Ishq Kinara[Love Ashore] Comp...

By AimmyB

Five people. Five lives. Five tales. Each of them is struggling through life and these struggles aren't somet... More

Character Aesthetics
Prologue
1. Abay Saalo'n!
2. A bunch of idiots
3. A regular Sunday
4. Changes
5. Shift
6. Realizations
7. Conundrum
8. Friends
9. Life
10. Clear Waters
11. Not Quite A Heartbreak
12. Too Much Work
13. Heart Ties
14. November
15. Not So Normal
16. Ashore
17. Serendipity
18. Dive
19. Horizon
20. Promise
21. Epiphany
22. Crown
23. Fall
24. Aurora
25A: Someday
26. Steady
27. Ripple
28. Crashing Down
29. Decisions
30. Crevice
31. Souvenir
32. Waves
33. Echo
34. Sinking Ships
35. Losing Grip
36. Fading
37. Unsaid
38. Ships in the night
39. Far from the shore
40. Life as it comes
41. Reminiscing
42. Homecoming
43. Warm
44. The same place
45. Changes and Constants
46. Traces
47. Start Over
48. Shore to the sea
49. Fall into place
50A. Love Ashore [Last]
50B. Love Ashore[Last]
Epilogue
Thank you Note
Bonus: Still Ashore
Bonus # 2: Then and Now
Once Upon a January

25B. Everyday

1.9K 284 613
By AimmyB

Rubbing his wet hair with the towel, Izaan stood in front of the mirror and started running a comb through it in his careless manner. He was humming a low tone and that made Memoona very amused as she knocked at his door and getting a busy answer in the form of humming, got inside.

"Izzu, You are going somewhere?"

He nodded, picking up his stuff from the bed. He was the tidiest among her three kids. And this was something she both admired and was thankful for. It meant less hassle and mess. She was a desi mother after all. It made her happy.

"We all are hanging out together after a long time."

"All five of you?"

"Ahan."

Memoona was interestingly looking at how he was in such a good mood. It wasn't just the vibe of Sunday or meeting his close friends after a long time. It was something more than that. Everyone could say that.

"Amma, what are you looking at?"

"My handsome son who's looking extra handsome today."

He shook his head.

"You guys did the right thing by planning this hangout today. I think I have some cookies I baked in the morning. I should pack those too."

"Amma, there's no need for that."

"I'm not packing those for you anyway so you just stay quiet. Safi loves those.. I've mastered the art of baking cookies all thanks to her."

He wanted to roll his eyes but instead a smile had reached his lips. It wasn't the prospect of the cookies, but the person his mother had just mentioned.

He didn't know why but lately he had started associating happiness with her a lot. She was that only. A breath of fresh air and something close to home.

"I should go and start packing cookies for you."

The mere mention of her had filled his heart with so much warmth.

He was happy. These days he was smiling.

This was nice and he didn't want it to ever end.

The last thought had slowly made him come out of his dazed state altogether.

It happened all the time. Whenever he delved too deep in the newly found euphoria, he felt someone, or something pulling his back ashore. The smile had gone from his face. Instead, a thoughtful expression was settled there.

Safwa made him happier than he ever was.

But was he allowed to be this happy?

Was he allowed to feel so much?

And why was she such a vital part of his life now?

She'd been there for quite sometime now then why these days he's feeling like the time spent with her is never enough?

These thoughts clouded his mind whenever he was alone and he always pushed them to the back of his mind because finding the answers to those was risky and right now he just wanted to stay above the trouble waters. But for how long? Someday or the other he'd have to address these whisperings of his heart seriously and he was sure that day wouldn't be as easy as it was today.

Shaking his head he picked up his wallet and came out of his room. Now wasn't the time to think on these lines. He had a day planned to spend with his family outside of the family and he wasn't going to let his own thoughts ruin it for him.

Kamran Ansari was seated in his usual spot in the lounge when Izaan came out of his room. He looked at his grandfather and then went back inside. This time around his medical box was in his hand.

"How are you feeling today, Abba?"

He placed the cuff around his arm and asked.

"I could ask you the same."

Izaan smiled, shaking his head.

"I'm not the one whose BP wouldn't come down the whole day yesterday."

"Trivial inconsistencies of old age."

