The Dark Crystal: Sifan Charms

By DCLGalloway

Set two years before the events of Age of Resistance, this tale centers around Tavra & Onica's adventures wit... More

ACT I
ACT II
ACT III
ACT IV
ACT V
ACT VI
ACT VII
Act IX
Act X
ACT XI
ACT XII
ACT XIII
ACT XIV

ACT VIII

139 52 5
By DCLGalloway

"Arrive at the Great Floating Village: Time to Follow the Fool!"

By the time the suns summited the hazy horizon the next day, Athyra's ship was already preparing the anchor as they approached their destination. Thanks to the dedication and talent of her crew, The Silver Rose was nearly directly outside of the Port of Sky, having made excellent sailing time through the calm waters through the early morning hours. 

Because of the still nature of the sea in this part of the ocean, Tavra and Onica had surprisingly fallen fast asleep after their turbulent meeting with Athyra, and the unexpected battle with the Wave Xeric. Both Tavra and Onica were still unclear of their origins or purpose, as Athyra refused to tell them more upon the conclusion of their ceremony. She claimed it would only upset them, and as always, that the time simply was not right. Onica had learned to accept these notions of hers, even though the questions filling her mind were starting to spill over. Yet Tavra often reminded her that a Far Dreamer's roll in this situation was only to experience the moment. If given all the answers at once, her readings and visions would never stay clear. Athyra knew this. And so she remained steadfast and reluctant. 

At sun's first light, both were woken gently by Loe, who simply cracked the door and whispered through it, as if he were a breath of passing wind. With all so quiet, and with her warrior's spirt ever present, Tavra woke at once to hear the command. Athyra had called for them once again. 

In moments, rubbing their sleepy eyes and adjusting their bedridden clothes, they emerged on the deck of the ship. To their surprise, the deck was relatively still and quiet. Free of commotion and noise; only a perfectly serene energy flowing all around them. Athyra's crew surrounded the borders of the ship, hands pressed tight to the railings, gripping in anticipation, taking in the wonderous sights around them. They had arrived. 

"Come and see," Athyra's voice called out to them from behind. Tavra and Onica turned to see Athyra fully clothed and still tattered from the night before. Her face was unwashed, splattered with ash from the battle, and parts of her boots and hair were still wet, as if she has remained vigilant the entire night. Like the ocean. "We have arrived at last." She placed her rough hands on their backs, pushing them forward into the small crowd of her crew. As they parted to make way, Tavra and Onica found themselves overwhelmed by a commanding sight, as their eyes were flooded with morning sunlight.

Before them was a massive town, suspended over the sea on stilts. It appeared to be pieced together with old ship hulls, masts, and sections of deconstructed buildings, held together by strong iron bindings and huge nails driven through thick tree trunks. It reminded Tavra of Athyra's pub back in Cera-Na. Perhaps this is where she had attained the notion, had she lent a hand is assisting it's design. The town was truly a sight to behold. Existing as the only settlement in all of Thra built over the water, it instantly instilled a sense of wonder and awe. There was something truly stunning about this floating city, and it beckoned questions of it's purpose, construction, and inhabitants. 

Swiftly catching a strong wind current, Athyra's ship began to pass underneath the hulking structures; her masts nearly missing thick ropes, netting, and random polls which appeared to be jutting from the bottom, cutting away just before they reached the water line. They were marked with several stripes and numbers along the sides. Tide indicators, Tavra imagined. From this vantage, she could now see the underbelly and innerworkings of the strange construction. Some sections appeared to be brand new, possibly just installed a few days ago, with fresh paint of crimsons and blues granting a glowing hue to the wooden flesh. And yet, some of the other sections were far older. Rusted, decrepit, and splinted alarmingly, often lining the bottom portions of housing.

As they came into the center of the structure, Tavra and Onica held the railings tight and arched their heads far back to receive the grand sight of the town's entrance. A massive wooden atrium soared above them, filled with old banners, sailcloths and protruding fishing/supply lines, spiraling upwards in a wonderous circular design. It was as though they were at the bottom of a great well, staring far up to the sky, now centered in a small hole over their heads. 

Unlike all of the other ports Tavra had encountered, the Port of Sky was entered not from the side, but from the bottom. When Athyra's ship had entered the heart of the port, she gave a signal for vessel to slow to a stop, and almost immediately the ship halted; gripped by the giant smoothed docking logs beneath them. At the same time, thin rope lines were suddenly cast through the air and down onto the ship, with friendly voices beckoning their arrival.

"The Silver Rose!" One called out. "She has returned! Athyra has come!"  Another yelped. 

"Well met, my friends!" Athyra lifted a hand into the sky to give an affirmative wave.

"I trust the sea finds you well, Captain!" A lineman shouted to her.

"Fair seas!" She returned.

The lineman nodded with a smile, then signaled to his men. "We're all set--platform!" He ordered.

