Someone is always watching

By geek-on-a-leash

"Isn't it obvious hood? I've died once already." After that how can Jason stay away? Nerissa M Clare is a 22... More

Author's Note
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 42

79 4 2
By geek-on-a-leash

Sunday, Jason Blood's house

"Have you cleared your schedule?" Jason Blood asked Nerissa without looking up from his book, "I don't want any bat storming in."

"I have," she stared at him, "I brought the cloak back."

"It was a gift, from the demon, you do not give back gifts," Jason Blood snapped the book shut, "how are you feeling?"

"Like I've killed someone," she couldn't help but say, "I know a demon's life is a favored gain or whatever, but it doesn't change that I killed it."

"Indeed, John will not be joining us," he walked around his desk, "where's Thirteen?"

"In the kitchen, I think," she answered, "I understand her better."

"Do elaborate," he pushed the desk with ease and revealed a bullseye.

"I kind of hear her, like I turn her mewling into words, sort of."

"Sit down," he pointed at the armchair, "do exactly as I say."

"Okay."

"Take a deep breath, hold it in for 5 seconds then exhale," he instructed, "again."

Nerissa closed her eyes and inhaled for 5 seconds and exhaled for 5 others for what seemed to be forever. Every time she felt her frustration rising she heard Jason Blood's voice grounding her.

"Use the frustration and focus on your breathing, in and out, I'm going to ask you a question now, I want you to answer it the moment you feel lightheaded not a second before," he watched her breathing in and out, "what's your name?"

Nerissa kept breathing as steadily as possible. She started holding her breath for longer than 5 seconds, then for longer than 10, 15, when she reached 30 seconds she felt a little lightheaded.

"Nerissa Morgana Clare"

"How old are you?"

"22."

"Who am I?"

"Jason Blood, Knight of Camelot, possessed by Etrigan Prince of hell"

"Keep breathing," Jason Blood studied her for a minute, "where's Thirteen?"

"The fire escape of the west side building, on the fourth floor," Nerissa answered in the same tone she was using.

"What is she seeing?"

"A couple's fighting," Nerissa's eyes snapped open, "oh my god!"

"You shouldn't have broken the bond," he shook his head, "but now we know you can shift your consciousness into your cat's consciousness."

"This is super creepy!"

"Do refrain from the over use of the word 'creepy' as a lot of things you'll learn today might be considered eerie," Jason Blood couldn't hide his concern.

"What is it? Is this a skill only super evil witches have?"

"Not exactly," he reached for a book, "Klarion the witch boy for instance."

"Okay," Nerissa took the book and read about the witch boy, "oh, wow, he's such a brat."

"Well," Blood couldn't help the snort that escaped his lips, "that's certainly an interesting way to describe him. In his case however, the cat, Teekl is the source of his power which is why he can shift into it, unlike you. Your power is not connected to Thirteen, but it can connect you to her."

"How does that help us prevent the prophecies?"

"This helps us understand your power, which in turn might help us deal with the prophecies, we cannot prevent them," he kept his eyes steadily on hers, "do you understand that?"

"She said that clairvoyance isn't a 100% accurate, that things can change-"

"We will discuss this later, we have 5 days till the gala and you are untrained," he sighed, "I think I could cast a spell-"

"A control spell? Not a chance," Nerissa glared at him feeling her blood trembling in her veins.

"You need to be able to defend yourself, I don't have time to teach you basic hand to hand combat or-"

"I've been training with Orphan," she crossed her arms around her chest, "I'd like to think I've gotten pretty good."

"Have you been using weapons?"

"No, I can't exactly cut her with my hell blade now can I?"

"Hmm, I am destined to hell, and the demon is asleep, so the blade won't harm US," Jason Blood hummed and took a fighting stance, "you remind me of your mother."

"Can you not compare me to the woman who cursed me?"

"She didn't curse you, she had to make a choice you can't even begin to understand," he attacked her.

"There's always a choice," she ducked.