"You say age is just a number."

"That is for me to feel good about hitting another decade. But don't tell anyone."

A small laugh left Izaan's lips. He was relieved to see the close to normal reading of the sphygmomanometer.

"Izaan."

"Yes, Abba."

"Happiness looks good on you, son."

He was checking his medicines, opening his medicine box. He stilled for a second but then kept on doing the task at hand.

"A person can't always be happy though."

"You should try."

"And if the person doesn't know how to try then?"

"You should look for the reason. It could be anyone. Any person. But just because you're afraid that it's not going to stay always, don't deny yourself to feel the warmth of happiness, son. Nothing lasts forever. But this is no excuse to not feel what you so want to feel."

He was quiet now. No words came out of his mouth to deny what Abba was saying.

"A little bit of selfishness never harms anyone. Especially for those who never live for themselves. Learn to grasp what makes you happy, Izaan. Rest will follow. Just focus on yourself for once. No second thoughts. Just you and your happiness."

He could feel there was more to what Abba was saying but he hadn't asked. He just nodded.

______

"Tell me again why this sudden plan of going to Seaview?"

Sarim asked, looking up from his phone. They were at the site right now waiting for Izaan. And soon he was seen walking towards them only.

"Because it's been a long time since we all hung out together. I was busy and you two had a couple's feud."

Hesham replied. Both Sarim and Elaf groaned. Izaan had reached them by now.

"It wasn't a feud!"

"Interesting how it's "it wasn't a feud" not " we are not a couple." I see you both."

Safwa stifled her laugh and smacked him on his arm. He gave her a dirty look rubbing the spot.

"And don't worry shorty, all couples fight. No biggie."

"Just how many couples do you actually know by the way?"

Elaf asked seething. He turned around, looked at all four of them and shrugged his shoulders.

"Two actually."

They all made a face but no one said anything. Denying him meant opening another debate and they didn't want that.

"No denial. I see you all."

"How was your couple stuff with Zonish though. I can see a chunk of your hair missing. Had a couple's feud?"

Elaf asked innocently. Hesham narrowed his eyes.

"Shorty, at least keep the sass according to your height."

Elaf gave him a victorious grin.

"You never told us you were actually planning on working with Zonish and here you demand every detail from us. Isn't it a bit hypocritical?"

"No need. I'm better off without knowing."

Izaan raised his hands earning himself a mock hurt look from Hesham.

"Izaan Shoaib, your best man card is revoked."

"You never asked me to be one. It was always a done deal with Sarim. You get to be his and he gets to be yours."

"But you were the substitute if god forbid something unfortunate was to happen to Sarim on my wedding day."

"The only unfortunate event that will happen that day will be your bride running off scared realizing what she's marrying into or you two running off together. Let's see what happens."

"Harsh, your best man card is also revoked. I should actually start considering Rashid for the empty slot."

The usual banter was flowing between them. It was their usual. They found a spot and sat down to relax. But Safwa wanted to take some pictures as the sky was looking extra beautiful today with the scattered clouds on the blue canvas.

Izaan saw her taking the pictures enthusiastically. He didn't know why but he got up on his own accord and followed his line of vision where she was the focus. She was talking to an old lady now. He was just a few steps away from her when she gestured to him to come to her quickly.

"Izaan, do you see the older couple there?"

She gestured towards the side. The same woman she was talking to earlier was now waving at them both. Her husband was standing right next to her with a kind smile.

"It's their 40th anniversary today. They have come to celebrate at the same spot where they proposed to each other. How wholesome is that? I'm going to take some pictures of them. Aunty has specially asked me to."

Izaan was intently listening to her. She was smiling like a child who got her favourite candy. He looked ahead at the happy couple who were sitting in front of the setting sun and that was giving them beautiful shots and an esthetic background. Safwa tried her best to capture the couple, the sea in the background with the sun.

"Notice how they are constantly holding hands. I love this kind of old school notion of love."

Few more shots. The women came to her and Safwa happily exchanged her number and promised to send them the framed photos. They tried refusing, telling her only pictures through the internet would also work but she insisted. Her kind smile was her most beautiful feature. Izaan nodded. And it put a smile on his face too

And that's when the realization hit him like an awakening which is always there at the back of your head but when the impact comes it leaves you staggering.

