Daughter Of Twilight (Complet...

By JessicaPowell481

š—” š—ŗš˜†š˜€š˜š—²š—暝—¶š—¼š˜‚š˜€ š—Æš—¼š˜† š—³š—暝—¼š—ŗ š—µš—²š—æ š—±š—暝—²š—®š—ŗš˜€. š—” š—°š—¹š—¼š—®š—øš—²š—± š—³š—¶š—“š˜‚š—暝—² š˜€š˜š—®š—¹š—øš—¶š—»š—“... More

Cover
Blurb
Acknowledgment
Please Read before continuing!!
Maps
Races, Spells, and Creatures
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thiry-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Thirteen

68 11 35
By JessicaPowell481

We hurried down the corridors, following the men. Lilith had tried to convince me to stay in my room, but there was no way in Hell I could sit there and rest while Isaac was suffering. I ignored the dull ache in my leg and my stomach twisted into knots as we neared Isaac's room.

Please let him be okay... We reached his door, and Lilith paused. She looked at me, conflicted. I knew she didn't want me to see what was on the other side of that door. The suspense was slowly killing me. It can't be that bad... Can it? I gave her a determined look, and she gave in.

With a deep breath, Lilith opened the door. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. My heart sank into the pits of my stomach.

Dark red blood stained the white sheets of his bed, as well as multiple towels strewn across the floor. Books laid half-haphazardly in a pile on his desk and notes with various pictures of herbs. The healers didn't know what they were doing. Panic sank deep into my soul as I looked back at Isaac. He laid as still as a statue on the bed. His body was covered in bandages and drenched in sweat. The dressing on his shoulder had soaked through but something about it didn't look right. Getting closer, I noticed the veins down his arm had turned black along with a part of his shoulder that wasn't covered.

"They were attacked by Raven Stalkers." Lilith wavered, relaying what I had told her to the healers. She walked up to Isaac and sat next to him, brushing the wet hair from his face. "My poor boy..." Tears streamed down her cheeks as her face contorted in sorrow.

I turned to the healers. "Isn't there anything you can do to stop it?"

The healers frowned, and one of the elderly men stepped forward, his wrinkled face looked up at me with regretful eyes. "Raven Stalkers are incredibly poisonous. Their venom seeps into the body and kills everything it touches. Since the bite is on Isaac's shoulder, it's only a matter of days before it reaches his heart. What we can do is end his suffering," he stated grimly.

My heart stopped. "No! No, no..." My knees buckled. The man helped me to the chair next to Isaac's desk. "Is there no anti-venom? No magic to cure it?"

Lilith cut in. "There used to be a spell. Years ago, there was an outbreak in Bellanshire. My guards and I fought and killed every last one that had fled the forest. So many people died but with the help of another Magi, we managed to create a spell to pull the poison out so that healing herbs could fix the damage."

"What's the spell? Surely we have time to perform it?" I asked frantically. There was a way to save him!

She cried harder and shook her head. "All copies were destroyed in a raid on the cathedral! The occultist destroyed every last page and all research regarding it and they stole the book I had in my private study."

Anger replaced sadness. I had heard enough about them. They terrorized this beautiful country and for what? What reason could they possibly have? Lilith stood, quickly wiping her tears as she composed herself. Her face hardened and a fire burned in her eyes. Her hands glowed and I watched in awe as Isaac was lifted from the bed.

"Mistress, what are you doing?" One of the healers asked nervously.

"Abscondeo!" Shimmering water shot from her hands and slowly encased Isaac in a bubble. Lilith then passed her hand over him and mumbled, "Habitus. Buying us some time. I need to find where they are hiding and get my book back. Isaac is not dying at the hands of those monsters!"

She started towards the door, but I stopped her. Her blazing amber eyes narrowed at me. "I know where they are hiding! When I woke up, I was in Ravenwood Manor!" I blurted out.

Lilith's eyes widened in shock at the revelation for a moment, before quickly shaking her head. "They would have moved by now. Do not worry, I will find them and I will bring Isaac back to us. Healers, come with me." She gently touched my cheek in reassurance then left silently with the healers.

I recalled the house I woke up in. It was heavily lived in, and they seemed comfortable. What if they didn't move? What if they were still there? The book could be there...

