SHORT CIRCUIT ─ the mandalori...

By astrxids

haven't you taken enough from me? [ the mandalorian season 2 ] din djarin x daughter!oc cover by @potter_spel... More

SHORT CIRCUIT
GRAPHIC GALLERY
GRAPHIC GALLERY II
EPIGRAPH
PROLOGUE
( ACT I : DEFENDER )
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
( ACT II : PROTECTOR )
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
AFTERWORD

TWENTY-FOUR

752 33 12
By astrxids

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

THE DAMNED

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

TESS WAS CONFUSED.

She didn't often admit this, especially not to herself, but as the night sky closed in like an ebony blanket and she continued to sit with her hands in her lap, the girl allowed a sliver of uncertainty to crawl into her unfeeling chest.

The world around her was hazy and foreign, a light fog enveloping the barren trees of Corvus. The night sky was glittering with stars barely visible. The only light came from the planet's moon, high above and shadowed so that it looked like a glowing blur. A lamp burned dimly beside her, it's yellow light pouring from the cage as if it were liquid gold.

Usually, Tess hated nights like this. Nights where everything was quiet and dark, all creatures asleep and having dreams which brought them comfort. Tess had always loved the sunsets, where the burning star would be eclipsed and let's it's molten illumination sweep over the plains of Tatooine like a storm.

But... Tess hated what came after dusk.

It was ironic, the girl thought as she watched the Jedi named Ahsoka Tano peer at the little green child, that everything she loved was somehow always overtaken by something she hated.

Her life with her parents and the Imperial occupation.

Jo and the Marshal in Mos Pelgo and everyone else in that town.

Leaving with the Mandalorian and... having to say goodbye.

Tess gulped down the lump rising in her throat. Her head turned slightly, eyes peering through the darkness to see the faint outline of the Mandalorian far away from them. She knew he was looking over at them, and could see him pacing back and forth, arms crossed over his beskar clad chest. Tess clenched her jaw, the worry radiating off him fissuring inside her own heart. She reached a hand up to rub the spot over the bleeding, bruised ball that keeps her alive.

It was as if a rope had been pulled, taut and unflinching, yanking her forward, with no signs of releasing. That was her power, she knew. It was the divine force that has wormed its way inside her, lighting her bones, trying to burn her from the inside out. Tess gulped, her hands shaking as she looked over to Ahsoka, who still stared at the child.

There was something happening between them, but Tess could not see what. She more so felt it. Like a shimmer of water spilt over her head, just a taste of what was really going on. All she knew was that it had something to do with the power, and that she was not strong enough to see it.

It burned her chest, causing an ache to ricochet under her skin. Tess had always wanted to be the best at everything. To know everything. To be everything. And in these last few weeks, the Universe had tried it's very hardest to show her that was impossible. Yet still, the girl persisted, and it continued to wear her down.

Tess massaged the muscles between her thumb and forefinger. The only sound she could hear was her own breathing, like rough stone against sand. She looked back over to where the Mandalorian still paced away. The child beside her cooed, and Tess looked back, noticing Ahsoka was looking at her and smiling. Instantly, Tess bristled, her shoulders gone tense, but saw there was no threat in the woman's eyes. In fact, there was a light of something different, something the opposite of threatening.

This made Tess tense even more. She wasn't used to meeting people that wanted to help her.

The child reached out his small arms and peered at Ahsoka, who gave a slight nod and stood, heading towards the child. Immediately, Tess got up from her spot, biting down through the pain that grasped at her metal leg, and went in front of the child, keeping him away from the woman.

"What are you doing?" she asked bluntly, her tone harsh, like a stab in the gut. Ahsoka didn't even flinch. Her smile was still on her face, and her eyes softened as she looked down at the girl.

"You've got a fire inside of you, young one." the woman said simply, and Tess frowned. That wasn't an answer to her question.