"Good, you have good reflexes."

"I was a pickpocket in the streets of Gotham for a long time; I had no other choice," she tried to attack him but couldn't, she didn't even notice the contradiction she just expressed.

"Relativity is an interesting thing," he grabbed her wrist and twisted it behind her back.

"I was a child, she was an adult," Nerissa struggled against his hold.

"She sacrificed her life for yours," he tightened his grip, "she died so you could live."

"She should get a refund, I died anyway," she kept struggling.

"You look pretty alive to me," Jason Blood grabbed her other hand when she tried to elbow his face and slammed her against the wall.

"I'm a walking target," she panted, trying to wiggle her way out of the restraints, her anger rising.

"Now you're a trapped target," he didn't want to use this against her, but he needed her to break free on her own, "aren't you, Morganna?"

"Hnn," she grunted as she twisted and turned against the wall.

"Who's going to help you out of this one Morganna?"

Nerissa knew what the knight was doing. He was trying to get under her skin, he was trying to anger her and it was working. When she was angry she teleported from Greenwich Village, NY, to Gotham City NJ, in an instant, when she was angry she killed a demon, when she was angry the earth trembled under her feet, when she was angry she pushed her cousin off her paralyzed body with sheer force of will.

"No one's going to help you Morganna."

"Morganna, No one can protect you but you," the voice had said.

"No one can help me, but me," she said through labored breaths, she felt her blood boiling, she felt each pulse point beating against the walls of her veins, she felt the anger coursing through her every cell. She focused on the anger and then gritted through her teeth, "get off."

And the knight went flying back to the other side of the room.

"Marvelous," he clapped from the floor, "truly, and you didn't even draw your weapon."

Nerissa was still breathing heavily, she was staring at the wall in front of her, how did she do that?

"How did I do that?"

"Anger is a trigger to your magic, anger is easily accessed, anger is dangerous if let loose," Jason Blood poured two glasses of Scottish Whiskey, "anger is the only tool we have considering time is not an ally."

"You want me to lose my shit at the gala?"

"No, I want you to channel you anger," he handed her a glass then turned to his record player and Tango music started playing, "now, I want you to dance with me."

"Dance?" Nerissa slowly turned to face him, what is wrong with this guy?

"It is a gala, there will be dancing," he offered her his hand, "lead."

Nerissa stared at him, she downed her drink and then lead the dance.

"Is your knife strapped in its holster?"

"It is," Nerissa let him spin her around.

"You're supposed to lead this dance," he kept moving, waiting for her to take back control, "lead."

"What about the knife?"

"Cut my leg with it," he followed with a thin smile on his face that quickly disappeared.

"It's too high up on my leg," she answered focusing on the music.

"Get creative," he could see the confusion on her face, "think."

Nerissa didn't know what to do. She asked to stop the dance to change the position of the knife, but the knight refused.

"Work with what you have," he said.

Another song started, and they kept dancing, they danced for hours and yet Nerissa hadn't figured out how to cut him.

"You're thinking too much," he mused.

"You told me to think," she huffed, surprisingly not out of breath.

"I didn't tell you to over think," he smiled and followed her into another spin, "at least you have kept the lead."

"Hmm," she continued dancing.

"How would you do it?"

"I can't do it if the knife is on the wrong side-"

"If the knife were on the right side, how would you do it?"

"Hmm," she thought, and danced.

The song was halfway through, and for a moment they locked eyes. Nerissa could see the deep sated fatigue in his eyes, he was old, centuries old. She could feel his worry, his genuine concern, but then there was something lurking deeper, something that burns like hell fire, she could feel the man and the demon together. She had to get out of her head and into the dance.

"And there it is," Jason Blood smiled when he felt her right leg wrapping itself around his left leg, a classic tango move.

"The knife will cut me too," she dropped her leg in a dance motion.

"No," he let her go, "there's an upside to being an immortal knight of Camelot."

"What's that?"

