Honor Thy Brother|Band of Bro...

By elenadrake

Jamie Jacobi aka JJ and Margaret Valentine aka Peggy are two women who experienced two different worlds, whil... More

๐˜๐˜–๐˜•๐˜–๐˜™ ๐˜›๐˜๐˜  ๐˜‰๐˜™๐˜–๐˜›๐˜๐˜Œ๐˜™.
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.

Chapter Fourteen.

140 5 2
By elenadrake

[A/N: I'd like to thank phoebewatton on Wattpad for all the love and support for this fanfic! i really appreciate it and you guys should go check out her bob story: my sunshine girl on Wattpad!]

Jamie flipped through her little notebook of medic notes from Toccoa as she rested back against Skip's side. Peggy sat next to Malarkey and Alex, Blithe and More were also with the four resting outside, Jamie's gaze flickering over to Blithe every couple of minutes, the man in question was lying on the ground and resting after his stressful ordeal today. "Do you guys have any food? I'm starving, I've barely had time to eat." Jamie commented offhandedly.

"I think we all are, JJ." Peggy replied, Skip moving and putting his arm around his friend who was distracted by her notebook.

"Why do you still have that thing?" Skip asked with a small frown.

"Makes sure I keep my mind fresh of everything." Jamie shrugged, Skip moved to say more but Malarkey spoke up and interrupted his friend, looking at Jamie.

"I got some Kraut rations. Want any of them?" Malarkey offered Jamie who shook her head and turned her nose up at it, Peggy snickered quietly knowing the woman made a good choice. Even before the war, she wasn't fond of german cheese. "Suit yourself, guess these Kraut rations are all mine." He shrugged, Jamie and Peggy shared a glance at the mention of the derogatory name for the Germans. She didn't use it, Jamie didn't use it, just like they didn't call Japanese Japs. Peggy had been called the g-slur before as a Romani descended woman and well Jamie...she'd had plenty of things hurled at her.

"Okay, but back to what I was saying." More cut in, continuing the conversation that had ensued before Jamie and Peggy had found their way over to them. "We're gonna be in Berlin by Christmas." He swore, Peggy holding back a scoff while Jamie merely raised an eyebrow in doubt. Things were never that easy.

"Oh, god!" Skip suddenly cried out in disgust before anyone could reply to More. Peggy and Jamie looked at him confused before noticing the man was eating something. "This Kraut cheese tastes like...it stinks!" He exclaims disgusted, Jamie snorting while Peggy shook her head.

"You could've asked me and I could've told you it wasn't worth it." Peggy grinned bemusedly.

"The bread's stale too." Alex piped up.

"Gimme that." Skip demanded, snatching the bread from his friends. Peggy and Jamie exchanging a look and rolling their eyes. Peggy didn't like the food but it wasn't that bad.

"It's not that bad you two." Peggy scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Well, I'm not trying them to confirm that. Are you sure those rations aren't expired?" Jamie asked, raising an eyebrow. Alex and Skip paused and looked at each other, seeming to consider Jamie's point.

However, before either man could reply or saying anything to Jamie, the voice of Speirs spoke up. "Enjoy it while it lasts. We'll be moving out soon." He tells them firmly, the man hovering over them.

"Out of town already, Lieutenant? Already?" More inquires.

"I'm pretty sure he just said that," Peggy commented, More rolling his eyes at her.

"That's right." Speirs nodded, looking at each of them, his gaze lingering on his friend and Peggy a little longer (considering he was much more acquainted with the two women than the others). Peggy just shot the man a smirk, she knew they were going to head out soon, obviously. She and Nixon just about knew everything. Though Jamie refrained from scoffing when she felt the tension from the others, Speirs was not a terrible person, she'd know him for years and she believed the rumors to be rumors. The eyes of the others were glued on Speirs as he went down the steps that the group was sitting on.

"Thank you so much, Ron. We appreciate what we probably already assumed." Jamie called out dryly to her friend who glanced back, his lips twitching in amusement.

"I would've told you all, command told myself and Dick." Peggy hummed, checking her fingernails when the others glanced at her for confirmation.

"Don't they know we're just getting settled here?" More felt the need to open his big mouth. They looked at More in disbelief and Peggy shoots him a sharp look as Speirs slowly just looked back at him but said nothing before walking away.

"I cannot believe you fucking said that, More." Jamie shook her head, glancing at Peggy who wore a disapproving frown.