"I said..." Tess tried to speak again. "What are you doing?" Ahsoka took a step closer, and Tess took a step back. The child peeked from behind her leg. Ahsoka cocked her head to the side quizzically, her eyes burrowing under Tess' skin. A thousand insects crawled through her flesh, and the girl flinched.

"You don't need to be afraid." Ahsoka said. "I'm not going to hurt him." Ahsoka's strange coloured eyes met Tess' rage-filled ones, and it was as if two worlds collided the moment they made complete eye contact. "Or you."

Tess scoffed, but she looked down to her feet, breaking the contact. Ahsoka peered at Tess over her nose. She was a slight girl, built of all sharp edges and right angles. Her features were cut from stone, and she rested in her body as if the skin and muscle were simply extra. She looked as if she wanted nothing more than to be only a skeleton.

But there was something else. Yes, Ahsoka could sense it. A power radiated off her, built from the anguish of the girl's childhood, of her past. Forged in the storms of emotion, Ahsoka could not linger in Tess Oprin's aura for long. Anger, hatred, and rage flickered beneath her, and it disrupted the older woman's senses. Beneath Tess' foolish attempt at becoming as unfeeling as possible, she'd pushed down all the darkness, culminating in a knot, a fused core that could explode at any moment. Ahsoka didn't even want to think of what could occur if that happened.

"I don't believe you." Tess finally said out loud. "What do you want?"

Ahsoka sighed, her hands clasped under her large cloak. Tess did not back down. She narrowed her eyes. "All will be explained soon."

Tess blanched. "So nothing will be explained."

"Have patience."

"What were you doing with the child?" Tess demanded. "Earlier. It was as if you both zoned out."

"Tess." His voice was the only thing that stopped the girl from falling into a tirade. Tess pulled up short, her shoulders hunched, but she forced her head to turn to see the Mandalorian walking towards her. He had his arms at his side, but his whole body was tense, and he looked at no one else but the Tatooinian girl.

Tess bit the inside of her cheek until her teeth broke the skin and the salty tang of hot blood filled her senses. The Mandalorian came up to stand beside her, resting a hand just above her wrist, gripping it tightly. Whether he was meaning to comfort her or keep her from launching herself at Ahsoka, she didn't know. But she was grateful for it, no matter what.

Din saw Tess on the verge of cracking, and could see the weight of meeting Ahsoka taking a toll on her. Hell, he thought wryly, it was taking a toll on him. The Mandalorian carefully pulled Tess closer to him, and they moved out of the way for Ahsoka to step forward and scoop the child into her arms. Both the people in front of her stiffened a little, then relaxed when they saw the bright smile on the green creature's face.

Tess and Mando watched cautiously as Ahsoka gestured for them to sit. She did the same, and rested the child between her and the Mandalorian, Tess on his other side. It took the girl several tries before she found a comfortable position, the Mandalorian holding onto her arm as she tried to hide the wince as a spasm rose up her leg.

Ahsoka watched the interaction, saying nothing, eyes pausing over the mechanical device that took up Tess' calf. It reminded her of someone she'd known long ago, someone who also had a piece of metal as one of their limbs. The memories brought a sour taste to her mouth.

"Is he speaking?" The Mandalorian broke the silence as Tess kept her hands in her lap, her dark hair falling over her eyes like a curtain. That same power tugged at the base of her neck, pulling her backwards over the edge of a cliff she couldn't see. "Do you... understand him?"

There's a beat of silence, then Ahsoka replied. "In a way." Tess didn't like that answer. "Grogu and I can feel each other's thoughts."

Tess' whole body froze. Mando could feel her stiffen under his hand, and he swore he could feel the cold seeping through his gloves. They both turned to Ahsoka. Tess' look was incredulous, her eyebrows scrunched, her face, for once, showing a hint of emotion under her cold irises. Ahsoka pursed her lips. Everything about this girl was cold, calculated. A perfect paradox.

