Moving On

By seveneightseven

After suffering a massive heartbreak, Sebastian Reid decided that it’s time to move on and start a new life:... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - "Start of Something New"
Chapter 3 - "Take time to Realize"
Chapter 4 - "Bitter Sweet Memories: Part 1"
Chapter 5 - "Bitter Sweet Memories: Part 2"
Chapter 6 - "Stage is Set, Spotlight's On"
Chapter 7 - "Seb's Suspicions Surfacing"
Chapter 8 - "Tension 10x"
Chapter 9 - "Revelations"
Chapter 10 - "Love is in the air...& in her Dreams"
Chapter 11 - "Puzzle Pieces"
Chapter 12 - "Long Time No See"
Chapter 13 - "Big Day, Big Game"
Chapter 14 - "Your Shoulder to Cry On"

Chapter 2 - "The Meeting"

55 0 0
By seveneightseven

"Basement!"

"Backyard!"

"Basement!"

"Backyard!"

"Basement!"

"Backyard!"

"Okaaaaay, you two stop arguing!" Diane -my stepmom -finally decides to step in between my sisters' war and thank God she did 'cause neither of them wanted to give up. "Why don't you show Seb the inside of the house first then you guys can go outside and enjoy the sun."

"Ha! I told you!" Kristen sticks her tongue out to Carly breaking their intense staring contest.

"Ugh, fine," Carly puts, "I guess we'll start downstairs."

*********

"WOW!" My eyes widened as I look around the basement. To my right there's a mini bar; the countertop, the cabinets and the four stools are made up of a dark shade wood material, identical to the handrail of the staircases. To my left, there's a home theater system; a 100 inch screen is installed into the far wall; two bean bag couches that could fit probably five people each, form an "L" in front of the screen; there's a pool table behind the bean couches and two identical carpets cover the hardwood floor: one under the pool table and one between the screen and couches.

"Like it?" Kristen asks.

I intensely shook my head and grin as I look at their reactions. You know those 'you've gotta be kidding me look'.

"I don't like it...I LOVE IT!" I plop myself on one of the bean bag couches. I heard my sisters chuckle.

"This is sooooooo cool! So, I'm guessing this is where your friends get crazy drunk.."

Carly punches me on the shoulder. "I guess you'll be able to answer that question by tomorrow, "she winks, "and for sure, you'd be one of us soon."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah, my friends are coming over tomorrow. Mom and dad would be out of town with Kristen. She has a dance competition."

"Yup! And we are bringing home the bacon!" My youngest sister proudly claims as she crosses her hands on her chest. "What about you Seb, do you dance?"

Dance.....................................

"Earth to Seb!" My heart skipped when I saw Kristen staring at me, our faces only a few inches apart.

"Geez, you scared me!"

"Sorry, you zoned out. So, do you dance," she repeats.

"I-uh...well," I stated as I think of a way out of answering the question and finally, "let's just say that I'm a beginner." I shook my hips awkwardly.

"HAHAHA! Okay but even Carly can do better than that," she smirked.

"Hey! It's not my fault that I wasn't blessed with the same level of gracefulness as you." Carly defended herself, her eyebrows curling.

'Looks like I'm off the hook for now. They seem pleased with my answer.'

"Oooh! Where would that lead us?" I asked while pointing at a sliding glass door at the end of the hallway.

"To paradise!" They answered at once while weirdly grinning at me.

"Huh?"

"Shall we?" Kristen offered a hand and immediately pulled me towards the door.

It turns out that the sliding doors opens into the driveway and a gate to our left apparently leads to the backyard....

"Now you're right. This, this is PARADISEEEEEEEE!"

'I bet I look like an idiot right now. Like seriously, here I am standing by an oval-shaped swimming pool, smiling like a fool. (it rhymes! lol :D) It's beautiful!'

On the opposite side of me, there are rocks that form a mini mountain side with several bushes and shrubs on top; I can't tell of they are real or not. There's also a miniature stream from the top of the rocks that spills into the pool.

To my right, you can see the whole city. In other words, we're pretty much on top of a mountain overviewing the rest of LA. Cool right?

"We can eat dinner here later so you can enjoy the view a bit more. We'll be facing the sunset in a couple hours." We turn around to see dad on the upstairs deck.

"That'd be amazing!"

"Hey Car, why don't you grab your keys and take your brother for a ride?"

"Sounds good. I'll be back."

***************

"Whoa! What the- this is your car?!"

"Mmhhhhhmmmm," Carly responded as we get into her white Audi A5 convertible. I’m in the passenger seat and Kristen at the back.