"Nice, Groucho." Skip told More.

"What?" More frowned confused.

"Real smart." Skip stated before continuing. "Taking your life in your own hands. Ain't that right?" He asked, his last sentence directed at Malarkey which confused the two women. Peggy and Jamie looking at their friend questioningly, what was Skip talking about?

"I told you, I didn't actually see it." Malarkey countered his best friend.

"See what exactly, Don?" Jamie questioned, Peggy and Jamie looking at each other for a moment.

"Don, what did you see and what did you say?" Peggy sighed and asked, the last thing Jamie needed was rumors swirling around her childhood friend. It could lead to things. Peggy already had gotten incredibly pissed when rumors swirled that Jamie and Speirs had intimate relations. It was very obvious they treated each other as siblings. The woman had to go to Dick and Welsh when they came up to help her resolve it (she also heard Joe heard the rumor and wasn't pleased to hear people making rumors about Jamie like that, she wasn't surprised about that). However, she was thankful none of easy had contributed to that rumor.

"Are you talking about Speirs shooting the prisoners or the sergeant in his own platoon?" the voice snapped Peggy out of her thoughts and she looked at them, a scowl on Jamie's face at their words.

"Sergeant?" More gaped in disbelief.

"What? I didn't hear about that one?" Skip uttered with surprise.

"Wait, wait. He shot one of his own guys?" Don repeated.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Jamie snapped angrily, Peggy pinching the bridge of her nose. She could see Blithe glance at Jamie concerned. This was hotheaded Jamie right here, but also protective of her friend.

"What prisoners thing? What are you talking about, Alex?" Peggy demanded with a frown.

"Well, with the sergeant, he was apparently drunk and refused to go on patrol. Who knows if that's true." Alex shrugged, completely unaware of Jamie's tone in her words. "You're telling me, you don't know, Peggy?" He asked her, completely surprised that one of their intelligence officers didn't know.

"My job is intelligence on the enemy, not us, dipshit." Peggy deadpanned, Alex looked mildly offended at what Peggy called him but said nothing.

"Well, I know a guy..." Skip began to drawl out, throwing a piece of stale bread at Malarkey who flinched, yelling out an offended hey and was completely oblivious to the increasingly angry Jamie next to him. "...who said that an eye witness told him that Speirs hosed those prisoners."

"Why?" Blithe's voice broke through and asked. "What for?"

"On D-Day." Skip started his 'story' for them and Peggy looked at Jamie who's fist was clenched. "Speirs comes across this group of Kraut prisoners. Digging a hole, or some such. Under guard and all, he breaks out a pack of smokes, passes them out; even gives them a light. Then all of a sudden, he swings up his Thompson and-" He tells them before imitating a rifle going off repeatedly. "He hoses them." There was silence between the group and Peggy kept an eye on Jamie, it was obvious the medic was trying to hold back because Skip, More, Malarkey, and Alex were her friends too. Just as much as Speirs.

"Smokes? Speirs gave them smokes first?" Peggy questioned them, not believing it for a moment.

"Mmm, you see, that's why I don't believe he really did it." Skip commented, nodding to Peggy after she spoke.

"Oh, you don't believe it?" Malarkey retorted.

"Whoa, whoa. I heard that he didn't do it." Alex piped up.

"That's a beautiful story, boys, but it's all based on hearsay." Peggy rolled her eyes, crossing her arms again.

"Oh, no, no, it was him alright." More agreed with Skip. "But it wasn't eight guys. More like twenty." He countered when everyone jumped at the sound of Jamie slamming her notebook shut. Peggy winced knowing Jamie had enough.

"Actually, no! You don't know if he did it because you don't know him!" Jamie nearly shouted, jumping to her feet and looking down at the others (minus Peggy and Blithe) accusingly. "You're just spreading bullshit rumors again! I know Ron! He wouldn't do something like that, not unless he was ordered to! Until you've known Ron since you were a child, you don't know what you're talking about! So please shut your fuck mouths about him!" She yelled at them angrily before turning and storming off in the direction of the aid station, Peggy sighing and pinching the bridge of her nose while the others said nothing.

"Shit..." Skip winced with a grimace.

"Good job, boys." Peggy breathed sarcastically.

"You're spreading rumors about Lieutenant Speirs shooting those..." Blithe started to say but trailed off, Skip being the one to finally speak up about the previous conversation again.

"Hell of one shot." Skip whistled, putting his cigarette back in his mouth.