"Grogu?" Both Tess and Mando spoke at the same time. At that moment, the child turned, his ears tilting upwards.

"Yes." Ahsoka replied. "That's his name." Her statement left silence in its wake. Both Tess and Mando wore the same confused, awed expressions, but only one was visible.

Mando shifted and stared down at the child. "Grogu?" He spoke hesitantly. The creature cooed and peered up at him, clearly responding to Mando's words. Tess raised an eyebrow.

"What else did you..." Tess started, and waved a hand about the air as if to mimic the powers. "See?"

"He was raised at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Many Masters trained him over the years." Ahsoka answered. "At the end of the Clone Wars when the Empire rose to power, he was hidden." Tess pushed her hair behind her ears. "Someone took him from the Temple. Then his memory becomes... dark.'' There was a tug in Tess' chest, and she looked down to the child, who hung his head. "He seemed lost. Alone." the way Ahsoka said those words, the way she spoke in a languid, dulcet tone caused Tess to clench her fists. Alone. A horrible word, one that seemed to define her life for so long. One that caused her so much pain.

"I've only known one other being like this." Ahsoka continued. "A wise Jedi Master named Yoda." At the name, the older woman smiled sadly, and Tess, who'd become good at seeing through people, knew there was something more to Ahsoka, something she wished to stay hidden. But the girl didn't ask what it was. She too had her secrets, and knew how hard it was to reveal them to others.

"Can he still wield the Force?" Ahsoka asked, and that was when the tug became a harsh pull. Tess' eyes trained on the Togruta, her frown hardening as the word spiraled around her head, repeating repeating repeating until it was all she could hear.

"The...." she tried to speak, but her throat had started to close up. "The Force?" It left a bitter taste on her tongue. Ahsoka nodded, her eyes widening as she took in the state of the girl. One moment, she'd been poised like a statue, unreadable, the next, she had unwoven like a thread of yarn, pooling to the floor. What was only a hunch became a discovery for Ahsoka Tano, and she raised her head, biting her lip.

"You mean his powers?" The Mandalorian spoke up.

"Well..." the woman replied. "Now I see. It's their powers." Tess tried to hide her shaking hands. Her healed chest began to ache as Ahsoka stared at her.

"What..." she started, voice weak. "What is it?"

Ahsoka obliged. "The Force is what gives you your powers." She spoke to all three of them. "It is an energy field created by all living things." Ahsoka paused. "To wield it takes a great deal of training and discipline."

"But," Tess started, her voice barely a whisper. "I've never had any training." Ahsoka did not respond to this, simply watched Tess with a keen eye.

Din decided to break through the tension by saying. "I've seen them do things I can't explain." Tess clenched her jaw. "My task was to bring him to a Jedi, and..." he looked over to Tess beside him. "Her as well." Tess nodded solemnly.

After a moment's pause, Ahsoka said slowly. "The Jedi Order fell a long time ago."

"So did the Empire." the Mandalorian replied. "Yet it still hunts him." At that, Tess stood quickly, her leg aching as she came to look down upon the others. She crossed her arms, eyes half closed. The Mandalorian turned to her sharply, his shoulders tensing. Tess shook her head, as if speaking to herself.

"I..." she started. "I'm tired. I'm going to bed." her tone was so harsh it cut into everyone sitting around the light. The Mandalorian was most affected. He rose instantly, stepping closer, but Tess shook her head again, this time in warning.

"Goodnight." she said to no one in particular, and walked away, heading towards the small huts stationed in a circle, Ahsoka's home. The Mandalorian watched after her, tempted to run and stop her, but he didn't. Ahsoka looked down to her lap, a knowing look on her face. Din didn't turn around until Tess disappeared into the hut, her metal leg glinting in the fading light.

The man sighed and turned back around to see Ahsoka watching him.

"They need your help." he told her, coming back to the circle and sitting down beside the child. Ahsoka took a deep breath and peered at the child, who's eyes were closed, then back up to where Tess had disappeared into the night.

