Forty Winks | K. Shirabu

By shia-nx

They weren't supposed to be each other's fleeting dream. haikyuu! fanfiction ©shia-nx More

𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗞𝗦 | 𝗞. 𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗔𝗕𝗨
𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗦𝗘
┗ 𝘍𝘐𝘙𝘚𝘛 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘚𝘌𝘊𝘖𝘕𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘍𝘖𝘜𝘙𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘍𝘐𝘍𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘚𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘚𝘌𝘝𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘌𝘐𝘎𝘏𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘌𝘓𝘌𝘝𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘓𝘍𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘍𝘖𝘜𝘙𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘍𝘐𝘍𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘚𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘚𝘌𝘝𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘌𝘐𝘎𝘏𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘌𝘛𝘌𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘐𝘌𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘚𝘌𝘊𝘖𝘕𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘍𝘖𝘜𝘙𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘍𝘐𝘍𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒
┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘚𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘏 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒

┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘍𝘐𝘙𝘚𝘛 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒

64 6 0
By shia-nx

━━━━━━━━

𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘍𝘐𝘙𝘚𝘛 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒:
you dislike the way i study.

━━━━━━━━

She stretched her hands overhead after settling down her seat on the floor along with the younger male. Her eyes immediately darted over to him, wondering if there had been any signs of discomfort with the new setting. Goshiki was well accommodating himself; palms laying neatly on the ground as he sat down. Doing so, he calmly looked at the table they shared and the papers scattered. He wasn't particularly enthusiastic with the surrounding— unlikely to the fact that he always seemed to be whenever he encountered unknown places during trips and whatnot. She presumed that it wasn't his first time hanging out in Shirabu's dorm room, or anyone else for that matter.

It wasn't anything odd. The volleyball team was closest to each other than any other because of these dorms. They get to spend time with each other the most— during and after school hours, even on their breaks, and time for other recreational activities of their choice.

"You shouldn't rely on her too much, Goshiki."

And thus, serenity can only last for a short time.

Yui looked at him, as pleasant as she could muster, "Is that concern so that I wouldn't have too much on my workload?"

"I— won't! I'll do my best!" Goshiki assured, gaze darting between the two individuals.

"That's not what I meant."

The setter blankly retorted, before seeming to give up in further proving his point as he went back and stared at the multitudinous words on his own book. He was in his own study desk beside the bed with a pen in hand and papers at reach. His chin rested on the knuckle of his hand as his elbow touched the surface of the board. Yui couldn't quite make out his train of thoughts for she could only see the side of his face. However, his posture and features reminded her enough of tranquility— of resplendency found in the comfort of seclusion.

"If it's not, spare me from doom."

He was surely going to inject a painful reply if she had not stated such.

When the setter reached to grab his earphones, pushed, and blocked the world away from himself, Yui turned to entertain the younger male with her whole attention.

"Do you have a copy of coverage for Math?"

"Ah, yes— I brought it."

Since Goshiki sat across from her, she could see every diminutive, even insignificant, motions he did. He buried his hand in his bag in search of the information she asked for. Written in rather distinctive handwriting that she assumed was his own, she took the paper from his grasp and scanned the characters. She noted that the letters were enlarged somehow and he tends to place more pressure on the pen when writing. From the rather inconsistent line of words, she could see that he must have written it in a hurry.

It was all the exact opposite of her habits when it comes to writing, so it was new to see.

"So, do you have like— more trouble when it comes to formulas or word questionnaires?" At the way he diverted his eyes, she hummed in thought. As far as she remembered, she didn't particularly have any trouble with the math exams she took in her first year. The topics were tackled properly. Word problems required no more than analysis and a few senses. Basic statistics were little— so depending on his response to a few practice problems, she might already have a way to help him.

She stood up and took a few sheets of plain paper on Shirabu's supply, deeming that she didn't have anything. The male merely spent a second to look before going back to his business. The female went back to her seat and wrote a few equations she remembered before offering it to the younger male, "Try answering these first."

Nodding, he took it and delved into his despair. While he'd be occupied in wrecking his brain, she folded the spare paper— once again, going through the process of standing up, getting scissors, Shirabu not bothering to look this time, and sitting down— and cut into smaller rectangular pieces.

Goshiki took a peek and wondered if she was planning on making origami or something while he's busy. When she started writing on the pieces, it threw away all of his ideas; instead, opting to focus on the equations.

As much as he could, that is.