As the crew began to gather around the port side of the ship, eager to set their feet on stable land once again, a wide platform constructed from a ship's hull dropped from the side of rafters, steadily lowering until it was flush with the side of Athyra's ship. With thundering feet, her crew piled quickly onto the platform two or three at a time, some already gazing upwards in anticipation of delights Tavra and Onica could only imagine for the moment. 

Athyra ushered Tavra and Onica ahead of her, ensuring they had enough room to breath. Then she turned to Loe. "Loe, see that our Samaudren is safely inside the port before you disembark. Take charge of the repairs, and inform the crew not to wander far or make reservations," she glanced into the air. "We must be prepared to leave at any moment. It's a mission this time, not a pleasure cruise."

"Yes, Captain." Loe gave a quick respectful bow, then ran to the aft deck of the ship to keep an eye on the other arriving vessels. 

Athyra jumped onto the platform, shaking the flimsy decks unexpectedly, then waved to the top of the rafters. "Ready!" She called out.

With each inch ascended, Tavra and Onica looked on in wonder as a brand new world slowly unfolded before their eyes. Every level of the complex seemed to be different. Although stout and rotund in shape from the outside, once inside, the massive central shaft produced an elongated appearance, with every level representing a layer of activity. Shops, eateries, ship mast construction, and small homes studded into the walls. Children ran dangerously around the edges, workers climbed worn leather ropes to the rooftops, bulky fishing nets emerged from the sea, sloshing water onto the heads of unaware civilians. The town was bustling--teeming with life and energies of all kinds. 

Once at the top, the platform slowed and gradually attached itself to the upper deck. Many of Athyra's impatient crew began to pile off before it even reached the top, leaping across the gap and strutting confidently into the inner sections. Athyra guided Tavra and Onica safely off, then turned to the linesman. "Pleasure to see you once again, Vaun." She proclaimed.

"The pleasure is all mine, of course." Vaun smiled as they exchanged a hearty shake of their arms. "We've been expecting you." He added.

"I'm expected?" She wondered.

"Yes. I thought this is why you had come?"

She was confused at first. Although she had many friends here, no one had called her directly to the Port of Sky. She had only come because of Onica's vision, and of course none could have known this. Yet, due to the vision itself, Athyra concluded she was expected. After all, there was a clear reason Onica guided her here. "Padra?" She asked him. Vaun said nothing, only giving one stern, unblinking nod. "Who else?" She said to herself in a gruff sigh.  

"It is not always bad news." Vaun stated.

"Not always. But mostly." She retorted, and began to walk away. Then she abruptly turned back again. "Oh, and I will require a bit of maintenance--if you couldn't notice."

Vaun shrugged and smiled. "I expect it. Do you know where to find him?" He asked.  

She turned to walk away again. "He'll find me." 

When her crew had all but disappeared into the complex, Athyra continued to guide Tavra and Onica through a large open doorway held together with iron rings, clasping large thick stone pillars, and led them into the town. As they passed through, they realized they were at the top of a slope made from smoothed, flat beach rocks, which descended gently into a gathering of small shacks, circular houses and tall, thin rectangular spires cutting through the misty sea clouds like spikes. 

The main town of the Port of Sky was situated entirely on the upper most deck, allowing the stacked inner decks to be used solely for work and commerce. This was a rooftop town, floating free through the ocean skies, covered by the bright blue sky during the day, and surrendered to the twinkling diamonds of the night upon evening fall. Banners with various ocean designs were caught high in the open air. Gardeners tended to their plants under the flutter of gull wings. Children jumped from one roof to the other. Gelfling of all shapes and sizes plodded through the sky village, winding around alleyways and through the thin rocky streets. Some with daily agendas, but most with a sense of relaxation as they went about their untroubled lives.

Tavra and Onica were in awe at every sight. Marveling over the sheer beauty and uniqueness of this place. It was as if they had wandered into a dream. "I had always heard stories of this place," Tavra commented. "But the tales were so sparse, they had mostly fallen into myth."

Athyra turned to her. "Perhaps if the Vapran army spent more time exploring than preparing to battle imaginary enemies..."

"Don't start, Athyra," Onica interrupted. "Let us simply agree that this place is wonderous."  

Athyra surprisingly nodded in agreement and walked them forward, dipping deeper into the ever expanding town before them. "They are mostly Sifa, if you are curious." She stated, glancing around at the activity.

"Sifa?" Tavra repeated.

"Yes. Of course, many are also Dousan, and a few Stonewood wayfinders as well."

Onica was mildly shocked by this. "Settlers from the desert?" She wondered. "It's almost hard to believe. This environment is the exact opposite."

"Makes it easier to believe, I would say." Athyra countered. "Who would turn down the ocean after a life of choking sand?"

Onica scoffed. "Those less dedicated to their clans."

"Or those more progressive and adventurous?" Athyra raised an eyebrow at her.

"And the wayfinders?" Tavra asked, catching sight of a Stonewood just as she said it. "I thought they only guided travelers through forests?" 

Athyra shook her head. "Only a few still do that today. Most of them have ended up here."

"But how?"