"Giggles.." I turned  around to face Kristen who's still giggling.

"Sorry, you just seem to be excited with everything we've shown you. You're too cute big bro."

"Oh my bad. It's just that I didn't know anything about dad before today. I didn't even know about you two 'til I met him at the airport. So yea."

"Oh. Well here's the start to 'knowing more about us'. Right Car?"

"Definitely. But we should go; they want us back before sunset."

*About two hours later*

"Right on time!" Diane claimed as we walk into the backyard.

"Now this is how we do it in West Hollywood." Dad added while handing me a glass of champagne.

"Thank you." I answer before taking a sip

'Hmmm, a pool side picnic. Cool!'

"So Carly, what did you guys do?" Dad asked.

"Besides driving around....nothing!"

"Sounds like you two would really get along. That's her way out of stuff."

"I heard," flashing my sister a smile.

"Oh before I forget," dad began, "Lisa will drop by tomorrow around noon to give you your phone and your class schedules and other school papers."

'Who's Lisa?'

"Lisa is dad's secretary," Kristen whispered to me as if she read my mind.

The day ended early today. After eating we watched the sun set before heading back inside the house. Just then, I got some alone time and decided to organize my stuff. After that, I took a shower and got ready for bed. It's already 9:45 and as I was about to close my eyes, someone's knocking on my door.

"Seb.." I heard Kristen's voice.

"Come in."

"I just wanna say goodnight."

I sit up and give her a hug. 'Oh boy she's so sweet.'

"Good luck on your competition tomorrow. I'm sure your crew will own the stage," she smiled as I pull out of the hug.

"Thanks. I hope to see you and Carly next time."

"Of course." I assured her before giving her rosy cheeks a peck. "Promise.  Now, you should rest. Big day tomorrow."

"Goodnight."

I've only been here for a matter of hours and it's already starting to feel like home. I guess this wouldn't be that bad after all. Speaking of home, I wonder how mom's doing back in Melbourne. I hope she's not worrying too much about me. Oh well, I'll call her tomorrow once I get my phone but right now Seb, stop thinking and go to sleep..........

After looking around the room several times I whispered, "where am I?"

I walked towards the glass windows and immediately noticed that it is still dark outside. I looked out into the view of the city -with the darkness elaborating the city lights below. "Oh right, Los Angeles."

'Looks like I'm not gonna be able to go back to sleep that easily. Ugh, stupid time difference.' I glanced at the digital clock on my side table; it reads 1:04. 'Great, it's already morning in Melbourne.'

Knowing that I would probably stay up all night, I decided that I'll go chill outside by the pool. But while walking by Carly's room, I heard some shuffling and the lights are still on so I decided to knock on her door.

"Come in," I saw her smile when she saw me peak in. "Can't sleep?"

"Mhhhmm," I nodded while walking towards her bed. I picked up one of the pictures she had scattered on her bed as I sat down beside here. "Scrapbook?"

"Yeah. These are pictures from last school year. Every year before school starts I make one; then I'll show it to my friends. To reminisce on everything that happened, you know," she explained as she glued a picture on a blank page.

"That's a good idea. Reminisce on the past before starting another year. I like that."

"Oh I did mention that they're coming over tomorrow right? Don't worry though, I already told them that you'll be staying here with us and that you're attending our school this year."

'Right, school starts in less than two weeks...'

"This must be due tomorrow then?" she nodded. "Procrastination at its finest!" I exclaimed with a wink.

"Get used to it. You'll see more when school starts."

I looked up pretending to read something on the ceiling, "I can see the future."

"AAAAHH!" I yelped as she pinches my left cheek. "That hurts," I added as she finally let go.

"Good!" She claimed sternly. "Wanna help?"

"Sure."

"Uhm well, you can spread these pictures," she ordered as she hands me a container.

"Camwhores!" I claimed as I look at the pictures on by one before setting them on her bed.

"Hahaha, again, get used to it!"

I shrugged my shoulders and instantly froze as I stare at the picture on my hand. It's one of Carly and another girl with a volleyball trophy -it appears. I blinked a couple times to make sure I'm not hallucinating but nothing changed. The other girl....it can't be....she..she's dead....

My heart's thumping on my chest, my hands start to sweat and my eyes still fixed on the picture. It can't be..... it can't be!

"Seb! Seb!" Carly's voice finally registered on my brain. "Are you okay?"

"Uh-yea....yea, I'm fine."

'Keep calm Seb. Relax.'

