Notorious ⊷ Haechan

By driediink

"I'm not the bad guy here. But I can be." • Crime / special agent au • Haechan (NCT) • NCT Dream focused but... More

⊷ Characters ⊶
1 ⊷ Headlines
2 ⊷ Teamwork
3 ⊷ Office
4 ⊷ Apples
5 ⊷ Suspicious
6 ⊷ Idiots
7 ⊷ Breakfast
8 ⊷ Juno
9 ⊷ Glass
10 ⊷ Fake
11 ⊷ House
12 ⊷ Scared
13 ⊷ Tires
15 ⊷ Anything
16 ⊷ Miss
17 ⊷ Towel
18 ⊷ Self-taught
19 ⊷ Questions
20 ⊷ Bubble
21 ⊷ Returned
22 ⊷ Annoying
23 ⊷ Wish
24 ⊷ Pizza
25 ⊷ Red
26 ⊷ Trigger
27 ⊷ Later
28 ⊷ Visits
29 ⊷ Alone
30 ⊷ Sweetheart
31 ⊷ Genuinely
32 ⊷ Hell
33 ⊷ Alias
34 ⊷ Forgotten
35 ⊷ Tree
36 ⊷ Quietly
37 ⊷ Emergency
38 ⊷ Samoyed
39 ⊷ Disappointment
40 ⊷ Family
41 ⊷ Nap
42 ⊷ Circles
43 ⊷ Honesty
44 ⊷ Accusations
45 ⊷ President
46 ⊷ Lie
47 ⊷ Worse
48 ⊷ Death
49 ⊷ Home
50 ⊷ Glad
51 ⊷ Rough
52 ⊷ Shameless
53 ⊷ Bickering
54 ⊷ Glitter
55 ⊷ UNO
56 ⊷ Tears
57 ⊷ Observed
58 ⊷ Names
59 ⊷ Snacks
60 ⊷ Again
61 ⊷ Jump
62 ⊷ News Update!
63 ⊷ LTM
64 ⊷ Future
65 ⊷ At last

14 ⊷ Cotton

955 60 12
By driediink

G r a s s

14

Hollow. 

Everything sounded and felt empty. The colours he saw were washed out. His mind was hazy. He didn't understand what was going on. 

What happened? 

He groaned as he sat up. Probably, at least. He didn't hear himself, he didn't feel the blood dripping down his forehead. 

"Haechan!" It sounded familiar. As familiar as the face that popped into his vision as Jungwoo crouched down in front of him. "Are you okay?" 

Haechan hesitated. He understood him well but everything was too mushed together to actually react or process what was being said. But he could tell from his impatient gaze that he was waiting for some type of reaction. 

So Haechan nodded. He didn't quite realize that he nodded nor did he understand why he did it, but he did it anyway. 

"Where is Ji-yoon?" Jungwoo then asked. He looked behind himself, panic colouring his skin pale white, then looked back at Haechan. "Where is she?!" 

He was shouting but for Haechan it was closer to a whisper. He wondered. 

Ji-yoon? 

Right. That car. 

His eyes wandered off to the side. The car's headlights were shining into the now destroyed café. The light reflected off the glasses, cups, metal, shards on the ground. 

It shimmered too. The light shimmered in the blood that covered the ground where her body was lying. 

So Haechan's arm travelled up slowly, finger pointed towards the front of the car which hid most of her behind it. 

Jungwoo's eyes widened as he saw where he was pointing at. 

He got up, ran towards the vehicle and into the demolished café where he dragged her lifeless body away from the car and held it in his arms until help arrived. 

But Haechan couldn't wait. 

His world started spinning, his eyes lost focus. He felt like he couldn't breathe when his eyes fell shut and he let his body drop onto the asphalt behind him. 

He soundlessly gasped in pain as he opened his eyes and tried to move around. Haechan's whole body ached. 

His world was spinning. The light from the setting sun that entered the hospital room through the large windows was uncomfortably bright. 

Since when was it so bright? 

"I'm not surprised about that," Renjun said flatly.  