"Let them sleep." she finally responded. "I'll test him in the morning." she gestured to Grogu. "And her..." the woman paused, her eyes trained on the space above the Mandalorian's shoulder.

"We'll see." she finished, voice full of emotion Din could not decipher.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

When Tess opened her eyes later, they peeled slowly, closed shut from the long embrace of sleep. Her limbs were heavy, partial paralysis holding her in place. At some point in the night, her body had curled. Cuddled close to herself, knees tucked in and hand under her soft head.

A weight was pressed against her side, its soft flesh rising and falling against her. One of its hands reached up and held her own. Tess forced herself to look down, seeing the child —Grogu, she had to remember that— resting its head against her stomach, fast asleep. Her small pink mouth was slightly open, wide eyes closed and gargantuan ears squished against her jacket. A blanket was under him, cocooning Tess in a comfortable warmth.

She frowned. Not an angry frown however, not a scrunch of the mouth that suggested a threat, but a gentle, precise frown encased in puzzlement. She hadn't had a blanket when she'd fallen asleep. Someone had tucked her in during the night.

This, however, was not unwelcome.

Tess moved her hand from under her head, shifting her weight, trying to be as gentle and quiet as possible. She didn't want to wake Grogu, not after the taxing night he'd spent communicating with Ahsoka. As if in response, the knot under her ribs, the ball of light that shone whenever she used her power, the Force, as Ashoka called it, flashed bright.

The Force. The Force. Tess rolled the word over in her mind, seeing where it fit, seeing where it clashed with all she'd ever known. It made sense, being called that, but it seemed like too insignificant a word for what she held within her.

Her power was more than just a force, it was the universe. It expanded and retracted in her stomach, running along her veins. It swam inside her head. It made her who she was.

The force was also a forgiving description, because it did not tell how much the power hurt. How much it ate at her insides, infused itself with her anger.

How much it pulled her flesh apart at the seams, stripped her of all armour and rotted her brain.

Tess looked down once more, gently reaching for the child. It yawned, and she froze, but luckily did not wake up. She let out a silent breath, craning her neck to the side, where the bulky form of the Mandalorian lay crumpled on the opposite side of the makeshift tent. The morning sunlight glinted off his beskar clad figure, and Tess watched as his chest rose and fell with the steady monotony of sleep.

Tess moved with the grace of a loping bantha, her leg being of no help, creaking as she pushed the blanket away from her and sat up. The soft tendrils of moss clung to the back of her jacket, tickling her flesh. Tess refrained from dropping the child and reaching up to scratch it away. instead she held him close to her chest as she stood fully, back stretching and legs wobbling. Then she gently placed him back on the makeshift mattress.

The hut they were staying in was small, made of wet wood, clung together by thin ropes made from tree bark. It was right to assume that Ahsoka had made them herself, probably when she'd first arrived here. Or, Tess thought, Ahsoka had been living on this planet her entire life, which would explain the musty smell of washed away rot. But Tess didn't think so. Ahsoka didn't seem like the type of person to stay in one place forever. That spot was reserved for Tess, or, the Tess she'd used to be.

The girl made her way to the entrance, trying to be as quiet as possible. She didn't look back as she exited the hut, stepping into the short grass. The moment her feet landed on the moss stones that made up the floor, cold seeped through her boots, instantly encasing her flesh foot in an icy cocoon. It made her other foot, the one of metal and gears, tense up. Tess had never been able to figure out how to keep the cold from being a problem, it was the one thing she never seemed able to fix.

Tess stalked forward, crossing her arms over herself as the chill morning breeze wormed its way through her jacket. She was still wearing the coat the Mandalorian had given her. It was heavy, made of dark wool and definitely too big for her, but for some reason, she couldn't take it off.

