His Inconvenient Bride | โœ”๏ธ

By akiimarvelous

| ๐…๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ž๐ | Akanksha, a forensic expert and her husband Vihaan, a CBI officer must work together thr... More

| his inconvenient bride |
| character aesthetics |
| part one |
| prologue: unknown wave |
| i: the betrayal |
| ii: best buddies |
| iii: vihaan |
| iv: bond |
| v: fight and care |
| vi: discussion |
| vii: cupid's play |
| viii: the cold pickup |
| ix: the revelation |
| x: remorse |
| xi: dead end |
| xii: riddle |
| xiii: the burnt body |
| xiv: panic |
| xv: vacation |
| xvi: the walk, the talk and the coffee |
| xvii: highway in the woods |
| xviii: change |
| xix: taint |
| xx: city of dreams |
| part 2 |
| xxi: package of horror |
| xxii: comfort amidst the chaos |
| xxiv: new development |
| xxv: a deadly move |
| xxvi: secrets |
| xxvii: memories |
| xxviii: baking |
| xxix: something shady |
| xxx: two can keep a secret |
| xxxi: apology |
| xxxii: the hope of love |
| xxxiii: fear |
| xxxiv: naive |
| xxxv: ruhi parekh |
| xxxvi: guilt |
| xxxvii: the truth under the lie |
| xxxviii: eight years ago- a |
|xxxix: eight years ago-b |
| xl: scars of past |
| xli: the wrong one|
| xlii: happy place |
| xliii: jaipur to mumbai |
| xliv: grave |
| xlv: better late than never |
| xlvi: long distance calls |
| xlvii: trishna rawat - a deadly mystery |
| xlviii: a supporting partner |
| xlix: the cabin in the woods |
| l: surprises and sneak ins |
| li: a twist in the tale |
| lii: the daughter |
| liii: first of firsts |
| liv: the mavericks |
| part 3 |
| lv: cat and mouse |
| lvi: echoes of chaos |
| lvii: remeets |
| lviii: the calm before the storm |
| lix: two can play a game |
| lx: all in the name of friendship |
| epilogue: his not-so-inconvenient bride |
| final |
| bonus i: love is in the air |
| questionnaire |
| facts that no one wanted to know |
| acknowledgement |

| xxiii: real |

4.5K 478 160
By akiimarvelous

"Flattery does not encourage the perfect flow of love in the vein of your relationship. Be genuine and speak out what you feel for each other without hiding the painful truth." — Michael Bassey Johnson

Jaipur, India

Akanksha wasn't awkward after what had happened on the balcony. Nor was Vihaan. In fact, they had been more comfortable since that day. That little awkwardness that was left between them swiftly blew away, without letting them know about it.

Akanksha had never thought that she would find a friend in Vihaan. The man who did not even exist for her in the past seven years. The very same man whose name was attached with hers. He who had become a part of her identity.

Life is confusing. Life is unpredictable. Yet life is surprisingly beautiful. They were two misfits bonded into a relationship for a lifetime.

She hadn't admitted but she as well had judged the man a bit too hard.

It is human to feel the light and the dark. It is human to be emotional. Akanksha knew he was emotional. Anger is a type of emotion. Frustration is a type of emotion. And Vihaan felt that, all the time.

Anger may be one of the most heightened forms of emotion. But for Vihaan it was a form to express himself. It was to express that his anger depicted his sadness in a fight mode.

When he was at his lowest, others had taken advantage of him. When he fell weak and emotionally attacked, anger was his way out. Anger saved his life.

Vihaan's action that night had made her feel safe and protected. It assured her that someone was there for her who understood her apart from her sister and her friends. There was someone with whom she could talk about anything and everything.

That was a progress between them.

Vihaan and Akanksha were heading towards Janhavi and Mukesh's house for dinner. The evening was pleasant with every second and the air was windy, but still, there was a happy environment.

"So," Akanksha took a long playful pause before she asked Vihaan, "how did the appointment at the hospital go?"

Vihaan was annoyed when she giggled for the umpteenth time.

Taking Pranav to the hospital all by himself was a bad idea.

He groaned but that didn't stop her from the giggling session.

Vihaan Singh Chauhan hated giggling. It annoyed him to the core and drove him insane. And her constant giggles were pissing him off.