"All except one guy, who he left one." More added, laying back and closing his eyes, basking in the sunlight.

"Well all I know, from what I've heard, he took that last one-oh-five on D-Day, practically by himself." Alex spoke up, Peggy nodding at that. That she could confirm as she, Dick, Malarkey, and Buck had witnessed that themselves. "Running through MG fire like a maniac."

"Now that I did see." Malarkey nodded and confirmed.

"On his own?" More asked shocked.

"Yep," Malarkey replied.

"I don't care if any of the other stuff is true," Alex commented offhandedly.

"A lot of people do though, remember that." Peggy spoke up softly, the others pausing and knowing she was referring to Jamie.

"Yeah, we know...should we apologize?" Skip asked the woman who gave him a look, it was obvious, yes they would have to. Considering they had in essence hurt Jamie's feelings. "Hey, Albert!" He moved and looked back at Blithe.

"What do you think?" More questioned him.

"I don't know." Blithe answered with a shrug. "I'm gonna have to take everybody's word for it. I didn't see it." He tells them when Peggy could hear Welsh and another person yelling for everyone to pack up and move out. Peggy sighed but knew Jamie was with Eugene and would find them later when she wanted to. The woman and the others except Blithe started packing their gear up.

"That means you, Private Blithe!"

"Come on, Blithe, get up." More told him, Peggy nudging the man gently and standing up.

"I'll see you four later, behave and watch your mouths, please." Peggy tells them, they nodded and she moves to turn. "Apologize to JJ, as soon as possible, boys. You hurt her feelings, Speirs is her friend and like family. Don't do it for him, but because you love her and she's your friend." She paused and told them, Skip, Alex, More, and Malarkey shared a look before nodding again. The woman nodded content before walking off to find George.

-8-

"Do you think she's going to forgive them?" George asked Peggy hushedly while they walked away from Carentan, heading in the direction of where their new post would be. The hot sun beaming down on the platoons of Easy Company while they walked through the open field. Peggy and Jamie were glad there was a small breeze but that really didn't save them from the sweat beating down their backs. Everyone was basically sweating to death at this point. Peggy glanced at George before looking back and spotting Jamie speaking quietly with Joe, showing him things in her notebook.

The interaction made Peggy smile slightly, as much as they loved Easy company, not a lot of them except those who were actually medics and Peggy took an interest when Jamie would talk about medicine. But according to Jamie, she told Peggy that she told Joe about the whip stitch she did for Liptons face wound and how only surgeons did it. Since then besides herself, Joe was a good enough friend to actually be interested in what Jamie said about medicine. Peggy cleared her throat and looked back at George who looked at her. "I mean, I think she will. It's Skip, Alex, More, and Don. They're idiots and she'll hold it against them in the future if they do something stupid, but she can't be mad forever. Hell, it was harder than she thought for her to pretend to be upset with Liebgott after the ship incident." He pointed out and Peggy nodded.

"You're right, I agree with you, completely. It's JJ...she'll forgive them, especially if they apologize." Peggy nodded in agreement. "But they'll just have to wait until we're at our next resting point." She adds with a small shrug, they were on the move, probably going to be in another fight soon. Now wasn't the time to go apologize, even if they worried a mad Jamie would neglect them if they were injured, which she would never do that.

The woman gave him a small smile that he returned and George observed Peggy closely, however, when she looked at him, he quickly looked away before he opted to change the subject. "So, I heard Frank talk about your sniper's nest and Welsh talked about your shooting skills in Carentan," George commented offhandedly and Peggy let out a soft chuckle at that.

"It had been a while since I had to take down someone like that or stuck in a sniper's nest," Peggy replied with a small smile on her face. "I only did it though because Shifty was on the ground and could use his rifle down there while I was above." She explained shortly, looking ahead while George watched and listened.

"I think I heard Lieutenant Winters and Nixon say something to Welsh along the lines of 'if she hadn't been up there taking them out from above, Harry, you'd be dead.'" George smirked at Peggy who grinned and let out a small laugh of amusement at that. She shook her head but was still grinning at that. Peggy didn't know if they actually said that to Welsh or not. "I also heard you fell down some stairs." He casually mentioned, Peggy looking at him and raising an eyebrow.

"Eugene, Dick, or Buck say that?" Peggy questioned curiously.

"I never reveal who my source is." the man grinned widely and Peggy laughed slightly, raising an eyebrow at him. "It was Buck and Doc." He revealed to her with a chuckle.