"You look...scared," I noticed that her eyes have shifted her attention on me, worry completely filling both her orbs.

"No, no, no. I'm fine."

'Another lie.'

"She-uh reminds me of someone I know. Just memories rushing back, if you know what I mean."

"Oh," she still looks worried. "Well that's Mariah, the best of my best friends," finally, she smiled. "She's pretty isn't she? Orrrrrrrr," she puts her hands on both sides of my face and yanks my head to face her, "you like, don't you?"

"Uhmmmm," her hands still squeezing the sides of my head.

"Answer me!" She said forcefully while glaring at me.

"Whoa, chill out!"

"Oh sorry," the pressure on my face subsided as she lets go. "Soooo, do you?"

"I-uh don't know. Maybe... Why you so eager to know?"

"Nothing. I just thought of hooking you up with her, which I actually will, "just like that, her evil grin is back. "But admit it, she's pretty right?"

"Yeah." I was surprised by the tone in which I said that. I didn't mean to sound so confident with my answer but she is actually pretty.

"Good! You'll meet her tomorrow and I bet you soon enough you'll ask her out. I can feel it," she finishes by messing my chocolate brown hair. "OHMYGOSH! You two would be perfect."

"Uh-okay... How old is she?"

"Our age, seventeen."

'Same age as her.'

 "Do you mind telling me more about her? She seems like an interesting person."

At this point, I refuse to make eye contact with Carly; she's very suspicious right now. I keep stealing quick glances at her from the corner of my eye, noticing that her precarious eyes are glaring at me.

She breaks the silence, "indeed. She's out school's sweetheart. Pretty much every girl wants to be her friend and almost every guy, of course, wants to date her," she rolled her eyes at the last part. "Anyways, she's like sister. Her personality....hmmmm you'll have to figure that for yourself. If not all you would hear from me is that 'she's nice'"

I chuckled with her remark. "But she is nice though right?"

"Heck yeah! You'll meet her tomorrow don't worry."

"Tomorrow," I repeated nervously.

"Yeah. Her, Amy, George, and Ian," she explained as she pointed everyone out.

"Looks like someone's blushing," I finally made eye contact as I pinched her red cheeks.

She covers her face. "Shut up!"

"She looks like her.."

"Huh, who looks like who?" she asks while uncovering her face.

"Her," I pointed at Mariah picture, "she looks like someone I know."

"Oh right, you already said that. But oh well, people look like other people even if they are not related right?"

"That's true. Why don't we finish this so we can both rest. It's getting late," I added trying to change the subject.

After working on Carly's scrapbook, I decided to go back to my room. It was around 2:30 when we parted and now that it's five in the morning I still haven't slept since waking up few hours ago. Although now it is not because of the time difference; I still can't get over what I saw in Carly's room.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, I thought. Carly's probably right. They're probably few of those people who happen to look like each other. And I don't remember Jas or anyone in her family say that she has a sister. As far as I know, she's the only girl.

I sighed as I try to free my mind. After stumbling and turning on my bed for some time, I finally lost consciousness.

The sound of wheels on the hardwood floor on the other side of my door woke me up. I turned myself over so that I am now looking up at the ceiling. The clock reads 7:20 and at this point -back in Melbourne -either mom or Jake, my younger brother, would be knocking on my door to get me up for breakfast. But starting today, looks like I'm gunna have to do that on my own.

I made my way to the washroom; good thing I have my own and it's fairly close to my bed. As I splash cold my water to my face, the events last night started flashing back. Luckily, a knock on my bathroom door distracted my thoughts.

"Just a sec," I answered. I grabbed a towel and dried my face before opening the door. Kristen's standing by my side table with a picture frame on her hand. It is the one of mom and I, the only picture I brought with me.

"Hey, good morning."

"Morning," she greeted with a smile. "Is this your mom?"

"Yeah. I look nothing like her aye."

She nods," 'cause you look so much like dad," she added as she returned the frame back on the table.

"Kristen," dad peaks into my room, "you ready?"

"Yup!"

"We'll leave in five minutes. Hey, morning Seb."

"Morning, dad."

"Did you sleep well?"

'How I wish I did...'

"Uhhh, not quite."

He flashed me a grin but it quickly disappeared when he saw my mom's picture. Returning his attention to me, "oh by the way Lisa just dropped off your stuff a few minutes ago. They're on the kitchen counter."

"Oh okay. I'll get it later."

"And since Carly is still sleeping, here take this," he hands me a couple bucks. "Use that to get anything you need for this afternoon. You two have fun."

"Thanks and we will," I assured him.