Vihaan sighed. She was having fun. And she did tell him to take her along with him to the hospital. But he, like a newly formed gentleman, refused to take her along and asked her to spend time with the family as it was Saturday, her only holiday of the week.

After a week-long of tough work, she deserved that break.

But his kind act turned into a living nightmare.

"You should have taken me with you," she said, looking at him.

"You should have told me that Pranav is such a cry baby. Look what he did to my hands!" he indicated towards the scratches that were decorating his wrists.

Akanksha grimaced at the sight. "Pranav is extremely scared of the plaster saw. This was the fifth time he had gotten a fracture. I was aware that he would be screaming when they would use the plaster saw to cut the plaster. He is terrified of them."

"You should have told me sooner!" He hissed.

Akanksha snickered. "Wasn't it you who was being so generous today?" She cleared her throat and continued, "I think you should stay back home and rest. Saturday is your only holiday. I will take him to the hospital." She mimicked his deep voice.

Vihaan cringed, hearing her. It was such a bad decision.

"I tried to tell you but you didn't leave your usual habit of not letting me speak and went away. Ab bhugto!" She shrugged.

"Don't remind me," he groaned. "But damn! He sure screams like a girl. For a moment I had disowned him." He chortled.

Akanksha joined in, laughing along with him. "He looks like the calm, sophisticated one among all of us but he has his own days."

And that's how their journey in the car was filled with fun and laughter.

* * *

Akanksha rang the doorbell of her beloved Chachu's house and stood back, waiting for someone to open the door.

She could faintly hear the approaching footsteps and she joined her hands and muttered a quick prayer muttering everything to go well.

A few seconds later, the door flew open and there stood a familiar lady who was gaping at the sight before.

Akanksha could swear on her life that she had never seen Janhavi Agarwal in so much shock.

"Hehe... surprise Chachi!" She involuntarily let out a nervous chuckle, moving slightly to stand behind Vihaan.

Janhavi regained her senses and quickly moved forward to twist her ear, pulling her along inside the house.

Akanksha who was dragged by her ear looked back at Vihaan who was barely controlling his laugh. She blinked her eyes pleadingly to which he snorted and mouthed, 'karma'.

She gaped at him in shock. Her nose flared in annoyance and turned away along with Janhavi, who still had the hold on her ear.

When they reached the lounge, Janhavi left her ear. Akanksha hissed, rubbing her ear vigorously to ease down the throbbing pain.

"Princess Akanksha," she started sarcastically, "now you remember your Chacha and Chachi? Are you not ashamed to come to meet us after two months of shifting to Jaipur? Let's admit that there's a lot of work, but what was the problem in coming here once?" She scolded her. Akanksha looked down, ashamed, cursing herself mentally.

Janhavi looked at her and she immediately softened at her sullen face. "You are the only child that lives in the same city as us." She said, cupping her face. "Your brothers stay in the other corners of the country. We know that you are busy handling two jobs, but we also want to see you, even if it is for a minute."

Akanksha didn't say anything and stepped forward to hug her. She slowly wrapped her arms around her and hugged her beloved Aunt.

Nothing was said by her side, only feelings were felt.

"Janhavi, who's there?" A guttural voice echoed from upstairs making the aunt-daughter break their hug.

They heard the approaching footsteps, echoing sharply through the quiet house and sounding overly loud to their ears.

Soon the man came where all of them stood, looking at them carefully through his sharp black irises.

Akanksha stepped ahead, and blabbered, "Before you say anything, I am really sorry Chachu. I was extremely busy-" The house mellowed with the booming laughter by Mukesh Agarwal, cutting her off.

Looking at her lost face, he moved towards her and kissed her forehead, taking her in his embrace.

Akanksha could feel the same warmth that she once used to feel when things were far better between her and her father. When she was the light of his life, the reason for all the happiness. When she was the blessing of all their good deeds.

She felt a sudden pit of emptiness within her. No matter how much she tried to keep her mind off them, they had always managed to make a space. It bothered her.

At this point, she had nothing to do with them. After all that went down. But, it is okay to feel bad, right?

"How's my girl?" Mukesh asked, placing his hand on her head.

"First class," she said, smiling at his affection.

Mukesh tilted his head slightly and looked at the man standing behind her. His jaw visibly hardened and he pulled his niece to his side.