"The medieval armor Merlin had fashioned me then, is still mine," he turned to his wall and muttered words in a language Nerissa didn't understand, "magic laced in iron and leather."

Jason Blood took out iron and leather leg armor.

"Dealer's choice," he pointed

"Can I dance with these on my thighs?"

"That's why we train with both," he handed her the iron armor first and watched her wear it, "we see which is more comfortable for you."

"I need a different dress," she groaned, "and a proper cloaking spell, not that stupid one that John gave me-"

"Do not worry, as long as you need them invisible, they will be," he offered her his hand, "let's dance."

Monday Wayne Manor

"You should've talked to him before you decided," Dick rolled his eyes for the billionth time.

"I'm not the one who asked for the family portrait," Bruce retorted clearly sleep deprived and more irritable than usual.

"Neither did I, and I sure as hell am not the one who's exploiting this whole mess to benefit a case without being transparent with all parties," Dick snapped at him once more.

"It's not that simple and you know it-"

"Secrets tear families apart!" Dick all but yelled at Bruce.

"That's enough," Alfred came into the study before the fight could escalate, "I believe it's time for you to sit for your portrait Master Richard. Ms. Clare just arrived."

"Talk to Jason, and tell her the truth," Dick stormed out before he could hear what Bruce had to say.

Alfred just stood at the door, sighing, he shook his head and turned to leave.

"Ms. Kyle, always a pleasure," Alfred closed the door and left.

"Are you sure you're the world's greatest detective?" Selina came out of her hiding place.

"No one can win over Alfred," Bruce pinched the bridge of his nose and watched Selina locking the study's door.

"Uh-huh," she stalked towards the desk, "what was Richard talking about? What truth are you hiding now?"

"I can't tell her," Bruce shook his head, "I just can't."

"Is this about Carmine?" Selina sat in front of him on the desk.

"Yes," Bruce looked up at Selina.

"She is better off," she agreed, "but it's beyond imperative that you talk to Jason."

"I will-"

"It's a smart play, resurrecting Jason, outing their romance, making them both the talk of the town, extremely high profile socialite couple, Clarice wouldn't try anything," Selina read the case file, "but something could always go wrong."

"Will you come to the gala?"

"Would I ever miss a chance to steal from the high and mighty aristocratic socialite gothamites? Of course I'll be here," she leaned in and placed a teasing kiss on the bat's lips, "talk to your son, you've finally got him back."

"What would I do without you?"

"Hit your head against a wall. You should've reached out sooner, we have our issues, but Bat, I will always be here for you," she brushed her lips against his, "I love you Bruce."

"I love you Selina," Bruce kissed her back.

2 hours later

"Thirteen? Thirteen where the hell are you?" Nerissa was running after the cat, she could use the trick Jason Blood taught her, the one she practiced all night while waiting for Jason to come over after patrol last night. It was so much fun to lay in bed and see whatever Thirteen was doing.

"Meow"

"That's it, that's the last time you're coming here with me," Nerissa kept looking, she couldn't take over her cat's consciousness in the manor.

"Meow," I'm here.

"Where is here?" Nerissa huffed in frustration, great now they'll think I'm nuts.

"Meow"

Nerissa ran the manor about 3 times, she could hear the mewling of her cat but she couldn't find her. She really considered hiding in a bathroom and doing the shift in consciousness thing. She decided to check the ballroom where the painting was one last time before locking herself in a bathroom.

"There you are," Nerissa sighed in relief, Thirteen was in front of the painting almost hissing at a woman who was trying to unveil the canvas.

The woman, black hair, green eyes, really beautiful, is that Damian's mom?

"MEOW!"

"Come on kitty," the woman crouched down with a frown on her face.

"I never thought I'd see that," Dick came in laughing.

"Hi," Nerissa said awkwardly.

"Hello," Selina tried to pick up Thirteen but the cat kept hissing at her.

"Thirteen, that's enough," Nerissa glared at her cat then opened her arms and the cat jumped into them, please don't be Damian's mom, 'cause if you are I'm so punching you.

