From Prat to Husband, how the...

By Kili-Loverxx

Summary: When Merlyn first came to Camelot and had to be a maidservant and silent protector to the prat Princ... More

Cast
Moodboard
Merlyn
Prologue
Chapter One, Arthur Finds Out
Chapter Two, Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 1
Chapter Three, Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 2
Chapter Four,Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 3
Chapter Five, Meeting Kilgharrah
Chapter Six, Goblin's Gold Part 1
Chapter Seven, Goblin's Gold Part 2
Chapter Eight, Gaius the Goblin
Trailer
Chapter Nine, Capturing the Goblin
Chapter Ten, Day out gone wrong
Chapter Eleven, Gwaine
Chapter Twelve, Trouble Stirring
Chapter Thirteen, Gwaine to the Rescue
Chapter Fourteen, Gwaine is a What?
Chapter Fifteen, Earthen Magic
Chapter Sixteen, The Mele
Chapter Seventeen, Sir Gwaine, Knight of Camelot
Chapter Eighteen, The Valley of the Fallen Kings
Chapter Nineteen, The Crystal Cave
Chapter Twenty, The Damage of the Crystal
Chapter Twenty-One, Morgana's Birthday
Chapter Twenty-Two, Dangerous Waters
Chapter Twenty-Three, Eye of the Phoenix
Chapter Twenty-Four, Courage, Strength, Magic
Chapter Twenty-Five, The Fisher King
Chapter Twenty-Six, Water of Avalon
Chapter Twenty-Seven, Queen of Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Eight, Plans Gone Awry
Chapter Thirty, Another Stupid Tournament
Chapter Thirty-One, Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Nine, Dragra the Great

1.3K 46 12
By Kili-Loverxx

Chapter Twenty-Nine, Dragra the Great 

The next day Merlyn could barely stand to look out of the tiny window in her cell which showed the square as a pyre was being built for her execution. Despite George tending to Arthur that morning Gwaine headed straight to Arthur's chambers a scowl upon his rather pale face. 
"We need to find a way to smuggle Merlyn out of Camelot." Gwaine said with no preamble, striding to Arthur, who stood on the far side of the chamber, with purpose.
"My father has me under constant watch. And I will not endanger yours or her life like that." Arthur said sternly but sadly. "Besides, there are guards outside and below in the square. But, I can't watch her die, Gwaine. Why is Morgana doing this?" His voice broke as tears filled his eyes. Gwaine didn't have an answer for that.

***

"I thought you might be hungry." Gwen said, as she was allowed into Merlyn's cell.
"I can't even think of eating." Merlyn sighed. "How is Arthur? Will you - I mean you don't have to - but could you remember me." Merlyn rambled tearfully, bringing tears to Gwen's eyes.
"You're not going to die Merlyn. None of us will let it." Gwen said firmly, her voice breaking a little. "Arthur wants me to let you know that he will do everything he can to convince Uther that you're innocent, and that he won't stop until you're released." Gwen assured, as Merlyn turned away to hide her tears.

"You and I both know that Uther will not change his mind, Gwen." Merlyn said resigned. "When I am gone, will you take care of him for me, Gwen?" She choked with tears.
"You can't give up hope. There is still time." Gwen said, trying to remain optimistic.
"To do what?" Merlyn demanded.
"We need to find the person who really planted the poultice. Do you have any idea who it might have been?" Gwen asked desperately. "What is it?" She asked, when realisation crossed Merlyn's face.

Merlyn looked at the guards nervously before turning her back to them so they didn't know what she was saying.
"After I was sentenced to death, I was being led out. I looked back. I swear, Morgana was smiling. You probably think I'm mad." Merlyn said sadly but her tone was begging her friend to believe her.
"Of course not." Gwen whispered, as the guard returned as their time was up. "I don't doubt what you saw, at all."
"I can no longer trust her." Merlyn whispered hurriedly. "I've started to wonder if it wasn't a coincidence that Uther and Morgana found us in the woods. Be careful Gwen." Merlyn begged. Gwen nodded, hugged Merlyn, before she quickly left so the guard wouldn't get impatient.

***

"Morgana?" Gaius asked, shocked but not really surprised. Gwaine had just filled him in on everything Gwen had told him, and of Merlyn's plan as he paced the chamber. "But Uther will never believe gnat Morgana is responsible." Gaius stated.
"Perhaps Arthur will talk him round." Gwaine suggested, although as he said it, he wasn't all that confident in his statement.
"Uther thinks Arthur's enchanted. Anything that Arthur does is only going to strengthen that belief." Gaius countered. "I fear that's not going to save my sweet niece."

