Elizabeth Harrison's Hope For...

By symhere

BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for... More

1: Mourning For Mother's Death
2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give
3: The Things She Left For Them
4: His Everyday Life
5: Doctors Are Not Gods
6: An Awkward Interaction
7: Her Savior
8: An Apology And A Slap
9: A Secret To Keep
10: The Pain He Is In
11: Like Mother, Like Daughter
12: Too Drunk To Think
13: The First Kiss
14: A Favor To Ask
15: The Key They Both Didn't Have
16: People Change
17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings
18: Slapped
19: Is It Too Hard To Get?
20: The Kiss They Shared Again
21: Elizabeth's Crush
22: A New Friend, Maybe?
23: The Housewarming Party
24: Just Him And Her
25: The Morning After
26: Breakfast
27: Asked On A Date
28: The Help Fay Needs
29: He Can't Resist Her
30: So Close
31: Screw The Rules
32: Can We Talk?
33: Who Is Mia?
34: I Like You.
35: Don't Be Sorry For How You Feel.
36: Mia And Elizabeth.
37: Suspicion.
38: Date Night.
39: Eliza.
40: In The Name Of Love.
41: A Bloody Night.
42: All Hell Broke Loose.
43: The One They Lost.
44: You Do.
45: Blur.
46: The Funeral.
47: An Unexpected Visitor.
48: The Truth.
49: Lost Her.
51: The Complete Truth.
52: Yet You Know.
53: The News.
54: Something To Remember Me By.
55: A Unique Friendship.
56: Leo Is Here.
57: Leo Knows.
58: Drunken Leo.
59: The Cold Night.
60: Leo Meets Fred.
61: The Unexpected Guest.
62: A Surprise Visit.
63: Ice Cream.
64: Elizabeth's Visitor.
65: Tattoos and Realization.
66: Unwanted Interruption.
67: Missing You.
68: Jen's Confession.
69: Wedding Planner.
70: Elizabeth's Realization.
71: Deal.
72: The Unexpected Guest.
73: Bonding.
74: Confession.
75: Jealousy.
76: Pain of the Past.
77: Breakfast And Kisses.
78: Ruby's Gift.
79: The Last One.
Epilogue.

50: Moving On.

898 42 0
By symhere

It has been two weeks since Leo last saw Elizabeth. Although it has been two weeks yet her words were fresh in his mind like she had just spoken them. "Leo, I am so confused. I don't know where I stand. I am unaware of truth – of what is happening – I am just – I am in a very blurred phase and – uh – I think – I should figure everything out on my own," she said as she looked in his eyes, "Alone," she added softly – trying not to hurt Leo more than she had already done. Leo can never forget the way he felt when she said that – she didn't need him but he couldn't do it without her so, he tried to reason her, "Elizabeth – I – get it. I know it is hard but – I can be here for you – to – I am here to help," Leo tried – he did. At first, he didn't plan on trying to make her change her mind but when the tightness in his chest increased and when the fear of losing her surrounded him – suffocating him – he had to try. Elizabeth closed her eyes briefly before she opened them with tears in her eyes – she didn't look back at him but kept his gaze down. "Please," his voice wobbled. "Please don't make this hard for me, Leo. I know I am being selfish here but I need some space and time to figure out everything." She snuffled as a tear fell from her eyes. She lifted her eyes and looked back at Leo's – his eyebrows were brought together. His eyes were teary – his chest tightened, "I am sorry – I cannot do this now, Leo – I am so sorry." Elizabeth cried.

Elizabeth was asking for too much from Leo but he knew that he had to give her what she wanted so he didn't try to push her. He simply nodded his head, "Alright, I will give you what you want." He said as he took a deep breath. It was so hard for him to control his tears but he had to keep them in. He blew his cheeks out, "Um – I can only wish you the best of luck. If – um – you ever need any help – don't hesitate to come to me for it." He told her to which she didn't react immediately – she just bowed her head and after a while spoke, "I am so sorry, Leo." She said again to which he forced a small smile, "It is alright," he replied with glossy eyes. It was getting harder for him to stay in the same room as her so, he cleared his throat and got on his feet, "Uh – your family must be waiting for you – I should leave," he told her. Elizabeth wanted to apologize one more time but Leo didn't give her the time and with a last glance at her – he left. What Elizabeth doesn't know is that Leo cried for her that night.

Leo will be returning to the hospital today – for two weeks he has been resting but his mind never went to rest – he was restless and miserable during this time. His external wounds might be healing quickly but he was badly wounded inside – but he was Leo – and Leo never shows what broke him – like always he plastered a fake mask on his face – pretending that he was okay. Leo has been living in a hotel room for the past two weeks – he wasn't sure if he was ready to move back to his place. He doesn't believe that he will ever find peace at that place again and therefore – he has decided to sell it and get a new place – that apartment holds some major bad memories that overshadowed all the good ones he had – mostly with his family and Elizabeth. But since Elizabeth and he is no longer together – he wants to keep everything in the past – along with the apartment. He dressed his wound that was healing nicely and then changed into fresh clothes before he walked out where his father and sister were already waiting for him.