"I thought you don't reveal your sources?" Peggy teased him with a smile.

"Ah, but you have special privileges." George held up his hand and gave her a goofy grin. "For you, I'll reveal my sources, Maggie." He tells her and Peggy laughs again while shaking her head.

"I appreciate that George, thank you very much." She replies while still laughing lightly. There was a small silence before Peggy let out a small sigh and looked at George. "I'm sorry by the way." Peggy suddenly apologizes which makes George look at her with a frown. "I haven't talked to you much recently, I'm sorry. You're my friend, George." She clarifies when she spots the confused frown on his face and George shakes his head firmly.

"Maggie, you don't need to apologize." George refuses, making it clear to the woman and his friend she had nothing to apologize about. "You're not only an intelligence officer but a Lieutenant. You've got a lot on your plate, you help Winters a lot so that adds to it. Things happen and sometimes we don't get to talk as much, that's okay. I can talk to JJ or Skip or Don." He tells her with a small shrug, Peggy snorting at the mention of Jamie who loved George dearly but could get tired out by his constant rambling.

"Dick, Lewis, and Harry shouldn't take up so much of my time. I enjoy being around them but I do prefer being with you all sometimes." Peggy explained with a small smile while she walked next to George. "Especially you, you make things a lot better." She admits, George says nothing at that but smiles widely at that. "Either way, if we get a rest in England I will not be spending as much time with them, as much as I adore them. I adore you...all as well. You're my friends." Peggy adds and George nods, reaching over and squeezing his friend's hand.

"Thanks, Maggie, makes me feel super special." George jokes which makes the woman chuckle.

"Oh, anytime, just ask, dragoste." Peggy retorts with a grin, the two share smiles, but George frowns curiously at her foreign word she spoke before they continue on in silence. Peggy always enjoyed talking with George, he always made the conversation better, and time past and it was just nice to talk to him. But she was right when she said, she missed spending more of her time with Jamie, George, and the other enlisted. Though time went on longer, they continued through the open field and rain began to pour down upon them, Jamie and Peggy glanced over when they saw Frank peering in the foliage to his right.

"Hey, Luz? How far are we going?" He asked his friend.

"Oh, Jesus Christ, Frank, I don't know." George huffed with a groan, Peggy shaking her head and Jamie rolling her eyes at Frank's question. "Until they tell us to stop."

"High ground." Hoobler cut in and informed them, though Peggy was already aware of this. "There's high ground up ahead." He added, glancing over at Peggy who offered her friend a nod to confirm his words.

"Okay, genius, answer me this then..." Frank rolled his eyes, his tone slightly sardonic as he spoke. "...why is Easy Company the only company who's either at the front of an advance or, like now, exposed at the far edge of the line?" He questioned Hoobler, Peggy sighing and shaking her head while Jamie stepped forward and looked at Frank, moving away from Joe.

"Because they obviously love us and want to show us special attention, Frank. Why else would we be here?" Jamie asked sarcastically before pausing in thought. "Oh, right. Because we've succeeded quite well as a company recently and they want the best ahead, genius." She snaps with a roll of her eyes and Joe snorts while Peggy chuckles. Some of the others nearby coughed to cover their laughs or just openly laughed.

"You show no mercy," Joe muttered bemused to Jamie when she fell back in line with him, the woman just shrugging and smirking.

"She's got a point, you know that, right? We've succeeded quite well recently." Peggy commented, but Hoobler spoke up with an answer similarly plausible to Peggy's, more than Jamie's sarcastic response.

"To keep you on your toes."

"No, that's not what I'm saying." Frank shook his head, Peggy pursed her lips and Jamie groaned in annoyance. What the hell kind of answer did he need that they already didn't give? "I'm saying that we're never in the middle. And we're the fifth of nine companies of this regiment. Able through Item. Think of it." He explained which made Peggy and Jamie share annoyed looks.

"I think you shouldn't be the one doing the thinking, Frank." Peggy dryly said, George coughed and started laughing while Jamie grinned widely at Peggy.

"What she said. Think about it, genius." Jamie jabbed her thumb in the direction of Peggy. Hoobler smiled and shook his head at his friends, moving to speak and give his own answer, however, before Hoobler could even utter a word to Frank gunshots rang out. "Shit!" She spluttered out a curse, everyone dropping to the ground while explosions flew overhead.