"If we can't expose the true Sorceress, then Merlyn had the idea that we must invent one." Gwaine informed him of the idea. Possibly a terrible one.
"What?" Gaius asked, confused but also curious.
"What if a Sorceress was caught planting an identical poultice in Arthur's chambers?" Gwaine winced at the plan, he didn't want his sister to go through with this, however, he hated the idea of her dying even more so. "Uther would have no choice but to release Merlyn."
"And who would be the Sorceress stupid enough to get caught doing such a thing?" Gaius questioned.

"Merlyn. She said if we create a decoy of her in the dungeons, then she can slip out and use an Ageing Spell." Gwaine replied, running to Merlyn's chambers with Gaius behind him to collect the things that Merlyn would need to create both spells. Merlyn had told him where she had hid all her magical belongings in this room. Looking up briefly he continued to explain Merlyn's plan.

"See, if she disguises herself, it won't matter if she's caught. Merlyn can use magic to escape and then change herself back. And she won't be leaving any of us." He explained, looking at te worried look on Gaius's face. "I don't like it either but I like her dying even less so."
"No matter how you disguise yourself, I fear Arthur will recognise you. And he won't be pleased." Gaius stated.

"Gaius, can you make a poultice identical to the one found in Arthur's chambers, please?"
"I believe so." Gaius muttered, not at all happy with this plan.
"Okay." Gwaine said, setting everything out for Merlyn before leaving to help Merlyn escape by causing a distraction, while Gaius left the room to make the poultice. Not twenty minutes later Merlyn arrived in her chambers, shrouded in an oversized cloak with Gwaine behind her. After giving  her uncle a brief hug, she headed to her room to get started. The sooner she started the sooner she could be pardoned and Morgana's plan thwarted.

Standing over a large, black iron bowl, Merlyn poured some blue powder into her hands as she started chanting; her eyes flaring gold.
"Miht dagena, bepecce me. Adeaglie bisne gast min freondum ond min freondum." As she completed the spell and poured the remaining powder into the bowl it caught alight in a purplish flame; completing the spell.

Meanwhile, in the main room there was a thick tense silence upon the air as Gaius made the identical poultice, and Gwaine paced around the room anxiously, while he silently prayed to the Old Religion to protect his sister and allow her ruse to work.
"Gwaine, calm down. I'm sure everything will work out just fine." Gaius assured, although he wasn't fully sure even he believed his own words.
As Gwaine went to open his mouth they heard the door open and slow footsteps coming down the small steps. Standing up they were both shocked at Merlyn's appearance. No longer did eighteen year old Merlyn stand before them. No, an eighty year old Merlyn in a white Healers dress and over robes (which Alice had left behind), with white hair in a braid stood before them. Looking completely unlike herself.

"Gwaine, Gaius, you both know me better than anyone. Would you recognise me?" Merlyn asked in a soft but slightly raspy voice. Gwaine and Gaius both peered very closely at the new Merlyn - or at old Merlyn - before speaking together.
"There's something of you, in the eyes."
"But perhaps it's because we know it's you." Gaius finished. Not having seen the final result Merlyn turned around to face the mirror and was astounded at what she saw.
"I can't believe one day I'll actually look like this." Merlyn gasped shocked. "Ooh." She gasped in pain, as pain resonated from practically everywhere.

"What is it?" Gwaine exclaimed alarmed, looking at his sister fearfully. "Gaius!"
"I'm okay, Gwaine. I just ache all over." Merlyn replied, grimacing in pain.
"Well, now you know how I feel." Gaius commented. "You'll be needing this." He added, handing over the poultice.
"Good luck, little bird." Gwaine wished, pulling her in for a tight comforting hug.

***

On Merlyn's way to Arthur's chambers - with the aid of the Shide staff - she almost ran into Arthur, Leon and Thomas who were standing outside Arthur's chambers talking; causing Merlyn to hide in an alcove. Once Leon and Thomas had left Merlyn walked towards the chambers knowing Arthur had seen her and was hesitantly approaching. Hearing Arthur enter, Merlyn stood over his bed with her back to him, poultice in hand chanting nonsense.

"Who are you? And what are you doing in, here?" Arthur demanded, hand hovering over his sword but he didn't draw it. Keeping his promise to himself and to Merlyn. Merlyn slowly turned around to face Arthur.
"I am... Dragra the Great." Merlyn informed.
"Wait... please don't tell me it's you, Merlyn." Arthur asked resignedly.
"I do not know this Merlyn, you speak of." Merlyn or rather Dragra said, leaning back as Arthur peered closer at her eyes. "You have caught me red handed." She continued, holding up the poultice.
"It is!" Arthur cried. "Merlyn, what the hell do you think you're doing?! How the hell did you escape?" He hissed. "Wait, Leon just told me you were laying on the bed with your back to the door."