"Mistress, we should get you back to your room. You need rest to recover." Ember gently guided me out of the room. I looked back at Isaac. He still floated motionlessly above his bed in the bubble. Lilith had said it would buy them time. But how much? My stomach thirsted into knots at the thought of losing Isaac. I had only just gotten to know him better. How long has it been since I found myself here? I have to get back to Ravenwood. I have a feeling the book was there.

It has to be.

"Have you ever seen the book Lilith mentioned, Ember?" I asked tentatively.

She nodded. "Oh, yes. It was a big black tome with a raven on it. Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering," I said. I knew I had to get back to the manor and find it. What if it was there? Lilith was never going to look, and Isaac... He can't die! It was my fault he got bitten. I have to do something! Ember eased me onto my bed and called up for some food. She told me to rest and eat so that I could get better. But I wasn't planning on sleeping.

A few hours passed and the castle began to settle. I got up, ignoring the pain my sore body was screaming at me. Getting out of bed took more effort than I thought it would. Night had fallen and the moon filled the halls with an eerie blue light. Steady orange flames flickered from the sconces on the wall. It was still hard to see, so I lit my hands up and with a quick whisper, soft light filled my palms, illuminating the area around me.

I crept low and quickly made my way down the corridor and towards the main entry. I heard voices coming from one passage, and promptly panicked before hiding behind one of the many suits of armor. Two guards emerged into view, laughing as they patrolled the castle. Once they left, I let out the breath I was holding and made my way towards the library. I passed Lilith's office, the door was left ajar. I wouldn't have stopped if what caught my eye didn't intrigue me. Lilith was performing some kind of spell, and from the looks of it, it was a big one. She stood in the middle of the room, a strange symbol drawn on the floor, a seven-pointed star encased in a circle.

She took a knife from a jewel-encrusted box and sliced her palm. What kind of spell is that? I wondered as I watched her squeeze her palm over a bowl of various crystals.

"Duas stellas inter se colliduntur," she chanted, the crystals starting to glow and a bright light erupted, filling the room. I backed away, deciding it wasn't my business to eavesdrop.

"Domum... Terra."

Terra? I paused, brows furrowed in confusion. I've heard that word before. Many times, in fact. It was one of the words whispered to me whenever I heard the voices back home. What did it mean?

I bit my lip. I couldn't worry about it now; I had a job to do. Isaac needs me. I hurried down the last corridor and entered the dark library. I felt a sharp pang of longing like a knife through the heart as memories of the time I spent here with Isaac danced across the space, like ghosts of my memories.

The moon hung high and peered at me through the large windows which overlooked the gardens. I would probably need to stop by there and gather ingredients. I needed to take as many notes as I could as well.

I studied all night. I pulled countless books off the shelves and took notes on many different spells I could use. Whether I could actually perform any of them, I did not know but this was the only way I thought of to help. I had to get the book to save Isaac.

Before leaving the library, I pulled out two small dusty scrolls from one of the shelves—a map of Listra and of Arvora. I would need them to find my way out of the city and into Raven's Pass. No way was I going to attempt to go through the forest.

Sneaking back to my room was a lot easier than getting to the library. I tossed my notes on my bed and began pouring over them. Magic wasn't hard to understand, and there weren't many spells. For a country that has used magic for so long, there is still very little knowledge about its practices. That might be because only one Magi is born every other generation, but I had found a few useful ones. I scanned over the map of Listra. It was a big city with many allies and side streets; three different gates out of the town, the main gate out front and then two side gates. They will be guarded, so I will have to leave before they lock up at night.

After half an hour of planning the route out of the city, my eyelids began to droop. My body ached from all the running today. I cleared my bed, placed the research in the trunk, and passed out.

The following day, Ember woke me up with breakfast, and the healers came to check on my wounds. Magic can't fix everything, and it's better to let the body heal naturally in some cases. They healed a couple more of the minor cuts and tried to heal the burn on my arm but were unsuccessful. Strange, I wonder why it won't heal. Ember helped me get dressed.

"Hey, Ember... Does the palace have a stable?" I asked.

"There is. It's where we keep the Engii. They are similar to earth's horses," she replied, cleaning up the plates from dinner and gathering my dirty laundry.

"Can I learn to ride one? I've ridden horses before, and it would help take my mind off of Isaac..."

"Are you sure? Your leg is still healing, and you really should rest. Engii can be difficult and very stubborn. I wouldn't want you getting hurt." she shifted nervously.