Athyra took a breath. "Well, after several trine spent guiding travelers, many stories of this place continued to shape their conversations. Until eventually, they began to wander themselves, searching for this mysterious port. It became a sort of...promised land, if you will." She stopped and motioned to the town. "Once they finally discovered it, they decided to stay. Even raised full families. Completely separate from the Stonewood. Yet, still carrying their traditions and wisdom." 

Onica's amazement grew with each notion. She was beginning to understand that even with all of Athyra's unique and bizarre attributes, she was in fact not alone. It seemed that many Gelfing from the most unexpected clans had followed the same path Athyra had taken. Choosing to break free from the restraints of the lives they were expected to live, and instead deciding to carve their own paths. The world of Thra was blooming anew before her eyes.

"Fascinating. Truly." Tavra thought aloud. "I must admit, I did not imagine our adventures would manifest so quickly, and with such staggering new concepts. I feel as though we have experienced a life time already."

Athyra was honestly pleased by this statement. She accepted it as a warming compliment. "And our journey has only just begun." She added with a coy expression.

"Speaking of that," Onica blurted, letting her feet guide her away and into the town. "Do we have time to explore as well?" She grabbed Tavra's hand. "Come on then, let's have a good look!"

Athyra reached out and grabbed Tavra's other hand, causing a brief unexpected tug-of-war. Tavra bobbed like a rubber doll between them. "Wait, Onica!" Athyra pulled them both back to her. "It's not time yet."

Onica sighed with heavy distress. "Are you the captain of this port now, as well?"

"I am always your captain. No matter where we step." She smiled. "Now come along. We have a destination in mind."

"You have a destination in mind." Onica mocked petulantly, following Athyra down one of the side streets. 

"Why must we always follow you?" Tavra asked, attempting to maintain her view over the town. 

"Because you are my body guards." Athyra stated in a dry, humorous tone.

As the sun began to set behind a high bank of clouds in the far distance, the sky radiated with a purple hue, casting dark lavender shadows over the wooden rooftops. Silhouettes of the sea gulls flew over head, weaving between the wisps of ghostly smoke billowing from the small stone chimneys. When they came at last to the precipice of the northern side of the structure, Athyra stopped them and directed her gaze at one particular building. 

Upon the roof of one odd building--shaped like a sharp tooth jutting over the side of the complex--were a series of what appeared to be weather balloons. Wide and flowing freely in the sea breeze, they wandered back and forth, half filled with air and bumping into each other frequently. The objects were framed by small, flustered wind mills, squeaking with rust and spinning dramatically with each gust of wind. The strange house seemed to be covered in various instruments for measuring the weather, or the pattern of the waves and wind. Within moments of catching sight of it Onica knew this was their destination. 

Just as Athyra was about to speak again, a voice bellowed behind them. "Interested in that house, are you?" Said a soft, grumbling voice. Tavra and Onica jumped with a flash of panic, then spun around to face the new stranger. 

He appeared to be an old man, dressed in robes as blue as the sea itself, with a tattered white knitted hat that fell onto his snow white hair, dangling down his back. His face was round, his eyes sleepy, and his skin worn and alabaster. A brush of a mustache hung below his nose, and the sides of his whiskers were strung together with beads and charms, which jingled around his face with each step. He shuffled toward them with a hunch in his back, like an aging turtle bumbling aimlessly to his next destination, keeping rhythm with only a knotted walking stick made from a straightened tree root. The shards of sea glass stuck into the wood shimmered in the sunlight, reflecting in their eyes. 

"I knew you'd find me." Athyra proclaimed, crossing her arms.

"What are you saying, dear girl?" The man remarked in a high, whirly voice. "I am merely walking to my home. Enjoying the sweet mists of the sea as I wander through another glorious day. Ripe with time, yes. But not so ripe with the body. HA!" He chuckled like a croaking frog, then began waving his stick at the sky abruptly. "Wind, yes. Wind and cloud. Bird. The birds, the birds!" He called out. 

Tavra and Onica's faces grew odd with wonder and confusion, stepping slightly to the side and allowing the giggling man to walk by. When he had passed, Onica stepped toward Athyra slowly. "And he is..?" she pointed to him. 

Athyra grinned and uncrossed her arms. "A friend."

"I am sure of it." Onica replied.

"What does that mean?"

Onica shrugged with splayed fingers. "He seems like someone you would know?" 

Her obviously humorous inflection caused Athyra to let a genuine laugh slip. She bowed her head to cover her smile and walked after the old man. "I suppose you are right." She waved for Tavra and Onica to follow. "Come. Time to follow the fool."

NEW CHAPTER NEXT MONTH!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229 9 5
Helen went from being next to the river at her family's cabin to a situation that seemed like it was right out of a fantasy novel. Her studies had be...
243K 15.3K 67
Iliana Katrakis couldn't care less about the will of the gods, and she's certain they feel the same way about her. After all, it's rare for the god...
13.2K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
733 23 26
🩸Corintha Dorem has been taken, torn away from all she loves to be used for the mad schemes of Drake Norzem. Now her friends must set off on a darin...