Merlyn sighed. Sort of wishing Arthur didn't know about magic or Morgana, at least in this instant.
"How did you know it was me?" She asked slightly annoyed.
"Well, for starters, I know Morgana was behind the poultice, and I know about magic. Now, what the hell do you think you're doing?!" Arthur asked, annoyed.
"I'm trying to save my life." Merlyn hissed.
"What, by still jumping into the flames? I don't want that!" Arthur argued. "What about Gaius? Me? Gwaine? Your mother?"

"I'm not planning on leaving any of you. I would've escaped and turned back into myself." Merlyn explained exasperatedly.
"So, your brilliant plan was to get captured again, for me take you to my father who'd have you locked up, again and escape from a guarded cell?" Arthur demanded.
"No, I would've escaped before I was captured." Merlyn stated, rolling her eyes.

In the end Merlyn was able to convince Arthur to go along with it, albeit reluctantly, and they came up with a plan where Dragra had attacked Arthur, almost knocking him out, allowing Merlyn to escape and Arthur to call the guards. Running from Arthur's chambers Dragra hid in a small room, pulling the door to, as she cast the counter spell.
"Edniwe min geoguo!" Dragra enchanted, her eyes glowing gold but her magic chose that time to play up acting in her emotions that still raged within her and were unaffected by the spell. "No." Dragra gasped, when she still saw her white hair bound in its braid.
"She went this way!" Arthur shouted, causing Dragra to take off running, panting with exertion.

Gaining some ground ahead of them Dragra hid in an alcove by a window and tried the spell again; only for it to fail once more. Dragra exclaimed in frustration as she could hear the pounding feet of Arthur and the two guards quickly gaining on her as their feet slapped hard on the flagstone floor. Looking out she gasped when they came into sight.
"There she is." Arthur shouted, he hated he had to capture the love of his life, it was like the Council Chambers all over again; as he reluctantly threw a dagger to pin her long sleeve to the wooden door as she tried to escape. "Seize her." He ordered.

Arthur could only watch on helplessly as Merlyn tried to pull the dagger free as the guards wrapped their arms around Merlyn's restraining her as they headed back towards the Council chambers. Unbeknownst to the guards Arthur sent Merlyn an apologetic look. Hating what he was about to do; Arthur announced his presence to his father and therefore the entire Council.
"Father."
"Arthur." Uther returned, barely glancing at him. "Who is this?" He asked, finally looking up from the documents in his hands.

"She is the Sorceress. I found her placing this under my pillow." Arthur informed, handing Uther the poultice. Out of the corner of their eyes Arthur and Merlyn could see Morgana watching raptly but looking startled.
"Is this true?" Uther asked Dragra.
"Yes." Dragra replied.
"What did you hope to achieve with this enchantment?" Uther asked.
"If Prince Arthur were to fall in love and abdicate the throne for a lowly serving girl it would bring strife and shame to Camelot." Dragra informed.

"Have I wronged you in some way, old woman?" Uther asked.
"You have wronged so many people in so many ways. You're blinded by your hatred of magic. You have tortured and executed innocent people. You, Uther Pendragon, are a stupid, arrogant, old tyrant!" Dragra shouted, walking closer to the table as she let out all of the pent up rage she's felt for the past few years. Arthur, who was shocked at how much rage Merlyn had towards his father - not that he could blame her- but she was always so kind, gently grabbed her arm.

"You will hold your tongue." Arthur ordered, playing the part.
"And you." Dragra snarled. "Oh, I've heard how you hardly ever stand up for what's right! You're a spoiled arrogant brat!"
"The serving girl, is she your accomplice?" Uther asked, once the guards had grabbed Dragra and she'd stopped shouting.
"No, I enchanted her too. The girl is entirely innocent."
"Release the girl." Uther said reluctantly. "Tomorrow at dawn, you will take her place on the pyre. Take her away."

As Dragra was taken away Morgana and Gaius followed them out of the Council Chambers.
"Do you know that woman, Gaius?" Morgana asked.
"I've never seen her before." Gaius replied. "Why? Is something troubling you, Morgana? I would have thought you'd be relieved that the true culprit has been found."
"Of course I am." Morgana said unconvincingly.

Once Dragra was in her cell she couldn't help but release a few tears as she had a clear view of the pyre through the small window. After Gaius left Morgana he had the job of filling Gwaine in on what had happened, who naturally threw a fit, screaming and ranting when the door suddenly opened and in stepped Arthur.

"Gaius, what happened? Please , there must be something we can do? I won't let Merlyn die." Arthur begged, looking from Gaius to Gwaine who both looked close to tears much like himself.
"Im afraid I have no clue as to what happened. But I intend to find out." Gaius said as he left.

