A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)

722 26 32
By _Sibylline_

One announcement. @bubblekissed is going to interview me for their AAD community book. We are hard at work but for the time being, go check at their profile! The AAD book is super cute. I'll give you all an update when the interview is out! Now enjoy the oneshot and thanks for your patience loves!

SUPER UNEDITED. I wrote this whole thing on my phone while on vacation with my family soooo... yeah
2755 words

~

Ruy knew that the Moonlark girl was somewhere around here. He just wanted a peek when she isn't threatening to claw his face off. He heard of what she did for her little Vacker friend, along with all the other hostage Black Swan members after the Lumangwe battle. He had to admit, he admired what she did.
But he heard screaming. Agonizing bloody screaming.

"Stop, stop! Please I don't know-"
"We stop when you tell us what the Black Swan has, Moonlark!"
"I don't know! They don't tell me anything! Please stop!"

That... that was her. That was the ferocious Moonlark begging for mercy.

Ruy decided he would come back after the torture. Since they were busy, he might be able to steal some human cash from the Torturer's office to get some food in the Forbidden cities during his next mission. Lilac said she always wanted a human cookie, Ruy wanted to get it for her birthday. Not to mention with that big party his mother is hosting coming up in a couple of days, he shouldn't risk anything.

"Please, I just do what they tell me to do- any information I know you already know. Leave me alone!"
Ruy didn't realize he was swinging the door open until it was too late. He looked through the doorway, glaring over the scene. The young girl sat in a metal chair, her wrists and ankles bound. Short hair clung to her sweat slicked face, tears streaming down her cheeks. It seems Ruy caught them in the middle of a torture session.

What was he doing?! People were tortured all the time in the Neverseen and he cruised right past it, why was he stopping for this Council boot licker?!

"The Moonlark has been ordered back to her cell. I'm to escort her." Ruy announced. The two women glanced at each other, torture devices in their hands. It seems the Moonlark had no large open wounds, but the nasty bruises and cuts around her face, neck, and body made it clear this hasn't been easy for her. She was barely conscious in her chair, muttering madness to herself. But her eyes met his.

"Please, please. Get me out of here." She whispered to him.
Ruy pushed past the two women and began to undo her restraints. This was stupid. He was being ridiculous!
"Under whose authority is she allowed to-"
"Under mine. If you torture someone too much, they'll say anything to make it stop." Ruy leaned down to undo her ankle bindings.

"What's your name, blondie?" Ruy asked, glancing over his shoulder to the angry Neverseen women, packing up their torture tools. Her sentences weren't coherent but her did a name.
"...Amalia..."
Ruy stopped for only a moment. Funny, he could've sworn her name was human. Sophie or something. No, that's right. It was absolutely Sophie.

"Can you walk?" He asked. The Moonlark shook her head. He grunted, scooping her up into his arms as if she were a bride.

"Send for the healers. To her cell. I don't want anyone touching her while I'm away." Ruy snarled at the two women. The first one nodded, turning to leave, but the second grabbed her friend's shoulder.

"Our orders come straight from the top. Vespera herself."
Ruy tensed at his mother's name. The mere mention of Vespera has him going stiff backed and as quiet as the grave she promised to bury him into if he ever stepped out of line. But he glanced down to the shivering woman in his arms. She had to only be a little younger than him. She was a child soldier just like him.

"I've been in the order for 17 years. I hold the highest position beneath Vespera. And she is the woman who told me to hold back on her torture." The lie rolled straight off his tongue, and only grew stronger as he got into their faces.

"I'm half tempted to tell her exactly how you were resisting her orders." He growled. They both swallowed, not a single retort heard as they scrambled out the room. Ruy sighed, smiling slightly as he closed the door with his foot.

The girl was shaking in his arms. He remained quiet, carefully avoiding crowded hallways. But everywhere he turned, there seemed to be enemies. But finally, a hallway that was empty. He sped down the hallway, trying to calm his heart. Stupid, stupid, stupid. He is sacrificing everything for some pretty girl that is his enemy-
Alvar and Lilac turned into the hallway, the little girl babbling about the new Moonlark plush Alvar got for her birthday.

"Oh hey Ruy-" their words sputtered as he sped past them with a girl in his arms.
"Good talk, man!" Alvar called after him.
Finally, he arrived at her cell. It was dank, dark, and cold. But it was safe. He carefully set her down onto the cot, untangling her arms from around his shoulders. A gentle breeze flew through the bars above her sink, moonlight creating blocks of light against the stone walls. She shivered as the wind hissed over her wounds.

Clicking his tongue, he threw her his balled up cloak. He didn't even spare her a second glance or wait for her to unravel his cloak before he snapped her door shut behind him, loosing a breath. That was the only and last thing he would ever do for that girl.