"Contact right!" Welsh barked, turning to his platoon.

"Fucking Christ! We need to move to cover, Harry! We're sitting ducks!" Peggy boomed out to her fellow Lieutenant when he appeared. Welsh obviously knowing the woman was right and looked at them all hurriedly.

"Get in the hedgerow!" He ordered them all, Jamie and Peggy quickly jumped to their feet with the rest of them. Everyone hurried to the cover in the trees and bushes, Peggy swinging out her sniper and aiming for targets. Though the minute Jamie made it to the hedgerow that was when it started, the shouts, those shouts of medic for her, Eugene, and Spina.

"MEDIC!" the shouts came from left to right, Spina, Jamie, and Eugene began rushing around to aid who they could and as usual much to Jamie's dismay there was always one or two men they'd have to decide if it was worth it or not to save. She hated that, it always frustrated her. However, they could do so much as anytime someone stuck even a finger out of the hedgerow the Germans shot at them. So, for the meantime and much to Peggy and Jamie's dismay, they were stuck here and as for now, there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it, yet.

-8-

The rain and the Germans singing across the way from them was not only tiring to Jamie and Peggy but to everyone. All of Easy was growing tired of just sitting and camping out in their foxholes, they'd prefer to be moving right now. Jamie wasn't even in the same foxhole as Peggy much to her disappointment, but she jumped to the closest one with Joe. Though she didn't mind sharing a foxhole with Joe. "I'm surprised you're not with Peggy in a foxhole." Joe said hushedly, Jamie grimacing when some rain splattered her face.

"Peggy's been secluded to a foxhole with Welsh, George wasn't happy about that. He was hoping to share one with her I think." Jamie replied, the two chuckling when she spoke about George. "Plus I'm fine here, sticking with you. Doesn't bother or hurt me." She shrugged, wrapping her arms tighter around herself to shield her body from the rain.

"You look like a wet dog," Joe observed her, Jamie rolling her eyes but wearing a bemused smile.

"You look fantastic too." She quipped back, Joe let out a small laugh and shook his head. "You pass a compliment, you will receive one." Jamie merely said with a small shrug.

"Yeah, I know. I know how you work, Harriet." He chuckled, the man looked at Jamie before grinning. "Well, at least I'm mostly dry compared to you." Joe quipped and Jamie jokingly hit his arm.

"Thank god! I was worried about you being dry...all...day." Jamie said sarcastically and Joe grinned even wider with amusement at her sarcasm. He could always count on an interesting conversation when it came to Jamie, that's for sure. "Yeah, thanks for helping me keep dry, Joe. It's not like I'm responsible for saving your ass if you get wounded." She reminded him with a grin, Joe just shot her a wink and she shook her head at her friend.

"I mean I can help, I can also help you with your makeup," Joe smirks and Jamie frowns confused when Joe suddenly slaps some mud on the side of her cheek.

"Aww, come on! Joe! That's a foul!" Jamie groaned, using her sleeve to wipe away the dirt on her face. Joe just laughed and Jamie shot him a glare in response. "Verdammtes arschloch, das ihn für lustig hält Ich hole ihn zurück." She muttered to herself in German, but that just made Joe's smirk widen.

"Ich glaube, du hast vergessen, ich kann auch Deutsch, süße Harriet." Joe replied in German, Jamie tensing and cursing to herself. Sometimes she forgot he spoke German too. Joe laughed quietly in amusement that she was caught. However, she paused and smiled slightly which made Joe raise an eyebrow when he noticed.

"Sweet Harriet? When did that start, Joe?" Jamie teased him and Joe paused now, whispering to himself. He probably shouldn't have said that part. "It's okay, I think its cute, that you think I'm sweet..." She added with a hum, Joe's face going pink that he was caught now and rolling his eyes at her, he was thankful for the darkness that surrounded them. "...Liebling." Jamie purposely jested with Joe who narrowed his eyes. "You know, I think I'll call you that for the rest of the war. What about you?" She asked with a cheshire grin on her face.

"Schatzi." Joe suddenly said with a smirk, Jamie going silent at that and pursing her lips in thought while Joe waited smugly.

"Little treasure? My father calls my mother that." She raises an eyebrow before chuckling, Joe pauses at that but makes no remark about her mention. "Okay, fine, I guess that'll be our nicknames for the war, liebling." Jamie couldn't help but grin again and Joe continued smirking.