***

Entering the dungeons Gaius made a beeline for Merlyn (Dragra)'s cell.
"Merlyn, what happened?" Gaius asked in a whisper.
"I can't break the spell, Gaius." Merlyn said, upset. "You were right about my hormones."
"You will have to try again." Gaius urged desperately.
"I've tried, and I've tried, and I've tried."
"Please try again. Uther will have you burned at the stake."

"There must be another way to break the spell." Dragra asked.
"There's only one thing I can think of."
"What is it?" She asked desperately.
"In the book of Galah, there's an antidote that can undo such Ageing spells." Gaius explained.
"How long will it take to make this antidote?" Dragra asked, a pit in her stomach.
"Longer than I fear you have. Try to buy yourself some time and I'll ask Arthur to do the same." Gaius replied, trying to offer some reassurance before he hurried off back to his chambers.

After a quick explanation while he got Gwaine and Arthur to get the things he needed; Gwaine and Gaius worked tirelessly through the night to make the potion.
Finally, as the sun rose the potion was at the correct colour blue that it needed to be. Rushing out of the chambers they headed towards the dungeons, only they were too late as Arthur and some guards were leading her towards the square.
"Gaius!" Gwaine exclaimed, fearing he was about to lose his little sister.
"Don't worry. We'll have to improvise. Hurry, now." Gaius ordered, as they ran towards the square pushing their way through to hear the front so Merlyn would be able to see them.

As Uther was giving his speech Dragra turned back to look behind her and spotted Gwaine and Gaius.
'I love you little sister." Gwaine mouthed, tears pouring down his face. (Another crystal vision).
'I love you too big brother." Merlyn mouthed back, she then turned her attention to Gaius who patted his clasped hands signalling to her that he had the potion. Taking her chance she ran towards Gaius subtly taking the potion while the villagers screamed.
"A curse upon you all! I will have my revenge!" She shouted, looking directly up at Uther as guards caught her again.
"Are you all right, Gaius?" Arthur asked.
"I'm fine Arthur." Gaius assured, the Crown Prince nodded and looked to his friend.
"I'm fine." Gwaine assured.

As Dragra was being led towards the pyre, she cast a spell causing the pure to explode in a massive ball of fire causing everyone to dive back.
"Intend lieg, intend lieg!" Dragra enchanted, and while everyone was distracted she escaped running into the Castle and into an alcove where she could drink the potion, and change back into herself. Smiling happily she headed towards her chambers where she changed back into her white and navy dress.

Hearing the door open she smiled and stepped out from behind the screen.
"Arthur!" Merlyn called happily, running towards him.
"Merlyn!" Arthur exclaimed, overjoyed to see the love of his life like old or younger self and in one piece. Not wanting to let her go Arthur wrapped his arms around and kissed her passionately. "I was terrified I'd lose you." Arthur whispered, when they parted, their heads against each other.

"I will never leave you, my love." Merlyn assured, her cerulean eyes darkening. "Though I can make it up to you." She said, looking up through her sooty lashes causing Arthur to groan.
"You, my love, are a minx." Arthur growled, kissing her passionately and full of the fear, loss and lust he'd felt. Kicking the door closed and locking it, Arthur picked Merlyn up and carried her to her bed where they spent the day reacquainting themselves with each other and their bodies.

————————————————————————

Spell translations:

* Spell: Miht dagena, bepecce me. Adeaglie bisne gast min freondum ond min feondum.
Literal translation: Power/might of days, cover/protect/conceal me. Fails/decays/dies/destroys/ becomes torpid and callous this breath/soul/spirit/life to my friends and enemies.
Possible meaning: Power of the days, conceal me. This spirit becomes torpid and callous to my friends and enemies.

* Spell: Edniwe min geoguo!
Literal translation: Renew/make new/restore my youth.
Possible meaning: Restore my youth!

* Spell: Intend lieg, intend lieg!
Literal translation: Persecutor/attacking/pursuing flame/lightning, persecutor/attacking/pursuing flame/lightning.
Possible meaning: Fire, attack! Fire, attack!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 700 11
"Merlin has-" The ghost of Uther Pendragon has told Arthur that Merlin has magic. Arthur struggles to deal with it, until he's forced to once Camelo...
1.8M 56.6K 99
No young man or woman, no matter how great, can know their destiny. They cannot glimpse their part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like e...
165K 6.6K 27
A Merthur fic set in canon era. After two years of putting up with his useless excuse for a manservant, Arthur begins to suspect that there may be mo...
82.5K 3K 21
Freya lives the attack, only just. But when she dies giving birth, Merlin's Son is born just before the Tears of Uther Pendragon, what will Merlin do...