Tess walked over to the cluster of boulders they'd been sitting on that evening. Everything was covered in a clean sheet of water. Tess frowned. They'd never had such things on Tatooine, where everything was scorching heat and sweat against skin. There was never a fresh breeze that tickled her nose and made her cheeks blush from the cold. It was as if the air was washing away the grime that invisibly covered her face. Tess let out a deep breath, and the air swirled from her lips as if it had a mind of its own. Sunlight streamed in from between the scraggly trees, and a heavy weight was placed on top of Tess. Not hurtful, exactly, just heavy. Tess' shoulders sagged, and for a moment she closed her eyes, listening to creatures scuffling along the trees, to the snap of branches and swaying of leaves. It all focused in, all became a loud, relaxing symphony that rang out through her mind.

Tess had never heard anything like it.

"The Song of the Force." a voice sounded from behind her, soft and slow, lilting, as if she too had the heavy weight upon her. Tess didn't bother to turn around, she was too busy trying to shake the dizziness that replaced the. She raised a hand to her head, massaging her temples, but it did nothing to replace the dull ache that now found a home at the base of her neck. Ahsoka walked closer, coming to a halt beside the short girl.

"What?" Tess asked absent-mindedly, looking up to the woman. Ahsoka had a small, knowing smile on her face.

"What you're feeling," she answered after a moment. "It is the Force." Tess sighed, peering up at Ahsoka, glaring at the terracotta skinned Togruta. Ahsoka could see the tightness in Tess' shoulders, how she clenched her jaw at the word.

"I..." she started, letting out a breath and turning her head away. Her cobalt eyes roamed the trees, her mind reeling. Ahsoka waited patiently, not so much as moving. Tess massaged the muscles in her hand. Finally, after several minutes of agonizing silence, Tess whirled back, her face determined.

"What is it?" she asked plainly. "The Force?" Ahsoka opened her mouth to respond, but apparently the girl wasn't finished. "I know what you said last night, but that's... that's not what I'm asking. I just..." she'd never rambled before, always getting straight to the point. "Not what it's made of, but..." she took a deep breath, closing her eyes. "It's like an energy inside, and every time I use it, it feels like it's... eating away at me. Like it's alive and pushing away from me."

Ahsoka nodded. "The Force is mysterious."

"But why?" Tess continued. "Why does it hurt? Why does it..." she looked down at her gloved hands. "Why do I have it?" This was a whisper, barely audible, but much more powerful.

Ahsoka sighed and turned to Tess fully. "I do not know why you wield the Force, Tess. Nor do I know how you are so powerful when you've had no training, but what I do know is that the Force works in... strange ways, and if you are able to wield it, then there must be a reason." Tess hung her head.

"But be careful, Tess." Ahsoka continued. "The Force can be dangerous, if fueled by the darkness."

"Darkness?" the girl asked.

"Anger. Hate." Ahsoka said. "Fear." Tess frowned. "I sense much fear in you... and anger." Ahsoka's tone was serious now, dark, and Tess listened closely. "If this continues, your powers in the Force could lead you down a dark path."

Tess blurted out the words before she could stop herself. "I want it gone." Ahsoka turned to her sharply. "That's why I came... I want it gone." There was silence. Tess knew Ahsoka was looking at her, but she couldn't bring herself to continue. Now that she was here, now that she was in the presence of a Jedi, the person she'd come all this way for, Tess did not feel joyous. She did not feel triumphant. She felt ashamed.

"I see." Ahsoka finally replied, and Tess let out a frustrated, guilty breath, her eyes trained on the ground. She didn't look up as Ahsoka watched her, nor did she look up when there was movement from behind them and the woman turned away.

She didn't look up when the Mandalorian, child in his arms, walked up next to her, putting his hand on her arm.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

They walked in a single file line through the forest. Ahsoka led the way, ready to begin the tests for Tess and Grogu. The Mandalorian was next, child in his arms, and Tess made up the rear, growing slower by the minute. Ahsoka had said nothing since her confession earlier that morning, and Tess had not told the Mandalorian, even when he pestered her multiple times during their journey.