"I believe so, schatzi." Joe retorted and Jamie laughed bemused. Meanwhile, Peggy found herself with Welsh, crawling over to where she could barely see Martin and Blithe tucked away in their foxhole. The bushes rustled when Peggy and Welsh moved which alerted both Martin and Blithe to a presence, their presence. Welsh crashed through the foliage while Peggy rolled her eyes and followed after him, she had to be thankful he wasn't ever in the intelligence sector and required once or twice to go undercover. He'd fail that.

"Flash!" was shouted at the same time by the two in the foxhole, Welsh and Peggy finally coming into view of the two.

"Thunder." Welsh breathed, smiling knowingly while Peggy sighed. Peggy ignoring the singing of the germans that had broken through the thunder. "Catchy tune, ain't it?"

"Harry, you have that agility and stealthiness of an elephant crashing through the forest." Peggy hissed with a huff from where she was sitting next to Welsh. The man just grinned and shrugged bashfully, jokingly putting an arm around her shoulder. "I don't know how Kitty deals with you." She muttered to herself, referring to the man's fiancée Catherine "Kitty" Grogan. Welsh talked about her the same way Skip talked about Faye, it was precious but still...god knows how that woman deals with him.

"I can always send you to Perconte, Muck, or Penkala. Even though you'd probably prefer to be with Luz or Jacobi." Welsh quipped and Peggy just rolled her eyes at her friend, knowing he wouldn't do that.

"Hey, Lieutenant's, what's the news?" Martin asks them, settling back down in the foxhole with his rifle in his lap.

"Oh, same as it was this afternoon. They're in their hedgerow, we're in ours." Welsh shrugged, Peggy seeing the expression of boredom plastered on his face which made her sighed. Yeah, he'd be a terrible intelligence officer. Martin nodded and Peggy looked at both of them.

"Except they grace us with their wonderful song in theirs," Peggy said sarcastically, Martin and Welsh chuckling lowly.

"Spell me a minute, sir?" Martin requested, his words pointed at Welsh.

"Are you gonna let Blithe get some sack time?" Welsh questioned, sharing a knowing look with Peggy. He was just as aware as Peggy of what happened with Blithe back in Carentan and his short stay in the aid station. Welsh was just as worried as Peggy was.

"My back teeth are floating," Martin stated.

"Good for you, we're all cold, John." Peggy retorted, Martin rolling his eyes at her.

"Get back here ASAP, Martin." Welsh bluntly said this time, Peggy clearing her throat but her lips twitching into a smirk.

"You can count on me, sir." Martin nodded before moving and leaving the foxhole, Peggy and Welsh moving and getting into the foxhole with the silent Blithe.

"How you doing, Blithe?" Welsh was the first to ask the man after pulling out his canteen.

"I'm okay, sir." Blithe replied quietly.

"Will you try to get some sleep while John is gone?" Peggy calmly asked him from where she sat to Blithe's left. Blithe shifted slightly but looked at the concerned Peggy.

"I can, ma'am, but...I think it'll be hard with the rain." Blithe admitted and Peggy nodded understandingly.

"What happened at the aid station today? Peggy said she was there." Welsh suddenly asked the man, offering his canteen to Peggy who gave him a dry look. Water was not in that canteen.

"I don't drink on the job, Harry." She pushed the canteen away and Welsh shrugged before drinking from it. "Pijany słoń," Peggy mumbled to herself in polish.

"Doc Roe and Corporal Jacobi, they...called it hysterical blindness." Blithe revealed to Welsh, the man glancing at Peggy for a second. The woman's nod confirming what Blithe said was right. She'd heard Jamie say it herself. Welsh turned and offered his canteen to Blithe now who shook his head. "No, thank you, sir."

"You know what they said in basic: dehydration's a soldier's worst enemy." Welsh reminded the man, Blithe took the canteen and grimaced when he took a sip. "It's a game, Blithe. That's all." He shook his head, Peggy going silent and choosing to pick at the dirt beneath her fingernails. "Hell, we're just moving the ball forward one yard at a time. Nothing but a game...she knows this." Welsh nodded to Peggy who looked at him.

"Very much. It's just how it works sadly, if you're not in charge, you can't change it." Peggy hummed, pushing some of the dirt with her boot while she spoke. "Just a game after a game..."

"What is, sir?" Blithe asked them both.

"This. The whole thing." Welsh clarified and offered his canteen once more to Blithe who shook his head and muttered a 'no thank you.' "Just a game." He muttered, taking another swig.