He sent it back to her once he finally gave up.

"You got the first one right." He maintained his composure— he knew he'd somehow get a point for the first. It was like one of those items he'd get correct out of a hundred, so he didn't celebrate early, "The rest weren't."

He sulked.

"Don't worry. The rest I gave was harder than necessary. It's Math in the 2nd year. If you'd broken down the equation first and used the basics, you could still answer it. You're not entirely hopeless, Goshikii-kun." That statement caused him to rejoice; lips turning to grin. "But, you definitely didn't get all the basic steps correct, so—"

She gathered the pieces of paper in her palm, placing them on top of the other as she made a little rectangular book. Ushering it towards him, he opened his fist to examine what's written, "We're not leaving this room until you memorize all the needed formulas, okay? We can start the actual uhm.. session tomorrow."

"T—That's impossible, Otsuka-chan!"

"I told you." The setter interrupted, eyes not bothering to look. He was still wearing music in his ears, so he might have had his volume several limits down as he was able to hear their conversation, "Her way of studying is the worst. It's no surprise that her teaching would be the same."

"Why—" She crossed her arms, "There's nothing more effective than on-the-spot memorization."

"All at once? That doesn't work for everyone, Yui. Especially Goshiki. I bet he'd forget it the next day."

The male in mention would've been angered if he wasn't in a particularly tight situation. He could only mutter, "Especially..?"

"It will. Just watch! Well— if it doesn't," She stared at Goshiki, before shaking her head in disagreement, "No— it will."

"You sound exactly like Tendou-san's ringtone."

She furrowed her brows, "What?"

"It's horrible."

"Kenjirou! I swear—"

"C-Calm down, Otsuka-chan."

Yui huffed under her breath before nodding in futility, "Right. So can you do it, Goshikii-kun? It'll be a whole lot easier after. I swear it on Shirabu's life."

There was a short hesitation as the male knew of the meltdown that comes along with the decision of agreeing; and he didn't know why he actually did. Maybe it was the hues of her eyes.

He sighed in defeat, "I'll try."

Her palm was emplaced on the middle of the table when she placed most of her weight on it for the other hand to reach out and situate itself on top of his head; smiling at him thereafter.

"You can do it."

Shirabu scoffed.

So when she returned to her previous position and the comforting sentiment was gone, he realized how easy it was for her to recollect herself. The dismays from forgetting to bring her hair tie, the frustrations from imperfect activities and projects, the inconvenience when her favorite food at the store runs out of stock — it was all fleeting. She doesn't hold on to negativity for too long and it was evident in her reassuring words and pleasant expressions.

In the same way, she had no problems with removing thorns from her life.

While Goshiki was entertaining his demise with his eyes closed and face distorted rather in displeasure, she was about to focus on her own when her phone suddenly lit up on the table.

The frown gracing her lips went unseen. She was reminded that there was one thorn she couldn't remove and her mind ached to think it was the prickling sensation caught in her throat and the hazardous air that filled her lungs.

"Sorry, something came up." Garnering their attention, she placed her phone in her pocket. Unlike the haste in her eyes, she took the time in packing her belongings in her bag — seemingly waiting for the world to revolve further before she leaves.

"Text me if Shirabu threatens you to leave okay?"

"Is everything alright, Otsuka-chan?"

"Yes, yes. It's just an urgent message." Yui stood up, holding her bag before she turned to the other male examining her actions. 

Catching his eyes, she felt somehow at ease; like fate can throw anything at her and she'd be well. "Can I call you later?"

She could tell that his mind ran through countless simulations in that second; what he'll reply, what he'll do, and what he'll feel.

And then it stopped.

He was certain it was the hues of her eyes and the affection it held.

"Okay."

But the call never came.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.3K 15
You move to Japan after living in the states as a child, leaving your childhood friends behind. You now go to Karasuno high but didn't expect to find...
269K 10.9K 24
,,𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮!!!" ,,𝐌𝐞? 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐚𝐦 𝐢?" ,,𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦!!!!" ,,𝐎𝐡𝐡𝐡𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 �...
436K 17.2K 40
Less than half a year after their marriage, Y/N and Wakatoshi both face struggles in balancing love and their careers, and soon, even kids. 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏�...
3.9K 214 40
You, Shirosaki Kaori is a first year student Shiratorizawa Academy. An accident happened a day when you are on duty that led you met Shirabu Kenjirou...