"That's very odd," Selina tilted her head, "cats usually love me."

"She's asocial, kind of like me," Nerissa forced at smile.

"Meow," she was trying to look under the sheet.

"I know, you're a good girl," Nerissa kissed the cat's head.

"Selina, this is Nerissa Clare," Dick felt the introduction was necessary, "Nerissa this is Selina Kyle."

Not Damian's mom.

"Nice to meet you," Nerissa and Selina shook hands.

"Can't I sneak a peek?" Selina asked in a teasing tone, her head motioning to the canvas.

"The big reveal is on Friday," Nerissa looked almost apologetic, "you'll have to wait like everybody else."

"Only Damian has seen it," Dick concurred.

"You want me to believe Bruce hasn't managed to-" Selina asked in disbelief.

"It's Alfred protected," Dick grinned.

"You could take a look at the individual pieces," Nerissa suggested.

"Where's the fun if there's permission?" Selina batted her lashes.

"Catwoman I presume," Nerissa said before she could stop herself, "I'm sorry, I-"

"Smart, pretty and talented, no wonder you've got them all wrapped around your finger," Selina grinned, "I'll try to wait till Friday. See you later kittens."

Selina left. She even walked with the grace of a cat.

"Oh my god! That was a supervillain," Nerissa turned to Dick who was trying to look under the sheet, she slapped his hand away, "stop it."

"OUCH!" Dick pouted, "don't worry, she's in a very good mood if you know what I mean."

"EW! Wait, does that mean Bruce is in a good mood too?"

"I don't know, Selina looked down right gleeful, so she probably just frustrated-"

"EW! EW! EW! Stop talking!"

Dick laughed, hard and loud.

"Have you seen Jason?" Bruce came in and startled both Nerissa and Dick.

"No, I came by cab," Nerissa answered, "he said he'll take me home later."

"I need to talk to the both of you," Bruce said without looking at Dick.

"Is everything okay?" Nerissa asked worried.

"Yes, we just need to discuss a few things for the gala-"

"I don't see why I should be involved in that particular conversation," Nerissa glanced at Dick for help, "I mean it'll just delay the fight-"

"What fight?" Jason asked appearing out of thin air.

"The one you and Bruce are going to have," Nerissa couldn't stop help but say, she found herself being stared down by 3 pairs of different shades of blue eyes, utter shock, disbelief and some amusement, "sorry."

"Meow," seriously? You need duct tape on that mouth.

"I'm going to go," Nerissa tried to leave.

"We're not going to fight," Bruce said convincingly.

"Because I got a genius idea," Jason agreed.

"You're going to let B legally resurrect you?" Dick asked hopeful, but he could see in Jason's eyes that it wasn't that.

"Nope," Jason grinned and popped the 'p' loudly.

"I don't like this," Bruce said.

"You don't have to like it, she does," Jason pointed at Nerissa.

"What's the plan?" Nerissa asked almost out of patience.

"You do another painting without me in it," Jason said with utter pride.

"What?" Bruce and Dick snapped at him.

"Is this really what you want?" Nerissa would do a hundred paintings if it meant Jason would be happy. But there wasn't any time.

For some reason, the way she asked him the question made Jason's decision falter in his mind. He'd come up with the best solution he could think off. Sure it would mean Nerissa would have to work super-fast and nonstop to finish the new painting but he wasn't ready to be thrown back into the Wayne mess.

"I'll do a hundred more paintings if it's what you really want," Nerissa walked up to him.

Bruce and Dick were talking, but neither Jason nor Nerissa were listening.

"I can't," Jason looked at her and only her, completely ignoring Bruce and Dick, "it was a mess the first time around."

"It's your decision," Nerissa could feel Bruce's anger, disappointment, regret, grief, god for an emotionally constipated idiot he sure has a lot of feelings to project, and the self-loathing she was used to receive from Jason was nothing compared to the one she was getting from Bruce.