"Anika had told me that he was good but what was the need to bring him here?" He gritted out in her ear.

Akanksha hadn't expected this sort of reaction from him. But then again, the news of Vihaan's abandonment was obviously known to him.

"Chachu, please," she requested, "he's really not what you think. He's just misunderstood." She explained.

Vihaan joined his hands and slightly bowed, giving his regards to him. Mukesh, looking at his niece's pleading face, slightly nodded at him and sat with Akanksha followed by Janhavi and Vihaan.

* * *

"The food is really good Chachi," Vihaan complimented, stuffing another spoon of pulao in his mouth. Janhavi who was elated by his constant praises throughout the dinner, stuffed his plate with more pulao, urging him to eat more.

The dining area carried a happy vibe with the chatters on the table interwoven with the aroma of their meal together.

Vihaan observed Akanksha as she was happily chatting with her uncle.

He had so much to admire about her but her raw honesty was the best part. He loved how her words spilt out real slow as if the truth could take its time. It's as if there's a force behind those words, the kind that is respectful and quiet — a determination that's observant and patient. And in those words was wonderful compassion, an awareness of the vulnerability of others, of the sort that is born out of a painful experience.

Her behaviour was different for everyone. She was calm and composed with him, she was loving and compassionate with elders, she was goofy with her friends and her sister. He had never seen her being rude to anyone; not even with her parents. Suddenly everything about her seemed admirable to him.

Suddenly he was seeing the inner her. He admired the bond they shared, something that was so raw and real. They were honest with each other, opinion and emotion wise. Apart from the secrets they were holding on to, they had nothing to hide from each other.

It takes so much strength to survive in a world such as this. Holding onto your secrets, holding onto the best part of yourselves, and then keeping it real.

Vihaan realised that he had never met a woman who was honest and real. He never knew that real could be this beautiful.

He liked it when she teased him. He liked it when he cracked jokes with her. He didn't know what the feeling was, but it was something really beautiful.

She was a friend of course, but she was becoming something else for him. Something important in his life after years. He was yet to come to terms with it as destiny was waiting for the right time.

He was looking at her and that's where she turned to look at him, passing him a beautiful smile.

Oh, that goddamned smile.

He was lost in the deep ocean of her eyes. That's where that raging soul with an unsteady heart found his peace. He could feel the coolness in himself just looking at her beautiful eyes lighting up with her smile. He could feel his calm returning back to himself.

"Akanksha," Mukesh's bass voice broke his train of thoughts, bringing him to reality. "We have our annual charity gala in a few weeks. I think you and Vihaan should come since it's being held in Jaipur this time."

Akanksha tensed, shifting uneasily in her position. Her eyes briefly met Vihaan's and shifted her attention back to her food.

"Chachu, I- I am not ready." She said as she toyed with her food.

"No," Mukesh retaliated with a stern voice. "It's about time, Akanksha. We kept your details hidden for years after you got married and now the media and the people in the business want to know about you as you are one of the heirs. You have attended those galas for years before you got married. People have seen you, they know you. The media would not waste a single second to get their hands on the news of your marriage. It will spread like a wildfire and you will have all the unnecessary media attention. I don't know if Anika had told you this but people have been asking about you for months now. They are aware that you have taken over the Jaipur hotel. We are just keeping them back from making this news public." He explained.

Akanksha pinched the bridge of her nose as she gravely thought about the situation. She wasn't new to this gala. She had been a part of this for years. It was one of those days in the year where her whole family was together. From her uncle's family to hers, every single one was present in that gala.

It was one of those days that she looked forward to all year.

Now all she wanted was to avoid it.

But for what?

Because of her marriage with Vihaan?

Because the relationship with her parents went downhill?

Or because she was scared to face the people there who would ask multiple questions?

It was an amalgamation of the three. She was aware of it.

It was so unlike her yet like her. Her restless mind wasn't finding peace with the news. She was aware of the toxic high society. They were absolute predators. They will hunt your secrets and destroy your sanity.

They were merciless. And Akanksha didn't want to encounter that situation. Because if one secret was out, it would become a chain reaction. Multiple secrets would be out, some that she still wasn't aware of.

She sure was thinking too much. Maybe none of this would happen. But she wasn't ready to rule out the possibility.