Up ahead, Ahsoka slowly came to a stop. The Mandalorian stood beside her as the woman looked at Grogu. Tess begrudgingly went beside Mando, but she was relieved for the pause. Her leg was killing her.

"We'll start with Grogu." Ahsoka told them, not unkindly. "Let's see what knowledge is lurking inside that little mind." Tess took a deep breath as she moved away, watching the Mandalorian place Grogu on a mossy stone as Ahsoka turned around. Din moved back to stand next to Tess, who crossed her arms, folding into the coat he gave her. The Mandalorian knew something was wrong, but Tess had not opened up to him since she'd revealed her past back on the Razor Crest. He knew how much strength that had taken, and how much it had meant for her to tell him. He wasn't going to push her, not now, and not ever again.

Ahsoka stared at Grogu for a moment, then opened the palm of her hand to reveal a small rock she'd picked up from the ground. Tess watched on in utter, complete silence. The Mandalorian peered nervously at the child. Slowly, Ahsoka turned her hand over, and the rock stuck to her hand, then slowly floated out and through the air, nothing underneath it to hold it airborne. Slowly, the object flew through the open space and landed in Grogu's hands. Tess could feel the Mandalorian shifting his feet beside her.

He was excited. She was not.

"Now, return the stone to me, Grogu." Ahsoka said. The child cooed, peering down at the rock in fascination, then up to Ahsoka in confusion.

"He doesn't understand." the Mandalorian spoke out loud.

"He does." Ahsoka replied, her hand still outstretched. Grogu whined, head tilting up and down, up and down. Tess breathed in deeply.

"It's okay." Ahsoka said to him. "The stone, Grogu." The Mandalorian made a gesture with his head, while Tess stood motionless as a statue.

After a moment of contemplation, Grogu dropped the stone, letting it fall to the ground with a muted thump. Din sighed, turning to Tess, who bit down on her lip. Was this what her test would be like? If so, there was no way in the whole Universe she would be able to succeed. Tess barely understood the Force, and hadn't gotten any answers from Ahsoka that morning. Her power came and went as vastly as the changing seasons. She didn't know what caused it to release from her fingertips, splitting her skull open and leaving her exhausted.

She didn't know anything.

Ahsoka walked over to Grogu, kneeling down. She collected the stone, one hand on her knee, and watched Grogu, who's eyes were now downcast. Ahsoka reached out and clasped his tiny hand with her own. Tess scrunched her nose, witnessing the transaction.

Then, Ahsoka said exactly what she had told Tess hours before. "I sense much fear in you." Without meaning to, Tess shuffled closer to the Mandalorian's side, and he let her. Grogu babbled and looked at Ahsoka's face. After that, the woman got up from her spot and turned to the other two in the forest. She stalked over to them, her eyes on the floor.

"He's hidden his abilities to survive over the years." she told them. "Let's try something else." she spun to look at Tess and Din, then back to the child. "Come over here." Tess and Mando shared a look. The girl raised an eyebrow as Din cocked his head to the side for Grogu. The child simply nodded his head.

"He's stubborn." the Mandalorian told Ahsoka.

"Uh, Mando..." Tess started before Ahsoka cut in.

"Not him." she said. "You." the Mandalorian looked at her sharply, and Ahsoka gave a wry smile. "I want to see if he'll listen to you." Tess slightly pushed Mando forward as he tried to stay to the side, and the man reluctantly went to stand beside Ahsoka.

"That would be a first." he told her.

Ahsoka smiled. "I like firsts. Good or bad, they're always memorable." At this, Tess tried to hide a small smirk that was playing on her lips. When Din saw it, she instantly covered her mouth with her hand. Ahsoka saw the way Tess was looking at Mando laughingly and raised an eyebrow. "You too, Tess." the girl instantly stopped, her frown returning.

"What?" she asked quickly.