He sounded tired. He was sitting with his head in his hand, palm pressing against his forehead. His eyes were closed as he gave his best to focus on what the caller was saying. 

Looking around, Haechan saw no one but Renjun here. It didn't surprise him though. After what happened, he was sure the boys wouldn't have been able to stay still. 

They were probably already at the scene, investigating. 

Renjun laughed under his breath. "Yeah, because that makes it any better." 

Silence. 

The clear anger in his voice left behind silence - on both ends of the call. Though Renjun could get irritated easily, he wasn't angry often. 

He took a deep breath. "Chenle, my best friend almost died and you expect me to stay calm?" he grumbled into the phone. "I know that she's still unconscious but I don't care about that girl." 

Right. 

If it wasn't for her, that car would have--

"It's Jungwoo," Renjun disagreed. "She is important to Jungwoo. She is with us because of Jungwoo. And on top of that, she did all of this voluntarily, why would I feel bad?" 

He had a point. Kinda

Because Haechan felt like there was more to it. She wasn't just involved with Jungwoo, given that she was friends with and close to many people around him. She had friends in other companies, spying on her opponents. 

Maybe he was interpreting too much into this, but somehow Haechan thought that it was good to have her on their side. 

Starting to slowly massage his temple with his fingers, eyes still closed and done with his nerves, Renjun was trying to calm himself down.

While he was focused on his conversation, Haechan slowly sat up. He tried hard to push his torso up through the little strength he could find in his arms. 

"No, I don't trust her," the oldest said without hesitation. "I don't know why she protected him and I don't know why she follows his rules. Does that even matter?" 

Silence erupted once again when Renjun frowned and asked, 
"Chenle?" 

But he asked in vain as, on the other end of the call, the boy was struggling to keep the phone in his hands. Renjun didn't see Chenle basically wrestling with Jisung who soon obtained possession of the phone. 

The oldest frowned when he heard the youngest. 

He sighed as he answered, "I don't know, Jisung. Jeno is trying to get some news on her condition. But she isn't doing too well, as far as I know." 

Haechan had to piece together the missing parts of the conversation on his own, yet it proved itself not to be all too difficult. 

"Jisung, I really don't care," Renjun said with complete confidence. A confidence that shattered the next second when he suddenly held the phone far away from his ear at the agitated screams that flooded out of the speakers. 

He frowned in misery while Haechan watched him curiously. 

He really wanted to know what Jisung was saying now. However, once the youngest was done, he got his answer anyway. 

"Okay, okay, damn. Don't shout at me," Renjun said under his breath, too exhausted to start a proper argument. "I promise I will try to be nicer to her if she survives the night, okay?" 

If? 

Haechan closed his eyes, bit the inside of his cheek as he tried to swallow the nausea that he felt. Just the mention of it made his head feel heavier as questions upon questions, pictures and memories started rushing through his mind. 

"I take it back!" Renjun whisper-shouted meanwhile to cut Jisung off who fell into a rant again. "Where is all of your compassion for that girl coming from anyway... Just give the phone back to Chenle, please."

Shortly after that, the phone was back in the president's hands. He laughed, knowing that Renjun must have been exhausted from the youngest's blaming words. 

"Why did you give him the phone?" He hummed in disagreement. "You are stronger than him." 

Haechan looked at the door to the room, remembering what Renjun had just said about Jeno. He should be back soon with news about her. 

"Is there anything I can help with?" Renjun asked Chenle who gave a short answer considering how quickly the oldest said, "Call me if there is anything. I will keep you up to date regarding Haechan." 

Quick goodbyes and comforting words later, Renjun finally hung up the phone. 

He stayed quiet at first. He kept his eyes closed, held his phone loosely in his hand that was resting on his lap. A heavy exhale and he ran a hand through his hair. 

He was worried and angry and irritated. And Haechan felt bad about it which was why he asked, 

"Are you alright?" 

His voice was hoarse from how dry his throat was and he spoke quietly since his head still felt like it was filled with lead and wrapped in cotton. 