~

Ruy jumped in his bed, sweat clinging to his forehead. His arm was pinned to the soft mattress beneath him by Sophie Foster draped across it. Her hair was no longer cropped short to her shoulders but grown to her waist.

Her bruises and cuts were gone, though the faint scars of them remained. Her breathing was steady, but it was like a song to him. The reminder that the beautiful woman swore her life to him as he did to her. But when he brushed aside the golden strands and cupped her cheek, he could still see the blue and purple painting her skin. Bruises from years ago, pain she has healed from. But pain he could've saved her from sooner.

Overwhelmed with a feeling of disgust in himself, he carefully slid out of bed and padded to the mirror. His lips were slightly swollen and his hair even more a mess than normal after Sophie's hands were in it. He should probably get a haircut now that he was looking at himself. It was getting a bit shaggy, even for him.

Combing it with his fingers, he grabbed his boots and a long sleeve training shirt. Sliding both on, he quietly slipped out of the bedroom. The sun hasn't even peaked over the horizon of the ocean yet, but he needed to go somewhere. Anywhere.

The early morning sung a gentle song, the birds beginning to chirp and the world waking up. Ruy stood in the dug out training area, the training dummies standing in an arc around him. With a quick flip of a switch, they began moving on their tracks. Ruy pulled his single sword, twirling his wrists as he readied himself.

Ducking beneath the dummies first attack, he sliced into the straw. He spun around the second dummy and swung downwards, bringing the sword onto their shoulder. He heard the clicking of the third dummy shooting against him and he blindly swung his sword behind him.

Severing its straw head from its body.

The straw lump dropped to the dirt floor, but it was still enough for Ruy to stumble back, shock settling in his bones. And his soldier training did not kick in for the final dummy which swung their staff at his back with a aching crack. Ruy's face collided with the floor, the training dummies grinding to a halt.

Ruy rolled over, the honey stained sky swirling above him. Ruy slid his arm over his eyes, blowing out a sharp breath.

"What happened there?" A familiar voice asked.
His eyes fluttered open to little bits of blond hair hanging over him, most of which was tucked into a braid that slung over his girlfriend's shoulder. Sophie gave him a little smile, holding out a hand. Ruy took it, Sophie easily pulling him to his feet.
"I don't wanna talk about it." Ruy grumbled. Sophie hummed, picking up the hay head and tossing it between her palms. Ruy turned away, snatching a white towel and wiping his neck. He leaned over the fresh basin of water, splashing it on his face and slicking back his hair.

"What are you doing training this early in the morning anyway? Normally you're helping Filomena in the kitchens and I'm the one training. But when I woke up you were no where to be found. You didn't even make your side of the bed." Sophie slid up behind him, wrapping her arms beneath his and gently squeezing.

"What's wrong, amore?" She muttered sleepily, resting her chin between his shoulder blades. Ruy sighed, spinning around and looking down at the Queen of Assassins. She still kept her arms wrapped around him, her eyes catching the sunrise in just the right light. Her lips were still slightly swollen from the night before, but just as inviting.

"It's nothing. Just a silly dream." Ruy smiled.
Sophie cocked an eyebrow, clearly not believing him. Ruy draped his arm over her shoulders, beginning to walk out of the training arena. But Sophie stopped him, her face serious.
"Ruy, what's wrong?" She insisted, her grip tightening. Ruy gently pressed his lips against hers, silencing her enough for them to both hear the birds song.

"I mean it. Nothing." Ruy whispered against her lips. Lines still creased between Sophie's brows, which melted away as he pressed his thumb against them.

"So, do you know what we wanna do for breakfast? Filomena isn't cooking this morning and I wanna go out." Ruy yawned, padding along the tiled walkway through Filomena's gardens. This part of the gardens had been left untended for quite a while, but it merely made Sophie and Ruy's barefoot stroll through it that much more enjoyable. The moss and vines crawled along the walls and twisted around the pillars and windows. The overgrown flower bushes and bolstering beautiful flowers scattered throughout the masses of green leaves.

"I wanna try that small bakery next the the canals. It's waterside so we can watch the boats going in and out." Sophie exclaimed, pointing to the general direction of the bakery. Ruy hummed in agreement, but his mind was still else where.

Sophie stopped right in front of the bakery, shuffling to the side of the road as to avoid traffic. She waved to a woman driving a horse drawn carriage, her puffy sleeves and elaborate wide brimmed hat only allowing them to see her neighborly smile.

"Alright Ruy, I'm being serious. What's going on?" Sophie asked. Ruy bit the inside of his cheek, staring around them.
"I just... keep thinking about you that cell."
Sophie scoffed. "Ruy, I've been in a lot of cells. We're Assassins, it's kinda in the job description-"
"No, Soph. I'm talking about that cell."
Sophie's face dropped, "Oh."
Ruy jumped as the hostess walked towards them, "Hey, we've got a table for two if you want to sit down."