Ahsoka pointed to the spot beside the Mandalorian. "You too." Tess scoffed as Mando gave her a pity look, and she walked sharply over to stand beside him, arms crossed. Ahsoka smiled softly and handed the rock to Mando.

"Now," Ahsoka told him. "Hold the stone out in the palm of your hand. And tell him to lift it up." the Mandalorian nodded and turned to Grogu, leaving Tess to wonder what her purpose was.

"All right, kid." Din said, and held out his arm. "Lift the stone." Tess shook her head.

Ahsoka leaned closer to Mando and said. "Grogu." Then she went behind both of them, standing to the side.

Din sighed and said. "Grogu." immediately, the child lifted his head, ears perking up. "Come on, take the stone." instead of doing as he asked, the child simply grunted. "You see? I told you, he's stubborn."

Ahsoka leant against the rock. "Try to connect with him." she told them. Both turned back to the child, who still appeared as innocent as ever. Tess bit down on her tongue. Din sighed deeply and put his hands on his hips. The trio stared at each other for what felt like ages, and finally Din moved, pulling out of his pocket the small metal sphere that he'd taken from Grogu earlier.

He held it out. "Grogu." This time, the child responded much more clearly, his small face lighting up at the sight of his favourite toy. Carefully, Mando lowered his body closer to the ground, and the child's eyes followed his every moment, eyes on the sphere. "Do you want this? Well, go ahead." Grogu began to reach for the toy.

Tess looked between the two, her eyes wide.

"That's right, take it." Din continued. Grogu's arm went farther up. "Come on. You can have it. Come on." At that moment, the sphere flew out of Din's hand and landed straight into Grogu's palm. He looked at it happily.

"Good job!" Din exclaimed, standing instantly and rushing towards him. "Good job, kid!" He turned to Tess, still standing. "You see that? That's right." Tess nodded softly, hiding the tiny smile that wormed its way onto her face at Din's pride in Grogu. "I knew you could do it. Very good."

"He's formed a strong attachment to you." Ahsoka pointed out. Tess looked over at her, her smile disappearing. Mando turned around, his eyes grazing over the girl's face before he turned to Ahsoka. The woman watched them, near silent, then nodded her head, as if she'd decided something.

Tess was surprised when Ahsoka pointed to her. "Now your turn." the girl frowned, her sharp features turning to cut glass. "Take the sphere back." Tess spun to look at Grogu, who watched her with his head cocked to the side.

"No, I..." she started, and Mando got up, heading back over to her.

"Tess, you must be tested." Ahsoka cut in. "Take back the sphere." Tess' lungs began to close up, her hands beginning to shake. Mando moved closer as she looked to the grassy floor.

"I can't." she finally answered, choking on her words. "I don't want them." she looked up, and her eyes glistened with unshed tears. "Can't you make them go away?"

Ahsoka shook her head. "It doesn't work like that, Tess. It never has." her voice grew serious, which only made everything worse. Tess shook her head. "Take the sphere, It will be alright."

"Tess," his voice was soft against her ear, and the Mandalorian held onto Tess like she was as delicate as ice. "It's going to be okay." Tess' head hung. "I promise." she looked up, staring into the impenetrable beskar that hid him from the rest of the world.

After a moment, Tess nodded slowly, apprehensively, instantly regretting it. But maybe with the Mandalorian by her side, it would be alright. Maybe the Force wouldn't hurt so much this time.

The child watched them with a dazed sort of look as Tess took her hands out of the coat pockets, and slowly raised one arm. The moment she did, her hands began to shake, the weight from that morning returned, placed permanently between her shoulder blades. Instantly, a sweeping wave took over her, and Tess let out a soft gasp.

Then came the split. The ripping at the seams. The power deep inside her, the ball of divine energy, the cataclysmic radiance that flowed through her veins, rose to the surface. It bubbled over each other, scrambling, racing along under her flesh like a podrace. Her fingers twitched, and she could barely feel Din holding onto her tighter.