"Okay... can I at least see them? I can help groom them." First, I need to know where the stables are. There's no way I can make it to the manor on foot. She nodded and motioned for me to follow her.

"You need to promise me that you won't ride them. I have a lot of work to do, and I can't babysit you." She led me down the hall and through a door that led to a cramped hallway. It was dusty and looked so different from the rest of the palace. The windows were small and were the only source of light. Wooden beams lined the ceiling. It was very attic-like and really stuffy.

"Where are we?" I asked, waving the dust out of my face. We turned a tight corner and went down a steep staircase.

"This is the staff pathway. Everyone travels in these to get throughout the whole castle. It also provides a safe, hidden escape in case the castle is ever attacked."

So that's why I never see any other maids around here. We entered a large room, the smell of lilac and lavender hit my face. The room was filled with women and a couple men. They busied themselves with cleaning the giant pile of laundry in the far corner. The floor was wet from the sloshing of water and soap of the large tubs which sat on long tables. They all mumbled their greetings to Ember and eyed me curiously. Ember waved dismissively at them and pulled me through a door that led outside. The sun beamed down on me, making me squint from the brightness.

We entered a small courtyard with a fountain in the middle. Across was a set of large wooden barn doors. The area wasn't familiar to me. I had no idea how I would get here without going through the same walkway Ember took me. Hopefully, the other maids won't mind me passing through later.

She pulled me through the large wooden barn doors. The smell of hay and manure filled my nose. But it barely phased me as I gazed at the magnificent beast before me.

Ember had said they were like earth's horses, but she couldn't have been more off. They were massive steeds varying in different shades of blue. Their long white manes fell in gentle waves down their thick necks and they had long elegant antlers. They were more elk-like than a horse. How had I not noticed these pulling the carriages? I walked along the stalls, and they watched me with big round black eyes. Ember went ahead to talk with the stable boy who was shoveling dried grass into the stalls before leaving.

The boy eyed me cautiously as he resumed his work. "If you want to groom them, the brushes are over there. Be careful though, they can be stubborn." He pointed to a display in the corner where various tools and cleaning supplies hung. I found a brush I liked and approached the stalls nervously. They were enormous and intimidating. They snorted and dragged their feet into the dirt as I got closer.

If I can bond with one, maybe it won't fight as much when I leave, I thought. I scanned each one and settled on the last one near the door. Its eyes shined brightly as it lowered its head to sniff my hand.

"That one's Belle. She's the Mistress' favorite. Be gentle, or she'll bite." He warned, stepping into one of the empty stalls to clean it.

"Hey Belle, how are you?" I cooed, slowly opening the gate and stepping inside. Belle shifted with unease as I stepped up onto the stool. Her blue fur was soft as I ran the brush over her back. She was slightly smaller than the others and had white speckled dots on her hip. A sense of calm overcame me as I worked. Belle turned her head and blew into my ear. Her breath tickled my neck, and I giggled.

A couple hours passed before I finally finished. Belle laid down, taking snacks from my hand. You aren't so bad. I smiled and gently stroked her neck.

Ember soon came to take me to lunch. I ate with a very frazzled Lilith. She seemed so stressed out and looked like she had been studying all night. I was worried about her. The occultist had really struck a chord this time.

At the gardens, I picked up what I needed, along with the healing herbs just in case, and headed back to my room. My body ached, and my leg throbbed. Riding was going to be difficult with it, but it was much better than walking. I gathered my research and packed lightly. I didn't know how long it would take for me to get to the manor, but I didn't plan on idling. Strengthening my resolve, I hoisted my bag over my shoulder and made my way to the stables.

It was evening and the sun had started to set. Luckily the maids didn't mind me passing through, though they did shoot me curious looks. Thankfully, I didn't run into Ember. I could almost hear her voice scolding me in my head. I was scared. Journeying out into this world alone is dangerous; I didn't know much about Arvora, only what I have seen. Going back to the manor brought up uncomfortable memories. I didn't want to see those people again. I looked up at the sky and silently prayed to the goddess. I hope I don't screw this up.

I cautiously opened the stable door and peeked inside. There was no sign of the stable boy. I let out a sigh of relief, which startled the Engii. I quickly stepped in and carefully waved my arms in an attempt to calm them down. I caught the attention of Belle. The beast stood up and huffed. The others relaxed instantly.