Mukesh's stern announcement had thrown her off. She had suddenly become tense as she thought over and over.

She sure was a confident woman. But sometimes it's the fear that speaks, not you.

She then wondered. Why was it all about her? Was Vihaan ready to go with her and introduce himself as her husband?

She looked up at him who was sitting right in front of her. His eyes held the same softness and warmth that she had been seeing for a few days. They were progressing slowly but steadily.

There was no fakeness, no show-off. Everything was real. And she wouldn't want to destroy what they were developing.

Akanksha had decided what she had to do.

"Chachu," she took a deep breath and let go of her tensed stature, "this decision isn't solely mine. It's Vihaan's as well. I will only come up with the decision after I discuss it with him. There's still a lot of time until the gala. We will come up with a decision soon."

Mukesh nodded and patted her head. "I hope that your decision turns out to be positive."

"Let's see."

Akanksha could feel her cheeks burn as she ignored the look that Vihaan was giving.

Vihaan sure wasn't expecting this kind of an answer. He was surprised when she said that she would not give her answer before discussing it with him because he was sure that if there was any other woman, she wouldn't have bothered asking his opinion considering it was a family matter. He was surprised that she considered him. He was surprised that she was thought about him.

By now he was aware of her qualities. But sometimes her little actions like these manage to amaze him.

The respect he had for her had certainly raised a notch higher. Because he saw her efforts that let him know that he had a place in her life. That she considered him a family.

* * *

Vihaan turned around, leaning his back on the railing of the balcony, facing towards his room.

"So," he started, taking a long slurp of the filter coffee that was made by Akanksha.

"So, what?" She asked leaning slightly as she rested her hands over the railing, holding her cup tightly. She peered over his way, raising her eyebrows in question.

"What did you think about going to the gala?" He asked her.

"Are we talking about this now?" She sighed, looking up at the starry sky.

It was almost half-past twelve and the two of them weren't feeling sleepy. The night was quiet and peaceful as if it was trying not to interrupt them.

"Yes, we are." He said firmly not before noticing her try to avoid the talk.

"I- I don't know. It feels so sudden." She mumbled.

"Why is that so?"

"Maybe it has been years since I have been to any of them?" Her voice stated a question as she tried to think what she was feeling at the moment.

"Then I think you should go. Relive the old memories." He suggested.

"But nothing is the same now." She whispered to herself. "A-And what about you?"

"But nothing is different as well." He said as he tried to make her understand. "Yes, you have had your changes these past years but, you are the same person. Changes don't change your personality, it changes your lifestyle. And as far as I am concerned, I think we should go. If the truth has to come out someday, why hide around like criminals?" He shook his head, looking away.

Akanksha shifted closer to him, her wrist slightly brushing his elbow. "I don't know what I will say when they will ask me about our marriage." She looked at her coffee, the steam long gone.

Vihaan got up from his position and rested his elbow on the railing, leaning sideways, facing her. "We will tell them what's the truth." Akanksha looked at him, bewildered by his words. "I mean we will edit a few details." He shrugged. "I mean a lot of details." He corrected himself looking at her poker face.

"You came up with a solution so easily." She said, taking a sip of her now almost cold coffee. "It would have taken me hours to come up with a solution." She added softly.

"No," he said, readjusting his position. "You aren't. You just had a lot on your mind."

Akanksha shook her head, disagreeing with him. "You are being very nice, Vihaan. But honestly, I am just too much over with everything. I am over emotional, over-thinker and even over sensitive. It's good to be emotional but sometimes those emotions and thoughts make you vulnerable and hamper your mental stability. It was so easy for you to think logically and come up with an answer. Whereas I," she took a deep breath and continued, "I thought about all those unnecessary negative things that could happen there. It made me feel insecure, scared, anxious and nervous. You may think I am a headstrong woman with an extraordinary career path, but I don't think I am." She slouched her shoulders, her fore lines creased in dejection.

Vihaan stared at her for a second to think upon her words. Her words hit him like a dagger. "Everyone goes through this at some point. Only the brave become vulnerable emotionally, for trust takes strength, lowering the protective shield around you is brave, and often it comes when we learn that to survive and be strong, this vulnerable state is the first step. We cannot step out of our own cage until we are willing to unlock the door. You feel this way because you are brave, Akanksha."