The Force swelled up, the noises of the world, that symphony of calm washed over her, and for a split second, Tess Oprin no longer hurting, but instead healing. She flew. She soared. She could hear everything, she could see the whole Universe under her eyelids. The Song of the Force, as Ahsoka had called it. She could hear it. She could hear it.

But then came the screams. The muffled, terrible screams, and the cold. Tess gasped, unable to open her eyes, and she stumbled back, hitting the Mandalorian's chest. The Song became an uncoordinated symphony, and flashes of memories she didn't want to remember swelled to the surface.

Her parents, her leg, the blood that washed over her, the dragon destroying her forge, the saddened faces of the Marshal and Jo as she left them behind on Tatooine. It rose and rose, the crescendo soon to be upon them, and Tess was not ready.

The power was too much, the pain too great, the song too loud.

Tess was wrenched, her head hitting the metal plated chest of the Mandalorian as he pushed her arm away and Ahsoka stepped in front of them, shielding Tess from the child, who sat with sad eyes. The girl heaved in breaths as her hands clenched at her side and the Mandalorian turned her to face him, a hand on her shoulder, shaking her back to reality.

"Tess, Tess, it's alright." the girl shook her head, eyes wide. "Tess, Tess it's okay. You got it." she paused, her lungs seizing, before she looked up into the Mandalorians vizor. Under his helmet, a grim smile was painted across Din's face.

"What... What did I do?" she asked hoarsely. Ahsoka shook her head, hands clasped behind her. This was what she had been afraid of.

"You just..." Din started. "You just were a little too strong, but..." Tess groaned, her head throbbing. "But Tess, you did it." she stiffened, frowning up at him. Without saying another word, the Mandalorian motioned down to her clenched fist. Tess raised it, and slowly peeled back her finger to reveal... the little sphere.

She let out a breath, and despite the rush of agony that assaulted her senses, the girl allowed herself to smile, if only for a second, before turning around to face Ahsoka once more. The woman had gone back to the side, and looked between Tess and Mando and Grogu. Her face was numb, giving nothing away.

Tess held her breath.

Then, Ahsoka said lamentably. "I cannot train them." 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

AUTHOR'S NOTE. 

Y'ALLLLLL. I'M SO SORRY. IT has literally been months since I last updated this, and like, what? I deeply apologize bc I know I said I got inspiration back and then right after I got the worst writers block EVER so I kinda put this book on hold. Butttt I'm really happy to say that this is my main project now! Updates will hopefully be coming every week so stay tuned for that. 

ANYWAYS, what did you guys think of this chapter? I personally ADORE IT. What did you think of Tess and Ahsoka's conversation? It really builds on Tess' arc and how her hatred of the Force could potentially destroy her lol. What did you think of the test? And Mando and Tess getting closer? I really really love this chapter and I hope you guys did too. 

As always, don't be afraid to comment your thoughts, theories, and opinions, as well as VOTE and mayhaps give me a follow? I LOVE YOU ALL SO SO MUCH <333

Until next time (where the ultimate showdown begins and Tess learns a little bit more about herself)...

Love you, Mal

( beautiful new closing gif by Raichia )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.8K 2.1K 71
Promises are made to be broken. Deals are made to be kept. [The Mandalorian Season 1-2] I do not own the Mandalorian or any of the Star Wars Universe...
Escort By Nai

Fanfiction

2.8K 52 14
Warning I know nothing of Star Wars and I cannot believe I'm actually doing a fanfiction on the series, The Mandalorian. I fell in love with it and w...
57.5K 1.9K 20
under all that beskar, he had a heart of gold - A scared child, discarded on the dunes of Tatooine for being mute, soon finds herself in the care of...
2.1K 43 6
Between normal episodes of the Mandalorian, I have written cute Dinbo/Bodin stories, keeping as in cannon as possible. Thank you for reading! (Cover...