"Hey girl, do you mind if we go somewhere?" I asked as I opened the gate. She gracefully stepped out and nudged my shoulder. I gently stroked her nose. Her size still intimidated me. I looked around for any riding equipment and spotted something that resembled a bridle. Looking over the confusing harness, I approached Belle and attempted to guide it on. But surprisingly, Belle did most of the work. She seemed to guide my hands and the straps. I looked up in wonder.

Once the bridle was fitted, I slung the lead over her head and laid it against her back. I couldn't see any saddles, and I wondered if they were meant to be ridden bareback. I attempted to get up onto Belle, but she huffed and walked away from me, making me fall on my butt. Now you want to be stubborn?! But the thought quickly vanished as Belle nudged a closed door and then turned to look at me.

"What's in there, girl?"She backed away and stomped her foot as I approached the door. Nerves fluttered in my stomach as I peeked into the room. It was a closet... with saddles. Disappointed, I continued into the small space. Only I would get hyped up about a mysterious door shown to me by a magical creature that just turned out to be a storage closet. The saddles were much like ones on earth and were pretty straightforward as far as I could tell. I picked the one that was under Belle's name and closed the door. Belle had gone back to her stall and came back with a blanket in her mouth. There was a humorous glint in her eye as she looked at me.

I flushed red in embarrassment. "I'm new to this, okay? Give me a break!" I grabbed the blanket out of her mouth and folded it. It was soft and light, like her fur. Standing on the stool, I fastened the saddle onto her and then tried to step up. But ended up on the floor, my leg throbbed, and my back hurt. I groaned and Belle shook her head and knelt down to my level.

"Thank you. You're much bigger than what I'm used to..." I climbed up on her and hooked my feet into the stirrups, holding onto the lead as she got up. The saddle stayed in place, meaning it was tight enough. I could feel how strong she was as she moved under me. I could feel her breathing and the steady beating of her heart.

"Alright, girl, try to take it easy now. I need to get out of the city." I said, and She bolted from the stables. I held on tight as she galloped through the courtyard and passed several structures, holding my hood over my head as the air wiped around us. Soon we made it to the castle gates. The guards were shocked by the incoming steed and dove out of the way as we charged through them. Belle didn't seem to need much guidance. She knew her way through the city.

Belle slowed down as we made our way through the streets of Listra. The city was starting to wind down. The sun was setting along the horizon now. We needed to hurry if we were going to catch the gate before it closes at twilight. We passed the tavern Isaac and I went to, and my heart ached. I missed him so much. We had just gotten closer, and now he was dying. Tears threatened to drop from my eyes. I clung onto Belle and tried to compose myself. This was not the time to cry. I needed to focus. I squeezed my legs around Belle, encouraging her to speed up, and she did. We raced down the streets towards the edge of town.

I heard a guard shouting to close the gate. The sun had disappeared over the horizon, and the sky lit up purple. Electricity shot across the sky in an ever-expanding web until it disappeared over the horizon. What was that? I had never seen that before. Does that happen every night?

"We need to get past that gate! Show me what you can do, Belle." I whispered in her ear, and I held on tight. She snorted in response and picked up the speed. I kept my head down as we raced towards the gate. There were shouts ahead of us. The guards noticed us! I buried my face in her fur to hide, and we just barely made it through before the gates closed off entirely. The whole world opened up before us, the yells fading into the background.

I had never felt so alive.

©2021 Jessica Powell. All Rights Reserved 

*****Thank you to my wonderful Editor Arco*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

492 78 25
"Save the world, and join the fight, or else the entire world will die tonight. Take up arms, protect your neck, or else it'll be you who is another...
Wolf Bite || BL By Nic

Mystery / Thriller

1.1K 140 95
Monday, August 1 Dear Isaac, if you're reading this, that means you've turned eighteen. Congratulations, I'm so proud of you. I hope you had a great...
455K 26.9K 54
ā‚Š āŪŖŪŖą½“ą½».;:ą­­Ģ„. š€ šƒš‘š€š†šŽš š‹šŽš•š„ š’š“šŽš‘š˜ ׂׂׂׂą«¢ą¼‹ą¼˜ąæ Laura St...
6.3K 1.1K 62
|| Ɨ2 FEATURED || When the ever-skittish, homesick, twelve-year old Fralith accidentally-on-purpose stops a kidnapping, no one knows what to think--e...