Maria and Franklin were engaged in a conversation when they saw Leo walking out, "Morning," Leo greeted them monotonously and went into the kitchen without waiting for them to reply. Maria sighed as she saw her brother take the carton of milk out and pour it into the glass. Even though Leo thinks that he hasn't changed the way he behaves after Elizabeth broke up with him – but she and everyone around can see a clear difference in him – he has gone more tedious and indistinct. Maria felt as if the Leo that came back from Afghanistan has taken over his brother. It took him such a long time to find happiness only to be brought back to his hushed self. "Leo, are you sure about selling the apartment?" Franklin asked his son.

Leo looked at his father and nodded, "Yes, I am sure. I don't want to live there anymore." He replied to his father, "In fact, I have already asked someone to put it up for sale – they told me that I might be hearing from a potential buyer in the coming few weeks," he added while he washed the empty glass. He turned around and wiped his hand with a towel before looking at his sister and father, "What?" he asked as he caught them staring. Maria sighed and shook his head, "Nothing," she replied, and just when she was about to say something else – Ezra started crying in the other room where he was sleeping. Maria immediately grabbed her crutches and was about to stand on her feet when Leo stopped her, "Wait – let me get him." He asked her.

Both, Maria and Franklin were surprised to see Leo walk into the room where Ezra was crying. It has been almost a month since Maria brought Ezra with her and not once did Leo tried to bond with him. He didn't even help Maria take care of him, therefore, Leo's sudden interest in Ezra surprised his sister and father. Just in a couple of minutes, Ezra stopped crying. Franklin chuckled, "Wow – I did not expect that" he commented. Maria chuckled along with him and nodded, "Yes, that was unexpected," she agreed. Franklin sighed and mashed his lips together as he looked at Maria, "Maria, why don't you stay here for a couple more weeks? I think your and Ezra's presence will help Leo," Franklin suggested.

Maria is supposed to leave for New York next week along with Silas and Ezra while Franklin decided to stay with his son in Chicago. She wants to stay with her brother as well but she doesn't know if Silas would be able to live without Ezra for two weeks. They all live in the same hotel but different rooms and yet when she comes to stay with her brother and father – Silas visits them multiple times in a day – just to check on them. Maria heaved, "I want to but I don't know if Silas would be okay with Ezra and I being here," She answered him. Franklin nodded his head, "Maybe try talking to him – he is a smart guy – I am sure he will understand," He asked Maria to whom Maria nodded her head, "I will talk to him." She answered. There was silence between the two of them which was broken by Franklin once again, "Did you tell Leo?" he asked. Maria looked at her father and slowly shook her head. She knows what her father meant by that. She hasn't told his brother that Elizabeth will be flying back to New York with them on her own choice.

Maria took exhaled a tiring breath, "He is already so depressed from the break up – I seriously have no guts to tell him that Elizabeth has decided to leave Chicago. I don't know how he will take it, Dad. I honestly, don't want to hurt him more." Maria said to her father but what she doesn't know is that Leo could hear her speak when he held Ezra in his arms who slept while resting his head on Leo's shoulder. Leo didn't think he could feel more despondent until he heard his sister tell Elizabeth's plan of leaving Chicago to go back to New York. "She actually wants to go back to London – for Ruby but since she doesn't know about her yet, therefore – Owen agreed with her on only flying back to New York for now," Leo listened to his sister speak.

"Don't you think they should tell her about Ruby now?" Owen asked Maria. Maria sighed and nodded her head, "We all think so. We know that it will be more hurtful for her as long we wait but whenever anyone tried to tell her – something comes up and we end up delaying it. Elizabeth is getting discharged today and Owen has decided to tell her the complete truth when they get to New York," Maria tells her father while Leo listened to them from another room.

Elizabeth sat on the bed of her hospital room while Owen packs her bag as they were ready to go. Elizabeth was truly nervous to resume her normal life when so much had changed that she doesn't remember. Until she remembers or most probably gets used to the life she has been missing out on – she has decided to go back to London but since her father asked her to stay in New York – in case she decides to resume her job here in the US, therefore – she agreed on moving back to New York with her family. She couldn't stop feeling bad for Leo since the day she decided to end whatever they both had going on between them. Truthfully, it was hard for her to pretend to love him or trying to love him when she doesn't even remember him – for her he was only Maria's elder brother. She felt bad for doing this to Leo but she believes that it is the right thing to do for her and him as well. She couldn't keep him in or stay herself in a loveless relationship. She knows that Leo wanted to work on the relationship they had but Elizabeth had nothing to work on – she doesn't remember anything with him – what will she work on?