She was his idea of happiness.

She was his idea of forever.

She was his idea of love.

He somehow knew it but never really got the courage to even admit to himself but now it was like on the surface the sea behind them. Vivid and so damn bright. All white where they could write any story in different colors.

Story of their love.

"Let's go. They are waiting."

She said but Izaan took a step forward. Safwa looked at him confusedly. He smiled. That nervous and shy smile of his. Safwa's confusion turned into something unreadable because she could read him so well.

He extended his hand towards her.

"I think I also love the notion of old school love."

A smile.

A lone tear at the side of her eye.

And then another full smile.

When she gave her hand to him, she knew they were both in love with each other. He also knew.

The shore knew they were both in love with each other.

The three people sitting at some distance to them knew they were both in love with each other.

And the sea knew too.

Love was finally ashore.

____

The next stop was having a cake party at Granna's.

"Why the sudden need for a cake party though?"

Safwa asked, tucking her hair behind her ear as they entered the coffee house.

"You made us witness a Pinterest worthy love scene and now you say what's the occasion?"

Elaf giggled, indicating how happy she was. Safwa looked at Sarim and Hesham. Both were smug and that made her stop in her tracks.

"You both knew, didn't you?"

They didn't deny neither accept it. But she could tell there was more to this than they let on. She'd definitely ask them whenever she got time.

"We are celebrating Izaan and Safwa."

Elaf laughed again. Safwa widened her eyes and looked at Izaan. He just shrugged.

"It's on me. Consider it my treat."

Safwa could tell she didn't enter Granna's just now. It was definitely heaven. Izaan smiled at her at the same time. Definitely heaven.

_____

It was way after the treat, the teasing and the goodbyes to their friends. Izaan had stopped his bike right in front of Kirmani House. Safwa stood outside the iron gate but then turned around and held his hand. He looked at her questionably but followed her anyway.

They stopped in the side alley, it made Kirmani house a bit isolated from the other houses in the lane and it was pretty secluded as well.

Izaan stood in front of her while she kept on smiling at him.

"We held hands, you gave treat to Hesham, Elaf and Sarim, sealing the deal. But how strange is that I, the most important person in this whole thing, didn't get a proper confession?"

Izaan stopped a smile that was reaching his face seeing her sweet assertion.

"I'm good at reading you, Izaan but come on, even I need some assurance."

She didn't actually. She knew he was his. She was just playing with him. On not finding him saying anything she huffed and started walking away. She had just reached two steps ahead when she was grabbed from her waist from behind. Gentle hands held her firmly. He placed his chin on her shoulder.

"Are words always necessary?"

She smiled. That dazzling smile of hers. Turned around, wound her arms around his neck playing with the ends of his hair at the back.

"No. They are not. "

As she looked right into his eyes, she actually believed what she had said. Words were not necessary, when eyes could tell so much.

Their foreheads touched and they closed their eyes.

Their someday had turned into everyday.

And right at the moment everything was fine.

____

A/N: Happy One Year Anniversary to Ishq Kinara <3

 I think this was the most crucial part of this story so far. (So far being the keyword) How did you all like Izaan and Safwa's progression though? For me they are my softest babies.

Also, If some people feel that the pace of this story is slow, then it's deliberate. It's a character oriented story not a plot oriented one. I'm exploring these characters along with writing them and that's why at times the pace seems slow. But I can assure you, the story is moving forward quite fine. You can expect so much from here on now that the exploration part of some of them in over :)

I'm always very thankful for the time you take out for reading this story even though my updating schedule is messed up. I'm trying to work on it. Let's see how it goes.

Also, Eid Mubarak to all those celebrating.

Love,

Aims.

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 293 52
Five year's after the biggest betrayal of his life.Karanvir is set on a journey of self building and acquiring justice for the love of his life. A lo...
ELYU By Haruki

Short Story

375 13 7
This is not a love story. This is a tale of 2 broken people who found each other. Its a story that writes itself.
25 7 7
A story of 9 students who joined two different groups: Even and Odd. Even though they both stand on different sides of the glass wall, the two sides...
14K 800 19
Pain is what every one says everyone has experienced also but pain of a girl who doesn't know what is love from her childhood what happens when she...