okay. I'm here. Take a deep breath." I did so. My breaths coming out shakily, "That's it. In and out." he grabbed my hand with his available hand.

"In and out." he repeated. His eyes switched from me to the road every now and then. Well obviously.

I was grateful for what he did. That he knew what to do in this type of situation.

I had a panic attack. Not a major one but still. I haven't had one in a while.

Then out of nowhere, I started laughing. He looked at me with amusement.

He joined in.

"That was so funny." I said after I calmed down, "Did you see the guys face?"

"I wish I didn't."

"Thank you for that."

"Anytime." he made a quick left turn.

"Do you race?" I asked randomly. He nodded once.

I gasped in excitement.

"Oh my gosh. Can you teach me?"

"You don't even have your license." I shrugged.

"And?"

"It's dangerous."

"But it looks so fun." he sighed.

Like the cars go vroom vroom and you can win money. Lots of money.

"I can take you to one of my races, if you want."

"Yes!"

"It's not like the movies, sweet cheeks."

"Um yeah I think it is."

"It's far worse."

"How so?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

"How much money do you make from racing?"

"Up to ten grand." Nice.

"When is said race."

"Tomorrow."

"Can I ride with you?" he smirked.

"No but you can ride me." my jaw dropped, I recovered quickly.

"You're too cocky for your own good."

"You know you want me." Uh yes.

"Friends don't say that." he scoffed.

"I know damn well we're more than friends, baby," he said.

"Are we?"

In all honesty, I really don't know what we are. I know for sure that I don't think of him as a friend anymore and the thoughts I have about him...

We're more than friends but less than lovers.

I'm going to change that.

"We are."

"So there's an 'us'?"

"Do you want there to be an us?"

"I don't know."

"Why?"

"Well the idea love and relationships doesn't really seem... appalling?"

Like I said before, I've never really wanted to fall in love or be in a relationship. Sure, I've envied the kind of love I read in books but books are different.

The love is real. Though in this cruel life, it isn't. Look at my parents for example, if my dad truly loved my mom, he wouldn't have left.

If he really loved us. He would've stayed.

Take a look at the millions of divorced couples. Children growing up without a parent. Families torn apart.

Broken promises. Empty words. Shattered hearts.

If love was real, that shit wouldn't happen. Or maybe love wasn't the problem, maybe love simply wasn't enough.

No, not maybe. Love isn't enough. I never believed to be. Never felt it.

However, a part of me wanted to fall in love. To feel that sense of 'home' with somebody. To give my heart to that person and hope that they don't break it.

Perhaps I did believe in it. I was just scared. And the reason for this, is that Ace came into my life and completely flipped it upside down.

"Understandable." he seemed disappointed in a way. But he once told me that he felt the same way about love. So why?

"What about you?"

"I don't think I am capable of loving." Ouch.

I could change his mind on that or maybe he'll be right in the end. For all I know, he could change mine.

Only time would tell.

"But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try. The only thing is, would you be as well?" I smiled.

"Definitely."

Now, it's too early to say love but I could say it with confidence that I wanted there to be an us and so did he. Meaning, if we tried, maybe just maybe, we could make it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 365 19
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...
64.7K 2.4K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...
439K 15.2K 75
[Warning: this book contains SEXUAL content, crude language, drug use & abusive scenarios. If you aren't mature enough to read, don't.] First novel...
1.8M 30.1K 39
He's rich. He's dangerous. He's sexy. After moving to California, I met a notorious bad boy named Ace. As my feelings for him grew stronger, so did m...