She looked at her father zipping her bag close when she asked what had been lingering in her mind for a while now, "Dad?" She called her out. Owen turned his head to look at his daughter and smiled, "Yes?" He asked. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes, "Is mom okay?" Her question shocked Owen. He gulped, "Uh – what do you mean?" He asked. She sighed, "I have been in this hospital for almost a month and yet she didn't call me. Despite what kind of a person she is – she would at least care enough to call or talk to me. Is she okay, Dad?" She asked again. This question has been bothering her for a while now. Not only her mother never called – her father wouldn't let her call her mother either. She was confused – something was wrong but she couldn't understand what it was. She and her mother might not have the greatest bond anymore but she still cares for Ruby and she knows that Ruby cares for her children as well then – what was it? Why wasn't she calling her now? Elizabeth suspects that there is something important she must be missing.

Owen wasn't sure how to answer his daughter but he had decided not to wait up for them to go back to New York – maybe it was time to tell her the truth. The longer they wait the harder it will be for her. Owen sighed and nodded, "She is – okay," he lied. "I will tell you the real reason when she hasn't called you yet when we reach the hotel, okay?" Owen doesn't believe that the hospital was where he wanted to break the news about Ruby's suicide to Elizabeth – he will wait until they get complete privacy. Her father's reply only made Elizabeth more anxious but – she nodded her head and went silent – hoping everything was okay with her mother. Leo showed up for the work although Ethan asked him to take a few days off he needed to take his mind of Elizabeth – and quietly honestly he wanted to see Elizabeth one last time before she leaves but when he reached the hospital – she had already left hardly a few minutes before. He sighed and blew his cheeks out as he sat in the call room alone – trying to make the pain and tightness in his chest go away but it was impossible – he couldn't believe she was leaving. He will not be able to see her again – God knows when he will be able to see her, talk to her – hold her. All the worse possibilities lingered in his mind – what if she finds someone new? What if she moves on? Leo knows for sure that he will not be able to see her with anyone else. It will completely break him.

While Leo was sitting alone in dark – there was a knock on the door. He lifted his head to see the door opened and saw Amanda standing with a small smile on her face. "Hey," she whispered. Leo forced a small smile as well, "Hey," he whispered back. There was a short pause before Amanda brought her eyebrows together and walked closer to Leo before she embraced him in a hug. Leo was surprised to see her like this. To his surprise, she soon started to cry while she had her arms tightly around him, "God, I thought I was going to lose you." She sobbed while Leo sat stunned, "Hey, it okay –" he tried to calm her down. She snuffled, "I tried saving her, Leo – I tried saving Rene but – I couldn't do it." She cried. "I didn't want her to die, Leo." Amanda cried. "Amanda, it isn't your fault." Leo hugged her back – trying to console her. After a couple of minutes, Amanda pulled away with tears streaming down her face, "I don't know if you consider me your friend but you are my best friend and I couldn't imagine losing you – I was so scared." She told him. Leo smiled, "Of course, you are my friend – Amanda." He chuckled. He might keep distant from others but he always considered her his friend – even when he didn't show it to her. "Good, because I swear if you would have said otherwise – I would that reopened that healing wound on your head," she told him causing him to laugh genuinely.

After a short day of work, Leo was headed back to the hotel he was staying in. He drove his car to park in the basement parking. He parked his car in an empty spot and stepped out of the car. He was walking to the elevator to get to the suite he was staying in when he was startled when he saw someone sitting on the ground with their knees to their chest in a small gap between the wall and the elevator. When he looked carefully – he realized that it was a woman in a white dress and the woman was no one else but Elizabeth – without giving it another thought, Leo, with his eyes widened stepped nearer to her, "Elizabeth," he called out her name. Leo wondered how she ended up here. She looked up at him monotonously. Leo completely forgot that Silas and Owen were staying at the same hotel, therefore, she would be in the same building as him. Elizabeth looked so small and petite – she has lost weight. Leo slowly kneed in front of her – not trying to get too close. "What are you doing here?" He asked her. She kept looking at him for a while before she asked in a small voice, "Did you know that my mother died?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 152 20
WARNING! Don't fall in love with the flirt. You're bound to get your heart broken... Growing up, Jasmine Lopez has always been the pretty one. Her st...
5.5M 28.4K 9
{ CURRENTLY REWRITING } With one of the best college grades and her masters degree in hand, Emma Durson's next plan is to move to New York to pursue...
397 34 17
Bella is the girl who lost everything to cancer, and her world suddenly revolves around her sickness. She lost her friends, her mother, her confidenc...
1K 12 26
After getting her heart broken by the man she was ready to give it all up for, Raven Jocelynna goes back to her home, once again thrown back into her...