┗ 𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒

━━━━━━━━

𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘋 𝘞𝘐𝘕𝘒:
you think of me as a bother.

━━━━━━━━

"I'm— I'm sorry." With trembling lips, a short intake of breath followed thereafter. She cleared her throat, as if that motion could stop her voice from cracking, while she fumbled with the strap of her bag. "I think I pressed the wrong contact."

"I figured as much— but, are you okay?"

His startlement was replaced with concern, she depicted in the tone he used. On the other end of the call, the male sat up from his bed abruptly to collect his thoughts. From the constant sniffles on the line, he didn't need to confirm that their manager was crying for a reason he really wanted to get a hand on.

He'd always known that she was strong— mentally and even emotionally. How she disregarded mean comments from others regarding her position as a manager, how she gets disheartened for a moment before smiling afterward to state that it was fine, how she pats him on the back to comfort him from bystanders booing when he couldn't get a point despite being a pinch server, saying that they're just side characters— he'd always known how capable she was of handling herself and those around her. Heck, even their fangirls don't phase her at all— her professionalism when it comes to those was astounding. There was one time when she casually accepted to take the picture for their setter and one of his fans. He perceived it was the fruit of being in front of people's eyes in her childhood; the way she was generally warm to those she values and passive to others.

So to hear the same person sound so fragile was quite heartbreaking.

"I'm not." It was a mumble that he had to place his phone closer in order to hear clearly. There was another sniffle at the phone before she continued, "But, I'll— I'll be. Thank you, Semi."

She'll genuinely say that someone was beautiful, that something was worth marveling at, that she's not fine, without any lies and abashment. It seriously lessens the trouble of having to solve a puzzle to someone's feelings.

The soft wind that came from the speakers halted his thinking process, as well as the faint sound of a beeping car in the background. "Where are you?"

"Uhm, I visited my father. I'm on my way back."

"Is that far?"

He noted that she didn't speak for a few seconds, perhaps hesitating to answer, "No, no— I'm near Sendai City Hospital."

"Oh." Unbeknownst to himself, he was standing up in his room while scratching his nape in distress, "Can I help you somehow?"

Even with tears, he could imagine the reassuring smile she wore as she whispered, "I'll take a cab home, don't worry."

There was no doubt that her gentle tone was what caused him to sit down once again on his bed, breathe, and calmly analyze the situation. As far as he knew from the setter, Yui wasn't on good terms with her father. Most likely, the reason for her anguish was her family; which he shouldn't ask about so lightly. He may not come off as such, but he knew well that he shouldn't touch other's private matters, no matter how troubled he was.

Deep down, he really wanted to know what made her heart break.

It should be no question that he was desperate to comfort his friend and manager; rub the small of her back, listen to her talk her heart out, pat her head in reassurance— the same way she does to him when he's down.