The two of them held their tongues as they sat down and the waitress slid two waters in front of them. The bakery was bright with various pastries lining the glass display cases. A fire haired woman quietly worked behind the counter.

"Ruy, why are you thinking about that place?"
"I had a nightmare. And I watched as I took you from one of those torture sessions and I just left you in your cell. I just left you there-"
Ruy stopped as he stared at Sophie, who wore nothing but confusion on her beautiful features.
"You took me from that room?" She asked. Ruy blinked, awkwardly scratching his neck.
"You were pretty out of it, but yeah. A few days before that party Vespera held. You can imagine my dread when I was told to look after you during that party."
"I don't remember that at all."
"Again, you weren't doing too well
Sophie. I doubt you would even know this happened if I didn't tell you."
Sophie leaned back in her chair, casually picking up her menu. She perused the options, her face blank leaving Ruy reeling.

A part of him was hoping she would thank him for what he did, but he knew her better. Sophie knew he wasn't asking for a thank you.
"Why did you help me?" She asked.
Ruy shrugged, "I don't really know. But I've been feeling guilty ever since."
Sophie coughed, "Excuse me?
Heat flushed his face, "Wait, no! That's so not what I meant."
"I thought as much. Okay, you had a dream about the time you helped me out while I was in trouble. Wouldn't that make you feel valiant? Heroic? Uhhh, I don't know... manly?" Sophie, who was clearly not taking this seriously, batted her eyelashes. "Doesn't the fact that you saved the damsel in distress fulfill your princely duties?"

Ruy pushed the ice around in his drink with his straw, mumbling like a moody teenager.
"I just feel like I could've done more."
"You've already done more, Ruy. You helped us escape, you have been by my side as we fought. What more could you possibly do?"
"You were in there for a month. A whole damn month Sophie. And I let it happen!" Ruy exclaimed whispering stopped when Sophie gently placed her hand on his thigh. She only now realized what he was struggling with.
"Ruy, I hold no resentment towards you about what I endured in that dungeon. You did more then the average Neverseen member."
"How do you not hold resentment towards me Soph? After all I did?"
Her eyes widened, and she waved away the waitress who was approaching to take their order.
"Ruy, this isn't just about the torture, is it?"
Ruy rapped his knuckles against the table, swallowing down his shame enough to speak.
"I know I've apologized and you have forgiven me, but why did you do that? Why?"

Sophie was taken aback by the question. After all, it was a big question to ask over early morning breakfast. Sophie tapped her finger against her menu, no longer reading its contents. Ruy glanced out the open window, knowing he ruined their breakfast. To his surprise, she merely shrugged and smiled, "I see you from back then and you now as different people. You made an effort to change and repent for your mistakes. You've done nothing but been a great life partner to me and a crucial role in the rebellion against the Neverseen." Sophie jumped at the sound of a bird cooeing in the leafy brush next to them. A colorful bird poked its head out of the brush, hopping onto their table and running away with their loaf of bread.

The couple stared in shock, Sophie slumping in her seat in mourning of the load of goodness. The waitress awkwardly approached them "Are you ready to order now?" She meekly asked.

"Yeah. I'll take an order of pannetone with a black coffee and..." Sophie smiled at the waitress, "I'll take the same with a side of eggs."

They both watched her depart, and Ruy began, "I know we've talked about this before. But I just can't help it. I keep getting in my head and convincing myself that I failed you."
"Well then, you're telling yourself lies again Mr. Ignis." Sophie gestured around them, to the waking city of Renisanca.

"You did this. I did this. Our guild did this. And no one else could've done it in your place."

Sophie propped her feet in one of the other chairs opposite of them, "Now stop being insecure and enjoy our breakfast date, damn it."
Ruy laughed, "Fair enough, Blondie."

~

I'm not completely happy with how this turned out, but this is just to hold y'all over until I am situated in my new home.

Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!

_Sibylline_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 85 40
Lizzie (LDShadowLady) and Joel (SmallishBeans) moved into a Boarding School as batchmates. They had always liked each other, but they never confessed...
1.1K 65 35
Un mundo que está dividió en dos por una reja que nadie nunca a cruzado, el lado de Los Ángeles, y el lado de Los Demonios, uno de Los Ángeles más he...
101K 1.2K 21
This is your classic Percabeth meets mortals. I know it's cliche, but I really like reading these and I hope you do to!
47K 1.1K 17
Sold by her abusive father to a travelling circus at the age of ten, Isabelle Hale is forced to become a dancing doll, the title of her act. From roa...