"I'm sorry, but I can't," Jason looked at Bruce this time, "I'm not him."

I'm not the son you lost, went unsaid.

"Hey, it's your choice," Nerissa took his hands into hers, "we'll just have to cancel the movie tonight."

"I don't want you to over work yourself-"

"Puh-lease, I'm an art student, I'm more procrastinator than human," she joked but it wasn't well received, "I don't mind."

Bruce felt a lump in his throat; he wasn't going to make her redo the whole painting without Jason in it. He wanted his son back, sure it wasn't the right way to do it, but the painting wasn't his idea to begin with. Bruce had to improvise the whole plan due to the circumstances.

"You're my son," Bruce walked up to him and saw Nerissa almost protectively shielding Jason from him, "nothing will ever change that."

"I'm not him," Jason shook his head and let go of Nerissa's hand, "not anymore."

"You are you, and you are Jason Peter Todd-Wayne, my son, then, now, and forever," Bruce put both hands on Jason's shoulders, "do you understand that?"

Nerissa took the hint and started walking away with Dick, they needed privacy.

"Bruce," Selina came rushing back, "Bruce."

"What is it?" Bruce and Jason asked in the same snappish manner that usually would've made Selina smile and call them adorable twins, but not now.

"I need a word," Selina said casually.

"I'm in the middle of something," Bruce nodded towards Jason

"Waylon called," Selina discretely glanced at Nerissa, as if to tell Bruce that they couldn't talk in front of her.

"What does he want?" Dick asked curious and suspicious.

"Bruce," Selina insisted.

"Just go," Jason shrugged, "I wanted to eat anyway."

"Don't leave before we talk," Bruce waited for Jason's nod before he walked away with Selina, "what is it?"

"He found bodies in the sewers," she answered in hushed tones.

"Who's Waylon?" Nerissa asked Dick and Jason.

"Killer Croc," Dick answered.

Nerissa felt her blood run cold, Killer Croc found bodies in the sewers, the prostitutes' bodies, the victims of the incubus she killed.

"-babe? Are you okay?"

Was that Jason's voice?

"Nerissa, you're really pale, what is it?" Jason was helping her to the nearest couch.

"What?" Nerissa was startled when Thirteen jumped in her lap.

"Meow," keep it together.

"Are you okay?"

Nerissa looked at Jason who was kneeling in front of her, worry written all over his beautiful face.

"I'm sorry, I zoned out," she admitted feeling heat creeping up her cheeks.

"It's okay," Jason smiled and took one of her hands.

"I'll redo the painting, I don't mind," she could see how his eyes turned from worry, to warmth, then to grief, "I just want you to be okay."

"I'm fine," he shrugged his shoulders carelessly, "I just hope he has a good cover for my comeback."

"He'll understand if you're not ready," she cupped his face with both hands, "he's your dad."

"I'm not the son he lost," Jason tried to push her hands away, his voice dropped in pain, "he needs to realize that."

"He does, but let him embrace the son he got back," she whispered, before Jason could say anything, "you deserve that chance, allow yourself to be happy. Please."

Alfred was watching.

AN: I am so sorry for not updating in so long!

This is my first ever fic! This story is my baby and I seriously love it but for some reason I just couldn't focus on writing it! I hope I'll go back to a more 'normal' pace of updates for it!
I hope you guys keep reading!! Vote and comment!!
-K

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64 0 4
Spending one summer each year in Gotham was the agreement. Having to come back and live there permanently was another story. Your trouble-free life a...
162K 5.7K 31
Damian Al Ghul has been sent on a mission by his mother, Talia Al Ghul in order to prove his worth to her and his grandfather as a suitable heir to t...
496K 15.9K 37
Julianne Cress is a foster kid, one that always jumped from home to home, so she's an expert in keeping under the radar and being unnoticed. At her...
17.1K 407 18
Moving from a rural town to Gotham would definitely be a challenge. No family, no friends. Olivia Devlin, a 16 year old girl with nothing but a lugga...