"But not everyone has anxiety." She scoffed bitterly.

Vihaan was clearly shocked at the revelation. He did not know how to react. Masking up the shock he asked, "But did that anxiety ever become a hindrance in your life where you have achieved so many things?" When he didn't get an answer he continued, "Anxiety is not a disability, Akanksha. Sure, it rattles your mind but never think that it is stopping you from achieving something. Don't treat it like a disability. You are already giving up before even fighting." Vihaan did not have the experience on how to deal with emotions or how to help someone suffering from something like this.

But he knew one thing. Mental health is important.

"Will you help me?" She asked after a while.

"With what?"

"With this anxiety, this restlessness and these overhyped emotions?"

"I will as long as you are willing to fight against it. And besides, I will also take a few emotions from you. I don't have a single emotional bone in me." He chuckled. Akanksha came out of her grave state and chortled along with him.

"By the way," he sang but then grimaced at his voice, "how come you stayed off the media's radar? Didn't they follow what was going on in your life?"

"Usually, children are kept off the radar until they are about to enter the business. Also, the media was more interested in Anika Di's life since she was completing her MBA at that time. And when I went to Delhi, Chachu and Di issued a statement that I was studying to be a forensic expert and have no interest in the hotel industry." She explained.

"Does the media know that Di and Reyansh Bhai had eloped?" His question made Akanksha laugh as she remembered that time.

Gulping back another chuckle, she said, "We called the media on their reception to let them know the news of their marriage. We told them that Di and Jiju had married in secret with all the elders' blessings."

"Wow," he snorted, mentally imagining the reaction of her parents.

"Vihaan," Akanksha called out as she walked to the other end of the balcony.

"Hmm?"

"This balcony is so plain and boring." She scrunched her nose looking around.

Vihaan narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean? It's so good. Don't you see this small circular ottoman and chairs?"

She wagged her forefinger. "Nuh-uh. Keeping furniture doesn't make a balcony look aesthetic. There's nothing here. No potted plants, no wind chimes and no color coordination."

"Then change it." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"Huh?" She looked at him, unable to get the hang of his words.

"I don't really understand what aesthetic and all means. Not my cup of tea. So you change it as per your choice. And yes, you can even change things in the bedroom. Just make sure my things are in place." Vihaan shrugged again, nonchalantly.

"But it's your-"

"Our room." He cut her off. "Don't tell me you are still holding on to the things that I had told you initially. You equally own the room. You can do whatever you like." Akanksha's eyes were wide in amazement. She slightly pinched her arm and hissed when it stung.

"Thank you," she said to which Vihaan just waved his hand, walking back to his room.

Vihaan Singh Chauhan definitely knew how to change someone's mood for the better.

Glossary:

Ab Bhugto! : Now suffer!

Hey guys it's me back with yet another chapter. This chapter literally not the one I had decided initially to write and deviated along a different path. Maybe because I myself wanted to write about Vihaan and Akanksha at the moment.

Also happy news! HIS INCONVENIENT BRIDE reached 10K reads and completed a year on July 15th!! I want to thank all of you for your constant support. It means a lot to me.

What are your opinions on Mukesh and Janhavi? Do you like them?

By the way, who's your favourite character in this book?

And lastly, I just want to say that MENTAL HEALTH IS VERY IMPORTANT. Be sure to be happy and be positive and eat lots of healthy food because A HEALTHY MIND IS IN A HEALTHY BODY.

Please vote and comment on this chapter. I read and reply to each and every comment.

With Love,

Akii.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 109K 47
Trust. Somewhere we all trust our best friends more than our family. Right?! But what if they take your trust for granted and crush it. ร—ร—ร—ร—ร—ร—ร—ร—ร—โ€ขร—ร—...
12.6K 906 22
YUVAAN โ™ก ESHA Yuvaan Mehra, a tenacious investigator known for his keen instincts,finds himself entangled in a web of secrets when assigned to a bewi...
187K 9.6K 62
"How dare you crash into my car?" roared a voice, his voice. This man he doesn't even have some manners to help others. He is shouting at me when I a...
210K 6.8K 35
Story of a beautiful , intelligent 18 years old girl who was forced to marry a guy, engaged to her sister. " Dear Mom I don't think I would be able...