"We'll be home in three days so just make sure that the house is still up til then."

"We will definitely try not to burn the house down, " dad chuckled. "You guys should go. I'll take care of Carly.

"Perfect! Let's go sweetie."

I stood by the front door as dad's car drove out of the cul-de-sac. As soon as they were out of sight, I closed the door behind me and headed to the kitchen. I picked up the cellphone on the counter, my new one. I scanned through the contact list; dad, Diane, Carly and Kristen's number are all listed. I added my mom's number and sent her a message.

"They let already," I heard Carly's sleepy voice ask.

"Yeah, just a while ago. By the way, dad said to use these to buy stuff for later." I explained as I hand her the money.

"Perfect. Well we should eat cause we have a long day ahead. We have to drop by dad's office to get your credit card, you keys and other stuff. Is that your school stuff?" she asked referring to the brown folder on the countertop.

"Uh-yeah. Looks like it."

Carly walked towards the fridge and read something on the door. "Hmmmm, they left us breakfast."

After eating, Carly and I got ready. Couple minutes of driving through downtown LA, her car is stopped in front of the entrance of one of the most popular hotels in the world: Red Roses. Not far from where we are, I can see the Red Roses restaurant. Well, what else do I not know about my dad? First off he's freaaaking rich; he lives in one of the richest neighbourhood in LA and he owns one of the finest first-class hotel and restaurant business.

"Good morning, Ms. Carly," one of the valets greeted as we stepped off the car.

"Morning Tom. You don't have to park it. We won’t' be long."

"Alright." he smiled.

"By the way, this is Seb, my brother."

"Good morning sir. Please to meet you."

"Likewise, Tom."

I can't help but smile knowing that Carly would actually go around telling people I'm her brother. I thought she'd hesitate about the matter but I was wrong.

It's chaos inside the hotel. People are literally running all over the place just to get customers settled. As we walk towards the elevators, some employees greeted us along the way.

"Before I forget," Carly states as we wait for the door to open, "these elevators will bring you to the executive floor. Those ones around the corner are to the rooms and the rooftop."

We got off the elevator and walked towards the Lisa's desk. We saw two people, a guy and a girl, talking to her. Lisa motioned something to them and they immediately turned to face us.

"Carly!" the blonde haired girl excitedly greeted her.

Oh boy.....

"Seb, this is...."

I freaked out when I felt someone's hands on my shoulder.

"Seb, this is Mariah," I can see that she's worried and it seems like she's been repeating the same line over and over again. I wasn't sure if it was Carly's voice that I heard a while ago or what...

"Hey," I smiled feeling my cheeks start to heat up, "nice to meet you."

'Wow, she's even prettier in person. Her hazel eyes are calm; her blonde hair falls perfectly over her shoulders and her smile....it's perfect!'

"Hi," she greeted back as she shook my hand. "Oh this is my brother, Brian." She added introducing me to the guy beside her. It took a while before she got his attention since him and Carly are having a "moment". Kinda like those in romantic movies when their eyes speak for themselves. Cheesy eh?

"Oh hey," he finally snapped out of it, "Ian would be fine."

I smirked at my sister seeing how red she is. Someone's in love, I thought.

"Carly!" another female voice called out.

"Good morning Lisa," Carly greeted.

"Morning! I'm guessing you're Seb," she said as she turned her attention to me.

"Mhhhhmm, morning!" I smiled willingly.

"Shall we?" she said motioning to follow her.

"Go ahead Seb. I'll wait for you here."

I followed Lisa as she walks in to a room that is apparently my dad's office. Before entering, I glanced at Mariah. 'God she looks exactly like her.'

_______________

Finally updated! The whole chapter's pretty much describing the new environment around Seb. I know, it may be boring but it will help set the mood later on so yeah..bear with me :)

Shoutout to @pokpokfolyfe! Just in time for your birthday oh and you better feel special coz I struggled to make this chapter longer :)

-787

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 4.1K 35
"So here I am, bawling my eyes out on my bed. I've got mascara streaming down my face, my eyes are red and puffy, I can't breathe, and it feels like...
110K 5.1K 52
Book 3 of 3 Highly recommend you read books 1 and 2 first. Mel just moved back to New York City. She left four years ago after the love of her life...
1.2K 327 45
If two people keep coming back to each other, does this mean it's true love? Elliot is from her past and when they meet again, the magnetic force bet...
987K 24.3K 55
❝ I should've listened to my heart. No matter how hard I've tried to push you away, everything leads back to you. My thoughts, the way my heart flutt...