Renjun jumped out of his chair and turned around to the bed where he spotted Haechan sitting, pale and tired yet awake and talking. 

He rushed towards him. "You are awake? How are you? Are you okay?" 

Haechan wasn't quite sure how to answer his last questions. 'Good' or 'Yes' would be a bit too optimistic but a simple 'No' wouldn't do it either. 

"I've done better," was what Haechan said instead. 

"I should go get a doctor, I'll be right back," Renjun said. He already turned around and was about to walk away when the younger grabbed his arm and made him stay. He looked back at him. "Hm?" 

"Wait," he said weakly. "Tell me what's going on first." 

While Renjun didn't think that the investigation was important compared to his health and while he would have preferred to leave him and get someone to check on him, he knew that Haechan had his priorities. 

As the leader of the team, it was already hard enough not to be able to take care of the boys let alone not knowing what was happening in the first place. 

"Jungwoo took care of everything. He called Chenle, talked to the emergency personnel, gave them your and Ji-yoon's information." 

"Where is Jungwoo?" Haechan asked but Renjun didn't know either. 

"Chenle and the others went to the scene. The police were there before us but they already called it an accident when we asked what had happened." 

Haechan frowned. "What?" 

"Basically," Renjun said, "We are on our own. Pretty much like Ji-yoon said: We can't trust the police right now. So Chenle took over the investigations." 

Okay, good so far. 

But there was one more thing...

"How is she?" Haechan asked worriedly. 

"I don't know much either. Apparently the surgery went well but besides that, I am still waiting for Jeno to-"

For Jeno to come back. That was what he wanted to say right as Jeno entered the room. 

Before he said anything he spotted Haechan sitting in bed, causing him to practically sprint over to the younger one. 

"You are awake!" he exclaimed. "Man, I was never so happy before to see you." 

"...thanks?" Haechan asked. "Do you know anything about Ji-yoon?" 

"Oh, yeah! She is in the ICU. Visits are limited to two people per day, plus only family is allowed to enter at the moment," Jeno informed them, meaning he didn't get a look at her himself. "But I met Taemin on the way." 

Renjun frowned right away, surprised to hear that. "Why is her boss here?" 

Jeno quickly shook his head. "He was allowed into the room, so he must be family." 

"They are related?" Renjun gasped, looked at Haechan who seemed surprised himself. 

"Why do you live with Taemin?" Haechan asked.

Ji-yoon let out a soft oh at how simple the question turned out to be.

"We grew up together," she explained. "We are family, it feels natural to live together."

Haechan thought she meant they were like family. He didn't realize they were actually related. They didn't even share the same surname.  

"I guess," Jeno said, replying to Renjun first before he continued to answer the original question. "Taemin said she can breathe on her own again, so he is pretty optimistic. But the doctors are still worried. They say most of it depends on whether she will make it till tomorrow." 

Since visiting hours were almost over, the time Haechan had left with Renjun and Jeno before they had to leave was limited. 

So Renjun hurried to find a doctor so that the three could spend the remaining time comfortably. 

"Ah, right!" Jeno exclaimed shortly after Renjun left. He took a step closer to Haechan. "We don't have much info on her family, do we?" 

Haechan was quick to nod. "Why?" 

Uncertain whether it was even important or not, Jeno narrowed his eyes, stared at the ceiling as he thought about it. 

"Just..." he mumbled. "There was someone else in her room. I only saw him from behind but..." 

"Do you know him?" Haechan asked. 

"Maybe?"

Cotton 

I didn't update in more than two weeks oops

But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you so much for reading 💚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 104K 77
↻ Mafia/Gang au ↻"God you're the best thing that has happened to me I swear."
410K 15.7K 55
❄️ Mafia/Gang au ❄️ "You are too innocent, I'd corrupt you"
2.9M 127K 84
➥ Mafia/Gang au ➥ "I could shoot you dead right here- don't try it."
70.7K 3.3K 29
❝ omg, it may be illegal, but what if we fall in love? ❞ II guardian angel au! :: © nana_hyuck {2021}