"Well aren't you depressing today, Henry." Peggy commented dryly, the man shrugging.

"Harry? Margaret?" the voice of Winters broke through, the three looking up to see Winters standing above them. Welsh left his canteen with Blithe as he and Peggy stood up. Winters offering a hand to Peggy as she climbed out of the foxhole, she took it and she and Welsh stood in front of Winters. "S2 said the Germans only left a company to defend Carentan." Welsh and Peggy sharing a look at the news, of course, they did.

"Lewis and I probably would've learned this a week from now." She sarcastically spoke, Winters shaking his head at her.

"The rest pulled out sometime last night," Winter added.

"I knew that town was too easy," Welsh remarked, Peggy humming in agreement.

"It was, it was a lot easier than getting those guns," Peggy stated, crossing her arms.

"Yeah." Winters breathed, the three turning and beginning to walk away from Blithe and Martin's foxhole. "They regrouped south of town. May have been on their way to a counterattack when we ran into 'em here. Strength unknown." He informed the platoon leader and intelligence officer.

"Ran into them? Ha, you don't say." Peggy snorted, Welsh humming in agreement. The three paused for a moment, however, when they heard gunshots in the distance.

"They want the town back," Winters tells them. "And we're in their way."

"And I'd like Romania and Poland back and free for the Romani, Dick. But that's going to be hard." Peggy merely replied, the two men glancing at her and knowing why she said it like that. She was acutely aware that just like jews, Romani people were being persecuted and outlawed by the Nazi's too, everywhere.

"If they don't come before then, we're attacking at first light, 0530." Winters reveals to them, Peggy and Welsh nodding. She didn't command anyone, but considering Peggy spent most of her time with the enlisted in the platoons (mainly the first platoon with Welsh), she needed to know.

"I'll tell the men to fix the bayonets," Welsh replied.

"I'll make sure JJ, Eugene, and Spina are ready and prepared." Peggy bobbed her head, she watched Welsh glance down at Winters injured leg and chuckled quietly.

"Not much of a limp," Welsh commented offhand.

Peggy observes Winters look down at his leg before stopping. "I'll survive." He tells him, Welsh nodding again.

"How is it?"

"Hurts," Winters answers, Peggy snorting.

"I warned you about standing in an open alleyway before." Peggy sang lowly, Winters ignores her and shakes his head, Welsh chuckling before offering his friend a small smile.

"War is hell." Welsh states before glancing at Peggy. "She goin' to carry you next time again?" He teases and Peggy laughs slightly, Winters rolling his eyes. Neither reply and Welsh offers them a smile before turning and walking away.

"Come on, dragă. I'll get you back to your foxhole." Peggy chuckled, patting Winters arm and he raised an eyebrow. "I can't have you walking around limping in pain and accidentally fall or something, who knows." She shrugged with a small chuckle, Winters looking down at her curiously.

"You going to tell me what that means in Romani?" He questioned, the two beginning to walk while Peggy took his hand to help support him while he walked. Oh, he wished he could understand half of the things she spoke in the various languages, especially Romani, she knew that for sure. Peggy just offered him a smirk and shook her head, Winters sighing but smiling at his friend.

"Nope."

translations:

Fucking asshole, thinking he's funny. I'll get him back. - Verdammtes arschloch, das ihn für lustig hält Ich hole ihn zurück (german).

I think you've forgotten, I can speak German too, sweet Harriet. - Ich glaube, du hast vergessen, ich kann auch Deutsch, süße Harriet (german).

Liebling. - Darling (german).

Schatzi. - Treasure/Little Treasure (german).

Drunk elephant. - pijany słoń (polish).

darling. - dragă (romani).

love. - dragoste (romani).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.1K 4.1K 126
Charlie Lancaster leaves home knowing only that she wants to help. There's a war on across the ocean, and boys her age are fighting and dying for the...
77K 2.2K 35
In 1939 Evangeline Marquis de Lafayette McGuire has run out of options. Tired of hearing that people are dying and being told to stay in the kitchen...
The Way Back By Leah

Historical Fiction

22.2K 619 29
The Way Back ~ Band of Brothers A young woman who struggles with her past, finding herself clouded in darkness, wishing someone would pull her out...
481K 12.2K 134
charlotte tarvers is only 14 when the war breaks out, but 17 when she signs up. she's heard the stories from her parents, lovers who found each other...